AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-08-22, 12:16   Link #2141
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

there's no way i would call it groundbreaking. its just someone's dirty fantasy. nothing wrong with it, but nothing stellar either.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 13:35   Link #2142
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Le Petit Chose by Alphonce Daudet and La Rabouilleuse by Balzac.
Old 2012-08-24, 02:16   Link #2143
claudia999

Robin Cook - Vector
Old 2012-08-25, 02:54   Link #2144
Lota

Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf... ... ... ... ... I don't even know how to comment this one
Lota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 03:27   Link #2145
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Finished that, now on Fragile Eternity (next sequel).
Finished that, now on Radiant Shadows (next sequel).

Geez this is getting repetitive

Also restarted the Trigun manga. I bought the whole collection years ago and got just past the halfway point before college started and I never got back. Well nothing's stopping mah readin' now! Also inspired me to finally open the shrink wrap on the Badlands Rumble movie; great movie and I hope they decided to make more anime for the series.
Old 2012-08-26, 14:11   Link #2146
calorie

After Dark, Norwegian Wood, 1Q84, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami

The Great Gatsby by Francis Scott Fitzgerald

Currently reading The Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky and A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I just do not have any time to read nowadays, so it's taking me quite long to finish these two titles.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 14:37   Link #2147
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

My type of books are usually YA novels which are mostly on romance. I have 10 books sitting on my shelf. Currently, I am reading Thirst book 4 by Christopher Pike. It's a wonderful read. I am sure many of you will love it just as i did.
Midnight2352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 10:50   Link #2148
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I've been reading The Pacific Crucible, by Ian Toll, and Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain , by David Eagleman. Both are excellent reads
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 14:19   Link #2149
xza6atox

havent read any novels for quite some time now but heres my list

the little prince
the da vinci code
angels and demons
lotr 1 2 and 3 and the hobbit
dad
open hand
walden
xza6atox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 15:53   Link #2150
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

L'age de raison by Jean-Paul Sartre, part of his Les chemins de la liberté work.
Old 2012-09-30, 15:33   Link #2151
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

^ Whatever you do, don't bother with Existentialism and Humanism. It was debunked so hard even he had to admit it sucked.

Reading Kandak by Patrick Hennessey.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 16:53   Link #2152
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Too late, I finished the rest of the serie; Le Sursis and La Mort dans l'Âme
Old 2012-09-30, 17:03   Link #2153
willx
Nyaaan~~

Oh my, a book thread! I've recently been re-reading the works of Glen Cook (Black Company & Instrumentalities of the Night") as well as some really really old English translations of more "ancient" works such as "The Way of the Dao" by Laozi.

I admit that I used to be a big fan of "Forgotten Realms" fantasy novels, which I guess is the geeky equivalent of "chick lit" .. .. although I haven't really been into it much lately, guess there's been enough fantasy-ish themed anime/manga/light novels to fulfil that need!

Well, that and "Too Big to Fail" and Alan Greenspan's autobiography "Age of Turbulence"
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 06:52   Link #2154
calorie

At long last, I've found the time to read The Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky.

The ending was a bit unexpected, I'd thought it was spoiled for me but there was a very important part left at the very end after all. All of Dostoyevsky's books make me feel as if they were written by some omniscient being, not a mere human. It is hard to believe someone could have such a piercing gaze into the furthest depths of human mind. Gives you the feeling that there is literally nothing left to be said and that what's written is the absolute truth. And we are talking about all kinds of different personalities, not only the one the writer might feel the closest to.

Started reading the Great Expectations by Dickens, been meaning to do it for a while now and it's the first book to get onto my One X's Kindle app. After that I'm planning to satisfy my craving for Murakami's novels (shame he didn't get that Nobel prize...although I feel like he's not quite ready for it) and also The Idiot by Dostoyevsky.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 07:32   Link #2155
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

I am currently reading a book called "Shatter Me" by Tahereh Mafi. It is just the first book in the trilogy. It has romance, drama, takes place in a post apocalyptic future and very psychological.
I haven't finished the book yet but my thoughts so far is that it is going great. I have never come across this style of writing in a book in my life. Some people criticize it because of the style but, to me, it fits the psychological part in the book.
My advice to all readers is to never criticize the style of writing. It may be necessary. We should always learn to accept almost any style of writing and only judge the book not by its cover but what's inside.
Old 2012-10-13, 08:14   Link #2156
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Le rouge et le noir by Stendhal and My Àntonia by Willa Sibert Cather. Neither were bad read but Stendhal's work was kind of a left down, y expectation were probably too high.
Old 2012-10-13, 10:29   Link #2157
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I just finished World War I by S.L.A. Marshall a couple nights ago. It was generally good, but I felt that there was a little bit too much in the way of personal opinions by Marshall disguised as facts or categorical statements.

I'm reading Star Wars: Choices of One by Timothy Zahn now.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 12:56   Link #2158
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Mary Shelley's Frankeinstein and Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels are my latest reads. I'm looking at finishing HG Wells' The Time Machine soon.
Old 2012-10-14, 21:03   Link #2159
P99

I just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson and started its sequel The Girl Who Played with Fire. Both are extremely good and I highly recommend them. However, both have mentions and sometimes graphic details/scenes about sexual assault (ie rape) and if it is a sensitive subject to you or something you would not want to read about, then these two, plus the third, are not the books for you. If you can overlook that part, these books are very interesting and hard to put down. You will especially like them if you are fond of mysteries.
Old 2012-10-14, 21:38   Link #2160
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

I finally got into the Ender's Game universe. Finished Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, and Ender's Shadow over the last 3 weeks. Now I am moving to Xenocide. The books that I finished are all very good reads. Ender's Game and Shadow are easier read and perhaps more enjoyable, but Speaker for the Dead is the best of them all.

Don't read the introduction in Speaker of the Dead. It's a trap.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books