Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-02, 07:25   Link #1521
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I think that all this scapegoating and glorifying of violence and "machismo" from the anti-moe crowd is ridiculous in the worst sense of the word.
Oh, no I'm not anti-moe since I also liked 'even worse moe' shows like K-On but I lean strongly towards 'violence and machismo'. Come to think of it, Fidel Castro autobiography and US Marines history on same shelf? Match made in hell. If they wanted cute moments, I think they should have tried making it 100% that. And as I mention before trying to put music with military barely worked most of the time and the dialogue just got dodgy. In short, SOW was an interesting experiment but not a completely successful one

Violent women are bad? Mate, according to me the most feminist thing a woman has done would be what Lyudmila Pavlichenko did. Not only that but it deserves glorifying because thanks to violence she did a great patriotic duty by helping to keep the Germans out. A moe-fied Lyudmila? Now that would be a awesome show. And she's a sniper and snipers are awesome. However...communist, female, russian sniper is godly.

Quote:
The scapegoating and this alarmist "prediction" of how the industry will turn out does not sit well with me.
Was that in reference to me? Oh come on, as if you couldn't tell I was joking.

Last edited by xris; 2010-04-22 at 14:08.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 07:30   Link #1522
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
"machismo"
Machismo bad?

Son, you seem to be suffering from Hippieritis.

You need a dose of Patton.

Spoiler for So inspiring, you'll pierce the heavens:

Last edited by NinjaYali; 2010-04-02 at 21:09.
Old 2010-04-02, 12:42   Link #1523
Midonin
Last Engage

No, I just find that we live in a world where the computer, not the club, is the way of information. The genders are starting to even out. Except for some people who are stuck about a century in the past. It's no longer necessary, and is in fact kind of pointless, to kill something just to become a "man". Which is why I found the people saying they wanted a theoretical second season with "more war", when that would go against the entire point the show was trying to make.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 18:21   Link #1524
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Machismo bad?
Machismo, at least in its Spanish origins has a pretty negative connotation since it stands for male chauvinism.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 21:08   Link #1525
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
No, I just find that we live in a world where the computer, not the club, is the way of information. The genders are starting to even out. Except for some people who are stuck about a century in the past. It's no longer necessary, and is in fact kind of pointless, to kill something just to become a "man". Which is why I found the people saying they wanted a theoretical second season with "more war", when that would go against the entire point the show was trying to make.
Okay fair enough.

But as for me, I think you can tell I have a strong respect for the military and for what they do I can't think of anything other then calling them becoming great men for helping fight the enemy and for the concept of the motherland. Although at the same time I admire military strategists and tacticians for being able to successfully come up with a good plan and implementing it. As for gender equality? I'm cynical about that.

Although by more war, the main reason is that I want a little more background as to what the fuck happened. You know, big light show of the apocalypse. Misaimed Fandom?
Old 2010-04-03, 00:17   Link #1526
Proto

There's a very fine line between respecting their work and glorifying them beyond the necessary evil a military is for any nation.

BTW, I feel that the past war and the pre apocalypse world here is more like a mood setter. Nothing more than a way for the authors to create the setting they feel its best for expressing their message. Maybe a little less subtle version of Yokohama Shopping Log.
Old 2010-04-03, 12:01   Link #1527
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Although by more war, the main reason is that I want a little more background as to what the fuck happened. You know, big light show of the apocalypse. Misaimed Fandom?
Certainly hope we get some details of the past in the DVD ep, but the background would still do its job without it.

The best thing about this series was how it combined the liveliness of peace with the despair of war, convincing on both sides. A better series would show that while music and human spirit can really do incredible things, sometimes it isn't enough and you have to find a way to live with war as well, until we find something that gives a perfect peace.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 14:00   Link #1528
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

I don't see any second season for this show. It's story is pretty much told. A prequel season / series has possibilities. But I don't see it being with these characters. Perhaps with previous stationed "maidens"
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 04:19   Link #1529
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
Certainly hope we get some details of the past in the DVD ep, but the background would still do its job without it.

The best thing about this series was how it combined the liveliness of peace with the despair of war, convincing on both sides. A better series would show that while music and human spirit can really do incredible things, sometimes it isn't enough and you have to find a way to live with war as well, until we find something that gives a perfect peace.
Peace? I think the way it had to end with harem pope getting his way says it all.

But really, if they at least tell me the one last bit about the big bird and how it came about then I'll be happy.
Old 2010-04-04, 07:59   Link #1530
Sparvid
*hic*

Rewatching earlier parts again:

I'm a bit disappointed that Kanata introduces herself to the soldiers on the train. I would've liked to see a prequel episode where she's a part of their squadron for a short while, learning the basics of military life, and being the enthusiastic, optimistic newcomer / little sister / mascot to the older, war-tired veterans.

Filicia mentions that Kanata and Kureha's early interaction with each other reminds her of when she first met Rio. That would've been fun to see.

Kureha insisting on there being no such things as ghosts fits with her later statement that the dead go to heaven never to return, before we learn about her parents fate... And there's no explanation for the ghosts.

Noël's reaction to being called a murderer by Seiya, with the knowledge of the Reaper =
Want to learn more about the Professor though. Noël's "I was there"-comment on Filicia's battlefield experience is never really explained. Maybe it can be interpreted/translated in other ways. Getting the weapons plant working doesn't mean that she needed to be at the frontline.

They never got around to getting an official loader to the tank. Kanata is in the loader position during both the exercise and at the end, where she doubles as communicator, with Aisha sitting in the communicator seat.

I'd like to see a longer epilogue, with Aisha visiting the fortress again
Old 2010-04-04, 10:18   Link #1531
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth

Send a message via MSN to K3cT
I just finished this series and I can only say... give me back my 6 hours! Anyone else noticed that the show pretty much took a nosedive to crap territory after episode 7? It's just jarring to see that the producers seemingly unable to decide what they want to tell the audience with Sora no Woto. Such a shame really as the show has an interesting premise and godly music.
K3cT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 14:52   Link #1532
Raiga
tl;dr

Random thought, but when's the first DVD episode chronologically? Was it between 5 and 6? *forgets*

Anyway, that part in episode 8 when Naomi's like, "Kanata how did you find out about the distillery the girls had going?" and Kanata's like, "Ehh... I'll tell you later" and they never explain it for the rest of the series? I was thinking maybe that's a continuity nod to the first DVD special episode, where they'll explain how she found out...

I hope I'm not stating the obvious...
Old 2010-04-04, 14:56   Link #1533
Raa
Sceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post
I just finished this series and I can only say... give me back my 6 hours! Anyone else noticed that the show pretty much took a nosedive to crap territory after episode 7? It's just jarring to see that the producers seemingly unable to decide what they want to tell the audience with Sora no Woto. Such a shame really as the show has an interesting premise and godly music.
Dunno about godly music, but the show was really promising, I stick to the end just to want my time back. So empty, all "meaning" would fill like 2 episodes...
It's a pity as potential was there...
Raa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 19:31   Link #1534
Proto

Points of view. Personally I'm completely satisfied with the time I invested with this series. The series was never about showing the story of war in a devastated world, or the exploration of said devastated world, but the exploration of how human will survives in such conditions. Once you accept this or something equivalent as the premise of the show it becomes a ton more enjoyable. Trust me.
Old 2010-04-04, 23:34   Link #1535
Chainspell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Random thought, but when's the first DVD episode chronologically? Was it between 5 and 6? *forgets*

Anyway, that part in episode 8 when Naomi's like, "Kanata how did you find out about the distillery the girls had going?" and Kanata's like, "Ehh... I'll tell you later" and they never explain it for the rest of the series? I was thinking maybe that's a continuity nod to the first DVD special episode, where they'll explain how she found out...

I hope I'm not stating the obvious...
Well I just hope they don't spend too much time on 'how' Kanata found out and more time on the real back story of the show which was what truly happened to humanity. That being said I'm hoping the extra episode isn't going to be all fanservice filler that will not bring closure to the speculations that made the show entertaining to some.

Not that fanservice is a bad thing...

Spoiler for Pic:

Last edited by Chainspell; 2010-04-05 at 00:15.
Chainspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 23:37   Link #1536
Raiga
tl;dr

Wait, is that a real screenshot? O___O Inoue Marina...?
Old 2010-04-04, 23:41   Link #1537
Midonin
Last Engage

PSP game screenshot.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 23:47   Link #1538
Raiga
tl;dr

Oh, so there's a PSP game... that is quite the character design. XD
Old 2010-04-04, 23:58   Link #1539
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainspell View Post
Well I just hope they don't spend too much time on 'how' Kanata found out and more time on the real back story of the show which was what truly happened to humanity. That being said I'm hoping the extra episode isn't going to be all fanservice filler that will not bring closure to the speculations that made the show entertaining to some.

Not that fanservice is not bad...

Spoiler for Pic:
Damn you Natsuru!!! Filicia/Rio is not to be broken!!

So what is this, a yuri dating sim with Marina Inoue in another harem lead?

Also, strange over where I live they already have Sora no Woto out on dvd. Full season for 20 dollars. That was pretty damn quick.

Quote:
The series was never about showing the story of war in a devastated world, or the exploration of said devastated world, but the exploration of how human will survives in such conditions. Once you accept this or something equivalent as the premise of the show it becomes a ton more enjoyable
True, it's about humans moving on. But it's also moving on after the apocalypse which played an important role in why the world is as it is now so I hope this aspect won't be completely forgotten in the ovas. Remember Survivors tv? They showed half the 1st episode about everyone dying before the rest of the season became about humans moving on.

Quote:
Anyone else noticed that the show pretty much took a nosedive to crap territory after episode 7? It's just jarring to see that the producers seemingly unable to decide what they want to tell the audience with Sora no Woto. Such a shame really as the show has an interesting premise and godly music.
Episode 8: >_<
Episode 9: Meh
Episode 10-12: Fuck yeah.

Although they should have expanded this to a few more episodes. Maybe a Filicia and Rio episode? A bit more on Kureha's background and Aisha was inserted at the last minute. And maybe we'd get a bit more characterisation for Harem Romanian Pope.

The setting of this show is great and I like most characters (even if Kanata and Kureha annoy me), but the way it was written and the attempt to put so much into a short space of time played out for the worse.

Last edited by NinjaYali; 2010-04-05 at 00:09.
Old 2010-04-05, 00:09   Link #1540
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Points of view. Personally I'm completely satisfied with the time I invested with this series. The series was never about showing the story of war in a devastated world, or the exploration of said devastated world, but the exploration of how human will survives in such conditions. Once you accept this or something equivalent as the premise of the show it becomes a ton more enjoyable. Trust me.
+1

SnW is a special type of war series in that it doesn't show the horrors of directly (except ep7), nor is it about the fights. The show is about the aftermath and people who are left behind and how they find the strength to live on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post
Also, strange over where I live they already have Sora no Woto out on dvd. Pirated Full season for 20 dollars. That was pretty damn quick.
Fix't
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, music, seinen, slice of life