Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-03-25, 08:40   Link #36141
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Just got back from Parliament. The queue time for me was 3 hrs. Note that the queue is much longer now, all the way to Hong Lim apparently; there's literally a non-stop line moving past the MM's bier to send him off.

Anyway, I hope that he can now depart in peace for the journey beyond
I'll be going in the midnight. Hope everyone is too tired to go and I can have my way there.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2015-03-25, 10:03   Link #36142
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

You may still be looking at a 4 hr queue. All trains will run 24 hrs until the Sunday funeral
Old 2015-03-25, 10:17   Link #36143
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I hope this news doesn't make you sad/angry/whatever.

Jeremy Clarkson Officially Fired From Top Gear

Jeremy maybe responsible for Top Gear's massive popularity but he was also a controversial figure due to the things he said and his behavior. While the BBC may have tolerated Jeremy due to his popularity on Top Gear, his fracas with a producer was the final straw and wasn't worth it.

I believe the BBC made the right decision of firing him since keeping him will just give people the wrong message that anyone who acts like an ass can get away with anything as long as they are popular.
Old 2015-03-25, 12:21   Link #36144
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'm curious to know what my fellow AS members think of this: Students swap clapping for jazz hands at NUS event.

I have to admit that I never knew that "Jazz Hands" was a thing. Is this... common? Anybody here familiar with this?

I have other thoughts on this, but I'll leave it at that for now. Again, I'm curious to know what my fellow AS members think of this.
Old 2015-03-25, 13:33   Link #36145
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm curious to know what my fellow AS members think of this: Students swap clapping for jazz hands at NUS event.

I have to admit that I never knew that "Jazz Hands" was a thing. Is this... common? Anybody here familiar with this?

I have other thoughts on this, but I'll leave it at that for now. Again, I'm curious to know what my fellow AS members think of this.
I didn't know what a jazz hands was before now, but honestly, it's beyond stupid.
Old 2015-03-25, 13:37   Link #36146
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I hope this news doesn't make you sad/angry/whatever.

Jeremy Clarkson Officially Fired From Top Gear

Jeremy maybe responsible for Top Gear's massive popularity but he was also a controversial figure due to the things he said and his behavior. While the BBC may have tolerated Jeremy due to his popularity on Top Gear, his fracas with a producer was the final straw and wasn't worth it.

I believe the BBC made the right decision of firing him since keeping him will just give people the wrong message that anyone who acts like an ass can get away with anything as long as they are popular.
It's a bit of a shame really because I really liked Clarkson and thought he was hilarious and I just can't see Top Gear being the same without him. But if he really is that much of a douchebag then he definitely has to go.

Though to be honest, I really wish this wouldn't get as much media attention as it does. If only important issues got nearly as much attention in the news (like the blatant NHS privitisation in Staffordshire or the reasons why the Barts Health Trust is failing). But then again I don't really expect much from our Corporate media (tabloids and papers) nor our Establishment media (The BBC) anymore.

Quote:

Never even heard of it until now. I think I'll stick to clapping.
Old 2015-03-25, 14:26   Link #36147
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Never even heard of it until now. I think I'll stick to clapping.
Reading that reply, and then looking at your current sig, made for a pretty amusing effect.

Yeah, I think I'll also do like your sig, and stick to clapping.
Old 2015-03-25, 15:22   Link #36148
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

That sounds like a solution in search of a problem. Though objectively, I suppose jazz hands are neither more nor less stupid than any other symbolic gesture.
Old 2015-03-25, 15:31   Link #36149
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
In a few of the concerts that I have been to, prolonged clapping does delay the performance. But in general, I would still stick to clapping as the "pro-outweight-con". As for "other culture", they are free to do whatever they are comfortable with.
Old 2015-03-25, 20:27   Link #36150
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Btw, if you hate anyone doing a speech or performance, clap in the middle of it. It signifies that "your time is up, now GTFO".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2015-03-25, 21:50   Link #36151
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Speaking of a certain NUS...why is LKY's state funeral held there? Seems a strange place rather than in the city or one of the national stadiums

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2015-03-26 at 00:04.
Old 2015-03-25, 22:02   Link #36152
aldw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Well maybe USA should give serious military aid to Taiwan then, because if a nation's existence is enough reason for Uncle Sam to give us guns and tanks, we should go ahead of Israel in priority. At least give us enough help to get our own nuclear weapons, Israel already got theirs.

Seriously, I am willing to make up some bogus religious links with Christianity and the Apocalypse if it is what it takes to get Republicans to throw free money at us. We already have archaeological proof that The Passover never happened, so it's not like you need anything REAL to base your faith around.
It's this sort of attitude that makes me appreciate the Roman approach of political problemsolving wrt the zealots, of which the 'Third Rome' understands quite well among others. It's unfortunate in a way that the Americans were never competent enough to pull off the 'Our Way to Rule Them All" approach that their ideologues wanted though.
Old 2015-03-25, 22:38   Link #36153
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Speaking of NUS...why is LKY's state funeral held there? Seems a strange place rather than in the city or one of the national stadiums
He has a inclination for scholarship; believed that higher education will empower people. Unfortunately in our case it bred more paper generals than leaders with humility.

Btw if you read yesterday's Straits Times you will know we have been subverted. Praising China all the way till the first piece ends.

Old 2015-03-25, 23:08   Link #36154
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Just how is NUS representative of the nation as compared to the city itself? Will the average person feel any connection as opposed to say, a ceremony held at Padang? If anything it's an ironical slap in the face reference to the present result of his education policy gone twisted; an insult to him in fact. I still wonder if deep down inside he privately despaired at the QUALITY results the unis churn out or was he unaware...

And that's nothing new. They can praise all they want but that doesn't mean you have to do so....your life, your body and what you do with it are yours after all. National boundaries are so porous now, you can effectively be a global citizen if you so choose. In such circumstance, should you even care what they do? Do any of these political shadow plays even hold any meaning at all? Let them struggle among themselves all they want and subvert whatever crap they want if that's what gives their lives meaning

EDIT:

This about sums up the MM's reign

https://www.facebook.com/helloasiasi...type=1&theater

Oddly, it is the most fitting tribute to him I have seen

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2015-03-25 at 23:54.
Old 2015-03-26, 00:47   Link #36155
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Just how is NUS representative of the nation as compared to the city itself? Will the average person feel any connection as opposed to say, a ceremony held at Padang? If anything it's an ironical slap in the face reference to the present result of his education policy gone twisted; an insult to him in fact. I still wonder if deep down inside he privately despaired at the QUALITY results the unis churn out or was he unaware...
I concur. It is a a shitty place to hold his funeral. Stick to Padang.

Quote:
And that's nothing new. They can praise all they want but that doesn't mean you have to do so....your life, your body and what you do with it are yours after all. National boundaries are so porous now, you can effectively be a global citizen if you so choose. In such circumstance, should you even care what they do? Do any of these political shadow plays even hold any meaning at all? Let them struggle among themselves all they want and subvert whatever crap they want if that's what gives their lives meaning
They do in your place of residence. A subverted country follows the whims and laws of the master.

Until you leave, you have censored internet, inaccurate news and policies made at the expense of your welfare.

And now they want to rename Changi LKY International airport. Talk about the god-elevation he vehemently rejected.

Old 2015-03-26, 01:08   Link #36156
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

But there's always ways to adapt...it's much more productive to just shrug and evolve and counter such things on a personal level.
Old 2015-03-26, 04:16   Link #36157
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Anyway, is anyone planning to attend the ceremony on Sunday?
Old 2015-03-26, 07:06   Link #36158
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Saudi Arabia leads air strikes against Yemen's Houthi rebels
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0ML0YC20150326

Just one pilot in cockpit at time of French Alps crash: German prosecutor
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0MK2U020150326
Old 2015-03-26, 08:38   Link #36159
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Saudi Arabia leads air strikes against Yemen's Houthi rebels
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0ML0YC20150326

Just one pilot in cockpit at time of French Alps crash: German prosecutor
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0MK2U020150326
why the captain can't override the door, I'll never know.
Old 2015-03-26, 08:43   Link #36160
sneaker

So a terrorist can't force him to open the door at gun point, I assume. They say there is an emergency-code in case the cockpit pilot becomes unconscious but he has some time to deny the entry by switching a button. And of course such a code only works if you remember it.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international