AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-08-03, 19:29   Link #2241
kraken

Am I the only one who think the ep 5 was really bad?

Why so much fan service.

Why did they make a so ridiculous fighting scene at the end. Seriously, the character are just Highschool student.

This anime remind me the movie house of the dead (who use matrix effect for all the fight).

The anime is just a serie Z zombie movie.

And it's really an insult to a good manga.
kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 19:33   Link #2242
Darsovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post

Sniper chan FTW when she unzipped that suit i nearly fell out of my chair. At least we know what we have to do to get with her. Be a better shot than she is and a better officer. Shes one of the top 5 in the country so good luck. BTW was that 50 caliber barrett she was using?
It was an H&K PSG1 sniper rifle. Apparently one of the most accurate sniper rifles that can be bought "off the shelf" rather than custom made by a gunsmith. Fires the 7.62mm NATO round as opposed to the .50 caliber BMG cartridge. Not very common in the USA, only used by the FBI hostage rescue team apparently. And Japan isn't even listed as an official user. So I bet it's her personal weapon.

Side note though, usually the more experienced sniper is the "spotter", that's why they can relate the corrections needed for distance and wind to the actual "shooter".

Spoiler for H&K PSG1:
Darsovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 19:33   Link #2243
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

hardly a insult when they have to expand on 1 chapter per episode and still follow the story.

was it over the top? a little bit
was it ridiculous? see: zombies, also see: high school kids fighting wave after wave of zombies and none of them getting hurt or being saved at the last minute...
why so much fan service? seeing as the creator is a KNOWN hentai artist...this is a given.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 19:58   Link #2244
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post

Why so much fan service.

Why did they make a so ridiculous fighting scene at the end. Seriously, the character are just Highschool student.

This anime remind me the movie house of the dead (who use matrix effect for all the fight).

You might as well skip episode 6 then or rather, the series.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 20:46   Link #2245
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:

....And it's really an insult to a good manga.
I have my quibbles with the episode, which didn't register as strongly with me as I would have hoped. Unlike you, though, I think the problem lies in the source material. In fact, when it comes to the action sequences, I feel the anime has actually improved on the original, which has several flaws in terms of plot and character development (most of which can be overlooked in favour of, gasp, gratuitous fan service, albeit in still frames rather than in full animated glory).

This thread really isn't the place for such discussion, though. I would suggest you take your gripes to the manga thread, where they wouldn't be a spoiler for viewers who haven't read the source material.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 20:48   Link #2246
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
You might as well skip episode 6 then or rather, the series.
and miss out on potentially the best piece of anime of the year?!! BLASPHEMY

even if one is not a fan of the service, you still gotta check it out

Never noticed in the manga but Shizuka is a sly one, she cups a feel(lucky bastard)

Been a big time fan of Hirano from the start with the manga and the anime just reinforces why he is the best character of the series.....well tied with Saeko-onee-sama.

Random panty flashy ftw
Old 2010-08-03, 21:12   Link #2247
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
That's exactly what I am thinking. Do the manga give more reason on Hirano's hatred to Shido? From the anime Hirano is just like some highschool shootout massacre kid (someone mentioned that a couple pages earlier) which I cannot find reason to root for. Is Shido's only fault just ignoring the bullying? then Shido is just like most of the teachers and not particularly ultra evil. Besides, I don't get the impression that even the main casts help out Hirano when he is bullied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdarkdark View Post
I think it was because he was bullied in Shidou's classroom and he didn't do anything about it. He was just an all around giant douche.
Darkdarkdark is right at some of the students on the bus are part of the group that bullied him and Shido not only knew about it but witnessed it and never said a word and never did a thing to help him.

This is why the speech in the manga he gives is a lot better. he touches on the points of why he is angry and says "dont tell me i deserved it" this is in contrast to Shidos weak should perish or be ruled by the strong. Hirano is not weak he is actually strong for holding back so long now he does not have to.

One of the best lines after the speech was Saeko giving him a compliment by saying hes a real man. Saeko does not give out compliments just for the hell of it. The speech in the anime just made him seem like he was always blood thirsty and now he can release all that tension with no punishment Saeko would never compliment him on that. As opposed in the manga where he stood up for himself stated why and held the rear why the others got off the bus.

Like i said i dont know if the subbers took liberties but i really thought it ruined an otherwise bad ass and actually inspirational speech. Plus in the manga Shido was basically crying after that nail left him scar. In the manga Hirano says "i didnt mean to miss" he was actually trying to hit him in the head LMAO
Old 2010-08-03, 21:35   Link #2248
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
Sadly, most teachers turn a blind eye on bullying. So most teachers are giant douche that deserve to be shot? Is that why we have highschool shootout massacre and we root for the shooting kid?
No, in fact most teachers don't turn a blind eye to bullying. I don't know about you, but there are practically no real bullies in schools, at least at the 10 different schools I have been at. Real people don't act like total asses all the time like in anime and movies at all. Sure, some cases are extreme, lets say Columbine, but it is also because the kid himself has psychotic problems to start with and the bullying triggers more anger. And in actuality, school shootings only really started happening more frequently because of a direct influence of the Columbine shooting. So, no, we don't root for the shooting kid, but Hirano also does not kill Shidou either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Darkdarkdark is right at some of the students on the bus are part of the group that bullied him and Shido not only knew about it but witnessed it and never said a word and never did a thing to help him.

This is why the speech in the manga he gives is a lot better. he touches on the points of why he is angry and says "dont tell me i deserved it" this is in contrast to Shidos weak should perish or be ruled by the strong. Hirano is not weak he is actually strong for holding back so long now he does not have to.

One of the best lines after the speech was Saeko giving him a compliment by saying hes a real man. Saeko does not give out compliments just for the hell of it. The speech in the anime just made him seem like he was always blood thirsty and now he can release all that tension with no punishment Saeko would never compliment him on that. As opposed in the manga where he stood up for himself stated why and held the rear why the others got off the bus.

Like i said i dont know if the subbers took liberties but i really thought it ruined an otherwise bad ass and actually inspirational speech. Plus in the manga Shido was basically crying after that nail left him scar. In the manga Hirano says "i didnt mean to miss" he was actually trying to hit him in the head LMAO
I agree, his speech in the anime shows more about why he hated Shidou. I thought it was quite fitting to add in and show some back story
Old 2010-08-03, 21:51   Link #2249
kraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
hardly a insult when they have to expand on 1 chapter per episode and still follow the story.
This is already a really big problem for me the anime expand each chapter by adding too much silly fan service.

they could make chapter, 3,4,5 and 6 into 2 episodes.

these chapter are really small in the manga (only 30 pages)

I really bother me because the add ridiculous stuff and because they are only going to cover 13 chapters.

Quote:
was it ridiculous? see: zombies, also see: high school kids fighting wave after wave of zombies and none of them getting hurt or being saved at the last minute...
zombies are not ridiculous, they can be terrifing, and in the manga, as the character are really less powerful, they have problem with them.

in the manga, they don't really fight more than 2 times, they mainly run away and skip the fight.

there is not really action sequence in the manga, its more similar to a survival game.
this was what I wanted in the anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
why so much fan service? seeing as the creator is a KNOWN hentai artist...this is a given.
Kanon, Fate, Et and Air are based on hentai and there is not really fan service inside.

the manga and the game Valkyria Chronicles are also made by Hentai artist and one more time: no fan service.

there is no fan service in most of the chapter of the manga (there is only really in the volume 2 except in chapter 5)

Negima have 3 time more ecchi than high school of the dead.

Quote:
In fact, when it comes to the action sequences, I feel the anime has actually improved on the original
Sure, the action is really good in the anime, but, I think it's ruin the tension of the encounter.

in the manga, the heroes haven't super power and special move, they have hard times with the zombie.

When I was reading the manga, I was afraid by the zombie who are really dangerous, but in the manga, them seems so weak.

Quote:
I feel the anime has actually improved on the original, which has several flaws in terms of plot and character development
how the anime improve the character development? They suppressed the dark side of Takashi in the episode 4 and they made Saya terrified by the zombie in the drill sequence.

The manga made the characters more interesting

Quote:
most of which can be overlooked in favour of, gasp, gratuitous fan service, albeit in still frames rather than in full animated glory
gratuitous fan service is the worse thing in every anime. I love ecchi, but only the good ecchi, made by a mangaka who know when it's good time to make ecchi.

and most of the time, ecchi in better in manga that anime, many good sequence in ecchi manga are really disturbing in anime with voice and animation.

And most the time, the animator add silly ecchi and it's bad (Qwaser of Stigmata the anime is just shit, unlike the manga.Juuden-chan the manga haven't any echhi)

The manga Highschool of the dead isn't a manga that I read for the ecchi,I think the girl are all ugly (the only good looking character in the manga for me is Takashi and maybe alice who is kawai).

I prefer georgous girl drawn by Hagiwara or Buchi Terasawa.

And I don't think the manga is an ecchi manga, there is only 5 ecchi chapter in the manga.

I read the manga for the thrilling survival experience, chapter like the chapter 25, for knowing how the epidemy cames and for the political aspect of the manga.

And the anime ruin the thrilling survival experience, the anime seems to me like a parody of the manga
kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 21:54   Link #2250
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsovin View Post
It was an H&K PSG1 sniper rifle. Apparently one of the most accurate sniper rifles that can be bought "off the shelf" rather than custom made by a gunsmith. Fires the 7.62mm NATO round as opposed to the .50 caliber BMG cartridge. Not very common in the USA, only used by the FBI hostage rescue team apparently. And Japan isn't even listed as an official user. So I bet it's her personal weapon.

Side note though, usually the more experienced sniper is the "spotter", that's why they can relate the corrections needed for distance and wind to the actual "shooter".

Spoiler for H&K PSG1:
It is an expensive weapon. The manufacture cost is rather high for a sniper rifle of 7.62x51mm, thus it is not adopted as a standard issue SR in most countries.

Most military and law enforcement opt for the Accuracy International rifles, namely the L96. They are cheaper to produce and are almost as reliable.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 21:54   Link #2251
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsovin View Post

Spoiler for H&K PSG1:
I checked Japanese sources before (Wiki at one point before) and they say the SAT is armed with the PSG-1 as one of its sniper rifles (Well next to the M700 and Howa-made bolt action rifles). There are Japanese books on the SAT that would confirm it. My Japanese is not that good though, but I'm sure the SAT has that weapon.

After all...

Spoiler for May be a manga spoiler for those who didn't watch that episode yet.:

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 22:04   Link #2252
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
No, in fact most teachers don't turn a blind eye to bullying. I don't know about you, but there are practically no real bullies in schools, at least at the 10 different schools I have been at. Real people don't act like total asses all the time like in anime and movies at all. Sure, some cases are extreme, lets say Columbine, but it is also because the kid himself has psychotic problems to start with and the bullying triggers more anger. And in actuality, school shootings only really started happening more frequently because of a direct influence of the Columbine shooting. So, no, we don't root for the shooting kid, but Hirano also does not kill Shidou either.
Two words...Phoebe Prince

Then there's cyberbullying and another US incident, Megan Meier.

Last edited by orion; 2010-08-03 at 22:15.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 22:41   Link #2253
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

@kraken

a few things...

- The creator pretty much said there was going to be a lot of fan service, and fans didn't object.

- The series had it's publishing debut back in September of 2006, so we've basically had 26 chapters in the span of FOUR YEARS and Chapter 27 reportedly won't be out till this October. Individual chapters are almost long enough to provide 19 minutes of animation, but because they're not quite long enough, there are bits of filler.

IIRC, the author just came back from a 2 year hiatus. I'm reminded of Berserk and I think Hunter x Hunter in this regard...
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 22:46   Link #2254
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
tl;dr (Not to mention, a shitload of inconsiderate spoilers, carelessly dropped. Once again, I strongly suggest that you take your comparative complaints to the relevant thread, for the sake of anime-only fans.)
This kind of critique gets old very quickly. Every anime adaptation of a manga series inevitably draws out such comparisons, and they always end up going nowhere.

Look, we all read print/drawn material differently. That is the nature of reading — the words and pictures help set up a concept, and our imaginations fill in the rest of the details. Meaning to say, we are all watch a different "movie" in our heads when we visualise events in a manga or a book. We each create a unique interpretation, one that is based entirely on our own subjective viewpoints.

There is no way for me to effectively evaluate the substance of your comparative "analysis" because, to do so, I must first think like you do about the manga. And I don't. Unlike you, I don't find the manga all that remarkable, and I find it amusing that you consider it tense and gripping, because I find it cartoonish, that's all. A fun read, most certainly, but hardly a manga "classic" as you make it out to be.

If fans are unable to separate an anime from its manga source, and vice versa, when they seek to evaluate either product, then I highly suggest that they don't view or read one or the other. Critique the anime on the strength of its animated content and don't compare it against its manga intepretation. It will evidently save you from a lot of grief.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 23:08   Link #2255
Ekureiru
神さま、ありがとう!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Ekureiru Send a message via MSN to Ekureiru
This is quite possibly the most brilliant thread I've ever read for a series.

Ekureiru - An entity commonly recognized by many as being on par with gods.
Last.fm | MyAnimeList | Pettanko Fansubs | Now with a degree in Yanderekology.
Ekureiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-04, 00:00   Link #2256
PzIVf3

I'll bet that sniper girl house have armory weapons and ammunition inside there.

Last edited by PzIVf3; 2010-08-04 at 00:52. Reason: Forgot the Model pic
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-04, 02:11   Link #2257
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

Because the series NEVER had the pretense to be a SRSBSNS social commentary. Yeah, the mangaka exposed his political stances later on, but never he turned his manga into an anviltastic diatribe about how the world would be better with those guys and without the other (which Romero have a tendency to do, even more true in Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead). And he focused back on Takashi's group, Gun x Tits x Ass.

Quote:
You have got to explain us about how "good" it is. If you say, "social commentary" or "study of human behavior", I gonna laugh, because it is really nothing to write home about. I always viewed HotD as "If generic ecchi harem animu setup meets zombie apocalypse meets gun porn with the codes of japanese drama" BUT it is GOOD at this. Also, Takashi's group is really no ordinary, not superheroes, but definitely misfits (excepted for Boing-sensei and later on that loli you see in the OP). Let me repeat again, if you wanted something more down-to-earth, more realistic with more ordinary people, The Walking Dead is what you should have read, and should watch.

tl;dr

* Highschool of the Dead

- Core cast of misfits
- Japanese drama tropes
- Rule of Cool
- Rule of Sexy

* The Walking Dead

- More "real"
- Ordinary people are ordinary
- We get to see how the apocalypse are slowly breaking them, physically and mentally.
- Fanservice free or way less noticeable if you count the occasional sex scenes (but nothing too graphic).
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-04, 02:36   Link #2258
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:

I agree, his speech in the anime shows more about why he hated Shidou. I thought it was quite fitting to add in and show some back story
I wish I had attended your schools. I was pushed into fights every single year, from middle school, all through high school. The Teachers didn't GAF who started it, you were to be punished just as much as the bully himself. Best way to deal with bullies I found out, was to kick their asses. Once you beat them down, they would leave you alone. The more you acted like a pussy and took their abuse, the more they'd dish it out to you. I could never in my life, recommend the victim of bullies not defend themselves. My first piece of advice would be to take up a martial art or fight style, and use it to defend yourself.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-04, 02:45   Link #2259
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I wish I had attended your schools. I was pushed into fights every single year, from middle school, all through high school. The Teachers didn't GAF who started it, you were to be punished just as much as the bully himself. Best way to deal with bullies I found out, was to kick their asses. Once you beat them down, they would leave you alone. The more you acted like a pussy and took their abuse, the more they'd dish it out to you. I could never in my life, recommend the victim of bullies not defend themselves. My first piece of advice would be to take up a martial art or fight style, and use it to defend yourself.
i was noted to be a delinquent killer in my previous years. yes i admit i look simple, but when it comes to being up close and personal, i show nothing, not even mercy when i fight. dont just beat them up, but make them feel the pain of what they did, such as spraining their wrists and ankles. let's see if they cant get up on that.

still kouta was patient... but patience also has its limits
Old 2010-08-04, 03:10   Link #2260
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
MINE! STAY AWAY FROM MY KITTY!

@TRL : I think you got a new article for this week's headlines that is bound to stir up a storm.

Koreans Rage at “Racist” Highschool of the Dead
Winter Sonata of the Dead? LOL
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, boobs, ecchi, harem, horror, romance, seinen, shounen, zombie apocalypse