AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-04-12, 11:02   Link #381
sophismata
いいえ

This thread is progressing faster than I'm reading it... the page count keeps going up on me. At first I thought it was a trick, some deception, but no...

In the last few hours there have been a lot of posts...

So, what did I want to say? Well, I just wanted to express my adoration for this anime. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu looks like it may indeed become my favourite anime of all time; a position currently held by Now and Then, Here and There.

I've enjoyed it enough, and Kyon especially, to use him as an avatar. So, my own personal rant...

Firstly, the way Suzumiya responds to Kyon's tsukkomis is nuts. It threw me off, until I saw it mentioned here that it does happen, so it explains a lot. With that, kudos to a.f.k. for their excellent work translating, and even italiscising the inner monologues of Kyon.

Secondly, it's great to see a strong male lead, one without your typical, cliché nosebleed/pervert scenes. I love the way they've avoided the super-deformed method of character expression, and have animated the characters fluidly and expressively.

Thirdly, the story itself is great. Layered, and fairly deep while at the same time having a basic premise that's easily approachable.

Fourthly, KyoAni's decision to open with Suzumiya's film is excellent. As is the website... fantastic effort, all around.

Fifth, with regard to DVD pricing; it's set by the market, as with all things. A lot of things are expensive in Japan, and anime is one of them (for various reasons, mostly already covered); however, supply and demand dictate that if it sells at a certain price, then it shall sell at that price. Of note is that, typically, anime would cost ~8000円 or so, it seems that lately prices are dropping. Also remember that most anime is aired very late, and the best way to watch it is to get it on DVD.

Sixth, I love Kyon... it's great to have a cynical, aware and pragmatic male lead. Or... have I already said that?

Finally...
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzfurrball
try drawing 憂鬱 [on any piece of paper you can find]
Believe me, I do.

P.S.

I hope the discussion gets heated enough for a Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu forum. Ideally we'd be able to discuss and compare the novels, manga and anime.

Last edited by sophismata; 2006-04-12 at 11:22.
sophismata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 11:06   Link #382
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
Melange: With your permission I'll be using one of your creation in my sig. Actually it's already there. Mikuru-chan with an AK-47 is hot!
I have to warn you... 160 pixels tall (which is the height of my 'creation') is the limit for sig without additional text. With text the limit is 120 pixels ^^0 Maybe I should resize some of these...

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 11:12   Link #383
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Uwa, this thread is getting dangerous for me. I have to hold back or I'll accidently hyper-spoil everything. 原作既読派の居場所がどんどんなくなってるね... チョットションボリ(・ω・‘ )
We must tie you down and incarcerate you in a dark room until this series gets its own forum

Quote:
Unless things go horribly wrong with the anime, I think that won't be a problem. ^^;

Although it seems like a lot of people think this is a 100% comedy show, it's not, there ARE some serious moments (the OP animation already contains a few hints), and incredibly confusing ones too (Yuki's self-introduction comes to mind) (although Kyon's tsukkomis are relentless even during these moments). Kyoani has already impressed me deeply with these 2 comedy episodes, now if only they can handle the more dramatic scenes with the same flair and taste as the novel, then they'll get their ¥48,800 from me for the full DVD set.

From your description, this series has everything I'm looking for^^
Now I can't wait for those other aspects of the show to pop up!

@Melange: The new recruiting banners look great! keep up the good work
Shirobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 11:35   Link #384
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyousuke
Do you have your avatar with normal borders [Woland]?
I have this one with a double border

And some more misc av

I tried also an "attempt" of sign but I stopped halfway... I'm not cut for that
BTW

(AV version)

Last edited by Woland; 2006-04-12 at 12:34.
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 11:43   Link #385
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

LoL, another ep that had me laughing through the whole thing. Mikuru looked so scared when Haruhi 'abducted' her, =[ poor thing.
When she slammed Kyons head into the desk too, funniest thing and in the middle of class.
The hair scene was funny too, but i watched it back and realised how well it was done with the same expression and stance but with good quailty throughout.
Also the ending was bigger, yay full screen dancing!

This is one awesome anime so far, i was hooked on episode 1 and this was just immense too!

Sign me upto the SOS!!!
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 11:49   Link #386
sophismata
いいえ

Tomorrow morning I want to take all the gifs, pictures and signatures and stick them in their own thread.

Properly accredited, of course.
sophismata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 11:52   Link #387
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

How are you guys taking screencaps?

I have an idea or two, but my hardware acceleration just yields the blank box...
DannoHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 11:53   Link #388
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

It look like the Haruhi's invasion have begin, huh?

@ woland .. the sig looks fine ^^
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 12:06   Link #389
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoHung
How are you guys taking screencaps?

I have an idea or two, but my hardware acceleration just yields the blank box...
If you are using Media Player Classic, you will need to change the output settings to renderless.
If you are using VLC (use VLC). It's as simple as stating a destination for the screenshots to be saved and using the screenshot option in the pulldown menu.

Of course I can't be anymore specific since I'm at school and not at my desktop

And yes, the Haruhi revolution has started, care to join KiNa?
Old 2006-04-12, 12:10   Link #390
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

^ Too late.. Im already sold to the small, cute and have big breasts Mikuru =3
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 12:18   Link #391
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I seriously need to either brush up my Japanese reading comprehension (so I could read the novel) or get ahold of Haruhi novel in Chinese somehow ><!

Melancholy is only book 1 of the series so it's all too likely that the numbering system will go like...

Advantures of Asahina Mikuru 0.

---- End prologue ----

Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi I, II, III...
Regrets of Suzumiya Haruhi I, II...
Perturbation of Suzumiya Haruhi...
Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi...

---- End season 1 ----

Revulsion of Suzumiya Haruhi...
Irresolution(wavering) of Suzumiya Haruhi...
Conspiracy of Suzumiya Haruhi...

Base on the name of the books. (I wonder if those are close enough approx. of the translated titles...)
panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 12:40   Link #392
Arlyn
Moe~ is important!

To be brief and short. Wow!

Say, how many had already learn the ending dance? Or it's just me doing weird stuff? Then again, this is Haruhi, so anything can be expected.

PS

Riker, May I use this avatar? My favorite scene in the episode!
Old 2006-04-12, 12:47   Link #393
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn
To be brief and short. Wow!

Say, how many had already learn the ending dance? Or it's just me doing weird stuff? Then again, this is Haruhi, so anything can be expected.
I'm waiting and hoping for an official animated PV of the ED for the full dance.
But I need to get some ladies before I'll attempt that dance
Old 2006-04-12, 12:48   Link #394
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Uwa, this thread is getting dangerous for me. I have to hold back or I'll accidently hyper-spoil everything. 原作既読派の居場所がどんどんなくなってるね... チョットションボリ(・ω・‘ )
原作読んでる人はそれで色々楽しめるからいいんジャネ?
At least we know what to expect and be interested on how KyoAni will pull off those "events" that Kyon goes through with Nagato, Mikuru-tan, and Koizumi.

I'm especially looking foward to
Spoiler:

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-04-12 at 13:29.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 12:51   Link #395
Yashiro

I just finished watching both episodes of Suzumiya Haruhi, and I LOVED it. I have't laughed so many times in an anime in quite some time. It's my favorite anime of the season so far, and if it gets better, it MAY be one of my favorites of all time. I can't wait to see more episodes of this show, it's fantastic. This is one I'll be following every thing of. Now for me to make a Mikuru avatar
Yashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 13:00   Link #396
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I'm especially looking foward to
Spoiler:
It should be fine- afterall, FMP:TSR's fighting scenes turned out all right, right? :^D

I hope they won't use any cheap special effects to simulate the background though- no cheap blur or slow frame etc.

Spoiler for some more-"DONT READ IT":

Yuki
Old 2006-04-12, 13:08   Link #397
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Can anybody post a summary of the novels, or point me to a site with summaries of the novels? I've got the novels, but at the moment, I don't have the time to read them on my own in detail. *sob* Besides, I'm not too good with Kanji, and there isn't much furigana in the novels, like Shakugan no Shana.

I love this series. Episode 2 had me splitting a gut. Having the humor on the brink of outright craziness (i.e. Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu ) made it perfect.
Old 2006-04-12, 13:38   Link #398
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
U

Although it seems like a lot of people think this is a 100% comedy show, it's not, there ARE some serious moments (the OP animation already contains a few hints), and incredibly confusing ones too (Yuki's self-introduction comes to mind) (although Kyon's tsukkomis are relentless even during these moments). Kyoani has already impressed me deeply with these 2 comedy episodes, now if only they can handle the more dramatic scenes with the same flair and taste as the novel, then they'll get their ¥48,800 from me for the full DVD set.
I've finally gotten used to the game Japanese anime plays of sucking you in with the humor, getting you to love the characters ... and then beating the tar out of them in horrible ways while you scream plaintively at the screen. Given the superb intelligent level of comedy here, I'm already bracing myself for impact later in the series.
note: I've no idea what happens later having not read any of the manga or novels.

Hmmm, 48.8k yen ..... hmmmm, to wait for region one release or not...
Old 2006-04-12, 13:48   Link #399
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

The anime is actually the best synopsis of the story.

Here's what I was able to cobble together from Kyon's description on club formation.

Regulations regarding the formation of a new "Common Interest Group":

Five members or above. Sponsor Teacher, names (of all members), guaranter, details on decisions and activities, and approvals from the Student union as well as the Operation Committee are required. Club activities must generate (positive) energy and in accordance to [can't figure this out out ><]. The activities and results upon formation of the group are to be reported to the committee [also including something on elevation on motions of the committee if I am reading it right] and the club's budget are allocated based on that.

(we're now 2/7 chapters in vol1.)
panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 13:59   Link #400
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

I've a question to ask those who have read at least up to page 125 of the 1st novel. I made a signature but I'm worried it might be too spoiler-ish for the time being so I'd like your opinions...
Spoiler for DO NOT CLICK UNLESS YOU HAVE READ THE UP TO PAGE 125 OF THE 1ST NOVEL!:

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen