Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-18, 06:15   Link #1
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Garasu no Kantai (Glass Fleet)

Garasu no Kantai or Glass Fleet (subtitle 'La Legende du vent de l'univers' or 'Legend of the Wind of the Universe' ) is a 24 (tbc) episode mecha/sci-fi series starting 4th April. It's an impressive co-production between the ubiquitous Gonzo Digimation and fan favourite Statelight with character designs by Okama and mecha designs by Shoji Kawamori (who most recently worked on Eureka 7). Art Direction is by Takeshi Waki (Mushishi, Samurai Champloo). Cast includes Tsuda Kenjiro, Ueda Kana, Ishida Akira (Athrun from GSD) and Kaida Yuko. Music by Kousuke Yamashita (Xenosaga the Animation).

Official website is http://www.garakan.com (with some cool Okama wallpaper!)

Here's the blurb from AnimeNfo:

Quote:
At the center of the galaxy, the war between Aristocrat Alliance and the New Aristocrats breaks out. The former group now rules the galaxy, and the later group is led by Vettii who makes a figure in aristocrat society recently. The war that affects the fate of the universe is ended by the triumph of the New Aristocrats. Then, Vettii founds the Holy Empire, and he becomes the first emperor. However, this war isn’t the dawn of peace, but it is the beginning of tyranny.

It is People’s Army led by Michelle that stands up against Vettii government. One day, they sneak into a wedding ceremony of aristocrats, and they rob the aristocrats of a territory ship, but they receive counterattack of squadron directed by Maconnais. When Michelle is going to surrender to them, a blast is shoots into Maconnais’ battleship. It is a fire from the Glass Battleship. Cleo, the caption of the Glass Battleship, says to Michele that he is a descendant of the royal family, and that he is going to conquer the universe only by this ship in order to revive the royal family. Michelle thinks Cleo is the Messiah of the next age.

Meanwhile, Vettii is asked by the pope, Gorna, to marry his daughter, Rachelle. But he refuses the offer saying that it is too early. However, at the masked ball, Vettii is attracted by a women not knowing who she is.
So an intriguing mix of space opera, political and religious subplots, a smidgen of romance and lots of grandiose space battles (hopefully).

There's a lot of potential here. I hope Gonzo doesn't screw it up. Their recent shows have been lacking to say the least. In a new season largely devoid of serious action fair I have high hopes for this series...

Sources: ANN, AnimeNfo, Anime-Days
Old 2006-03-18, 09:11   Link #2
wao
OK.

Here's hoping Gonzo doesn't screw it up either. Damned Gonzo...

I'm most worried about the story because the story constructor did UPS which had a completely contrived and dumb story which I couldn't really stand (although I ended up watching the whole thing anyway, cos Kaoru si teh win)
Although the synopsis and characters seem ok for now. The lead female character reminds me a lot of Silvia from Aquarion... I hope she doesn't become the stereotypical ojou-sama character type. The characters have expectedly European-sounding names, which of course can sound hilarious with Japanese pronounciation.

I find the character relationship map rather funny though, Vettii certianly has the expected domineering arrows coming out of him... Vettii -> Michelle (Waga mono da!) makes me think "you're mine, biatch"... Obviously this "woman" would be Michelle (who else is there, really)

If they do the character development right I would probably watch it just for that, for fun.

At the very least hopefully we can get some nice eye-candy. I just hope this isn't the Satelight that did Hellsing Ultimate (ras9rw48210194 teh suck)
Old 2006-03-27, 15:46   Link #3
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I am very much looking forward to this and it is reassuring to see familiar faces. 8)

Anyway, seems like there is a clip available here: http://www.nifty.com/garakan/

Unfortunately, it seems like it's only available to a very limited number of customers of @nifty provider. The rest of us can only console ourselves with a bit of screenshots here.

Anyone else try to access it?

Last edited by MrProphet; 2006-03-27 at 15:59.
Old 2006-03-27, 16:05   Link #4
Zappster

Those screenshots make it look pretty tasty. I'm always up for more scifi anime. Thanks for posting those links MrProphet.
Old 2006-03-27, 16:15   Link #5
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I do hope someone makes that clip available. Those screenshots have really whet my appetite for this show now. Epic space battles animated by Statelight...*drools*
Old 2006-03-27, 16:58   Link #6
BluWacky
尻の竜

I've signed up for a Nifty account but, like the Noein preview back in October, it's a lottery as to whether I get to download the preview - I won't be notified until the 31st (Friday) at the earliest, and by then it'll only be a few days until it airs anyway, but for 200 yen it's hardly going to break the bank (shame it's not free like Noein was, but B-Channel needed to whore Noein out like crazy whereas Garakan has the GONZO slot on TV Asahi (being vacated by Solty Rei, presumably) so probably doesn't need so much exposure).

If I get it I'll post some pictures, but don't hold your breath. I certainly won't be able to share the file, it'll be a DRM-encrypted WMV file no doubt. Besides, you'll probably all be too busy with the new season to really care...
Old 2006-03-28, 08:05   Link #7
thomasvye
Delurking...

There are a few more teeny screenshots at Garakan's blog here; http://garakan.cocolog-nifty.com/garablo/

Ah, I am sad about not being able to access the preview, but it will be on soon, right? This is my number one want to see show of the new season so far (my attention was really grabbed by Okama's concept art and character design)

I am very excited about it and pleased to meet you all and determined not to be a cowardly lurker this season.

I think 'Michelle' might be 'Michel' (the French spelling) - I think he's male anyway, since his coat is fastened all the way to his neck and there's no obvious cleavage on display, unlike the other girls shown so far (Aimel - what is she wearing...or not wearing! ).
Old 2006-03-28, 09:45   Link #8
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Michel is not "the French spelling", it's just a masculine form of Michelle.

She looks female to me. Also, Yuko Kaida voices her. Which, of course, doesn't prove anything (think "Kenshin"), but it would make him quite an effeminate male. More feminine than a bishounen, I'd say.

Last edited by MrProphet; 2006-03-28 at 09:57.
Old 2006-03-28, 11:37   Link #9
thomasvye
Delurking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Michel is not "the French spelling", it's just a masculine form of Michelle.

Michel is a French spelling of Michael
(http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Michael), but I hope not to start what I hoped would be a new friendly relationship with an argument about character gender when the show hasn't even aired yet...
Old 2006-03-28, 12:09   Link #10
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasvye
Michel is a French spelling of Michael
I don't think anybody is disputing that. However, you are missing the point. 8)

Michel is the male name.
Michelle is a female name.

They are both of a frankish origin.

The character played by Yuko Kaida is called MISHIERU, which is transliterated as Michel if the character is male, and Michelle is the character is female.

BTW, her full name is "Mishieru Ashiiru Voruban Do Kaberu". However you transliterate it is simply beyond me. 8)

"Michelle Asiel Vauban d'Cabelle"? Something like that...

Vettii has an even trickier name. What the hell does "Vechitei Runaado Suforushia do Rozubure" stand for? Vettii Lunard Sforza d'Rosbulle? I give up!

Thankfully, Captain Cleo is simply called... wait for it... Captain Cleo! Yay!

PS: I hate gairaigo. 8(
Old 2006-03-28, 12:28   Link #11
thomasvye
Delurking...

Quote:
I don't think anybody is disputing that. However, you are missing the point. 8)

Michel is the male name.
Michelle is a female name.

They are both of a frankish origin.

The character played by Yuko Kaida is called MISHIERU, which is transliterated as Michel if the character is male, and Michelle is the character is female.

BTW, her full name is "Mishieru Ashiiru Voruban Do Kaberu". However you transliterate it is simply beyond me. 8)

"Michelle Asiel Vauban d'Cabelle"? Something like that...

Vettii has an even trickier name. What the hell does "Vechitei Runaado Suforushia do Rozubure" stand for? Vettii Lunard Sforza d'Rosbulle? I give up!

Thankfully, Captain Cleo is simply called... wait for it... Captain Cleo! Yay!

PS: I hate gairaigo. 8(
*nod* Ah! I see what you mean! I am sorry.

Mishieru Ashel Volvan do Kabel was my latest go at it...

Hmm....Vetti's name is complicated...

I got 'Vetti Renardo (or Lunardo) Sforza do Rozure' originally, but then when it came up on the actual site, his last name was given as Rozubure. I kinda liked Rozure, it sounded a little like rosary. But early released versions off their names weren't wholly right; one magazine gave Vetti Misheru's name and vice versa.

I am still using Kureo at the moment. ^_^

I am more thinking Mishieru is male because of his costume more than the name. He is the only one I can see wearing those crazy little ... are they shorts? But the other girls I have seen, like in the cast painting, are showing skin and wearing 'bra type' 'tops' as opposed to the military uniforms (or are the Maid...), so...I could be completely totally wrong though! :
Old 2006-03-28, 12:40   Link #12
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasvye
I am more thinking Mishieru is male because of his costume more than the name. He is the only one I can see wearing those crazy little ... are they shorts? But the other girls I have seen, like in the cast painting, are showing skin and wearing 'bra type' 'tops' as opposed to the military uniforms (or are the Maid...), so...I could be completely totally wrong though! :
I can see where you got the notion...

Hmm, well, I think "she" might be wearing stuff like that because "she" is a military leader, not a princess at a ball, so she would be prone to wearing something armor-like which would hide her curves.

She does kinda look flat-chested, though, that I give you. ^_^

But her face just doesn't look masculine at all, or even boyish, so I think we have a female here.

Also, considering how she goes with Cleo and Vettii thinks of her as "mine!" and Vettii and Cleo are listed as "RAIBARU", I think we have a triangle on our hands her (ZOMG! Romance already?). I would be weird if Michelle is male. 8)
Old 2006-03-28, 13:09   Link #13
thomasvye
Delurking...

Quote:
I can see where you got the notion...

Hmm, well, I think "she" might be wearing stuff like that because "she" is a military leader, not a princess at a ball, so she would be prone to wearing something armor-like which would hide her curves.

She does kinda look flat-chested, though, that I give you. ^_^

But her face just doesn't look masculine at all, or even boyish, so I think we have a female here.

Also, considering how she goes with Cleo and Vettii thinks of her as "mine!" and Vettii and Cleo are listed as "RAIBARU", I think we have a triangle on our hands her (ZOMG! Romance already?). I would be weird if Michelle is male. 8)
Not so much weird as shonen ai....I don't think it's that sort of show though.

Misheru does have a female maid too, though, so she might be Misheru's companion, as it were, 'her' ladies maid...damn! I want to know for sure now...

Have to wait to find out!

(Misheru is flat chested though! lol!)
Old 2006-03-29, 04:17   Link #14
wao
OK.

What... you guys really think Michel/Michelle is a guy? The first thing I thought of when I saw her was "girl". I don't know, her face seems more girly to me than anything else... and the back view, perhaps.

On the 2ch side there's a lot of negative comments, presumably from insiders (yes I know it's so untrustworthy in that there's no way to find out, but they can really be surprisingly accurate), that GONZO's been slacking off and the producers etc. are relying on Satelight to push it through, but Satelight is also quite strained (they've got a number of ongoing projects? Hellsing:U, Angelique,...?)

They're all saing "what is this, LoGH x Rose of Versailles" ? Eh, whatever...

But here's a zip of a 15 second trailer I nipped from there. Doesn't say a lot. I think the person talking is Michel/Michelle's seiyuu.

There's also these comments by the seiyuu. There's the same article but if you want less pics, go here, or you can try this if that's confusing. The 2nd link has more info I think,
Frankly speaking I'm surprised Novii is female.
Old 2006-03-29, 04:28   Link #15
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Ah, wao, you are a god among mortals! 8)

This looks intriguing. LOGH, huh? Well, let's see if Vettii is anything like Reinhard von Lohengramm.
Old 2006-03-29, 06:12   Link #16
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
What... you guys really think Michel/Michelle is a guy? The first thing I thought of when I saw her was "girl". I don't know, her face seems more girly to me than anything else... and the back view, perhaps.

On the 2ch side there's a lot of negative comments, presumably from insiders (yes I know it's so untrustworthy in that there's no way to find out, but they can really be surprisingly accurate), that GONZO's been slacking off and the producers etc. are relying on Satelight to push it through, but Satelight is also quite strained (they've got a number of ongoing projects? Hellsing:U, Angelique,...?)

They're all saing "what is this, LoGH x Rose of Versailles" ? Eh, whatever...
This surprises me. Surely Garakan is Gonzo's biggest show this season? And it seems to be getting some decent exposure. Maybe they're more interested in churning out Witchblade or Marduck Scramble for their 15th anniversary? This could be good though if Statelight are given the responsability of reigning in the animation although I don't think they be given much room to experiment though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
But here's a zip of a 15 second trailer I nipped from there. Doesn't say a lot. I think the person talking is Michel/Michelle's seiyuu.
Wow thanks for the clip. Hmm... the CG fleets do look a little too uniform and 'cloned' for my liking. Vettii looks cool though. And yet another anime where space is green?
Old 2006-03-29, 06:13   Link #17
thomasvye
Delurking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
:lol: Well, Camus (in Meine Liebe) is a male character and I never saw anyone more girly. ^__^ Since the great Deidara's gender debate last year, I have started to just assume male until proven female whenever I am in doubt!

(I was basing my thought more on the costume and flat chest than anything else; Mishieru has long hair and a pretty face, but so do lots of young male characters. But now I really don't know what to think and am just going to wait and see. ^__^)

Thanks ever so much for the trailer! \=^V^=/ *bows thankfully to you!*
Old 2006-03-29, 06:22   Link #18
wao
OK.

Gonzo's 15 anniversary anime is supposed to be Murdock Scramble, not this really (I think if it was their 15th anniversay show they'd do it themselves, wouldn't they?)

But Gonzo's simultaneously doing Witchblade and Murdock Scramble with this, no wonder there's people talking about them having to throw all teh work to Satelight.

Well, I guess I'll keep my expectations under check for now... at the very least I can look forward to Akira Ishida.
Old 2006-03-29, 06:27   Link #19
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

I hope they dedicate their time to Mardock Scramble, since it's their 15 Anniversary Project. If it is even close to their 10th Aniversary Project (Last Exile), I am willing to forgive them for being total hacks and ruining Trinity Blood and Speed Grapher. 8)
Old 2006-03-29, 07:03   Link #20
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Actually, one decent Gonzo show every five years sounds about right
Closed Thread