AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-04, 22:09   Link #1
kaox0018

Manga recommendations? (i like berserk and kenshin)

i'm pretty oblivious to whats out there in the manga world. anyone have recommendations for me to look into?

pretty much, i'm a fan of both rurouni kenshin and berserk, having seen both the manga and anime.

i especially like the seriousness of both series and the examination of life, morals, and answers.

i also especially love the sense of being extremely pissed off and trying to make sense out of it all.

recently, i was at a manga store and was looking thru all the covers of mangas and found "peacekeeper." it looks like an interesting read. anyone seen it? a pissed off character is a plus.

as for what i am not a fan of, i especially am not a fan of anime/manga that try to capitalize off of oversized bouncing boobs. i'm looking for somewhat-realistic art, a deep storyline, and developed characters.

thanks!
Old 2004-02-05, 12:35   Link #2
cercia_highelf
Virtue

Talking Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaox0018
i'm pretty oblivious to whats out there in the manga world. anyone have recommendations for me to look into?

pretty much, i'm a fan of both rurouni kenshin and berserk, having seen both the manga and anime.

i especially like the seriousness of both series and the examination of life, morals, and answers.

i also especially love the sense of being extremely pissed off and trying to make sense out of it all.

recently, i was at a manga store and was looking thru all the covers of mangas and found "peacekeeper." it looks like an interesting read. anyone seen it? a pissed off character is a plus.

as for what i am not a fan of, i especially am not a fan of anime/manga that try to capitalize off of oversized bouncing boobs. i'm looking for somewhat-realistic art, a deep storyline, and developed characters.

thanks!
Hello!

I think you should check out the titles of Studio Gonzo - Blue sub 6, Last Exile, Read Or Die and Peacemaker Kurogane. They're mature anime, also Miyazaki material like Grave of the Fireflies is quite serious!

I like samurai so the best bet here is either Kurogane or Kenshin. However, I think Inuyasha is great too...if you like it darker, I'd say 3x3 Eyes.

Anyway, that's all I can think of 4 now. G'luck!

AUTUMN
Old 2004-02-05, 12:48   Link #3
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
cercia_highelf he is talking about manga here

Hmmm, Perhaps you should look into Narutaru (Shadow star in the US) or Alien Nine.
There is another manga created by the same author who did Alien Nine (Hitoshi Tomizawa) which is as twisted as A.N. but I forgot the title

Alien Nine Objectionable material

Language: None
Violence: Physically, there's some sci-fi violence involving the aliens, but there's quite a bit of intense and brutal emotional violence
Nudity: Some innocent-seeming bathing-style nudity, and one pretty funny visual joke that you'll know when you see.
Sex: None

Also check here
Looked like you were interested in this. :P
Old 2004-02-05, 12:53   Link #4
TechnoMage
Shoujo-Anime Member

Quote:
I would suggest the manga 20th Century Boys. Currently unlicensed in North America, and has been scanlated till the last Japanese released tank. It WILL screw with your mind , and will most likely keep you wanting to read more.
Old 2004-02-05, 23:39   Link #5
megacoolspot

If you like Berserk and Kenshin type of manga. I really think you'll like
Fist of the Blue Sky . It is a sort of a continue series of Fist of the North Star (a was a great hit in the manga world I think back in the 80s).

The overall tone of this manga is pretty serious. not much funny stuff. But the story is what keep this a page turner. I think Gutsoon! has license in the U.S. for FoBS. so you may wanna check it out.

be warn, the graphic here is really violent (prolly equivalent or more than berserk).
Old 2004-02-06, 02:02   Link #6
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Read

NOW

by park sung woo.

It's got fighting, comedy, and drama. It's good stuff. Considering how much I enjoyed reading Kenshin, and I'm enjoying following Berserk, you might have a similar taste with me.

Oh ya, the sig/avatar was made from artwork from the series so you can get a bit of a glimpse at the characters.
Old 2004-02-06, 02:57   Link #7
Deralti

Send a message via AIM to Deralti
Quote:
Originally Posted by cercia_highelf
Hello!

I think you should check out the titles of Studio Gonzo -Blue sub 6, Last Exile, Read Or Die and Peacemaker Kurogane. They're mature anime, also Miyazaki material like Grave of the Fireflies is quite serious!

I like samurai so the best bet here is either Kurogane or Kenshin. However, I think Inuyasha is great too...if you like it darker, I'd say 3x3 Eyes.

Anyway, that's all I can think of 4 now. G'luck!

AUTUMN
Quote:
cercia_highelf he is talking about manga here
I'm not sure about all of them, but Blue sub 06 was a manga. I think RoD was too, but then again, I never tried either ^^.

As for my reccomendations,

1. River's Edge: A One-of-a-kind manga of a (severely modified) true story in the US.

2. NOISE!/BLAME!: Best, art, ever. The story either makes sense or doesn't, it all depends on the person reading it .

One to avoid:
Blue Heaven. It's just....bad.

I don't see how having a "pissed off" character helps with enjoying a manga. Most "pissed off" characters tend to ruin things IMO. Oh well, to each his own.
Old 2004-02-06, 05:50   Link #8
Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaox0018

i especially am not a fan of anime/manga that try to capitalize off of oversized bouncing boobs. i'm looking for somewhat-realistic art, a deep storyline, and developed characters.
In that case, you will be totally ecstatic with Lone Wolf & Cub. It is available from Dark Horse. (I have all 28 complete volumes.) Wonderful, wonderful manga set in feudal Japan, about the Shogun's executioner, Ogami Itto, being caught in a web of political intrigue. Unjustly accused of treachery, his entire family and clan are killed. Only his son - just a toddler - survives. Ogami vows to get to the bottom of the matter and leaves to lead a wanderer's life: he becomes an assassin for hire. But he still believes in the Bushido code and his one burning wish is to clear his name.

There is a lot of violence, nudity and sex scenes but these are not fanservice nor gratuitous. Lone Wolf & Cub is a realistic manga: nothing about it is cute. However, it has an engrossing story and absolutely wonderful characters. Once you meet Ogami Itto, you will never forget him. Highly recommended!
Old 2006-01-30, 10:29   Link #9
dita543

Where Can I Find A Vandread Manga Scan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does Anyone Knows Any Site
Old 2006-02-02, 15:46   Link #10
wrook

About Lone Wolf & Cub, does anyone know if the Japanese has furigana? I'd really like to read this in Japanese, but can't quite handle the kanji yet...
Closed Thread