AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 63 53.85%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 29.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 9.40%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 5.13%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.71%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-11, 10:44   Link #61
Oberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
Too much reused animation for Giga Drill Breaker
At the moment (*), I find the reuse of the giga drill breaker animation somehow appropriate. To me, it signaled that Simon has completely succeeded Kamina's "legacy" by doing the same move on his own, without "Aniki's" help. We, and more importantly the other characters as well, saw that Simon by himself can be every bit as good as Kamina was. Though I really wish they hadn't given him the "chain smoker voice" during the "GIGA DRILL BREAKER!" part.

Heh, as for a different explanation, if I wanted to take the "artistic approach" even further, then one could argue that Gainax did indeed simulate the 80's era of super robot shows rather well, as the the signature move of a super-robot in that time was oftentimes stock footage with the opponent of the week just interchanged (for example Star Musketeer Bismarck/Saber Rider).

(*) Of course this argument will only hold truth, until they reuse this animation in future episodes as well. In that case it would indeed give the impression of "just" a budget induced animation shortcut. So for now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
Old 2007-06-11, 10:50   Link #62
passenger

it was a good shonen episode. still it was sad how his comrades that did not give a damn about him while he was useless , sucked his ass vigorously in the end. in this kind of plot in which humanity is to be saved you expect main characters to have more dignity.
Old 2007-06-11, 12:28   Link #63
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
Animation was underwhelming. Too much reused animation for Giga Drill Breaker (first part still had the backgroud of the fight from ep 8 ffs) and I didnt care much for the insert song which Kinda took away from the whole sequence but then again, the score for the show is REALLY good and the music during the giga drill beaker in episode 8 was the best of them all, so its hard to compete with that. (btw when the hell is the OST coming out damnit!)

Was good, though it could have been MUCH better.

The scene with the Lagann flying in the sky with Nia and Simon sitting in it was fantastic though. That whole shot practically made the episode for me. Ver similar to the shot in episode 1 when they first brok out of the underground, except in broad daylight.
Heh, that scene was one of my biggest complains about the animation this episode, which despite looking on the cheap side didn't felt really limited other than a few sequences thanks to a great deal of help from the framing and scene composition. Well, that and the fact that outside of 4 particular scenes, yes I counted them, the "art" and "design" were never really "off". For example, the first half was actually done pretty interestingly other than 1 second or so with Kitan talking to the "harem-girl-in-training" from Guamu's village and the moment when the beastman arrived to Simon's lair and Nia defended him.

I actually enjoyed both the dialog and the visuals accompanying it in the Nia and Guamu classical Gainax “two people in chairs talking”, the script wasn’t half bad, the tension was good and the foreshadowing and hopelessness were really ace… the storyboard there was also excellent to a degree, not as completely crazy or cinematic as Imaishi’s 1 and 8 but still remarkable for what it worked out to be. They attempting to crave out of jail after the eyecatches was visually part of the best this episode and Kamina’s flashback was awfully emotionally effective. Nia’s challenge to Guamu in the Dai-Gurren's control room for sure suffered due to the animation, specially considering the first half with Guamu stylishly standing up was very likable yet the actual “build-up" with the rifle suffered due to the sketching for those scenes. Simon’s arrival was average, not bad at all, yet they breaking out was a good idea that suffered from illustrations.

Genber’s challenge was another mixed bag, with some pretty keys but a the moment before Simon arrived being a little bit “not-dynamic”. Simon’s revival was A+ Yoshinari even with the reused Sushio “Giga Drill Breaker” and the finale was just average without being bad, even if for myself I would’ve liked something better considering the backgrounds for them were just perfect. The worst was the last scene with them finally moving towards the capital... that could have used some better… style maybe? Something a little bit more “epic” would have helped.
Old 2007-06-11, 13:11   Link #64
Kamion
うぷぷぷ・・・

Send a message via ICQ to Kamion Send a message via MSN to Kamion
10/10
If Episode 8 didn't do it already, this Episode made TTGL jump up in my fav anime list. Maybe even nearly all to the top.
The Kamina-Bust thing was creepy though... but it's understandable... kind of :/

So the princesses don't remember anything from their past lives? I guess that there will be a lot more to be found out about Nia then. Maybe she shares some connection with Yoko (that would be rather cheesy though).
Episode 8 still scares me, since it showed that GAINAX won't hesitate to kill off popular chars when they feel that the death is necessary to proceed in their storytelling. I don't want Nia to die :/
Old 2007-06-11, 13:33   Link #65
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamion View Post
10/10
If Episode 8 didn't do it already, this Episode made TTGL jump up in my fav anime list. Maybe even nearly all to the top.
The Kamina-Bust thing was creepy though... but it's understandable... kind of :/

So the princesses don't remember anything from their past lives? I guess that there will be a lot more to be found out about Nia then. Maybe she shares some connection with Yoko (that would be rather cheesy though).
Episode 8 still scares me, since it showed that GAINAX won't hesitate to kill off popular chars when they feel that the death is necessary to proceed in their storytelling. I don't want Nia to die :/
Actually... the girls in that village weren't going to be princesses but members of the Helix King's "harem", the guy just likes to call every human under his possesion a doll, like if they were his toys.

Nia was probably "created" from scrap, but we'll see in episode 15 when she and Simon confront Lord Genome face to face.

Also for aardvark, OST is out July 25: http://www.sonymusicshop.jp/detail.asp?goods=SSCX-10352
Old 2007-06-11, 13:35   Link #66
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Also for aardvark, OST is out July 25: http://www.sonymusicshop.jp/detail.asp?goods=SSCX-10352
A release out of no-where, its probably appeared on amazon.jp & cdjapan now.
Old 2007-06-11, 13:40   Link #67
Kamion
うぷぷぷ・・・

Send a message via ICQ to Kamion Send a message via MSN to Kamion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
A release out of no-where, its probably appeared on amazon.jp & cdjapan now.
Well, quoting myself from the Music Discussion:

This RadioCD has the same catalogue number, so either it's the OST or the OST was not announced after all.

@7Th

I see. Well, he IS called "Genome", so he probably created her. Seems I misunderstood that one :O
Old 2007-06-11, 13:45   Link #68
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah, you can check my post in the music thread. :3
Old 2007-06-11, 14:04   Link #69
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
[anon] should come out in a couple hours. nyoro~n got delayed because of a family emergency. AiA won't come for about three weeks minimum, and I have no idea about this "BlackOrder" group.
Who do you suppose is the "best" fansub group(are we allowed to discuss this here?)? BlackOrder episodes seems to have very good quality. Nyoro episodes aren't as sharp, but they are speed-releasing, so meh.

And what about translations???

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKensei View Post
Near the beginning when Nia looks at Lagann (while tilting her head) was the best. That made my day.....XD
That was cute.
Old 2007-06-11, 15:54   Link #70
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

anon for speedsubs to understand everything and Black Order for teh clockless version to watch everything again. and don't ask terek about subs.

anyway i've been thinking, that Yoko in the preview isn't really a young Yoko it's just the regular Yoko with a different hairdo and clothes no?

and that Giga Drill breaker wasn't spoken that bad, i really don't see what all the fuss is about.

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!
Old 2007-06-11, 16:07   Link #71
Solus

Excellent episode, and I think it's been summed up pretty well by everyone else.
A few things about plot developments:

1.I can understand how Kittan and the rest were just ignoring Simon, up till now he's always just been that guy who tags along with Kamina.

2.Yoko being cold could either be her trying to get him to grow up a little, or maybe just resentment over Kaminas death. If a person you loved died because this "apparently" spineless kid couldn't do his job, you might be a little angry too.

3. Simon is now the most manly being in all creation, bow down or prepare to have sand kicked in your face!

Did anyone else think that when he deflected the rifle, the old man was wearing goggles that were eerily similar to Simons?
Old 2007-06-11, 18:25   Link #72
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Ah, shoot. Nia survived.

Other than that, it's about time for Simon's revival.
Old 2007-06-11, 18:31   Link #73
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majek View Post
anyway i've been thinking, that Yoko in the preview isn't really a young Yoko it's just the regular Yoko with a different hairdo and clothes no?
Well, it's the swimsuit episode duh. Even Yoko has to change into something that involves beaches. Ironic that her swimming outfit is LESS revealing than her normal clothes. But still hot I guess.

And if you watch carefully, Nia is wearing a white swimsuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Ah, shoot. Nia survived.
Dude, you're treading on thin ice here...

NIA WINS!!
Old 2007-06-11, 18:35   Link #74
suske

yes! finally they get going again! however i wonder what part yoko will play now?
Old 2007-06-11, 19:48   Link #75
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
Dude, you're treading on thin ice here...

NIA WINS!!

Well, she almost took a head shot there. So close and yet......
Old 2007-06-11, 21:06   Link #76
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I have three complaints:

- Minor complaint: I don't mind the Engrish, but the branding-friendly technique names have got to go. It was hilarious and satirical when Kamina did it. It's just stupid now.
- Minor complaint: Simon's speech sounded... kind of flat. I suppose it's the limits of voice acting, trying to sound more confident and loud without crossing the line into the "adult Simon" voice. Still... retake, please?
- Very major complaint: This needed to be at least two episodes. It not only felt crammed together, but much of the dramatic weight was lost because we didn't have time to reflect on things, and there wasn't room to give a clear progression in Simon's outlook. Then on top of that, the fight was over in an instant. I'm pretty ticked about this. We needed one episode for the capture of the ship and Nia's revelations, and another episode for Simon to gradually come to his senses and then have an extended, if entirely victorious, battle, and spend enough time kicking tail with his new life view to convince every one that he's up for the job.

Other than that? This episode was everything I could have dreamed. Truly awesome. It is INSPIRING, as always!!

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go WRESTLE A GRIZZLY BEAR!
Old 2007-06-11, 21:17   Link #77
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Would it be any different if they took another episode to do stuff? It's already 3 episodes, and weeks in Gurren world for Simon to sulk. Another episode of sulky Simon, and people will prolly complain that it's getting draggy. Of course you'll defend by saying something about having the right execution of animation and plot writing will make things right, but seriously, no anime is perfect. Gurren Lagaan is as good as it gets and I'm surprised that I'm still psyched up about some anime after 11 episodes. You guys seem to want so much out of this series that it's getting boring. I've got other series to worry about. And I'm going to spend another arm and leg to buy the R2 dvds, so I've got more reason to complain than you guys who watch free fansubs :P

And Nia Wins.
Old 2007-06-11, 21:38   Link #78
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
Would it be any different if they took another episode to do stuff? It's already 3 episodes, and weeks in Gurren world for Simon to sulk. Another episode of sulky Simon, and people will prolly complain that it's getting draggy. Of course you'll defend by saying something about having the right execution of animation and plot writing will make things right, but seriously, no anime is perfect.
It would, indeed, be different if they took another episode. I don't expect perfection, I just thought this could use some better pacing. I didn't want more of sulking Simon, just something more than an immediate change from sulking Simon to Win Simon.

If the next episode is almost entirely a fan-service beach episode, I will be ticked, but I'm reserving judgment until then.
Old 2007-06-11, 21:49   Link #79
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
It would, indeed, be different if they took another episode. I don't expect perfection, I just thought this could use some better pacing. I didn't want more of sulking Simon, just something more than an immediate change from sulking Simon to Win Simon.

If the next episode is almost entirely a fan-service beach episode, I will be ticked, but I'm reserving judgment until then.
Spoiler for Real future episode synopsis:
Old 2007-06-11, 21:53   Link #80
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Well I think the way Simon changed from Anal Simon to Gar Simon is fine. It is a fitting way for him to figure things out by doing what he does best, drilling. All he did was just fight enemies till he puked, sulked in his room and carved Kamina figures for 2 whole episodes. But we all seem to forget that drilling is what makes Simon Simon. Simon is always at home with drilling holes. Having Yoko or Nia to knock him into senses would be too... boring/cliched. Having him drill to escape and having everyone to look at him drill is a pretty good scenario if you ask me. Of course having him to drill for 1/2 the episode would just be plain torture. Thus the quick recovery. Also, there's still the phase into Grown-up Simon since Simon now is still far from Manly Simon, the producers have to keep something with impact for that, at least that's what I'm hoping for.
Closed Thread