AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 21 16.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 37.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 37 29.13%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 10.24%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 3.94%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.57%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.79%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-27, 10:07   Link #81
Golden Witch Drugs
しゆあげいん。

Review time~

Spoiler for Anime EP 9 Spoilers:
Old 2009-08-27, 10:08   Link #82
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

1) so far, Meta Battler did not comment about these scenes, despite they could be a giant blow on his human theory. Furthermore, he even asked if Kanon was killed in the room, despite you could see him dead. You can conclude something.

2) it isn't about witch, but Beatrice's furniture are formed by golden butterflies. Therefore, it is natural, magic wise, that spider web affects them.
Old 2009-08-27, 10:14   Link #83
LilacLana
BernxLambda OTP. c:

I liked this episode, it was alright. But I kept laughing at Gohda's facial expressions. I did that in the game as well, so no surprise there. xD;

Also, evil Kumasawa face? Then Gohda with the same face? I shouldn't have found it so funny.

Censorship strikes back. I really want to see it without the censors now.

The preview looks so awesome! Can't wait. |D
Old 2009-08-27, 10:21   Link #84
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Um, can someone exlpain something to me? I don't get what's with Shannon and her theory about the handkerchief and the spiders? How's that supposed to prove that Kanon is fake/real?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2009-08-27, 10:25   Link #85
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Um, can someone exlpain something to me? I don't get what's with Shannon and her theory about the handkerchief and the spiders? How's that supposed to prove that Kanon is fake/real?
I'm assuming it has something to do with witches minions or witches being vulnerable to spiders...so if kanon is the REAL kanon, then he would be fine, but if he was something conjured up by a witch, then the spider would "hurt it"...sorta like kryptonite wouldn't hurt a human, but would superman
Old 2009-08-27, 10:29   Link #86
hodil
Solve me...

spider webs and butterflies dont go well together =)
Old 2009-08-27, 10:40   Link #87
BakaOnna

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
It actually should be explained next episode, but if not, magical beings are afraid of spiders. It acts like a repellent of some sort.
Old 2009-08-27, 10:42   Link #88
urusai

I seem to recall in the VN that it had a lot more to do with repelling traditional demons/spirits rather than being specifically anti-Beato?

Edit: beaten
Old 2009-08-27, 11:32   Link #89
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The Bad:

1. The lack of... well grieving reactions to Jessica having a stake in her back sort of kills the mood for the first half of the episode. Unless they've been desensitized with guts and candy, it really puts off the tension for the first 10 minutes of the episode.

2. The censors are still odd. They're too small to cover up all the gory bits, look like a bunch of large boxes than pixels, and heck aren't used on all the violent scenes. If they're going to censor stuff they should at least be consistent.

The Good:

1. The logic arguments and the metaworld transitions are handled really well. The metaworld scenes don't drag on with their verbal tussles and you can feel the antagonism between Battler and Beato when they discuss the murders and the methods used to kill, both magical and mystery.

2. I like the Red Text effects. Using Gold Butterflies as the words wrap and wave around really makes their presence and importance known without clogging up the visuals.

3. They didn't cut out a lot of important scenes, heck I was half expecting the Sheep and Wolves analogy would get cut. It was great they left it in, as a nice way to explain Rosa's actions.

4. The last scenes involving "Kanon" were almost fantastic. Nice buildup and great tension, not to mention they they decided not to take shortcuts with it and actually show Nanjo and Kumasawa getting their throats ripped open. Ends with a bit of a cliffhanger.

----------------

Giev what's to come I'm expecting good things with the next 2-3 episodes. Though as some have said they might have to compress the pace for one of the episodes, I'll just hope it's so that they'll have time to focus on the more vital scenes.
Old 2009-08-27, 12:02   Link #90
ameskitty
Kupo

More censors lol! Not surprising as this is probably the most gory Umineko game episode of all.

Spoiler for II-IV:
Old 2009-08-27, 12:11   Link #91
MarthX

An interesting theory. The key they thought was Jessica's, wasn't. They believe it to be Jessica's because of the key strap. You could easily take that off and move it to a different key. There's no proof that key was indeed Jessica's.
Old 2009-08-27, 12:39   Link #92
Umineko
Omochikaeri!

Gave it 8/10 - was quite nice an episode imo.

Poor Jessica, but it was exciting how they were searching for the culprit. The scene with pseudo- Kanon and the spider web was... confusing.

All in all, I liked it, though.
Old 2009-08-27, 13:06   Link #93
Kairi_Jenn
Female Plot Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Witch Drugs View Post

Spoiler for Anime EP 9 Spoilers:
And here I was thinking that I was the only one who noticed. xD
Old 2009-08-27, 17:37   Link #94
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

It has been quite awhile since I've seen that puzzle but I remember there being a box of cabbages too. Guess this is a different variation of that same puzzle but either way the point of these wolf and sheep puzzles is to get them all across the river without any being killed/eaten right? That last picture with the wolves and sheep on opposite ends of the river and the lone sheep crossing it on the boat towards that pack of wolves is bugging me. I feel like they're trying to hint at something here and I don't think it had anything to do with the talks of one of the servants being the sheep and others being the wolves considering what transpired afterwards nor did it feel like a reflection of what happened with that last part involving Kanon. Maybe Kanon was that sheep on the boat? nah couldn't be that but whatever the case may be, making all the wolves go first just instantly screws the sheep over from getting to the other side without being mauled to death by the awaiting wolves.

Still, a very good analogy with that puzzle for the present situation shown in this episode.

Oh and I decided to give it a 9, some more emotion by the characters with Jessica would've been nice but that's really my main complaint

Last edited by Karlson; 2009-08-28 at 03:03.
Old 2009-08-27, 19:54   Link #95
plzd0ntkeelme
self-proclaimed otaku

Great ep. It sure feels weird that Battler was the only one showing strong reaction over Jessica's death. I thought that at least Shannon should should show similar if not stronger reaction since she appears to have a close friendship with Jessica in ep 6. The lack of reaction makes the whole scene of Battler defending Gohda and Kumasawa for their 'innocent' appearance sounds like a bad joke. Oh well, can't wait for the next ep.
Old 2009-08-27, 21:17   Link #96
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
1) so far, Meta Battler did not comment about these scenes, despite they could be a giant blow on his human theory. Furthermore, he even asked if Kanon was killed in the room, despite you could see him dead. You can conclude something.

2) it isn't about witch, but Beatrice's furniture are formed by golden butterflies. Therefore, it is natural, magic wise, that spider web affects them.
Yeah considering Battler didn't at all mention the stake girls it's probably safe to say he didn't see that. Something we'll have to keep in mind is that Meta Battler isn't getting to see everything. Though it makes you wonder why since seeing such a scene would put even more pressure on him. Instead he just sees the aftermath. Of course this makes it all the harder for Meta Battler.

It's almost as if Beatrice is trying to push Battler into blaming one of the party. Having Kanon vanish puts major suspicion onto him. I don't want to imagine how things will go the next episode. You have two dead and a bunch of servants who already had suspicion placed on them.

Anyways just adding more bodies to the pile here. This time we have a fake/zombie/magically controlled corpse taking out people. What's next?

Not to mention I wonder just what Meta Battler is going to do. I mean what is he to gain by taking on Beatrice? He can't affect anything from his position. Even if he can explain how the crimes can be commited without magic it won't help those already dead.

It is interesting to watch the situation unfold with different people surviving to this point. I didn't really think about the lack of reaction to Jessica's death at first. Guess since she died last week I had time to move on to thinking about other things regarding this situation. Once they got into the room I was curious how Meta Battler would handle the situation. But yeah pretty calm reactions overall.
Old 2009-08-27, 21:19   Link #97
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plzd0ntkeelme View Post
Great ep. It sure feels weird that Battler was the only one showing strong reaction over Jessica's death. I thought that at least Shannon should should show similar if not stronger reaction since she appears to have a close friendship with Jessica in ep 6. The lack of reaction makes the whole scene of Battler defending Gohda and Kumasawa for their 'innocent' appearance sounds like a bad joke. Oh well, can't wait for the next ep.
Maybe in reality Jessica wasn't well liked by the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Not to mention I wonder just what Meta Battler is going to do. I mean what is he to gain by taking on Beatrice? He can't affect anything from his position. Even if he can explain how the crimes can be commited without magic it won't help those already dead.
But if Battler wins, everybody comes back to life from what I understand. They're going to ger murdered over and over again until someone wins. If that message in the bottle and that other comment in one of the episodes were correct, this goes on for at least 9-10 years IIRC. (It was the comment about finding bits and pieces of the bodies when the search party went to the island. Can't remember where it was at though.)

Last edited by orion; 2009-08-27 at 22:01.
Old 2009-08-27, 21:27   Link #98
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Maybe in reality Jessica wasn't well liked by the others.
Haha now that'd be something if you could hear the inner thoughts. (Well she totally had that coming ) (Should we care that she's dead) (Bwahaha the fools will never suspect me)

But I guess considering how many times people are going to die in this show they decided not to waste time with characters grieving.
Old 2009-08-27, 21:42   Link #99
IcecoldAssassin

I thought it was a great episode. i liked how they handled the scene with kanon. oh and Gohda + Genji = badass 8/10 for me.
Old 2009-08-27, 22:05   Link #100
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Haha now that'd be something if you could hear the inner thoughts. (Well she totally had that coming ) (Should we care that she's dead) (Bwahaha the fools will never suspect me)

But I guess considering how many times people are going to die in this show they decided not to waste time with characters grieving.
Or the classic...

It's all mine now that the fool is dead!

They just saw 6 people gutted and candy stuffed into their abdomens. A stake in the back is prob nothing to them now.

A knife in the back. Is this the best you can do, Beatrice? Lame!