AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-21, 01:49   Link #201
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

for the historical figures in ep18
Spoiler:
Old 2004-11-24, 02:43   Link #202
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Has anyone else noticed the elemental affinities of episodes 14-17? They kind've jumped out at me. I'd been kicking myself for not noticing that in the first arc, they captured the magatamas of earth -> water -> fire following the destructive cycle of the elements, so when I started watching the second arc there was no way I'd miss something like that.

This time each episode 14-17 (and I'm guessing 18) focuses on a specific element.
Spoiler for Elements in episodes 14 to 17:

Hopefully 18 will be subbed soon so I can find out if the cycle is completed, or I'm just imagining things...

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-11-24, 02:57   Link #203
dreamless

well...
Spoiler for episode 18 element:
Old 2004-11-24, 03:00   Link #204
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Or perhaps we have two episodes of fire in a row? Perhaps this destroys my theory.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-11-24, 03:19   Link #205
wao
OK.

I think some eps will focus on the elements and some won't...

It seems tehre is more focus on time-travel than elements, so perhaps it will be interspersed... Out of 13 episodes you only need 5 eps for individual elements, we're at 19 and we've already had 2 elements. It's quite possible to fit the other 3 in 7 episodes.

In the Heian arc it wasn't "one element per episode" either... Did you see Tsuna's reaction to the whole "men that fight" bit in ep 17, though? Still has a bit of his old personality
Old 2004-11-24, 03:35   Link #206
FlyByNite

I was thinking that it was elemental related and geographic related. I think every episode starts with a map showing a part of Tokyo that the supernatural event is taking place in. I was wondering how those corresponded to the areas of the city that sent up those blasts of energy at the end of the Heian arc. Somehow the elemental energy warped those geographic areas and is the cause for all the weird stuff taking place in those areas in the present day. But if that was true they'd run out of story after 5 episodes, unless they re-used a locale.
Old 2004-11-26, 13:59   Link #207
dreamless

for ep19
Spoiler:

about the elemental cycle
Spoiler:
Old 2004-11-26, 17:31   Link #208
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
about the elemental cycle
Spoiler:
Spoiler for information on the five element cycle:

Old 2004-11-27, 14:00   Link #209
THX

Okay, I've watched up to episode 5. I'm seriously trying to like this series as at first glance it is exactly the type I like. People say it is on par with Juuni Kokki (my favorite anime) and this alone has been pushing me to watch more of this anime. But I find myself bored by what I've seen so far.

The story at this point is simple and the characters are incredibly dry. The animation and action scenes are good, but that aspect is actually secondary in determining if I am to like an anime. I like having a quality story and characters which I can form opinions of. I think there is a good setting, but the storyline, even with a bit of political intrigue, is mediocre at best. The characters are all the same, relatively emotionless and cliché; I hate them all.

Now, I am not bashing this series as it is far superior to a lot of what has been coming out lately, but I feel a bit disappointed by it. I've been expecting a mature, heavy/complex storyline with strong character development. At this point, I've only seen the mature part being fulfilled. I'm wondering, does the series begin to pickup a bit later on? Does it get better?
Old 2004-11-27, 14:30   Link #210
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

It's DEFINITELY not on par with Juuni Kokki. Otogizoushi's animation is wildly variable anyway--sometimes the battle scenes are great, and sometimes they look awful. The ordinary animation (people doing everyday things like walking, picking up teacups, whatever) generally sucks. The characters are horribly underdeveloped, but the plot has some good twists. However, the twists were hardly enough to make me like the cast. Sometimes the artwork is great; sometimes it's cringe-inducing. IMO the storyline is hardly complex, just unnecessarily stretched out... and while
Spoiler:

Don't watch this in hopes that some decent character development will come along, because it never really does.
Old 2004-11-27, 22:18   Link #211
wao
OK.

Even as a fan of the series I have to say it isn't one of the best out there, the animation was kickass in ep 1 and 2 but after that somehow it disappeared, the plot itself is actually fairly predictable and somewhat drawn out and the characters are generally not very interesting...

Definitely not on par with Juuni KOkki. Now all of you go watch Fantastic Children! Bwahahahahaha! Ahem.
Old 2004-11-28, 11:06   Link #212
THX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Even as a fan of the series I have to say it isn't one of the best out there, the animation was kickass in ep 1 and 2 but after that somehow it disappeared, the plot itself is actually fairly predictable and somewhat drawn out and the characters are generally not very interesting...

Definitely not on par with Juuni KOkki. Now all of you go watch Fantastic Children! Bwahahahahaha! Ahem.
Well, if this is not on par with Juuni Kokki; any suggestions of an anime which is similar to Juuni Kokki?

Btw, I've watched a few more episodes of Otogizoushi and it is a bit better as more has happened in the latest episodes than the previous I had watched. Although, I am really tired of the dancing character
Old 2004-11-28, 21:30   Link #213
leslina

From watching the sub of 19 I don't get the impression that Mansaikouto is necessarily instigating the magatama elements in the Tokyo arc so much as he's been anticipating their occurence and helping to stop them from disrupting the living world further. The wolf says to him, "you should just watch events unfold." I'm assuming that unlike Hikaru and the others who were reincarnated in the traditional sense, after his death, Mansaikouto became some timeless entity who's fate is to keep the the magatama elements he organized in the Heian arc from manifesting in a destructive cycle again. He alluded to as much as he spoke with the wolf. In the sub he says, "To correct everything is the Karma I must bear". Also, there are more questions regarding Hikaru's role. The wolf says in regards to her as she lays fallen on the floor, "Then this creature is..." we don't know who or what Hikaru is exactly. Why would the wolf know about her and why has Mansaikouto been waiting for her all this time. Remember this Otogizoushi is not exactly like the tale from the Heian Arc. The tokyo stories are independant from the Heian timeline and independant from one another as some tend to be seperate one-shots. Looking forward to the concluding eps.
Old 2004-11-29, 18:42   Link #214
rorosama

I dl'ed ep 20 and i wasn't impressed. Can someone tell me what kind of show is this. Action oriented, thriller or horror. Can you compare to another anime. Thanks.
Old 2004-11-29, 20:09   Link #215
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Spoiler for Episode 19:
Old 2004-11-29, 23:38   Link #216
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

After watching episode 19, I had a few insights into why we are following the cycle around Tokyo.
Spoiler for episode 19:

Old 2004-11-30, 02:46   Link #217
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Spoiler for Episode 19:
well, I think
Spoiler:
Old 2004-11-30, 02:49   Link #218
wao
OK.

But while I think we can all agree Mansairaku seems more of an unaging spirit sort of thing, ep 19 makes me very interested as to what Hikaru is. Why did the wolf-dude call her what he did? I definitely must see what they do with the ending!
Old 2004-11-30, 03:20   Link #219
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Here's an interesting thought!

According to Japanese folklore, Abe no Seimei's mother was a kitsune (fox) woman named Kuzunoha. Perhaps that's reason that Mansairaku's hair is red.

That's also the reason that Abe no Seimei was able to live for 200 years.

Old 2004-11-30, 08:00   Link #220
runpsicat
Engrishator
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
well, I think
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Tags
historical