AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2014-12-09, 01:51   Link #3421
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I notice that in Japan, they seem to have a low tolerance for meddlers or people stand in the way of other people's affairs. Why do the Japanese hate meddlers?
Old 2014-12-10, 19:49   Link #3422
Nerroth
NePoi!

One of the panels at last weekend's PlayStation Experience event in Las Vegas looked at the topic of working (as a foreigner) in the Japanese game industry:

Very interesting range of perspectives - not just from the Westerners on the panel, but from the two Japanese (or should I say Nikkeijin) panelists who took part in the discussion.
Old 2015-01-01, 22:09   Link #3423
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

To Rescue Economy, Japan Turns to Supermom

Quote:
In a country where juggling work and family has long been especially difficult, Mr. Abe has pledged to ease the way for women like Ms. Kitajima, with more state-funded child care and other measures to foster “a society where all women shine.” Tackling the nation’s shrinking population and declining labor force by encouraging working women is part of his broader effort to re-energize the economy, which is looking especially unsteady after Japan unexpectedly fell into a recession last quarter.

His promises, though, will be difficult to put into practice, given entrenched societal and corporate norms. While the share of working women has been steadily growing — and now exceeds the level in the United States — they tend to earn significantly less than men. Mothers, in particular, are more likely to drop out of the work force.

Mr. Abe must overcome an entrenched corporate culture that prizes long and inflexible hours favoring men, and the prime minister’s own conservative party makes for an unlikely champion of women.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 14:16   Link #3424
Jagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I notice that in Japan, they seem to have a low tolerance for meddlers or people stand in the way of other people's affairs. Why do the Japanese hate meddlers?
Meddling has a negative connotation to begin with. Why would people enjoy others butting into their business? It's a given they wouldn't.

If you mean meddling as in unwanted kindness that would be because in Japan you're expected to repay favours that are done to you, it's an obligation. The person you owe favours to could drag you into doing something at any time to repay their earlier kindness. It's like having a looming sword of Damocles over your head. Being the person owed favours to isn't any better! You could get dragged into doing something "fun" eg. an unwanted 2 hour tour of the city, when you'd rather just be on your way. Just doing a small gesture like helping a stranger can be blown into something convoluted.

Being Japanese sounds fucking exhausting. Gotta be thankful for western society where you can help and be helped out of kindness with little to no expectation of return.
Jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-04, 08:49   Link #3425
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
Meddling has a negative connotation to begin with. Why would people enjoy others butting into their business? It's a given they wouldn't.

If you mean meddling as in unwanted kindness that would be because in Japan you're expected to repay favours that are done to you, it's an obligation. The person you owe favours to could drag you into doing something at any time to repay their earlier kindness. It's like having a looming sword of Damocles over your head. Being the person owed favours to isn't any better! You could get dragged into doing something "fun" eg. an unwanted 2 hour tour of the city, when you'd rather just be on your way. Just doing a small gesture like helping a stranger can be blown into something convoluted.

Being Japanese sounds fucking exhausting. Gotta be thankful for western society where you can help and be helped out of kindness with little to no expectation of return.

Lol, you've been watching too much Anime, as expected of "western society"

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2015-01-04 at 09:39.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-13, 10:34   Link #3426
Jagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Lol, you've been watching too much Anime, as expected of "western society"
It's quite amusing that after reading my cynical reply you'd come to the conclusion that I get my information from the lala paradise land of anime. Fun fact: I don't.
Jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-18, 10:35   Link #3427
Nicaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post

I thought that Japanese people dislike meddlers because it's rude. And they also threaten the order of things and stuff like that.
Nicaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-27, 15:50   Link #3428
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Love Your Wife Day

Quote:
Each January dozens of men take to the stage in Tokyo's Hibiya Park to shout and scream - before complete strangers and on national TV - the sweet nothings that apparently they have difficulty whispering in private. Standing in front of a giant heart made of pink tulips the men take turns to declare their love. "I'm always putting you down," screams one man. "But it's only because I'm shy. I love you, and I promise not to come home drunk."

The organisers say they started this event a decade ago because culturally modest Japanese men can find it "difficult" to express love. In Japanese culture, modesty and reticence are traditionally valued over outspokenness and expressions of love and appreciation are uncommon, even among married couples.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 10:59   Link #3429
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
You know, with the advent of anime waifus in dakimakura, I am willing to bet that the part where the otaku profess their love to a hug pillow in full public view, are cut from the actual report.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-29, 17:49   Link #3430
AnimeFan188

Why Vending Machines Are So Popular in Japan:

"Right now, I am visiting New York. There are not many vending machines here, like
there are in Osaka, where I live. Surely, there must be a good reason for Japan
having all those vending machines. Turns out, there are several.

Stroll through the cities. Stroll through the countryside. You'll see 'em. Known as
"jidouhanbaiki" (自動販売機) or by the shorter "jihanki" (自販機), the machines are a
feature of the landscape wherever you go in Japan.

The country has the highest ratio of vending machines to landmass in the entire
world. As the country's official tourist organization points out, Japan is currently
home to 5.52 million vending machines. That's a lot."

See:

http://kotaku.com/why-vending-machin...36996/+megneal
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-03, 00:52   Link #3431
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Why Vending Machines Are So Popular in Japan:
1) They always work
2) They don't ask you unnecessary questions
3) They are everywhere
4) Brats don't bash them
5) Have almost everything you want
6) Recognize all coins and bills

They are your best friend, next to Korean and Japanese convenience stores (because of the unnecessary questions).
Old 2015-02-03, 02:57   Link #3432
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
1) They always work
2) They don't ask you unnecessary questions
3) They are everywhere
4) Brats don't bash them
5) Have almost everything you want
6) Recognize all coins and bills

They are your best friend, next to Korean and Japanese convenience stores (because of the unnecessary questions).
It should be an international rage. The Sauds have one that dispenses gold bars in the palace. And there are those that dispense condoms, lubricants and even dildos in a certain part of Tokyo.

Why don't they have one in the Southern US ranges that dispenses ammo.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2015-02-03, 03:27   Link #3433
Seitsuki
Onee!

I'd imagine it's for safety reasons.

The only way those things could be better was if there were some way to offload the masses of 1Y coins you inevitably accumulate into them. (What the heck do you guys do with those?)
Old 2015-02-03, 05:49   Link #3434
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Put them in those coin donation box?
Old 2015-02-03, 07:10   Link #3435
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
The only way those things could be better was if there were some way to offload the masses of 1Y coins you inevitably accumulate into them. (What the heck do you guys do with those?)
Huh? Getting rid of those 1 yen coins is super easy.
For example if you need to pay 263 yen but you don't have the exact amount, then just give the clerk 303 yen or 1003 yen or even 10003 yen and take the change.
Old 2015-02-03, 11:46   Link #3436
itisjustme

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
[B]As the country's official tourist organization points out, Japan is currently
home to 5.52 million vending machines. That's a lot."
I'm actually amazed people don't vandalize them/steal them clean. :P Japanese culture is something else.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-03, 11:56   Link #3437
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
I'm actually amazed people don't vandalize them/steal them clean. :P Japanese culture is something else.
Huh? That is not a phenomenon that happens only in Japan.
Old 2015-02-04, 02:15   Link #3438
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

East Asian cities with lower crime rates: Japan, South Korea, main Chinese cities, etc all have low chance of vandalism I'm sure,

But Japan is the most vending-machine crazy country in the world, that's for sure.
You walk one block in any city in Japan and you'd come across dozens, if not HUNDREDS, of machines.
Old 2015-02-04, 20:43   Link #3439
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

The reason why crime rate is low in Japan.

Japanese enamoured by 13-year-old twins

They accept people who love lolis. Why can't we?

Old 2015-02-24, 14:03   Link #3440
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Hide your kids, hide your wallet: Next cute shojo girls franchise is making its way through Japan

LITTLE GIRLS ARE THE - *is dragged into a police van*

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture