AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-08, 01:52   Link #21
MasterFuu

Krapica from Hunter X Hunter is like guy/gurl mix. I could never find out what he or she truly is. If anyone knows lemme know.
Old 2004-04-08, 21:12   Link #22
choowee
lurkeress

Yuki from fruits basket is a good example. When I first started anime, I avoided that series at first after seeing a clip of him. I just didn't understand his appeal when his voice over was clearly done by a female. A few series later I came back to fruits basket, and not only think its the second best series I have ever seen, but Yuki is an amazingly appealing character. Hmm, may be feminine guys are an aquired taste?
Old 2004-04-08, 22:06   Link #23
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindialai
it appeals to guy because it looks like a girl so guys would watch that anime.
it appeals to girls because they look so pretty and admire them.

it appeals to two sexes.. usually girly girls are more attractive than guyish guys..
I disagree about the attraction of these characters to most of the male audience in a shounen/seinen title. Most of them are spectacularly unsuccessful in romance. Shounen/seinen revolves around the "average guy," whatever that is.

Shoujo titles follow a similar code.
Old 2004-04-08, 23:36   Link #24
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by choowee
Yuki from fruits basket is a good example. When I first started anime, I avoided that series at first after seeing a clip of him. I just didn't understand his appeal when his voice over was clearly done by a female. A few series later I came back to fruits basket, and not only think its the second best series I have ever seen, but Yuki is an amazingly appealing character. Hmm, may be feminine guys are an aquired taste?
Yuki is an awesome character.

Do you know Yuki's voice done by Hisakawa Aya? She played as Kero-chan in Card Captor Sakura and Mune Mune in Abenobashi Maho Shoutengai. Imagine what Yuki and Mune Mune have in common. ^^

Even outside anime, I think a voice actress like Hisakawa Aya that capable to fill 2 complete opposite roles in personality and gender is much more interesting than regular voice actress.

The same goes if there is a guy that posses masculine and feminime charm he would stand out more than normal guys.

Last edited by Secca; 2004-04-09 at 00:27. Reason: Trying to get back on topic
Old 2004-04-08, 23:50   Link #25
emessen

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindialai
it appeals to girls because they look so pretty and admire them.

it appeals to two sexes.. usually girly girls are more attractive than guyish
guys..
I disagree about the attraction of these characters to most of the male audience in a shounen/seinen title. Most of them are spectacularly unsuccessful in romance. Shounen/seinen revolves around the "average guy," whatever that is.

Shoujo titles follow a similar code.
very true...

the shoujo romance is a girl.. anytype... usually most of the time outgoing and
funny or they can be reserved too... but anyway it's just girl and 2 pretty boys...
one preppy one wild

shounen romances for the most part involve a "losery guy" and a whole harem of
girls... Ichigo 100%, I''s, Video Girl Ai... etc etc

so i will also disagree that a feminine males are set in place to appeal to the
males... i would think that the GIRLS, the ACTUAL FEMALES, appeal to the male
audience right? so like stated b4... effeminate guys are there for the fangirls...
Old 2004-04-09, 02:07   Link #26
roguenoir
Rogue Member

Especially Yuki Souma in Fruit Basket.. for the longest time, I thought "he" was a girl.
Old 2004-04-09, 02:28   Link #27
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguenoir
Especially Yuki Souma in Fruit Basket.. for the longest time, I thought "he" was a girl.
In the same vein, to this day I'm still not sure if "Nicole/Nikoru" of Gundam Seed is Male or Female...

Another example here would be Sanada Yukimura, an actual, well-known Japanese historical figure. He was turned into a cross-dressing pansy in Samurai Deeper Kyo... voiced by the actress Ogata Megumi (a Great in the field of Seiyuu).

I guess it's a part of the "pretty man" thing that gave us Raiden of Metal Gear Solid 2. I bought the "Documents of MGS2" PS2 disc (American localized, didn't pay too much ). The "project proposals" were left as is, untranslated, scanned and put into the disc. I'm very, very sure that I read the scans right. One of the document scan said as much as "Solid Snake is way~~ too old, we need a good-looking young man to attract the female audience."--thus Raiden is born.
Old 2004-04-09, 09:20   Link #28
vivid

Femine = Innocence .... apparently xP

Haku is drawn and characterised as being femine to reflect his innocence. If you think about it that way, it makes a lot of sense. They couldn't draw a little, big-eyed, naived faced boy, as then it'll be impossible for viewers to accept that he could be so powerful and wise. There's a fine line between innocence and weakness after all.

As for Yuki.. he's a princess and we all love stories that has a princess in it. xP But seriously, I orginally thought that Yuki's femine personality was made to contrast with Kyou's. I still think that but the whole innocence thing also connects in Yuki's case.
Old 2004-04-09, 16:53   Link #29
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
The bishi~ is loved by all.
Old 2004-04-09, 17:10   Link #30
Diedrupo

Quote:
o_O I really doubt that guys are like that, especially in the US and Japan. Maybe they are like that in other countries, but most men certainly do not want to be attracted to other men, unless they are gay/bi.
Old 2004-04-09, 17:19   Link #31
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

girlish guys play a certain role in the story. Most of the time they are really strong but calm, easy going good guys too. Kurapica however.. he can get really crazy if you get him going heh.
Old 2004-04-09, 17:45   Link #32
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguenoir
Actually I'm a big fan of Yuki's older brother, Ayame. He's sucha great character. ^^
Old 2004-04-09, 23:02   Link #33
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

I believe the voice actor for Goku from DBZ is a female, too bad he doesn't look girly.
Old 2004-04-10, 00:08   Link #34
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

Send a message via MSN to Asakura_Y0h
I have to say that these characters are there for the female counterparts that watch anime... when I think carefully, all the male chars that I absolutely loved more than others are of the similar type... here's the list

HnG - Sai
GetBackers - Kazuki
Fruits Basket - Yuki
Naruto - Haku
Matantei Loki - Older Loki
I don't have to mention the other obvious character do I? He's on the top...

And there's one thing I found in common of all of them... these guys are damn powerful but calm and has a sense of humour... Its the contrast between their harsh powerful abilities and the soft sides to them that really get's to me...
Old 2004-04-10, 01:53   Link #35
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

I dunno, effeminate males do exist in real life. Including such characters isn't too much of a stretch, I mean, when I lived in Asia there were always a few guys in class who looked like girls or acted like girls. Some aspects of Asian male culture may be overly masculine (because of military culture being imposed on the civilian populace). Overall, though, Asian men tend to have less physical prowess and the idea of being masculine is sometimes more of a mental thing rather than physical, so being somewhat feminine in appearance (or even some actions) isn't as looked down upon as it would be in the US. That's just my opinion though.
Old 2004-04-10, 17:54   Link #36
delta9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo
o_O I really doubt that guys are like that, especially in the US and Japan. Maybe they are like that in other countries, but most men certainly do not want to be attracted to other men, unless they are gay/bi.
I'm 100% straight.

It has been proven that not everybody is 100% straight and I don't mean the bi/gay people
Old 2004-04-10, 18:16   Link #37
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I don't think it's a matter of gay/bi, it's just a matter of trend or life style.

Young movie stars or boys bands nowadays. wear earing casually, grow long hair, etc.
Old 2004-04-14, 00:59   Link #38
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

Yeah but they don't have features of a girl... some or most guys in real life have a square jaw or broad frame ... if u refer to stars... they don't look anything like Yuki from FB.... or Okita from PMK..

but then again... if these ppl existed in real life.. i'd be little terrified with thier large eyes syndrome... somehow... because in the animation itself... u compare these people with how the other characters in the show are drawn... that's why it doesn't look so odd....
Old 2004-04-14, 03:28   Link #39
candy

dun forget sai from HnG. in the manga, i really though he was a she O.o;
Old 2004-04-14, 03:36   Link #40
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

0_o....... WHY DO YOU REMIND ME OF SUCH PAINFUL MEMORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SAI!!!!!! sniff sniff sniff... u really hit the wrong spot...

Anyway, I'm kinda over it now... but yeah he was one of those... actually.. the only one on my list who wasn't voiced by a woman...

hmmm... beginning to have doubts about sexuality orientation

wait double checked my post... Loki's voiced by a guy... phew.... saved
awe man but what about Wolfram from Kyou Kara Mao who's potentially gonna be my next crush...
Closed Thread