AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-01-06, 12:19   Link #1
kokokiki

ptdd messed with my hdd can I reopen it on gparted?

hello everyone

I have a sony vaio with windows 7 home premium set on it

I downloaded ptdd (partition table doctor d?)
and it modified things in the boot sector or partition table so then after I restarted it , it gave me error 0xc0000225 , it said due to hardware or software change there was an error and I should enter my recovery cd (which I didn't have)
after downloading a bunch of stuff from the internet and finally the recovery cd it was too late system not found

the I booted with gparted and ran test disk and it showed me some files and program files that had ptdd , there was an Icon saying undo changes it has a (uc) extension , I can't open it on parted magic , but parted magic is the only one that even shows me the drives please help I don't want to overwrite files it's not my computer it's my father's and it has lots of work files on it , I just borrowed it to fix my pc which had a booting problem ,please help ..
kokokiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 12:49   Link #2
sa547
*Author

Hard disk tools such as PTDD are supposed to be run from a repair CD, not on your (or in this case, your dad's) hard drive. Did you ran this program on your dad's laptop without knowing that it could directly affect the drive?

You have no choice except to reinstall the operating system, but that doesn't mean it'll erase anything on the hard drive, only it'll attempt to restore your Windows installation. Otherwise you may have to let a professional computer technician recover the partition data from your dad's hard drive, then reformat it, and restore those files after installing Windows and everything.
Old 2012-01-06, 12:59   Link #3
kokokiki

well I ran it to create the boot disk but then before I closed the prog. it promoted me to make some changes and I pressed ok thinking it was just some optimization

when I try to install windows it says to format c
Old 2012-01-06, 21:09   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Windows 7 shouldn't reformat if there's an existing installation... is this the Emergency Recovery Disks you're using? They often (stupidly) want to reformat... Get hold of a *real* regular Win7 OS disk if the Sony didn't provide one.

You might try the Repair option (hit F8 right after boot if I recall) ... otherwise it may be a trip to a repair center that can do data and profile recovery before re-installing.

Another option is a Linux flash drive booter ... that way you might be able to back the profile and data up to the flash drive or to an external drive.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-01-07 at 14:33.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 11:22   Link #5
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Another option is a Linux flash drive booter ... that way you might be able to back the profile and data up to the flash drive or to an external drive.
I suggest this,
if you do not have the official CD but do have your official windows 7 serials then I would just burn an installation CD to use. You can just use your official serials to do the installation.

The reinstall doesn't wipe out patricians made on the hdd it does however clear out your windows meaning you need to reinstall the software of course, it clears out the my documents stuff.

Next time don't play around with programs like this on another person's laptop, specially if you don't know how it works
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 13:33   Link #6
kokokiki

thank you everyone for your help , the partition table and boot sector were messed up so I used test disk from parted magic and agreed to all the changes it made , then I rebooted and it gave me the you need to put recovery message again , and this time I put it and everything went back to normal thank god , thanks for all your help , and I agree next time I won't even consider borrowing other people's computers it's so stressful .
Old 2012-01-08, 16:23   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

(cheers for the escape from death)
Old 2012-01-08, 21:45   Link #8
sa547
*Author

Lesson learned. Glad you got that lappy recovered. Now, what's the status on your PC? Still working on it?