AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: Mahouka LN - Steeplechase Chapter (Volume 13) Rating
Perfect 10 13 20.63%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 20.63%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 26.98%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 17.46%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 6.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.17%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.17%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.59%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-04-29, 03:18   Link #1361
Chris38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoboSobo View Post
they did a blood test in volume 8 that confirms they are siblings, so is kinda late to throw a twist now, it will change the background to much.
Well ... based upon that ... I assume that you don't think that Tatsuya being referred as the sin of the Yotsuba isn't a change / twist to his background as well...

Of course it could have a meaning that we are already aware of ... like Tatsuya being a failure of the Yotsuba or being too powerful.... due to his unique innate magic ... but it could be also be an author's way of foreshadowing / hinting that there are some more mysteries around Tatsuya's background...

Basically, in my opinion, nothing is certain in a ongoing work, since everything can be changed by the author in the future story events.

Especially if it involves such a mysterious clan as the Yotsuba, which keeps their members, activities and history in the dark...

Of course ... if something is well established in the story, it's a lot more harder to change it ... later on, but since the blood tests have been ... from what I remember ... only mentioned in a single ... side story volume ... it makes it, quite easy to overrule by simply having the author pointing out that the tests that the siblings have done in the past have been faked by the Yotsuba clan who wanted to keep the true origins of their 'sin' in the dark ... or something similar to that.

If the author didn't want the blood test to be overruled by future story developments ... he could have easily shown us a flashback of the blood tests being done ... or have the siblings conduct another blood test in the present time ... but, obviously the author hasn't done that...

Furthermore I find the whole plot point of Tatsuya and Miyuki doing blood tests to confirm their relation pretty suspicious on it's own ... since, at least in the real world ... they are usually done if there are some uncertainties about someones origins, which shouldn't be the case for Miyuki and Tatsuya considering the things that we know about their father (huge psion count that has been inherited by both Tatsuya and Miyuki ) and mother (unique mental interference magic, which has also been inherited by her daughter)...
Chris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 03:25   Link #1362
IceHism

The blood and dna tests were all in their records according to what miyuki said in vol5. I'm not sure if they have seen the actual results but the Yotsuba can change anything they want so it wouldn't be too hard for them to fabricate it.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 04:15   Link #1363
SoboSobo
Reader, thinker, Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris38 View Post
Well ... based upon that ... I assume that you don't think that Tatsuya being referred as the sin of the Yotsuba isn't a change / twist to his background as well...

Of course it could have a meaning that we are already aware of ... like Tatsuya being a failure of the Yotsuba or being too powerful.... due to his unique innate magic ... but it could be also be an author's way of foreshadowing / hinting that there are some more mysteries around Tatsuya's background...

Basically, in my opinion, nothing is certain in a ongoing work, since everything can be changed by the author in the future story events.

Especially if it involves such a mysterious clan as the Yotsuba, which keeps their members, activities and history in the dark...

Of course ... if something is well established in the story, it's a lot more harder to change it ... later on, but since the blood tests have been ... from what I remember ... only mentioned in a single ... side story volume ... it makes it, quite easy to overrule by simply having the author pointing out that the tests that the siblings have done in the past have been faked by the Yotsuba clan who wanted to keep the true origins of their 'sin' in the dark ... or something similar to that.

If the author didn't want the blood test to be overruled by future story developments ... he could have easily shown us a flashback of the blood tests being done ... or have the siblings conduct another blood test in the present time ... but, obviously the author hasn't done that...

Furthermore I find the whole plot point of Tatsuya and Miyuki doing blood tests to confirm their relation pretty suspicious on it's own ... since, at least in the real world ... they are usually done if there are some uncertainties about someones origins, which shouldn't be the case for Miyuki and Tatsuya considering the things that we know about their father (huge psion count that has been inherited by both Tatsuya and Miyuki ) and mother (unique mental interference magic, which has also been inherited by her daughter)...
I get what your are saying, and quite frankly you are correct. But remember when kudou restu talked to kazama, he said he knows tatsuya is the son of yotsuba miya, and the way he said it sounded very convinced.
We assume that tasuya is the one that is not miya child , but going back to same conversation kudou didn`t say anything about about miyuki, it could be tatsuya is the real child and myuki is not.
As for the yotsuba sin, its hard to tell without more information considering the yotsuba did lots of shady stuff in the past, but i doubt its because tatsuya was genetically altered, he can tell if magicians are altered or not with his ES.
I think this whole sin is about, maya and miya(and the yotsuba) knew about tatsuya decomposition and regrowth before the operation and in their desire to create a more powerful magician they wanted to give him same power over normal magic but the experiment failed and the result was an almost emotionless individual with extreme powers, intelligence and very unpredictable, and the yotsuba considers that such a powerful magician existence they have created a sin and their behavior towards him is just a way for the yotsuba to separate and push him away from the clan in order to save face if this information ever came to light.
But i think they are siblings, why would they put tatsuya and 8 9 years old boy as a guardian to miyuki a girl when their own custom was to have gender specific guardians for the clan members, female clan member with female guardian and same for male.
They never met before that time so neither of them knew they had siblings, but maya still put him as a guardian and this resulted in the current situation of not making miyuki the next head the risk of tats turning against the clan will be almost 100% not to mention miyuki turning against them as well.
I don't see why maya would intentionally tie her hands this way, unless that was her plan all along , to use tatsuya power as leverage into making miyuki the next heir over the other candidates and in return miyuki will use her status and influence to bring tatsuya back in the clan, as a way for the clan to accept what they have done and also to ensure his loyalty.
If it turns out maya has actually planed something along this lines she is way smarter and devious then we are lead to believe .
SoboSobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 04:31   Link #1364
Chirst

more info of novel vol 13 by OnyxObsidian
Spoiler for info:
Chirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 04:34   Link #1365
SoboSobo
Reader, thinker, Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirst View Post
Spoiler for info:
christ you are a life saver with this spoilers, the translation is taking so long, this posts is what keeps us from having a nervous brake down
Old 2014-04-29, 04:48   Link #1366
Jamjam

Just wondering...when was it ever said that Miyuki and Tatsuya don't know each other(or that they are siblings) before Tatsuya become Miyuki's gaurdian?

It is said that Tatsuya loves Miyuki unconditionally,(after the experiment done on him) without any memories hampering that love, so he don't know her before the experiment when he was 6? And that's where you inferred that they don't know each other before or was it said and I just missed it?
"There is no plan which is without fail, and there is no battlefield without the danger of death. While victory and defeat may be decided by tacticians, living and dying will always be decided by soldiers."
Jamjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 05:03   Link #1367
niffum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamjam View Post
Just wondering...when was it ever said that Miyuki and Tatsuya don't know each other(or that they are siblings) before Tatsuya become Miyuki's gaurdian?

It is said that Tatsuya loves Miyuki unconditionally,(after the experiment done on him) without any memories hampering that love, so he don't know her before the experiment when he was 6? And that's where you inferred that they don't know each other before or was it said and I just missed it?
This. People keep saying they never met until they were x years old (it varies by poster) or that they lived apart until they were x years old. Where is this ever said? In volume 8, Miyuki specifically states that although they lived together, they barely interacted and that she saw Tatsuya as all but a stranger. That's not at all the same thing as not knowing about his existence. And Tatsuya obviously knew about Miyuki before his operation otherwise how on earth could he have kept his emotions for her? 'Sibling love' would be a really random emotion to keep if it weren't directed at, you know, a sibling. That they spent time apart sure. Tatsuya must have gotten those training scars from somewhere and we've learned in volume 13 (stealth mention to keep this post somewhat OT ) that he spent time around the Kuroba as a child, but again, that's not the same thing as growing up completely apart.

Thank you for relaying the spoilers Chirst, they really are scrumptious.
niffum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 05:12   Link #1368
itisjustme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
But then I'm still confused, the author has stated clearly that "the line" won't be crossed, yet he takes every freakin' oppurtunities to push their relationship to the limit, some of them feel really unnecessary. For instance, way earlier in the series, in vol 1 when she "punished" or "pranked" Tatsuya, and now in vol 13 they share the same room and Miyuki sneaks in his bed? Seriously, what in the the author is thinking? Yeah yeah, I know about the Shiva allusion, but STILL!!!
Incest sells, especially in Japan. Mahouka reads like a fanservice/fanfiction most of the time tbh. :P
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 05:23   Link #1369
SoboSobo
Reader, thinker, Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by niffum View Post
This. People keep saying they never met until they were x years old (it varies by poster) or that they lived apart until they were x years old. Where is this ever said? In volume 8, Miyuki specifically states that although they lived together, they barely interacted and that she saw Tatsuya as all but a stranger. That's not at all the same thing as not knowing about his existence. And Tatsuya obviously knew about Miyuki before his operation otherwise how on earth could he have kept his emotions for her? 'Sibling love' would be a really random emotion to keep if it weren't directed at, you know, a sibling. That they spent time apart sure. Tatsuya must have gotten those training scars from somewhere and we've learned in volume 13 (stealth mention to keep this post somewhat OT ) that he spent time around the Kuroba as a child, but again, that's not the same thing as growing up completely apart.

Thank you for relaying the spoilers Chirst, they really are scrumptious.
need to read the LN again, my memory of the events might no be so good considering i`m reading 3 4 novels at once, facts might get mixed up.
Even if they lived together and they were mostly strangers that barely knew each other i still find it strange that maya would make tatsuya miyuki's guardian even thou she knew it goes against clan rules or tradition of putting a male guardian in charge of a female, and its not because he has ES, that seems like an excuse to me since there are other guardians without ES that does the job as good as he is.
So i find this fact strange, that maya put him as guardian despite the clan rules and now she is trying to replace him with minami.I would love to know her game plan.
As another question, did we see fumiya guardian? he is a candidate for the next heir and he should have one, is he that guy that introduced him and ayako as his cousins?
Seems cousin route is the go get for yotsuba guardians cover story, just asking
Old 2014-04-29, 05:35   Link #1370
NutShell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirst View Post
Spoiler for info:
thx for the spoil.. . . no Steeplechase spoiler ? and He said Lucky quite true, after all He didnt help the 1st year, if he in charge of 1st year who in MB/MC Tatsuya winning streak will break down

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
Incest sells, especially in Japan. Mahouka reads like a fanservice/fanfiction most of the time tbh. :P
well Oreimo sell well and they still in rage with the ed, and I think Mahouka author didn't approve incest route
NutShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 05:38   Link #1371
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
No. Fanfiction is terrible in general and has no purpose except for having fun. Mahouka isnt and actually has decent social commentary, characters, themes, world, and plot. Its a legit story
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 05:57   Link #1372
Chris38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoboSobo View Post
need to read the LN again, my memory of the events might no be so good considering i`m reading 3 4 novels at once, facts might get mixed up.
Even if they lived together and they were mostly strangers that barely knew each other i still find it strange that maya would make tatsuya miyuki's guardian even thou she knew it goes against clan rules or tradition of putting a male guardian in charge of a female, and its not because he has ES, that seems like an excuse to me since there are other guardians without ES that does the job as good as he is.
So i find this fact strange, that maya put him as guardian despite the clan rules and now she is trying to replace him with minami.I would love to know her game plan.
As another question, did we see fumiya guardian? he is a candidate for the next heir and he should have one, is he that guy that introduced him and ayako as his cousins?
Seems cousin route is the go get for yotsuba guardians cover story, just asking
I think the reason why Tatsuya has been made into Miyuki's guardian is due to his only remaining emotion from Tatsuya's operation, rather then his abilities.

After all ... Tatsuya,due to his love for Miyuki would be protecting Miyuki anyway ... even if he hadn't been made into a guardian.

Not to mention the whole Guardian system has another benefit ... of keeping Tatsuya within the clan, due to the fact that Guardians have to stay around their primary for the rest of their lives ... or until their primary releases them from their duties and I don't see Miyuki being capable of doing that.

Basically it can be thought as another chain that binds Tatsuya to the Yotsuba clan... which is also, the reason why I doubt that Minami is going to eventually replace Tatsuya... after all, there is nothing that prevents Miyuki from having two guardians, especially considering her position, as the next Yotsuba clan head...
Old 2014-04-29, 06:03   Link #1373
itisjustme

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
No. Fanfiction is terrible in general and has no purpose except for having fun. Mahouka isnt and actually has decent social commentary, characters, themes, world, and plot. Its a legit story
There's some decently written fanfic out there it's just drowned by the mass of crap but more to the point, Mahouka has an interesting setting but the story itself is mostly an exaltation of Tatsuya. It's like he's the author's avatar and the story's written to make him appear so powerful/smart/cool-headed/(artificially) dramatic. Almost every girl is attracted to him. When the POV shifts to another character they're always talking/thinking about him. Rather than plot-driven or character-driven, the story is constructed to showcase how secretly powerful and cool he is instead.

And the point that bugs me the most, it's like the author thought a lot about his magic system and wants you to know it by the way he keeps force feeding you all those long pseudo magico-scientific technical explanations that I can never understand (but maybe that's due to the translation) that don't really bring a lot if anything to the story.

Fanfiction might be too harsh, let's say it suffers from lack of quality editing at least.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 06:09   Link #1374
Diocar

Just one thing i saw on vol 8
Quote:
Okaa-sama’s specialty magic lies not in perception nor prediction magic, but is a mental interference magic, and as ‘mental’ magic users are hypothesised to be closely linked with the ‘Akashic Record’, they possess exceedingly insightful intuition……although there are exceptions, such as me.
And for normal ppl that don t know what is akashic records
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akashic_records

So in a broad way doesn t this mean that with ES tatsuya has mental interference magic at least the connection to the ‘Akashic Record’, wich is a part of mental interference magic that miyuki doesn t have?
Diocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 06:10   Link #1375
solhaz

Quote:
I think the reason why Tatsuya has been made into Miyuki's guardian is due to his only remaining emotion from Tatsuya's operation, rather then his abilities.

After all ... Tatsuya,due to his love for Miyuki would be protecting Miyuki anyway ... even if he hadn't been made into a guardian.

Not to mention the whole Guardian system has another benefit ... of keeping Tatsuya within the clan, due to the fact that Guardians have to stay around their primary for the rest of their lives ... or until their primary releases them from their duties and I don't see Miyuki being capable of doing that.

Basically it can be thought as another chain that binds Tatsuya to the Yotsuba clan... which is also, the reason why I doubt that Minami is going to eventually replace Tatsuya... after all, there is nothing that prevents Miyuki from having two guardians, especially considering her position, as the next Yotsuba clan head...
I wonder if there're other reason for making Tatsuya as Miyuki guardian, maybe to prevent others using Tatsuya for their own gain; we see that even 101 battalion can borrow Tatsuya as long as his primary duty as Miyuki guardian wasn't obstructed. Maybe the other reason is to shut up the rest of the Yotsuba's members that wanted to lock tatsuya up.
solhaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 06:20   Link #1376
SoboSobo
Reader, thinker, Retard

Quote:

But being a guardian doesn't ensure tats will stay within the clan, just prevents other from trying to take him away, like other clans, the military etc.
Him being a guardian doesn`t ensure his loyalty, otherwise maya would not be scared of him turning against the yotsuba if the guardian position would be that solid, the only thing keeping him there is miyuki.

And miyuki will release him from the guardian duty, remember her goal is to see her brother get the recognition and respect he deserves, at least what myuiki thinks he deserves(which is a lot) and him remaining a guardian will not help with that.Why do you think miyuki wants to be the next head of yotsuba for the pleasure of it? no because it gives her the necessary power to achieve her goals. So when maya will decide and miyuki will be the next heir of the yotsuba we can expect a change in tatsuya status as well, probably a clan member like everyone in yotsuba.
Most likely that is why maya sent minami there to "learn" from tats how to be a guardian, maya knows what miyuki wants and she also knows the moment she will be the official heir of the clan she will be in a position to do that.
i think that is why maya holds off the decision to appoint an official heir, she is waiting for miyuki to be strong enough and have enough support in the clan that when she is the heir to be able to do what she wants without initiating a internal clan strife over her decision.
This is just my theory and it seems to fit the story we seen so far. I could be wrong thou.
Old 2014-04-29, 07:52   Link #1377
Chris38

Another (although smaller) portion of spoilers from @OnyxObsidian and @Dizzle from jcafe:

Spoiler for vol. 13 info:
Old 2014-04-29, 08:06   Link #1378
kusabireika
Seiso Academy Student
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to kusabireika
Quote:
Another (although smaller) portion of spoilers from @OnyxObsidian and @Dizzle from jcafe:

Spoiler for vol. 13 info:
Poor Miyuki's opponent

Still happy that Miyuki is MVP
And
His brother Tatsuya the OP Engineer and Strategist

My speculation on the last SC they will banned both of them because they overpower the opponent and other 8 schoola which make 1st high very op school by having both of them
Old 2014-04-29, 08:50   Link #1379
Jirachier

About Maya saying that she hopes Tatsuya can lay low for at least half a year, do you guys think Tatsuya's identity will somehow be exposed after that ?
I would really love for that to happen because it opens a lot of possibilities plot-wise(people sent to kill him, seeing how his classmates will react to it, the countermeasures the military will put in place, etc) But unfortunately I don't think the author will do so up until the absolute end of the series.
Old 2014-04-29, 08:51   Link #1380
Chris38

More spoilers from @OnyxObsidian:

Spoiler for info vol. 13: