AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-04-29, 09:55   Link #1621
ffantasy24

Is it actually confirmed that she is going to court?
Moreover has anyone heard that Obata actually knows about this?
ffantasy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 13:21   Link #1622
ZeroForever

sooo apparently the death note artist (though which series is that picture from? blue dragon?) has beef with her...

since there both in SJ (he's doing bakuman right now) i would assume he would know and stuff like that usually requires the source mangaka prosecuting in order for the situation to end up like this.

personally i hope it doesn't get cancelled due to this incident, though i'm curious what the prior incident was.
Old 2009-04-29, 21:40   Link #1623
Cinocard

Of course Obata knows. That starfish picture isn't licensed by any individual/organization or anything, so Hoshino-sensei would only get into this mess if the man actually prosecutes her himself. Otherwise, he only needs to say one word of consent, and this whole mess would end.

If D.Gray Man is axed, it's Obata's ego that makes it so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Plagiarism by definition involves the use of known material, so there's no such thing as "accidental" plagiarism, it either is or isn't...anyway, none of my business, I'm not the one going to court:P
I meant even if she accidental thought of something that looks similar to Obata's, it doesn't hold much value in the court, yet she stole, or deliberately stole nothing.

Also "accidental plagiarisms" account for 90% of plagiarism in academy. Though it has a different meaning there.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 04:20   Link #1624
Wargumm1i
Hentai

There is also something called coincidences, I mean iv heard of cases like this when someone draws something in a manga that has already bin used in another manga, but the person who drawed it didint know it already existed.
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 06:06   Link #1625
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Well, it's the author's responsibility to ensure that his/her work is not copied from somewhere. Besides, what were her editors doing when they looked at the chapter?
actually it's only plagarism/ infringement of copyright if the author/artist stole the idea or copied the idea from others. Even if a person wrote the exact same book as another existing writer, as long as there were no contact, knowledge of the other work, etc, there's no copright infringement.

it's diff from a patent or a trademark.
Hisoka?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 09:22   Link #1626
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
Of course Obata knows. That starfish picture isn't licensed by any individual/organization or anything, so Hoshino-sensei would only get into this mess if the man actually prosecutes her himself. Otherwise, he only needs to say one word of consent, and this whole mess would end.

If D.Gray Man is axed, it's Obata's ego that makes it so.
And we cannot do anything if the endgame result is the series being canned. For SJ, Obata has been a better money spinner than Hoshino. Heck, I'm guessing HunterX Hunter, even with its schedule, still ships more copies than DGM.
Old 2009-04-30, 21:37   Link #1627
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Ok, this is getting confusing. Is the series on hiatus because of health issues, or otherwise?
Old 2009-04-30, 21:43   Link #1628
GDB

No one knows for sure, hence all the speculation.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 21:58   Link #1629
seiji_kun

Damn, I kind of thougth she fell sick again though I'm glad it aren't health problems for her. And while I absolutely love Bakuman and Death Note (up to the part that L died), Obata suddenly looks a small minded man to me to make such a drama over a little star which he probably stole from somewhere else. Beeing unique in this day & age is quite hard anyway. Everything is done bye now. What's next, OP stops airing cause Luffy's gear third is stolen from Tom & Jerry.

Guess like Eiji, he always wanted to cancel one series in Jump. Can't do wonders for his popularity though. Or maybe he got the hots for Hoshino sensei and wants to cut a certain deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usopsama View Post
Personally, it is not as bad as Dragon Ball vs. Cross Hunter:

Spoiler for :
Man, I can't stop laughing. Now I truly believe I can become a mangaka to.
Old 2009-04-30, 22:06   Link #1630
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, I think of it as: How difficult is it to say sorry, even if the copying is by accident? Surely, Hoshino can come up with another design for the hand. Also, she already has more than 10 tankubons to her name. You'll think that she at least have a sense of how gritty stuff can become in the publishing business.
Old 2009-04-30, 23:32   Link #1631
Cinocard

So you believe a little "sorry" will solve the problem?

Sure, if someone told me something I came up all by myself plagiarism, It would crack me like hell. But I'm an adult, and Hoshino-sensei is. I think she would say sorry already.

Lolz, we are really going to far with the speculation.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 23:45   Link #1632
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
So you believe a little "sorry" will solve the problem?

Sure, if someone told me something I came up all by myself plagiarism, It would crack me like hell. But I'm an adult, and Hoshino-sensei is. I think she would say sorry already.

Lolz, we are really going to far with the speculation.
A little sorry, and accepting the settlement, if only to punish your own neglect. In such cases, it's usually a fine and a published apology. Probably the second part that's giving her pause. Still, if Obata is demanding a lot from the settlement, she has little choice but to go along if she wants to continue with her career.

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2009-04-30 at 23:58.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 11:20   Link #1633
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Still, if Obata is demanding a lot from the settlement, she has little choice but to go along if she wants to continue with her career.
And if what he wants is essentially an end to her career? If he's as much of an egotistical ass as it seems, that may be what he's going for. In which case, she has no choice but to fight it to the end.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 19:39   Link #1634
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
And if what he wants is essentially an end to her career? If he's as much of an egotistical ass as it seems, that may be what he's going for. In which case, she has no choice but to fight it to the end.
I don't think he'll be able to go that far. DGM may not be a money spinner for SJ, but the editors do recognise that they have a winner here. My guess is a compromise. After all, if he pushes too much, a few "random" leaks on how he refused to compromise would cast him in a bad light, which he might not recover from.
Old 2009-05-02, 00:59   Link #1635
Kafriel
Senior Guest

My guess would be that it ends in Hoshino having to rewrite that chapter and/or paying a fee, I can't imagine someone would be so angry from just one panel as to go as far as wanting to end the manga.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 22:29   Link #1636
Edgewalker
Nani ?

So.. if this lawsuit goes through, does that mean Toriyama gets to sue every Shounen work that includes a move which causes the users hair to change color followed shortly by a beam of doom ?

That would be on the same lines as this.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 23:53   Link #1637
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Weeeell, beams of doom are a very generic art, but he holds copyright over the names, and yeah if anyone uses the super saiyan theme he got the right to press charges...ofc other people can just ask permission to use it.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-10, 08:40   Link #1638
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Finally received my volume 11 but lol
Ont he page where you have the characters listed they listed Arystar's name as Yu Kanda, damn you Viz!
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-10, 14:11   Link #1639
KimmyChan

I'm totally loving the fab D. Gray-Man lately! I've already read the first 2 volumes!

Can't wait to read volume 3 onwards soon! Allen is just too fab for words!
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 21:46   Link #1640
strategos

any news on DGM?

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, manga, shounen, steampunk, supernatural