AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-02-17, 10:07   Link #41
jigenbakuda
Kazumi sure is cute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
She is the charm of every man I guess.
She is dominating and yet, obedient.
She is wise and yet naive.
Playful and yet cunning.
She is bravado but not shy in showing her tears.
And most of all I guess most of you will not understand but the usage of Oiran kotoba gives her the ultimate feminine touch.
Yes this is very true. I guess one of the reasons I am so obsessed with horo-sama is because she is they type of woman I would like to run off with and have an affair with, even if only a summer. Such an interesting person to watch. But its always nice to know under all her big talk is a soft woman. I think that is beyond cute. As powerful of a woman she is she still needs a man in her life... but I'm sure if I understood oiran kotoba I would be so much more in love with her character. Also like someone esle said, horo-sama is a classy flirt, what else do you need, I just want to meet a woman like horo-sama, lol.

If one sets a trap, isn't it the victim's fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 11:29   Link #42
RavenHawk
Tsundere Killer

Send a message via MSN to RavenHawk Send a message via Yahoo to RavenHawk
Horo is probably the roundest character I've ever met in any anime I've seen. I mean she doesn't have just one static personality, she's got a lot of them. Add the ears and tail, and you've got a moe factor with superior charm. I don't see that kind of character much in anime nowadays, but Horo just revived it. In short, she's the perfect anime woman, well at least for me. I think she's my new number 1 female; strangely another wolf is in my number one, but in the male category: Kiba. Man I'm so jealous at Lawrence....
RavenHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 01:53   Link #43
esfir
hepcat

i am certainly in the extreme minority, but there is something about horo's character that falls flat for me--there some important element that is missing. despite her great age, i feel she seems somehow too naive, too artificial (although it may be that baby-voice that is altering my impression). i feel there is a lot of wisdom, pain and cynicism that should come with a character of her age and type; however, it is only coming across to me but superficially.

so far, she is--to me--a cute girl whom is clever and quick-witted, but not much more than that.
esfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 17:06   Link #44
Frozen_Angel
Gothy Lesbian from Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
For those wondering about the spelling of Horo's name in English the last issue of Newtype USA had a translated version of this pic:

and the spelling they used was "Horo."

and they called the show "The Wolf and The Spice."

So from what I understand Horo is her name in Japan, Holo in English, is this correct? also might anyone care to elaborate why the name is differnt in english assuming my first question is correct
Old 2008-02-20, 17:15   Link #45
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen_Angel View Post
So from what I understand Horo is her name in Japan, Holo in English, is this correct? also might anyone care to elaborate why the name is differnt in english assuming my first question is correct
It's really just a matter of choice. In Japanese, "l" and "r" can be switched around.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 17:40   Link #46
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually, neither is entirely correct. In Japan, her name is "ほろ” which in Standard Romaji would be rendered "Horo". Those japanese syllables that correspond to standard "r_" syllables have a sound that doesn't exactly exist in English. It uses a combination of "l", "r" and "d" mouth positions. I might write it in Katakana ... except that "Horo" is an Ainu word for "Wolf" and therefore not an import name.

Saying "Holo" wouldn't be too far off but less close than saying "Horo" while rolling the "r" a bit (and throwing a bit of "d" into it).

WRITING her name as "Holo" would be incorrect by Standard Romaji methods (there are no symbols for "L*"), but it certainly doesn't stop some people from doing so (including a certain Japanese graphic artist who didn't do so well in school methinks).

Conclusion is that you could certainly write "Holo" but you'd only confuse many people and make Japanese instructors glare at you.
How you *say* "ほろ” depends on how well you handle the last sound

Here's a specific counter-example or two: One of our posters uses the nickname "Risaa" "Ri-sa-a" (リサア) which is a Japanese interpretation of the English name "Lisa". My name, "Vexx" is a real trauma to try and Nihongo-fy as 3 of the four letters have no direct correspondence to the Japanese syllable list. (Be-ke-tsu???? ick!)

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-02-20 at 17:54.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 18:03   Link #47
Frozen_Angel
Gothy Lesbian from Hell

Lmao confusing
Old 2008-02-25, 03:45   Link #48
Pvt Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
WRITING her name as "Holo" would be incorrect by Standard Romaji methods (there are no symbols for "L*"), but it certainly doesn't stop some people from doing so (including a certain Japanese graphic artist who didn't do so well in school methinks).
http://www.mxtv.co.jp/ookami/chara.html

'Holo' is all over the Wikipedia entry as well. I'll try editing it, but I don't like my chances...
Pvt Public is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 04:24   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Good luck, Masanori Ota has been trying to correct the Wiki for weeks but there's apparently a determined misinformed person or two who insists on contradicting what is written and what is the standard romaji/kana table charts in the back of every book on japanese language. Even the site you referenced spells it properly, if you go to the Staff and Cast page, Horo's name is spelled ホロ which every single dictionary and book I have (I have dozens) translates as "HO-RO". period... that's it. there is no "LO" in any kana/romaji chart (or even an "L*" row).

Now the *pronunciation* of Horo in Japanese requires one to say "ro" the way Japanese say it (a kind of combined r/l/d sound)... but standard romaji is written "ro". I've even shown it to my native-Japanese instructor and she dubs it kind of clueless to write it "lo".

Frankly, I'm about to stop being pleasant about it and ask where these "lo" people get their clues. Just because a Japanese graphic artist had a less than lucid moment.... the source is the author of the novels who writes it ホロ and the Romaji is straightforward on the subject. Couple that with the word "Horo" being an ancient japanese (ainu) word for "wolf" and there's not much left to say. Someone who bothers to correct the Wiki should mention that as well. "Holo" isn't even a European name that I can find anywhere so that's a poor defense justifying it in the same manner as Chloe and Lawrence's name.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-03-03 at 03:08.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 04:36   Link #50
Pvt Public

If you could locate respectable sources for all that, you might be able to lodge complaints against the users.
I'm currently in a revert-war with one guy, won't be quitting till they lock the article from anonymous editors.
Pvt Public is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 08:51   Link #51
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

I wanna do it too. Then I'll use my registered account to fuck around with them. I'm fucking sick of the average Wikipedia user. Bunch of stuck-up assholes who think they can play God without knowing half of what any self-respecting God knows. And then they develop a twisted sense of ownership because they work on some part of a freakin' database. Serious crazy people on Wikis.
Old 2008-02-26, 01:00   Link #52
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heh... have some more sake, Masanori Ota ..... its a good reason why Wiki sourcing should be taken with a heavy sprinkling of salt.

"It says ..... in the Wiki" is a very weak form of validation for citing and this is one example of why.
Old 2008-03-03, 02:44   Link #53
RavenHawk
Tsundere Killer

Send a message via MSN to RavenHawk Send a message via Yahoo to RavenHawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Heh... have some more sake, Masanori Ota ..... its a good reason why Wiki sourcing should be taken with a heavy sprinkling of salt.

"It says ..... in the Wiki" is a very weak form of validation for citing and this is one example of why.
Aye. Anyone can change it, even non registered users. I'm better of with "Horo" than "Holo"; the latter makes me think of shiny cards.
RavenHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-03, 03:16   Link #54
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The only reference to "Holo" I've found *anywhere* as a name is a Taiwanese ethnic group's language called Holo. No european references at all. So here we have a common Ainu word for wolf -- "Horo" that uses standard japanese syllables. Unless contrary *evidence* can be found outside of that one artist's goof up, I'd say case closed.
Old 2008-04-01, 06:23   Link #55
Arcananine77

Quote:
Playful and yet cunning.
And most of all I guess most of you will not understand but the usage of Oiran kotoba gives her the ultimate feminine touch.
You put it beatifully there. I agree!

<3 Horo
Arcananine77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 20:33   Link #56
ESC

Quote:
Playful and yet cunning.
Agreed. Summary: She is sex. Not just sexy but sex.
ESC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 23:48   Link #57
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC View Post
Agreed. Summary: She is sex. Not just sexy but sex.
You're absolutely right, I mean imagine your female partner showing each and every aspect in bed.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 01:19   Link #58
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, that description is quite poetic, a poem to the goddess
Old 2008-04-15, 00:54   Link #59
Gundampilotspaz

Send a message via AIM to Gundampilotspaz
It is odd that she seems to be manipulative and yet at the same time she is helping him at the same time. Not just at the end of the series but even when they first met. It makes her an interesting character to watch because she seems to need someone with her, but at the same time she seems to be taking advantage of Lawrence.

She might be considered the ultimate woman, in that respect. *waits to be flamed*
Gundampilotspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 04:02   Link #60
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

I think that while Horo is certainly messing with Lawrences' head a fair amount of the time, it's not due to maliciousness, but because it's her only real form of entertainment. That and food. But it's been shown that Lawrence needed a companion (boy, does that word make me think of Dr. Who), so they both get something. I'm interested in what Horo did before now, some of which was hinted at in episode 4.
Spoiler for episode 4:
Blank-Mage is offline   Reply With Quote