AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2003-12-06, 23:35   Link #1
pantagruel

explorer crashes

explorer crashes sometime when i view, highlight, paste, or double click on a avi. it never happens to the one at the desktop, only the one in folders. how do i fix this? btw im using windows xp

Last edited by pantagruel; 2003-12-07 at 01:33.
Old 2003-12-07, 16:40   Link #2
Animaniac
On leave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
It is probable that you are trying to play files encoded with XviD which is a freeware version of DivX. Codec packs are a very bad way to solve this or any other problem since they often create their own problems. Through much trial and error, tested upon countless newbies (who don't know how to read the "sticky" important threads) we have found the ultimate codec solution for playing all avi files.

Uninstall all your codecs. Trust me. All of them:
Uninstall DivX.
Uninstall XviD.
Uninstall ffdshow.
Especially uninstall any Codec packs, They are Evil!

Download and install ffdshow. You'll find it listed as [Level 1] on the Media Configuration Guide.
This is the basic response to all problems, yours included. I don't know how many times this has been said on the forum, but in order for us to help you, you have to take the time and READ before you post. Media Configuration Guide is even stickied at the top, and you missed it.
Old 2003-12-07, 18:45   Link #3
pantagruel

i did install ffdshow, tahts the only codec i have.
Old 2004-02-02, 02:29   Link #4
RavageKnight

i got the same problem. i uninstalled all my codecs and dled and installed that ddfdshow thing. it didnt work. most of my files wouldnt open. so i uninstalled that. and i dled the vlc player listed on the media config guide. and it seems to work on all my files. which is good. but is there some way just to use wmp? i dont like having to have so many diff players. i rather use wmp for all my music and videos. i know its the xvid codec that causes the prob cause once i uninstalled just that codec i can click on the file and explorer wouldnt close. of course the file wouldnt open. is there some way to keep wmp as the one and only player?
Old 2004-02-02, 03:02   Link #5
flammie
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavageKnight
i got the same problem. i uninstalled all my codecs and dled and installed that ddfdshow thing. it didnt work. most of my files wouldnt open. so i uninstalled that. and i dled the vlc player listed on the media config guide. and it seems to work on all my files. which is good. but is there some way just to use wmp? i dont like having to have so many diff players. i rather use wmp for all my music and videos. i know its the xvid codec that causes the prob cause once i uninstalled just that codec i can click on the file and explorer wouldnt close. of course the file wouldnt open. is there some way to keep wmp as the one and only player?
The way to use wmp as the only player is to have the correct codecs installed. Since ffdshow doesn't work for you, you should install the latest versions of divx and xvid.
Old 2004-02-02, 03:09   Link #6
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Actualy this problem comes from a single file.

I had the same problem with a XVid1 format. Every time the miniature loaded even before playing the video it maked my explorer crash. Find the bad data by putting your files view in "details". then your page should load normaly whitout any crash then look for the Xvid1 in your library of video . Search the proprieties to know what codec was used. Get rid of this video. If this is your problem, installing the new xvid codec version is useless. This should work it did for me. As to know if your problem is the exact same.. but I suggest you try .
Old 2004-02-02, 14:46   Link #7
flammie
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOS'STAR
Actualy this problem comes from a single file.

I had the same problem with a XVid1 format. Every time the miniature loaded even before playing the video it maked my explorer crash. Find the bad data by putting your files view in "details". then your page should load normaly whitout any crash then look for the Xvid1 in your library of video . Search the proprieties to know what codec was used. Get rid of this video. If this is your problem, installing the new xvid codec version is useless. This should work it did for me. As to know if your problem is the exact same.. but I suggest you try .
No offense, but your solution is like throwing away a DVD because it locks up your CD player, when the obvious solution is to get a DVD player. Explorer should stop locking up if you get the correct codec to play your file. Otherwise, you can disable the video file preview (XP is annoying to do this though).
Old 2004-02-02, 15:18   Link #8
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Absolutly Not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flammie
if you get the correct codec to play your file..
????

Actualy XVid1 is the codec.

Quote:

If this is your problem, installing the new xvid codec version is useless
I have test this myself.

Quote:
Otherwise, you can disable the video file preview
Quote:

Every time the miniature loaded even before playing the video it maked my explorer crash. Find the bad data by putting your files view in "details". then your page should load normaly whitout any crash
How is this diffrent from "disable the miniature video file preview"..
Old 2004-02-02, 15:33   Link #9
flammie
White Dragon

Quote:
Get rid of this video. If this is your problem, installing the new xvid codec version is useless.
I disliked this part actually. Although reading it again, I guess you were saying test to make sure the xvid1 file was the one causing the problem, which is a good thing to do. Still, installing the correct codec (even the new xvid codec) should solve the problem.
Old 2004-02-02, 16:26   Link #10
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flammie
I disliked this part actually. Although reading it again, I guess you were saying test to make sure the xvid1 file was the one causing the problem, which is a good thing to do. Still, installing the correct codec (even the new xvid codec) should solve the problem.
Okay. So say its a codec conflict. But,
I swear that when you have this problem its not that easy fixed.
I did not eliminate the file for nothing.
I tried everything, and unistalling codec and all is not the solution.
Problem remains. THATS why I had to get rid of the file.

Until you have a better solution I advise you format your HDD or reinstall your windows if you dont wanna loose all you files but I dont suggest you do that. Also you will download more of these vid who confict wich each other.

Last edited by JOJOS'STAR; 2004-02-02 at 21:26.