AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2012-06-13, 07:11   Link #1
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Hanafuda Cards (Koi-Koi and Variations)

Look familiar? It's the epic game of Koi-Koi played to save the world in Summer Wars!

Really really love how there's a dedicated Japanese Mahjong thread on this forum. I thought I would add to this love for strategy games by making one for Hanafuda cards and the games involved with them.

Koi-Koi is one of the most popular games involved with Hanafuda cards, and it is overall a game of calculated risks and strategy. The one who pays attention and takes the best actions involving the risks and collecting of cards will come out on top.

To help anyone who is interested in Koi-Koi (or even a bit of Hwatu/Go-Stop, the Korean variation), I have written a full article to overview how the game is played here.

And here is a link to an online flash version of Koi-Koi that you can play against computer for practice.

So, what do you think of the game(s)? What are some of your best results while playing? Feel free to ask questions and share!
Old 2012-06-13, 20:11   Link #2
cranston

I've known about Hanafuda for maybe 10 years now, but I've ever only played against computers. (Never did bother asking if anyone I work with knew how to play.) My first exposure to it was via the remake of Sakura Taisen, which included games of Hanafuda as mini-games, and bonus/extra game. I found Hanafuda really fun from the get-go.

Haven't played any Hanafuda for a while now. Last time was when it appeared as one of the gambling den games in the Yakuza/Ryu no Gotoku series.
cranston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 20:24   Link #3
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
When Natsuki plays Hanafuda to win the accounts back is one of my favorite scenes of Summer Wars.

That said, no matter how many times I watch the movie, I still have NO clue what the purpose of the game is or how to play it. @_@

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 20:58   Link #4
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranston View Post
I've known about Hanafuda for maybe 10 years now, but I've ever only played against computers. (Never did bother asking if anyone I work with knew how to play.) My first exposure to it was via the remake of Sakura Taisen, which included games of Hanafuda as mini-games, and bonus/extra game. I found Hanafuda really fun from the get-go.

Haven't played any Hanafuda for a while now. Last time was when it appeared as one of the gambling den games in the Yakuza/Ryu no Gotoku series.
Yeah, it's definitely hard to find people who are willing to sit down and learn the game. It's a shame too, because it becomes a really great thinking game and just plain old fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
When Natsuki plays Hanafuda to win the accounts back is one of my favorite scenes of Summer Wars.

That said, no matter how many times I watch the movie, I still have NO clue what the purpose of the game is or how to play it. @_@
That's one of my favourite scenes as well. Definitely check out the basics article I posted; it's a really enjoyable game altogether. Good thing about Hanafuda- it's relatively easy to learn, but deep enough to be difficult to master.

P.S. Psst, I'm totally playing against the computer right now.
Old 2012-06-14, 00:52   Link #5
FateAnomaly

That scene is what caught my attention to this game too.
I tried playing but i just could not remember the scoring combinations and their points. I had to open a scoring list in another window to do so. I also don't fare very well even against the computer.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 00:55   Link #6
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I'm thinking of making a sort of live commentary playthrough against the computer sometime in the near future, so for anyone that's interested, I'll probably post that up here when I can get to it.

I'll try and include some basic rules, strategy and demonstration through example, so it'll be easier to pick up.
Old 2012-06-14, 01:52   Link #7
kona~chan
ヘタレ

i know koi koi but completely blank with other variant it would be great if you include them as well
kona~chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 02:15   Link #8
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona~chan View Post
i know koi koi but completely blank with other variant it would be great if you include them as well
Tell you what, if I can find a way to get some hwatu (go-stop) footage as well, I'll talk about that one too. I actually own some real hwatu cards but nobody in real life aside from my parents will play with me.

Either way, I'll do my best.
Old 2012-06-14, 20:13   Link #9
cranston

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I tried playing but i just could not remember the scoring combinations and their points. I had to open a scoring list in another window to do so. I also don't fare very well even against the computer.
While I know which cards are needed to win any one hand, I don't remember the exact scores either. (Even in poker, I don't remember the ranking sequence for full house, straights, flush, and 4 of a kind.) Which is why I also need to refer to a scoring list. Especially useful if I'm behind in points and need to plan a comeback. It's not a big deal really, unless you don't want to come off as a noob.
cranston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 18:52   Link #10
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranston View Post
While I know which cards are needed to win any one hand, I don't remember the exact scores either. (Even in poker, I don't remember the ranking sequence for full house, straights, flush, and 4 of a kind.) Which is why I also need to refer to a scoring list. Especially useful if I'm behind in points and need to plan a comeback. It's not a big deal really, unless you don't want to come off as a noob.
That's the nice thing about Koi-Koi, you sort of adapt and just know which hands score highest after playing enough.

Last edited by Hiroi Sekai; 2012-12-09 at 04:08.
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 19:05   Link #11
_eternal
anthem core

Send a message via AIM to _eternal
Sorry to necro but does anyone know if it's possible to play this online with friends? I've played in person a couple of times but only at cons.
Old 2013-06-17, 04:24   Link #12
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I only know the Korean version of this. Go-Stop or Godori is what it's called.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanafuda, hwatu, koi-koi, strategy