AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

View Poll Results: Should they expand the PC's gaming market to include more fighting games
Yes 11 57.89%
No 1 5.26%
Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to expand the PC into other genres 6 31.58%
I don't like fighting games... 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-03-16, 21:25   Link #21
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex_Yohko View Post
Making fighting games in PC is really bad idea. Not to mention that keyboards are not made for fighting games. With exceptions of doujin gamers and pirate programmers, all professional programmers stopped making fighting games for PC and went for PS2, Gamecube and XBOX instead. Now in the era of PS3, Wii and XBOX 360 Capcom is making Street Fighter 4 for PC? Both awesome and stupid in same time.
The keyboard is a lot better than an analog stick and D-pad combined for most 2D fighters.

Doing a qc on a keyboard is just hitting two keys in quick succession. Now that's control ;O
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 21:58   Link #22
tkdtiger

i dunno i tried using a keyboard with marvel vs capcom, but as soon as I started using a controller on my computer the game became much easier at least control wise : P
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 03:45   Link #23
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtiger View Post
well I think street fighter 4 for pc you're supposed to be able to play against xbox live players so I don't think it will too bad...hopefully they'll have key mapping so I can adjust my controller...
Playing versus xbox live players would mean that they'd have to force PC players to pay a Live Gold subscription as well (as it happened already in the past with other multiplayer cross-platform, titles). I don't see any PC player doing that.

And I still want to reitarate the macro/cheating issue which Capcom wouldn't likely be able to resolve (unless they find a way to detect if xpadder or other similar programs are working in background while the game is running).

Third thing, the fighting community is mostly gathered around the coin-op and console version, and the most skilled players are on coin-op. Anyone who has ambition to become a decent player and wants to learn and take part at tourneys shouldn't consider the PC version anyway. :\
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 07:02   Link #24
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

While I understand most of the skeptiscism toward fighting games on PC, I really do not understand the controller issue. And actually this is not the first time I read such comments, why is that so many people believe that one can't possibly use a joypad controller on a PC?

I use a PS2 joypad on my PC with an USB adaptor (the adaptor costs less than 20 bucks), the controller works exactly the same way as it works on a PS2 (double analog sticks included), there is absolutely no difference. I've tested this joypad on several PC games and several emulated game, I've never noticed any conflict.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 09:13   Link #25
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
The keyboard is a lot better than an analog stick and D-pad combined for most 2D fighters.

Doing a qc on a keyboard is just hitting two keys in quick succession. Now that's control ;O
I don't find it that way. Taking Street Fighter II for example, it is so easy to do Ryu's special attacks using a D-pad, yet using the keyboard makes it so difficult that my attacks turn out as something different than what I intend on doing which usually results in getting a gameover.

More over, most 2D fighting games do not consist of just 1-2 buttons. The least to say, games like Sengoku Basara X and Guilty Gear X consist of many more button presses; a keyboard is possibly the worse idea. However, that is irrelevant to the point of making more fighting games on the pc by game makers considering that there are tons of pc controllers out there, as well as adapters that enable the use of console controllers on the pc.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 20:19   Link #26
tkdtiger

not to mention most if not all the controllers on consols actually already had a variant on the pc before hand...so I have to agree that controller issues isn't really a problem...i agree thought that cheating can be a problem with the PC...of course than again you had controllers for consoles that you can programs moves into so I think if there is a will to cheat on any venue there will be people who cheat....
Old 2009-03-17, 20:28   Link #27
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Bring a game to a competitive level and people will start to cheat, this is a sad reality.

Certainly PCs offer an easier way to break the rules, it's not so strange that many MMO (if not all of them) are plagued by cheating programs of any kind. That however never stopped MMORPGs, RTSs and Teamplay FPSs to prosper. Can't see why that should be a problem in this case.

Old 2009-03-18, 01:52   Link #28
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Can't see why that should be a problem in this case.
Probably because there doesn't seem to be a good way to deal with people who cheat with macros. And again, add the fact that the best competition and the best players are found on the arcade versions and the console one. Why would they want to move to the PC version?
Old 2009-03-18, 08:03   Link #29
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Probably because there doesn't seem to be a good way to deal with people who cheat with macros. And again, add the fact that the best competition and the best players are found on the arcade versions and the console one. Why would they want to move to the PC version?
There's been similar cheat programs for other games too, ever heard about "aimbots" before?

Also i know there's been MMORPGs where players used illegal macros to make character perform a long series of actions by just pressing a button. As long as they answer to GM calls they can't be busted.

Anyway is it stricly necessary to play a 1v1 fighting game online now? i never did that even once in my life, and yet i've been playing many solo or with my real friends. The netplay for this genre is something very recent. I certainly do not care about playing "against the best players" even one bit, playing for fun is enough for me.

Old 2009-03-18, 12:47   Link #30
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Because newer Arcade boards are PCs? It is just unharvested profit, most of the titles would have already covered the production costs, through consoles and arcade sells, a PC version is more or less free money for some companies. Honestly online vs gaming is just a joke anyway, you'll see kiddies and crap gamers using all tools necessary to spoil fun for others, only so they can get a high ranking position, yeah some people need to compensate for their crappy skills or manlyhood. Lag switch, packet sniffing and what not, you get these funny people everywhere not just on PC but also on consoles.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 16:38   Link #31
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
There's been similar cheat programs for other games too, ever heard about "aimbots" before?

Also i know there's been MMORPGs where players used illegal macros to make character perform a long series of actions by just pressing a button. As long as they answer to GM calls they can't be busted.
And how would you solve this issue regarding the use of joy2key and xpadder for PC fighting games? Do you think producers like Capcom would care about fixing this issue on the version that will most likely sell less copies?

Quote:
Anyway is it stricly necessary to play a 1v1 fighting game online now? i never did that even once in my life, and yet i've been playing many solo or with my real friends. The netplay for this genre is something very recent. I certainly do not care about playing "against the best players" even one bit, playing for fun is enough for me.
I'm not saying that, but what I am saying is that I don't see a lot of people on PC playing this game. Those who are into this genre usually play the arcade version or the console one, wether they do it for fun or wether they do it for competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Because newer Arcade boards are PCs? It is just unharvested profit, most of the titles would have already covered the production costs, through consoles and arcade sells, a PC version is more or less free money for some companies. Honestly online vs gaming is just a joke anyway, you'll see kiddies and crap gamers using all tools necessary to spoil fun for others, only so they can get a high ranking position, yeah some people need to compensate for their crappy skills or manlyhood. Lag switch, packet sniffing and what not, you get these funny people everywhere not just on PC but also on consoles.
Sure is "free" money (it depends on how much it'll sell though, they don't print DVDs for free anyway), but I don't see that being a lot of money anyway. Face it, PC is a third-rate market for fighting games. Whether SF4 will have success or not on PC, it won't really bother Capcom since as you said it's not a risky investment for them and they barely care about it (although they did complain about DMC4 PC version's poor sales last year).
Old 2009-03-18, 17:55   Link #32
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
I'm not saying that, but what I am saying is that I don't see a lot of people on PC playing this game. Those who are into this genre usually play the arcade version or the console one, wether they do it for fun or wether they do it for competition.
On this point i generally agree. The main problem is that the targeted population that is more likely to be interested in this kind of games owns both a PC and a console (with few exceptions). Those people are most probably going to buy the console version given the option. I thinks this is because this is a kind of game that you'd rather play in front of a TV screen while sitting on a couch, rather than on a chair in front of a monitor. Plus this is a kind of game that you are probabily going to play with friends (and i mean real life friends), and there again couch+TV proves to be more comfortable.

Old 2009-03-18, 19:51   Link #33
tkdtiger

you know I'm thinking of getting a consol...which would you suggest? I don't have tv but my computer has an hdmi port so will a consol connect to it?
Old 2009-03-19, 07:19   Link #34
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtiger View Post
you know I'm thinking of getting a consol...which would you suggest? I don't have tv but my computer has an hdmi port so will a consol connect to it?
Both 360 and PS3 can be connected via HDMI to a monitor (I have them both, and they're connected to a 22" Samsung LCD monitor). Choose the console with the lineup of games that interests you the most.

Back IT, I want to underline that I am not against fighting games on PC (I'm one of the few people who actually bought Melty Blood Act Cadenza Ver. B and Big Bang Beat), but right now I find it highly improbable to see this genre flourish on PC as it does on the other platforms, for all the reasons I mentioned earlier.