AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-08-08, 13:26   Link #41
Elepsis
Lives under a bridge

I liked Genbu's sub better, myself... :P

Though no one really commented on our quality.
Elepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 13:56   Link #42
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

No idea who Genbu is but...

Anyway, once I escape the sandpit (I'm deployed for a bit more) I'll be working into the 40's and 50's of Touch. And for you LOGH fans, fear not, it'll come hot and heavy as well.

Yes, I am the timer, editor and leader of Central Anime.

Last edited by Heibi; 2004-08-08 at 14:41.
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 16:23   Link #43
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi
No idea who Genbu is but...

Anyway, once I escape the sandpit (I'm deployed for a bit more) I'll be working into the 40's and 50's of Touch. And for you LOGH fans, fear not, it'll come hot and heavy as well.

w00t. You guys fscking rock.

Any chance of getting posts of your Macross 7? AiA's all but officially dropped it (the person doing most of the work lost her soul to FFXI), and ASS's version is...well...ass.

Good luck getting out of the middle east and back to Hawaii/Wichita/Wherever they put you next!
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 16:56   Link #44
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
w00t. You guys fscking rock.

Any chance of getting posts of your Macross 7? AiA's all but officially dropped it (the person doing most of the work lost her soul to FFXI), and ASS's version is...well...ass.

Good luck getting out of the middle east and back to Hawaii/Wichita/Wherever they put you next!

I'll think about that. Interim uploads of Mac7 might take the place of LOGH and Touch while we work on them. Though we have all of LOGH translated now, just not timed and such.

Back to Wichita. I'll be a timing animal when I return.
Old 2004-08-09, 17:02   Link #45
d-hogan
CA's Master Encoder

Reply to brightness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfang
They definitely have the best sub out. The only thing I have a gripe about is the lack of a consistancy of brightness in the encoding :/

The inconsistent brightness is due to each of the first 6 LD's having wildly different settings of brightness, contrast and saturation. It takes me approxamatly two hours per disk to tune it. After the sixth it seems to be stabilizing. Any tips to shorten the time would be appreciated , as it looks like I've got two other LD series (Macross 7 and Legend of the Galatic Heroes) to start soon.
d-hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-09, 20:36   Link #46
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-hogan
Any tips to shorten the time would be appreciated , as it looks like I've got two other LD series (Macross 7 and Legend of the Galatic Heroes) to start soon.
You have my deepest sympathy for having to retweak the colours on Luminance Of Grotesque Horror. I've got a built in TBC on my LD player, and box one *still* has washout up the wazoo. Then box two gets darker...boxes 3-6 are all fine, though, as the transfer improved with the animation and the rest of the show's budget. My best suggestion to you would be to do the colour tweaking BEFORE the LD source goes through the Genlock, via some sort of TBC/Corrections board. It'll set you back a fair deal of cash, but you can make corrections in realtime, and really will look best. This will also keep the subtitles from being darkened while doing other corrections (I've had some trouble reading the subs in Touch from a distance at times because of how dark they've gotten...perhaps up the font size and shrink the shadow/border by one or two points?).

As far as the Mac7 LDs, I've only got #10 and #11, but they both look pretty damn good as-is, so they shouldn't need much cleaning up (if any).

Finally, thanks for sticking to the LD version of LoGH. The artistic retcon for the DVDs looks nasty.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-09, 22:32   Link #47
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elepsis

I like Genbu's better too. Central Anime never liked honorifics and I like honorifics.
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-09, 22:34   Link #48
kuru

Quote:
The same old leader (TP) or a brand new leader for the digital generation ?
Old 2004-08-10, 00:30   Link #49
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:

Your quality is quite good. However, my personal preference is for Central Anime. I personally think that Central Anime's translation was more in context in comparison with Genbu's which was a more straight-forward translation.

Sorry for the late response. I had to re-download some of the Genbu-subbed Touch episodes to do a comparison and there are very few seeds available.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 02:40   Link #50
KrooleMannen

Quote:

Yeah Genbus quality was quite high but I prefer the Central Anime one based on one thing
: The sound doesnŽt screw up.

IŽve tried different codecs setups on two different PCs and I still got a delay in the audio, that increased gradually during the eps I havenŽt heard of anyone else that has had this proplem but it sure was annoying to me. Still watched all of the eps though because they are so damn good

IŽd like to thank the Genbu staff for introducing Touch to me and thus introduced the wonderful manga author Mitsuri Adachi. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by KrooleMannen; 2004-08-10 at 10:03.
KrooleMannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 06:51   Link #51
altimeuler

One episode a day is really great.

But I have a (stupid) question.

Do you think you'll be able to maintain a good frequency for the release of all the 101 episodes?
altimeuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 10:57   Link #52
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru
I like Genbu's better too. Central Anime never liked honorifics and I like honorifics.
As my Japanese native speaker/translator always said, they aren't needed. Better to use them sparingly when they have an effect like when Kasuga Kyosuke says Ayukawa-kun in a later ep of KOR. We do put them in for strange things like in a shortening of a name like if they called Ryosuke in Initial D Ryo-chan, we'd use them. But to each his own.
Old 2004-08-10, 11:17   Link #53
Elepsis
Lives under a bridge

You know, we haven't gotten any complaints about the sound. You should've dropped by our channel and told us, so we could look into fixing it.

Anyway, since Central Anime is doing a rather good job with it, we're seriously thinking about dropping the project and moving on to something else... Kind of a shame, considering we had finally found a translator who'd agreed to get us through at least episode 26...
Elepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 11:44   Link #54
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
You know, we haven't gotten any complaints about the sound. You should've dropped by our channel and told us, so we could look into fixing it.

Anyway, since Central Anime is doing a rather good job with it, we're seriously thinking about dropping the project and moving on to something else... Kind of a shame, considering we had finally found a translator who'd agreed to get us through at least episode 26...
Just so you know, up to 36 will be uploaded one per day almost (as long as Mr Hogan can keep up his encoding pace). My current scripts I have to work with go up to 50 I believe. And Toshiaki is working on more as we speak. He was our LOGH translator for the eps of 63 up I believe as well as the OVA pre-series which we'll upload as well once the 110 eps are all done.
Old 2004-08-10, 14:28   Link #55
d-hogan
CA's Master Encoder

Quote:
Just so you know, up to 36 will be uploaded one per day almost (as long as Mr Hogan can keep up his encoding pace). My current scripts I have to work with go up to 50 I believe. And Toshiaki is working on more as we speak. He was our LOGH translator for the eps of 63 up I believe as well as the OVA pre-series which we'll upload as well once the 110 eps are all done.

The first 36 are already done, we're just pacing release as I figure out Digisubbing for 37+, Mr Perkins.
d-hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 16:44   Link #56
Mason Proulx
Getting too old for this

Thanks

I feel I should add my thanks as well. I'm a huge sucker for classic anime based off of Shounen Sunday manga. I've long been familiar with the Touch manga. been wanting to see the animated series for as long as I can remember. So I'm grateful to finally be able to see this series. And it such quick succession too. I'm certainly not tired by its quick release schedule. It gives me something new to look forward to each day.

Batches or no batches, I don't care either way. Just keep them around 3 to 5 episodes if you do eventually batch them. Especially when each episode is about 200Mb, having 10 per batch is too much. Currently I'm also trying to get H2 anime off of bittorrent (I think by ILA), but the batch is insanely huge with 24 episodes it makes for a 5.5 Gigabyte file. I've got a fairly fast connection, yet I've been at it all week. I'm afraid to see how it'll slow down once I get near 98%.
Mason Proulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 17:12   Link #57
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-hogan
The first 36 are already done, we're just pacing release as I figure out Digisubbing for 37+, Mr Perkins.
Thanks for confirming that the old leader is still the leader
Old 2004-08-10, 17:25   Link #58
kuru

Quote:

Well, if you decide to continue, I'll be sure to get your version too.

But if you give up, maybe you could do another great anime based on Mitsuru Adachi manga, namely Hiatari Ryouko.

The manga has been fully fan-translated if you want to check the story and you can also get the first 4 episodes of the anime if you're willing to get it on tape. It has been done by Random Masters and you can get the tape from them (www.randommasters.com) or from Mokkori Ippai (www.mokkoriippai.com).

I wouldn't call it the better way to check an anime, but you can even try do check the scripts for the first 4 episodes as Random Masters has them publicly available here

For the manga, please check MangaDownloads' site or go directly to their channel #grandline at irc.irchighway.net.
Old 2004-08-11, 13:34   Link #59
KrooleMannen

Quote:
I could have but I found it useless. I mean, I looked around (asked around) and it didnŽt seem like none had that problem so I uninstalled every codec and updated everything but the audio still was lagging behind or, most of the time, speeding
. The odd thing was that it was only certain Touch eps that behaved that way. If I remember correct the last one was behaving nice.

Guess it was just tough luck for me. Still IŽm very greatful for introducing me to this show and if you do move on to a new show (or keeping up with Touch) IŽll be sure to check out the files.
Who knows, maybe my dumbass comp. (and I) will have better luck with those
KrooleMannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 10:48   Link #60
satsuke
Central Anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrooleMannen
I could have but I found it useless. I mean, I looked around (asked around) and it didnŽt seem like none had that problem so I uninstalled every codec and updated everything but the audio still was lagging behind or, most of the time, speeding
. The odd thing was that it was only certain Touch eps that behaved that way. If I remember correct the last one was behaving nice.

Guess it was just tough luck for me. Still IŽm very greatful for introducing me to this show and if you do move on to a new show (or keeping up with Touch) IŽll be sure to check out the files.
Who knows, maybe my dumbass comp. (and I) will have better luck with those
I know this is referring to genbu's releases, but the "secret" of our audio is pretty much that it is as simple as they come ,. LAME MP3 128CBR. That and fairly straitforward lossless capture / preproduction from analog source.

Since 90% of the releases currently being worked on <by all groups> are being done in the .avi container format, it always gets a little weird when people try and do variable data rate MP3 or other audio formats, given that AVI is most comfortable when the audio and video are in frame by frame lock step.
satsuke is offline   Reply With Quote