AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 38 20.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 61 33.70%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 41 22.65%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 12.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 4.97%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 3.87%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.55%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.55%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-16, 16:52   Link #101
SSJiffy
AWWWSOME

Really loved the pacing and BGM in this ep. The ending scene felt rushed but honestly I prefer it to merely a scene of the envelope under the door. Another 10 for Umineko.
Old 2009-07-16, 17:42   Link #102
gigaloki
The Silent Ninja Perv

Send a message via Yahoo to gigaloki
maria is freakin scary O.o i though im gonna throw up in the sight of her with that face T_T

YURINESS

NeverGiveUpPH
Old 2009-07-16, 18:31   Link #103
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

I finally feel like the anime is on the right track; I didn't feel anything major was out of place. I liked the theories that the characters kept making, and the evil Maria was great (scare-wise).
Old 2009-07-16, 18:34   Link #104
Shibataea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chii Kei View Post
Spoiler for just being careful:
Spoiler for also being careful?:
Old 2009-07-16, 18:45   Link #105
unconfirmed

RAGE!!!one11 Where's my world end???

Other than that, I really don't have many other complaints. But still....that's a reoccurring piece that they'd have to put in eventually, I thought it'd be perfect at the beginning of this episode. Now that I think about it, hope (ver 1.0) would've been another good one to play for the earlier episodes, but now it's too late.
Old 2009-07-16, 18:48   Link #106
sento

Quote:
Originally Posted by unconfirmed View Post
RAGE!!!one11 Where's my world end???

Other than that, I really don't have many other complaints. But still....that's a reoccurring piece that they'd have to put in eventually, I thought it'd be perfect at the beginning of this episode. Now that I think about it, hope (ver 1.0) would've been another good one to play for the earlier episodes, but now it's too late.
Well, worldend is in the I-IV preview. So it's likely that they will end using that track.
Old 2009-07-16, 19:20   Link #107
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Yeah yeah, but that was easy, they were the only couple left alive. Now if you get who will be the very next victim, that would be pretty outstanding :3
Battle? No, make it Maria or Kanon.... If they are next, it will surely stun me (or in another words they won't likely to die next)....

Actually, if i have to guess, i would say Kinzo, based on the epitaph.....
Old 2009-07-16, 19:40   Link #108
Vicious108

That was definitely the best episode so far.

I gotta say though, everyone in that family is way too passive. Eva's and especially Maria's behaviours and way of talking are ridiculously suspicious and villainous, yet they do nothing about it and act like it's normal. What the hell?

Speaking of Eva, her voice is both hot and awesome. Gotta love that VA, who was already great in Higurashi.

And Battler is cooler than I first gave him credit for. Thought he just an idiot obsessed with breasts, but it seems he actually has some wits. Well he is the main character so it's only natural I guess.
Old 2009-07-16, 19:44   Link #109
pretty cure 23
*Scanlator

???? is so short that it could be a 2 minutes after the ED of the the tea party episode.
Old 2009-07-16, 20:35   Link #110
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
That was definitely the best episode so far.

I gotta say though, everyone in that family is way too passive. Eva's and especially Maria's behaviours and way of talking are ridiculously suspicious and villainous, yet they do nothing about it and act like it's normal. What the hell?

Speaking of Eva, her voice is both hot and awesome. Gotta love that VA, who was already great in Higurashi.

And Battler is cooler than I first gave him credit for. Thought he just an idiot obsessed with breasts, but it seems he actually has some wits. Well he is the main character so it's only natural I guess.
This is what really annoys me about Maria...Not her herself, but everyones reactions to her. Shes off making psycho faces and talking oddly with everyone just sitting their nodding their heads going "Oh thats nice".

Other then that particular bit of headache inducing non-sense I enjoyed this episode a great deal more then the previous ones. Pacing still feels abit fast and some moments have the subtly of a sledgehammer, but it's atleast starting to feel more interesting.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2009-07-16, 20:38   Link #111
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Quite satisfied with the episode. Few points that irked, but overall I can say it was probably the best episode so far (tension wise, but not for shock value). The battle between logic and supernatural has been established, and the family members are starting to distrust each other rather than work together. Already can't wait for the next episode.

Obvious gripes include Mariashi's continous use of her constipation faces, and the lack of emotions that certain characters seem to have during scenes that demand them. Nothing you haven't heard of before.

Full impression on the episode here.
Old 2009-07-16, 20:40   Link #112
Lio
Presence

Quote:
Oh god yes, the mature seductress. Just like Miyo. <3
Old 2009-07-16, 21:44   Link #113
Mercurius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
I wonder if this director has heard of the word subtlety, this concept seems to be totally missing from the series.
Not just subtlety, but also intensity as well. Everything just seems so opposite to the intent of the scenes.

Spoiler for Ep. 2:
This is probably also due to the fact that the novels were the epitome of subtle, never actually showing anything but just describing (to somewhat excruciating detail), with much eerie-er music playing.

Basically, after three anime episodes, I've come to accept that I am just not going to be able to enjoy the anime version no matter how well it is done (although to be fair, I don't feel there has been a single excellent episode yet). VN players are too spoiled and attuned to comparing with the source to be able to focus on the anime as it tries to present the mystery.

However, I am finding the anime to be a rather convenient way to review the events from the game (with the side effect of all the missing parts being etched into my brain).

Spoiler for Ep.3 Notes (Not all of them serious):
Old 2009-07-16, 21:51   Link #114
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

Quote:

I gotta say though, everyone in that family is way too passive. Eva's and especially Maria's behaviours and way of talking are ridiculously suspicious and villainous, yet they do nothing about it and act like it's normal.
To be fair, in Eva's case, everyone's used to her being a bitch . (*badum dum psh*)

.....Perhaps now would be a good time to point out that I hate Eva with a firey burning passion to the point where her death scene made me cheer >_> . .
Old 2009-07-16, 21:52   Link #115
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelysan View Post
To be fair, in Eva's case, everyone's used to her being a bitch . (*badum dum psh*)

.....Perhaps now would be a good time to point out that I hate Eva with a firey burning passion to the point where her death scene made me cheer >_> . .
Great minds think alike.
Old 2009-07-16, 23:25   Link #116
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

I'm noticing a trend here...

Like the previous episode, they tried to squeeze in a cliffhanger ending to this episode. It works for me yes but the shift to faster pacing there was definitely noticable. Everything before that part tho was fabulous. Loved every minute of it. Didn't really answer much of any questions so it's quite nicely keeping me in the dark as to what's going on, and they're throwing even more things into the mix for me to think about too.
Old 2009-07-16, 23:53   Link #117
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Quote:

Quote:

Lol. Yeah, Maria's behavior stood out more for me than did Eva's. I was expecting someone, anyone, to come in and bitch slap Maria. A spoiled brat is a spoiled brat, and needs to be disciplined accordingly, especially with such an issue. It seems everyone's too preoccupied with the "oh she's possessed" explanation.

Also, Battler had a couple of awkward moments where he was like, OH YEAH, I'm going to think by turning the chess board over. Well, sure you are, but you really haven't found much of anything substantial. Keep thinking buddy, but before that, don't go on and spend more time about how you're going to think than what you are thinking about, especially when it's a bunch of obscure notes. At least let your hot mom's words of wisdom be... well... words of wisdom.

He did, however, had quite an awesome scene at the end refuting Eva's conclusion. The way that he slammed his hands on the table just screamed the word "OBJECTION!"

BTW, I don't suppose there's conclusive evidence to link the first set of murders to the second set? The manner to they are killed seemed quite different.
Old 2009-07-17, 00:26   Link #118
Lio
Presence

Quote:

Aww, I quite like her character. Yeah she's a bitch to people she hates but she has a soft, more sensitive side. Maybe she doesn't like being a bitch and that's why she chose to settle down with a soft-hearted calm man.
Old 2009-07-17, 01:11   Link #119
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

Whew, I thought I was the only one who found Eva's voice incredibly hot and sexy. Especially in this episode, since we got to hear her when she wasn't yelling or bitching somebody out. She's not the most... sympathetic... character out there, but I really, really liked her in this episode. Her dialogue with Battler was one of the high points of the episode, and her moment with what's-his-name was touching even though (especially because?) you knew they were both about to bite the dust.

And she got the most stylish death so far in the series: Sprawled on the bed, impaled through the forehead. Come on. It doesn't get better than that.

Overall, really awesome episode. I LOVED the theories that the characters kept throwing out. Really awesome mystery stuff. Battler did some great sleuthing, or at least some great blind conjecture. I don't know if it's just me, but Battler seriously reminds me of Phoenix Wright or Apollo Justice. He could be the next Ace Attorney. When he pointed at Maria and the servant-tachi, my internal soundtrack added "Objection!"

Edit: WOW, I'm exceptionally unobservant tonight. ONE POST UP.

Quote:
He did, however, had quite an awesome scene at the end refuting Eva's conclusion. The way that he slammed his hands on the table just screamed the word "OBJECTION!"
I KNOW, RIGHT? I'm sorry I didn't read your post sooner. I kind of skimmed the thread and went to town.

Speaking of the servants... Um, I feel uncomfortable calling them that. Speaking of the staff, it was very cool to see their separate camp emerge in this episode. The scene with Battler was very interesting, and got super cool when evil Maria showed up and made Battler trip balls.

Maria was even more awesome than last week. But it's hilarious that no one bats an eyelash when she goes batshit crazy. I'd have locked that kid in a bathroom or something by now.

Oh, and Jessica has DEM LEGS. She is killing it with the skirt and knee socks.

There were a couple points in the episode that didn't play quite right with me, mainly Hideyoshi's interaction with George at the beginning. Does this dude have no tact whatsoever? "So son, how did your fiancee look the last time you saw her? Was her face a blankly-staring, horribly twisted, blood-spattered death mask? No? Oh, good." Geez, just tell him not to come in... it worked for the other two kids.

Natsuhi running around with the sawed-off was pretty unexpected. I'm surprised that the characters just kind of lounged around while she was a trigger pull away from splattering Eva -- someone she CLEARLY hates -- all over the leather. And Battler, who switches each scene between scared teenager and pillar of cool, breaks the tension with "Ehe he he he. Dame da naaaa~" Yeah, right.

I'm hoping they're going to get those little moments of unbelievability ironed out. They've been less prevalent each episode, which is a good thing.

Looking forward to next week.

Last edited by Ikonomi; 2009-07-17 at 01:15. Reason: I'm dumb...
Old 2009-07-17, 01:45   Link #120
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Nighteyes and the BGM for the letter scene people were complaining about sound a lot like the theme song from the PBS series "Mystery". I get the feeling those would sound great when you are reading the VN, but would be rather out of place in the anime...at least at those two instances. Not sure what Nighteyes will be saved for, but the other one I'd want saved until the fifth episode...for effect.

As for Maria. Yes she seems crazy, and yes no one seems to really care in the family...but they did ask her to tell them about the seals. Also she's nine years old and family. This might be something they just accept simply because of her age and that they know her. Also her mother isn't there to be the "best mother ever" anymore, so I suppose they might feel guilty to have to take care of her.