AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-02, 00:00   Link #1161
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvance View Post
Well, Ao probably took it as a parental abandonment since he wasn't around which is why he hates Renton.
That's my take - more of a general resentment at the anonymous figure who - as he sees it - abandoned his mother and himself.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 02:31   Link #1162
ookamigirl

Ao hanging out around the complex.
He sure didn't like being under surveillance.
World politics is seriously messed up sometimes.
The fight with the Secret was pretty intense.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 07:45   Link #1163
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Full version of Stereopony's "Stand by Me" is out- Best Ending theme for Spring
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 12:03   Link #1164
Arya

Nice episode. We are back to the monster of the week, but it was funny and a bit silly as someone already mentioned. I basically got the same remarks Elena had. Well, the Ao/Fleur development was something expected, now it depends on how far they want to go. But since I keep having a generic feeling from the Gen Blue department I'm leaning toward a further development more than a buddy friendship.

Anyways, since I got only the aquarion reference I'll take that ref to make a silly comparison with EVOL. They seem to share similar premises:
Spoiler for EVOL comparison, possible spoilers:

Ok, ok, I'll stop it here

Speaking of the episode, I'm not surprised that Ao "hates" his father, as already said, it's more a vague rancor against a figure, his father, that he has never known, like Fleur's issues. She *hates* his father but it is more a need to address the hate toward someone instead of keeping it inside. And she is piloting not because it is the thing he hates the most, but because she can stay with him, imho. In fact the episode ended with a clear message. Behind her father's mask there's a good person, but circumstances and his role inside GB built that mask.
Mirroring Fleur's shoes into Ao's, they are telling us/Ao that his father, Renton, is not a bad person. I'm expecting that Eureka and Renton decided to split and Eureka came to this world to save it. But it would be a bit of a dumb decision. Who would send his pregnant wife/girl to another world? Well, since I don't have a great reputation of Renton I would expect it by him, but letting my personal biases aside, it was more like a casualness that Eureka crossed worlds, thanks to the coral/secrets.

Last thing, I have a sort of feeling that remind me of NGE here and there, too. I don't know what it is. Probably the way secrets are and act. Don't know. But if that were intentional it would reinforce the erroneous world statement and so what we are watching know is not exactly how the world really is. But a mystification of it. Truth speaks the truth, nomen omen, sort of.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 13:17   Link #1165
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

This episode reminded me of the second quarter of Eva (the best part of Eva, actually).
Especially of that angel that was falling from the stratosphere.
Except not as energetic or fun. Or interesting at all, really.
I don't know, it's something in the directing, how each scene is set, it's too chaotic, too abridged.
People's confusion at what should be basic things (such as Naru's current deal and what Ao thinks about it) is a sign of that.

In addition: Elena is seriously grinding on my nerves. Poor 4th wall.

Last edited by Daniel Lind; 2012-06-02 at 13:41.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 13:43   Link #1166
Destined_Fate

I'm sure Renten had no choice but to split with Eureka and her vanishing had something to do with what happened to Renten.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 13:48   Link #1167
Theorder14

or maybe Renton somehow merged with Nirvash ?
Theorder14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 14:58   Link #1168
Destined_Fate

I don't think that's the case and would be a pretty weak plot twist. Besides, the Nirvash is clearly a female.
Old 2012-06-02, 23:55   Link #1169
Dark Wing

Looks like Fleur and Ao have gained a lot of respect for each other this episode.

Next episode swim suits!

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2012-06-03 at 12:56.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 00:08   Link #1170
Destined_Fate

Poor Ao, I don't think his body is ready for the swimsuits. Expect a lot of bood loss.
Old 2012-06-03, 00:36   Link #1171
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

But he is from Okinawa. He should be used to it already.

At least, Ao's treatment would be better now. He's now somewhat accepted into the team.
orpheus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 11:53   Link #1172
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Good grounded character episodes to bring the show back to the realm of understanding. The total lack of Truth for now means nothing to crazy going on and that we get to find out a bit more about how the current world state functions and exactly where Generations Bleu's influence lies within it which seems to be a lot. Not only do nations depend on them, but they even seem capable of influencing public opinion as well via trickery and necessity of their involvement since only they have the technology to effectively deal with the secrets.

Fleur's reason for hating her father strikes me as a little irrational. I don't know how old she's supposed to be, but it seems to be her teens and I think at that age she'd probably start to understand the sacrifice her father had to make and appreciate the impossibility of his decision. It's basically she lives with the fact that it happened or she doesn't live at all and doesn't even get to be aware that her mother is still alive, which would she rather have? Needless to say her father does not appear to be the direct source of her situtation.

Elena...I think she may have had the first somewhat meaningful interaction with her crew this episode that didn't just involve referencing otaku culture, but she's still light years behind every other character in the show in terms of feeling like she's at all necessary to the narrative. Ao and Fleur basically could have ignored her the entire episode and she might as well not have even been involved in the fight and it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Nothing like having a trio where one feels entirely like dead weight and is just there.

Also have to lol at all the anti-Americanism in this show and a simplification of how they work to a certain extent. I know America isn't the most reputable country in the world and it's upper echelon of power's utter beholdance to capitalist culture ahead of anything else should probably make any nation state wary, but I have a hard time thinking they'd just abandon another country to certain destruction when they could be making money off of it instead. Rather, the America I know would probably use the secret as an excuse to get Faisal to let them set up a base there which would lead to an occupation from which they could start bargaining with and exploiting the countries resources for protection in a few years time.

The way I see it Ao is what I like to call a Kamille-type, albeit one of the youngest ones I've ever seen. Basically a Kamille type like the namesake is a character with a strong sense of justice and duty, but an unchecked temper that leads to him getting into trouble or in over his head a lot of the time, usually in the form of clashing with authority types. Also typically rather than wallow in self-pity when bad things happen their first instinct is to start throwing some dukes.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 12:10   Link #1173
word sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorder14 View Post
or maybe Renton somehow merged with Nirvash ?
I think its more likely that he merged with Eureka and was reborn as Ao. At the end of Eureka 7 they combined then she suddenly returns to earth pregnant..
Old 2012-06-03, 21:54   Link #1174
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Good grounded character episodes to bring the show back to the realm of understanding. The total lack of Truth for now means nothing to crazy going on and that we get to find out a bit more about how the current world state functions and exactly where Generations Bleu's influence lies within it which seems to be a lot. Not only do nations depend on them, but they even seem capable of influencing public opinion as well via trickery and necessity of their involvement since only they have the technology to effectively deal with the secrets.

Fleur's reason for hating her father strikes me as a little irrational. I don't know how old she's supposed to be, but it seems to be her teens and I think at that age she'd probably start to understand the sacrifice her father had to make and appreciate the impossibility of his decision. It's basically she lives with the fact that it happened or she doesn't live at all and doesn't even get to be aware that her mother is still alive, which would she rather have? Needless to say her father does not appear to be the direct source of her situtation.

Elena...I think she may have had the first somewhat meaningful interaction with her crew this episode that didn't just involve referencing otaku culture, but she's still light years behind every other character in the show in terms of feeling like she's at all necessary to the narrative. Ao and Fleur basically could have ignored her the entire episode and she might as well not have even been involved in the fight and it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Nothing like having a trio where one feels entirely like dead weight and is just there.

Also have to lol at all the anti-Americanism in this show and a simplification of how they work to a certain extent. I know America isn't the most reputable country in the world and it's upper echelon of power's utter beholdance to capitalist culture ahead of anything else should probably make any nation state wary, but I have a hard time thinking they'd just abandon another country to certain destruction when they could be making money off of it instead. Rather, the America I know would probably use the secret as an excuse to get Faisal to let them set up a base there which would lead to an occupation from which they could start bargaining with and exploiting the countries resources for protection in a few years time.

The way I see it Ao is what I like to call a Kamille-type, albeit one of the youngest ones I've ever seen. Basically a Kamille type like the namesake is a character with a strong sense of justice and duty, but an unchecked temper that leads to him getting into trouble or in over his head a lot of the time, usually in the form of clashing with authority types. Also typically rather than wallow in self-pity when bad things happen their first instinct is to start throwing some dukes.
I personally liked this eighth episode most over the others, because of the congeniality that both Fleur and Ao developed throughout the episode itself.

I agree that Fleur's acting childish and cannot see the burden her father was put through in such a live-or-die situation where he had the power of choice to choose either his wife or his daughter but not both. These are types of decisions that aren't simplistic but complicated; those are decisions and choices that cannot be judged harshly by children.
Yet, at the end Christophe pull out his influence strings to work around the American radar....
Spoiler:

But, well, despite a bump in their start, Fleur and Ao have begun to approach each other in a very friendly manner.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 07:13   Link #1175
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Upcoming Eureka Seven AO credits:

Episode 10 - Release Your Self
Script: Hiroyuki Kawasaki
Episode Director: Satomi Nakamura
Storyboard: Takuya Igarashi
Animation Directors: Takaaki Izumo, Daisuke Takemoto, Chizuko Kusakabe, Nekomataya (mecha)

Episode 11 - Plateaux of Mirrow
Script: Shou Aikawa
Episode Director: Ikuro Sato
Storyboard: Hitoshi Nanba
Animation Directors: Koichi Hirokawa, Hideto Komori, Eiko Saito, Kazuhiro Miwa (mecha)

Episode 12 - Step into a World
Script: Shou Aikawa
Episode Director: Yo Miura
Storyboard: Soichi Masui
Animation Directors: TBA
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 09:49   Link #1176
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
I personally liked this eighth episode most over the others, because of the congeniality that both Fleur and Ao developed throughout the episode itself.

I agree that Fleur's acting childish and cannot see the burden her father was put through in such a live-or-die situation where he had the power of choice to choose either his wife or his daughter but not both. These are types of decisions that aren't simplistic but complicated; those are decisions and choices that cannot be judged harshly by children.
Yet, at the end Christophe pull out his influence strings to work around the American radar....
Spoiler:

But, well, despite a bump in their start, Fleur and Ao have begun to approach each other in a very friendly manner.
I mostly liked it too because I could follow from point to point what was going on which had been pretty difficult with the prior couple episodes. It definitely flowed a lot better than any episode we've seen since Ao got to Generation Bleu I'd say. I'm glad they realized they needed a nice grounded character development episode right about now after all the new elements they introduced to the story and didn't Guilty Crown it by just continuing to pile more and more new twists on top of ones that they'd already introduced.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 22:42   Link #1177
RiderLeangle

About the whole thing about what universe AO takes place in thing... I just realized something we should have considered... Remember in ep 47 how Diane mentioned that the Scub Coral discovered there was another universe on the other side of the tear in the universe series 1 happened in...

Think that other universe could possibly be where AO happens and we just overlooked it or is this just grasping at straws for some kind of logic?
RiderLeangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 23:41   Link #1178
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderLeangle View Post
About the whole thing about what universe AO takes place in thing... I just realized something we should have considered... Remember in ep 47 how Diane mentioned that the Scub Coral discovered there was another universe on the other side of the tear in the universe series 1 happened in...

Think that other universe could possibly be where AO happens and we just overlooked it or is this just grasping at straws for some kind of logic?
It's at least one of the worlds the Scub Coral have seen/left to. It's pretty well set as a sequel for the Scub Coral. Eureka/Renton, likely, won't be the "originals", but this also isn't a parallel universe story.

I've pointed this out several times and the clues are pretty direct on the point of the world. However, details about the world itself are pretty limited and we don't have much of a clue who what versions of Eureka/Renton were/are around.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 17:53   Link #1179
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

So what happens in this episode?
SolarAquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 18:35   Link #1180
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Random thought, does anyone think that the flight suits for Generation Bleu look a bit like Anemone's from the first show? I kept thinking that the way the arms were a bit fat was weird and then remembered that Anemone's suit was a bit like that too (although the chest's are a bit different and the feet certainly are).

Spoiler for size:
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen