AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 90 62.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 23.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 7.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 2.78%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.39%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-28, 23:29   Link #141
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I basically would agree with that except that the original source material (the manga) doesn't contain "parody". The parodies are an "anime only" insertion by KyoAni.
Ah well.... it is what it is and I'll just have to grin and bear with it.
Old 2007-07-28, 23:51   Link #142
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Every one is arguing about Haruhi references, but I think there's something far more important: I can't believe no one mentioned the MIYUKI-FEST in the first half of the episode!! (OK, nanafan mentioned it. )

I've felt for the entire series so far that Miyuki is a character full of potential, but was under-utilized and under-explored. It's necessary, perhaps, but I find it a bit tragic: While I find all of the characters interesting, Miyuki is the only one that strikes me as interesting or amusing independent of other characters. In fact, I find it a bit ironic that the other characters don't have much opportunity to be interesting by themselves but really shine when interacting with others, whereas Miyuki is interesting by herself, but doesn't have much opportunity to be interesting when interacting with others--with the exception of her mother.

Despite this episode tying its sections together as best has been done since the beach episode, to me it really felt segregated between the manga content and the non-manga content. I somehow get the feeling that the first part of the episode (not counting the cafe sequence) was mostly anime-only, but I really enjoyed it. A lot. In this episode more than any other, the clear 1/2/3/4 pace was dropped more consistently, and the character dialogue just flowed. It was wonderful. ENCHANTING. Lucky Star has a certain charm in jumping from sketch to sketch, joke to joke, but when I get to see how well it works with smoother timings and transitions, there's no doubt that I prefer it this way.

Seeing an episode that is so cohesive, that streams so smoothly, that integrates Miyuki so well, and that makes such an interesting spectacle of the world around them, I'm pining for the Lucky Star That Could Have Been. I've enjoyed everything so far, but what if they'd started off firing on all cylinders? I can only hope that the rest of the series can be so good, but they didn't really keep up the pace after the beach episode as I'd wished, so my hopes may be in vain.

As for Haruhi references...

Skane is quite right in pointing out that the Haruhi references stand out primarily because they're recognizable, and not because they're overwhelming compared to the other references (which include media from many companies, and even quite "normal" media productions). There are many, many things being referenced in the show, and with the exception of the Hirano concert in a previous episode (which bothered me because it seemed so pasted on) and, of course, the references in this episode, they've always been very balanced with the other references. Konata having Hare Hare Yukai as her ringtone is entirely appropriate and cute, and doesn't compare to the even more blatant and distracting than the Keroro Gunsou, Da Capo, and Code Geass reference we've seen.

The other issue is "Should Lucky Star have references? (or at least, should it have so many?)". I agree with Vexx that the original content is quite capable of standing on its own, without the references to move the market. Lucky Star doesn't need references.

That said, while I don't think it needs references, I do think references (as long as they don't overwhelm the source material) are appropriate. Why? The original context of Lucky Star was as a Comptiq page-filler. It proved popular enough to be serialized, but in either case it was always intended to be part of a PC-magazine-turned-PC-game-magazine-turned-bishojo-magazine, and that's why you also see Akira, another of the manga-ka's character's who isn't part of Lucky Star but of Comptiq, itself. If Lucky Star had references as a 4koma, it would have just been redundant. When appearing outside of Comptiq and adapted for another medium, though, I don't think references are out of place, because that content is a type of replacement for what's lost when the strip is pulled from its original context.

This episode, though, was an exception in that they really did pull out all the stops with Haruhi. And... I think they did a great job. The scenes about the characters before they were about Haruhi, and I think it shows. I would have groaned seriously if it had just been Haruhi on display, but instead I was watching the other girls see Konata on the job with appropriate Haruhi in-jokes on the side. Nothing required an understanding of Haruhi to be funny or relate the weirdness of cosplay/maid cafes (or, earlier, the ringtone habits of otaku), but if you did understand it, the scene was even better. The swiftly changing expressions and performances of Hirano as Konata went in and out of character were supremely amusing.

I freely admit, though, that while my first priority is seeing the characters come before the references (and I was well pleased in that respect), I giggled like mad at the Haruhi references. I just wish that, while they were at it, Gotou Yuuko could have had a part. I was sad to see her missing.

In summary:
- Without considering scenes with external references, one of the best examples of Lucky Star yet, IMO.
- The external references were tastefully done and amusing.
- MIYUKI MIYUKI MIYUKI! My enthusiasm is inexplicable to some, but I can only attribute it to my weakness for the amazing combination of Moe meshing with Intelligence and Competence.

Last edited by Kyuusai; 2007-07-29 at 08:47.
Old 2007-07-28, 23:54   Link #143
shinku no kage
:Still Yayoi's Onii~chan:

Spoiler for My RANTINGS on the ep:

My thoughts overall: VERY nice. BRAVO~.10/10

-The first half was basically much needed air time for Miyuki-san+mom. She finally gets some spotlight. I'm not a big Miyuki-san myself but she's really under rated in my opinion so this was a great boost for her. Also Misao and Ayano is getting some attention too. Especially Misao, theres enough of her char out there to give her a decent fan base.

-"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" reference!!Some say going too far, I say "God has heard my prayers." \(TwT)/ . Honestly, YES, KyoAni MAY have gone a bit too far but, they worked the reference in with great work. Its not advertising, its part of the show folks!! Kyon, Nagato, the two songs from the series...blended in nicely with the episode as a whole.

*Why was Kagamin in home ec with Kona, Tsukasa, and Miyuki? She's in a different class...perhaps class merge?

-I seriously didnt think that they'd go with the Akira LIVE. But they did and my thoughts on it was....WIN!! Worked out very nicely. (=w=)

....uuuuhhh, I dont think that I had any other strong opinions left on it...*goes to re-watch ep*

Last edited by shinku no kage; 2007-07-29 at 00:28.
Old 2007-07-29, 01:04   Link #144
Calawain
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I basically would agree with that except that the original source material (the manga) doesn't contain "parody". The parodies are an "anime only" insertion by KyoAni.
Ah well.... it is what it is and I'll just have to grin and bear with it.
Yeah I haven't read the manga so I have no reference (if it was translated and licensed here in the states I would). However the anime adaptation has added the parody elements then, and since I don't have something to compare it against it all converges together.
Old 2007-07-29, 03:01   Link #145
superzombie23

The first 1/3 of the episode kind of sucked, but the last 2/3 were amazing. I loved the Haruhi jokes and the way they beeped out Code Geass and Lelouch lmao...
Old 2007-07-29, 03:32   Link #146
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Reasonable ep, most of the funny coming out of the references. But, I am so sick of Anime Tenchou. The Anime Tenchou bits have become less funny than Lucky Channel, which was, coincidentally enough, smirk-worthy in this ep.
Old 2007-07-29, 05:10   Link #147
Knoxer

Well a lot of people that are complaining about the Haruhi ads, but I think they we're well placed for some good laughs. I know when they started to dance on staged I was laughing quiet a bit, but when I was the customers also dancing... that made me loose my breath. I literally started to tear from laughter.

I was also glad to see a Legendary Girl A scene again, for some reason they always crack me up.

All in all the episode was good, only bad thing was it was off to a slow start.
Old 2007-07-29, 06:09   Link #148
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

First after about Miyuki was done rather well, seeing her moe side over and over again. Same goes for her Mother, who is so <3.

Cosplay Cafe was done nicely, though just a bit to much Haruhi if you ask. Best part was Kyon.

Fang-chan has the same hair as me, well before i went for a haircut.

& yay best Lucky Channel yet.
Old 2007-07-29, 06:40   Link #149
mouhitori

A very enjoyable episode. Judging from the poll, not too many people in this forum seem to be bothered by the references and supposed advertising. It sure didn't bother me either.

If a lot of the manga does not make it into the anime, it might prove to be a blessing, as it will surely ensure a second season of lucky star goodness !
Old 2007-07-29, 07:32   Link #150
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

This episode wins to the very last frame.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2007-07-29, 08:22   Link #151
jtrog

Ep 15 was one of the best I have seen in a while. Konata from the start has been a Shuffle! and Haruhi addict. The whole series revolves around these girls lives at school and out of school.

Seeing Konata 'AT WORK' in that cosplay place added even more to it. I didn't know she had a job! Priceless.

Now the ending stuff was also super. Those lines come out of Akiras' mouth so smooth, jumping in and out of character. (think thats her name).

They have found a way to appease the fans a-lot of ways in this one.

I gave it a 10 I think.
Old 2007-07-29, 08:38   Link #152
Nate-Rivers
Minami Luv <3

Send a message via AIM to Nate-Rivers
Glad they went more into Miyuki and I loved the microwave

costume cafe was awesome as well. Nagato waitress is one of my favorites :P And there is no denying the Hare Hare Yukai dance I rewatched that. More Minami and Misao as well! And Lucky Star was great. 10/10
Old 2007-07-29, 11:07   Link #153
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

This ep was just absolute WIN, don't care what anyone says it was a great

10/10
Old 2007-07-29, 11:46   Link #154
Xiaolang

I was entertained: I laughed, I cried (tears of joy) and it made me happy. It's just what I need in a comedy series. Therefore, I gave it a 10. =)
Old 2007-07-29, 12:47   Link #155
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

God. The Konaruhi scene was just priceless. Completely priceless. Tsun vs. Tsun. The swift and smooth transition from Kona to Konaruhi, especially the facial expressions. 10 different kinds of win there.

And before that, Kyon and Nagato cameo to the tee (and in preview too). And after that, Classified Info. Awesome, or maybe I'm just hungry for 2nd season of Haruhi.

What else? Miyuki family-thon first half. Kagami and friends-thon last quarter. Radically different LC and ED. Good... very good.

I'm this close --> <-- to giving this episode a 10/10, and I usually don't do episode ratings vast majority of the time. It was that good for me.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-07-29, 13:50   Link #156
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've updated the hashihime characters/seiyuus page to include pics of and info about the new characters from ep16 -- Patty Martin and the Miyakawa sisters -- and their seiyuus (including the fabulous Sasaki Nozomi and the wonderful Kano Yui).

I'm sure Yukino Satsuki did a great job as Patty Martin, but I think we'll find that Sasaki Nozomi (Nanami in Bokura ga Ita) does her own kind of great job, too. The younger Miyakawa sister is Kano Yui, who was co-winner of the award as top young seiyuu of 2006 for Momoko in Sumoimo mo Momo mo; and the elder sister is Takaguchi Yukiko, who was amazing as Sunako in Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge (The Wallflower).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-07-29 at 14:31.
Old 2007-07-29, 14:45   Link #157
Tatsumiko
*Artist

This ep was awesome

...hmmm I dont feel like putting long comments lately -_-''
Old 2007-07-29, 15:01   Link #158
cardslash02

What is that word Shiraishi says just at the end of Kuroi-sensei's speech about not slacking off b4 the holidays?
Old 2007-07-29, 15:08   Link #159
truehappiness

Apparently, looking up the "Kamchatka" sub, it's some mountain or something in Russia.

For some reason, I don't think that's what he really said.. hm...

UNSPEAKABLE
Old 2007-07-29, 18:46   Link #160
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
Apparently, looking up the "Kamchatka" sub, it's some mountain or something in Russia.

For some reason, I don't think that's what he really said.. hm...
Kamchatka Peninsula is part of the Russian far east. I don't think it's what he said either, because it really sounded like "KAMIZAKA" instead of "KAMUCHAKKA" (カムチャッカ). It sounds like Shiraishi is being impressed by Nanako's ability to read the minds of students who want to take a longer vacation by taking the time between April 29 and May 3rd off via "sick days". I thought the Kami part made sense, but I don't know what the rest mean. I have to do more digging but maybe we have to just take it as is.

EDIT: I thought I remembered this but I guess this is the only link I can find. The Kurile Islands is a chain of islands at the end of the Kamchatka Peninsula. This ownership of these islands is disputed among Japan and Russia. Many Japanese believed these are Japanese land and I guess that's how the word Kamchatka became an everyday word. I can see how some would use it some sort of patriotic battle cry, but I don't see how the anime scene is related to this territorial dispute tracing back to the Edo period.
Closed Thread