Notices

Old 2012-02-15, 11:53   Link #6981
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
I always assumed it was 4-6. And how can it be a rough estimate, surely their would have been some markers that would confirm the delay between rankings and release. If not what's that estimate based on?
Rough estimate because no one officially said this is how it's done.
We're going off of hearsay and what Bakuman said at one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xj View Post
were do you guys find the rankings at
The rankings is the Table of Contents of the magazine. When the magazine gets scanned, people report the ToC.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 12:06   Link #6982
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
Well, the other thing I ran across today while trying to figure out/clarify which chapter each ranking referred to was the fact that series only start getting ranked after their 8th chapter. Or at least, that seemed to be the common explanation amongst people who follow those kinds of threads. But yeah, I guess I haven't got any idea how accurate that really is either, myself.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 12:08   Link #6983
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:

The rankings is the Table of Contents of the magazine. When the magazine gets scanned, people report the ToC.
Do we even know how it's counted? Because if it's over several weeks Sol's point about the anime hype only affecting in december would be incorrect, since people could still vote with that hype during september etc.

Either way it doesn't really matter, unless volume sales start dropping, which is unlikely considering it now has an anime, these rankings won't have any affect on Medaka Box. Plus it's ending soon or so Aijimu would have you believe.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 12:21   Link #6984
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Well, the other thing I ran across today while trying to figure out/clarify which chapter each ranking referred to was the fact that series only start getting ranked after their 8th chapter. Or at least, that seemed to be the common explanation amongst people who follow those kinds of threads.
Right, they're following the same hearsay. There's no one source that actually said anything concrete.

Quote:
Do we even know how it's counted? Because if it's over several weeks Sol's point about the anime hype only affecting in december would be incorrect, since people could still vote with that hype during september etc
We know that there are polls from the magazines, we just aren't concretely sure when it's all counted. The general consensus is 7-8 weeks because of what Bakuman said at some point, and that's what people are assuming.

Anyway, the height of the anime hype is going to come in when the anime actually airs. By this point, we should assume it's not going to end by the time the anime arrives,
since it'd be silly from a business standpoint to end the manga just as the anime comes out. You lose the chance to advertise the magazine through the anime, and vice versa.
Old 2012-02-15, 12:35   Link #6985
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Right, they're following the same hearsay. There's no one source that actually said anything concrete.

We know that there are polls from the magazines, we just aren't concretely sure when it's all counted. The general consensus is 7-8 weeks because of what Bakuman said at some point, and that's what people are assuming.

Anyway, the height of the anime hype is going to come in when the anime actually airs. By this point, we should assume it's not going to end by the time the anime arrives,
since it'd be silly from a business standpoint to end the manga just as the anime comes out. You lose the chance to advertise the magazine through the anime, and vice versa.
Yeah seems like Nisio put that in as an F you to jump and the publishers of the volumes. Which is honestly quite silly.
Old 2012-02-15, 15:12   Link #6986
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I like Medkaka Box butif goes longer than forty volumes to the point where it becomes the very thing it is making fun of, I'll drop it entirely. While I don't despise most shoenen battle manga. most of these manga start to lose their luster when it becomes the same over and over agian. Dragon Ball was good for its run but after the Frieza saga, it got ridiculous and the characters are too powerful for any sort of villain to pose a threat.
Old 2012-02-15, 15:18   Link #6987
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I like Medkaka Box butif goes longer than forty volumes to the point where it becomes the very thing it is making fun of, I'll drop it entirely. While I don't despise most shoenen battle manga. most of these manga start to lose their luster when it becomes the same over and over agian. Dragon Ball was good for its run but after the Frieza saga, it got ridiculous and the characters are too powerful for any sort of villain to pose a threat.
Mostly because the author ends up pulling some random crap with no real end game planned. Plus Dragon Ball was forced to continue the mangaka wanted to end it at like Frieza saga (I forget the specific arc but it was around that period) but the jump editors pretty much begged him to continue again and again. Because Dragon was ridulously popular and if it end early they'd be losing sales

Probably the only long term shounen story I really enjoy is One Piece, pretty much because Oda has planned out his story and it's end game to a ridiculous degree, rather than it being dragged out it's more of the case that it was designed to be that long in the first place, probably even longer.
Old 2012-02-15, 15:53   Link #6988
Johnny
Working the bags...

Quote:
I always assumed it was 4-6. And how can it be a rough estimate, surely their would have been some markers that would confirm the delay between rankings and release. If not what's that estimate based on?
No, it is 8 chapters...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 16:19   Link #6989
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
No, it is 8 chapters...
We already went through this about how noone really knows though it very well could be 8 chapters (probably is).

Do you have any proof?

Really though it does seem kinda silly that it would be that 8 chapters, that's two months and this is supposed to be ranking of reasonability current popularity of which suppposedly manga are axed based partially on. How can you determine the current popularity of manga from a ranking of a 2 month old chapter, a lot could have happened chapter wise in those two months which could have made it jump or fall in popularity. If this was to be at least a reasonable judge of current popularity it would be 4 weeks, ideally less, but it's probably not possible.
Old 2012-02-15, 16:30   Link #6990
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Mostly because the author ends up pulling some random crap with no real end game planned. Plus Dragon Ball was forced to continue the mangaka wanted to end it at like Frieza saga (I forget the specific arc but it was around that period) but the jump editors pretty much begged him to continue again and again. Because Dragon was ridulously popular and if it end early they'd be losing sales

Probably the only long term shounen story I really enjoy is One Piece, pretty much because Oda has planned out his story and it's end game to a ridiculous degree, rather than it being dragged out it's more of the case that it was designed to be that long in the first place, probably even longer.
One Piece is one of the few exceptions to this but usually it ends up getting boring and repetitive. I'll give Oda this he can build a world, create interesting characters and he create a consistent storyline. One Piece is a story that is more focused on the journey rather than destination. It is going to end eventually but it will be a fun ride nonetheless and it will become classic shonen that is way up there with Saint Seiya, Fist of the North Star and Dragon Ball. I just don't see this manga lasting that long espcially since the story being as meta as it is. Even if the author planned this thing to be longer, it will become the very thing it is imitating and there is no real challenge to Medaka herself anyway.
Old 2012-02-15, 16:34   Link #6991
Johnny
Working the bags...

Quote:
We already went through this about how noone really knows though it very well could be 8 chapters (probably is).

Do you have any proof?

Really though it does seem kinda silly that it would be that 8 chapters, that's two months and this is supposed to be ranking of reasonability current popularity of which suppposedly manga are axed based partially on. How can you determine the current popularity of manga from a ranking of a 2 month old chapter, a lot could have happened chapter wise in those two months which could have made it jump or fall in popularity. If this was to be at least a reasonable judge of current popularity it would be 4 weeks, ideally less, but it's probably not possible.
I've seen it explained on that weeklyjump livejournal and mangahelpers at one point. I could sift through it all and try and find it, but I do know that it isn't 4 chapters for sure...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 16:39   Link #6992
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Sigh I just finished saying the general consensus is 7-8 but it's unofficial. Let's not start talking about this again
Old 2012-02-15, 16:45   Link #6993
Tenchi Hou Take

Found these spoilers, no idea if their legit. Could someone translate?

めだかボックスネタバレ。第134話
咲ちゃんのお願い…!

咲ちゃんのお願いは生徒会との対バン
めだかちゃんがドラムを叩き始めるも技術が凄すぎて雑味、人間味が無く全く感動しない善吉高貴 もがな

対バンメンバーは善吉高貴もがなの三人に
バンド名は「めだかボックス」でボーカルはもがな。

文化祭当日

この日だけは私服での登校が許される一日

私服のヤバさがバレてしまうというリスクも孕んだ恐ろしい日でもある
(このコマで廊下でモリーンな名瀬ちゃんとハートマークが一杯描かれたTシャツを迷彩模様のズボンに入れ、 いつものように帽子を被っている赤さんが描かれてる)
呼子と小林さんも私服あり。二人は普通にいい感じ

咲ちゃん達三人が紹介されるページあり
咲ちゃんは歌って踊って牙をむくとかビーストアイドルとか言われてたのであの顔でアイドルをや ってる模様
ちなみに咲ちゃん達は候補の中からアミダで決めたらしくめだかちゃんは彼女らをよく知らない
その後はずっと咲ちゃん達のターン
Old 2012-02-15, 16:52   Link #6994
Homura7

Instead of this, why don't you guys ask me if you wish to have the raw?
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 16:55   Link #6995
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan View Post
Instead of this, why don't you guys ask me if you wish to have the raw?
out on Jcafe24?

edit: Oh goody it is

Still want a summary to know what the hell I just read.
Old 2012-02-16, 20:18   Link #6996
osorito

134 is out on cxc!
osorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 20:31   Link #6997
[HearT]

chapter 134's great! xD really looking forward to the upcoming chapters♥

This chapter sort of had the feel of the earlier chapters in the series :3 I like it~

I'm kinda curious why it seems that everyone's losing their memory of their previous school's tho xD oh well~~

Last edited by [HearT]; 2012-02-16 at 20:45.
[HearT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 20:36   Link #6998
ShiroiRyu

Hum ...
So a ... band fight ?
We can hope for the power of our hero ?
Old 2012-02-16, 20:39   Link #6999
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroiRyu View Post
Hum ...
So a ... band fight ?
We can hope for the power of our hero ?
Yeah a band fight seems quite boring, this whole slice of life stuff doesn't exactly make you want to look forward all that much to the next chaps.
Old 2012-02-16, 20:45   Link #7000
Yee

Well idk about you guys but I'm happy to see that Zen's family jewels are still growing.
Yee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council