AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-09-03, 16:31   Link #1261
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Apparently the JP Wikipedia user Tom Toyosaki is a Tari Tari fan. A screencap from Sawa's scanning scene in episode 6 is now used on the page for Tomography. (English version) Personally, I can see why it's used. P.A. did a good job showing how one looks when getting a scan.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 16:57   Link #1262
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Edit: Also, to be clear, I think that Konatsu suffers a bit from in-group contrast. She's probably the most flighty of her group of friends, but that's because all four of them are intensely committed in their own ways.
Not really the four of them though. Remember when they were brainstorming ideas for the festival? Everyone proposed ideas related to their respective passions, but Wakana's proposal was a neko-café.

That brings home an important aspect of Wakana's character. She sings because that connects her to her mother, but on a personal level I don't think she is as passionate about it as Konatsu is. In fact I don't think Wakana has any strong passion at all.

Well, she likes cats and coffee. lol

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-09-03 at 17:32.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 17:06   Link #1263
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Well, she used to be quite serious about it. She's only slowly coming back to it.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 17:38   Link #1264
Kazu-kun

Just some cute Wakana pics

Old 2012-09-03, 20:56   Link #1265
Liddo-kun
is this so?

large
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

fanart

Images
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 21:00   Link #1266
Midonin
Last Engage

Images
Not as much Shoutenger fanart as I hoped (ie. this is the only piece.)
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 02:10   Link #1267
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I find putting a starfish in one's mouth quite unhygienic...
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 02:37   Link #1268
Gohan78
Awakened One

Sorry but the whole chase scene was completely unbelievable.
I don't know about Japan but here in Italy purse snatchers ride motorbikes/scooters and wear a helmet to hide their identity.
Then we have Wien being able to outrun a bicycle. He should have been out of breath by the time he reached the snatcher. Instead, after taking a couple of punches, he suddenly starts singing the Ganbarangers theme song!
My reaction was the same as the thief's: who the heck is this crazy guy!?

Wien as a character was not developed at all. He is just this perfect white knight. They never explained why he loves sentai so much. If this is the whole of Wien's arc, I must say I'm disappointed.
I expect the show to get back to Jan's situation in the end. There is no way a feel-good show like TT would leave that plot unresolved.

Thankfully not all of the episode was bad. We had a nice dialogue between Wakana and Nao, who is starting to show cracks in her ice queen shell.
Let's get back to the interesting characters, P.A. Works, please.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 03:05   Link #1269
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
To be fair, that purse snatcher didn't strike me as being all that great at riding a bike. He was a pretty low-grade thief, really.

Plus, it's clear that Wien is in pretty good shape, and is considerably athletic.

But I'll grant you that, in retrospect, it might have been better if Wien himself had grabbed a bike from someone in order to pursue the thief. But then, that would have been a "slightly less GAR for a bit more realism" tradeoff. Sometimes I think it's better to kick reason to the curb and embrace the campy silliness (TTGL comes to mind here for me ).

Quote:
Instead, after taking a couple of punches, he suddenly starts singing the Ganbarangers theme song!
My reaction was the same as the thief's: who the heck is this crazy guy!?
Maybe that was the whole point - Wien started singing to try to psyche out the thief until more help could arrive. If so, it looks like his plan worked.

And by the time Tanaka got there, it was game over for the thief anyway, so why not keep singing? The thief wasn't going to be able to take Wien and Tanaka, that's for sure.

Quote:

Wien as a character was not developed at all. He is just this perfect white knight. They never explained why he loves sentai so much.
Wien isn't a character without flaws. We've repeatedly seen how gullible he can be, for example. But his character is that of a totally sincere white knight, and I don't see any problem with that. To tell you the truth, I prefer this take on the white knight over what we have over in Kokoro Connect...

Also, why does Wien need a specific reason for loving sentai? Isn't it obvious why some people love sentai? The concept of the hero has obvious, self-evident appeal. People generally like heroes. Sure, most people don't take it as far as Wien does, but it's hardly strange for a guy to like costumed heroes. It's not really something that needs to be explained. Does Sawa's love of horses need to be explained? She just enjoys riding on them, that's all. Likewise, Wien just loves the concept of the hero.
Old 2012-09-04, 04:17   Link #1270
novalysis

There needs to be a series starring Wien as a Shounen Hero. Seriously. Fund it . Now

Honestly speaking, Wien is miles better than the vast majority of Male Protagonist this season, and possibly, for most of this year and beyond, with this one Episode of amazing GAR.

Speaking of which, here's a potentially heretical thought. Imagine if Wien was the star of a Harem Show.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 04:24   Link #1271
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

I new Wein had all he needed to be a great character since they showed his childish naivety which is one of my favourite traits. Definitely one of my favourite characters this season just falling short of Houtarou Oreki for me.
Old 2012-09-04, 04:38   Link #1272
Blaat

Quote:
It was, it lasted too long and the final part in which they all started to sing the super sentai song was way too ridiculous. The earlier chase scene in episode three IIRC was much better I only had to suspend my belief on the convenient taxi.

The rest of the episode was good though shame about that final part.
Old 2012-09-04, 07:13   Link #1273
Arya

I guess that part was not intended to be realistic at all. I think it was a homage to the old musical movies and a glimpse on what will come, in relation on what their club intend to do next, a musical.

Speaking of the episode I liked it as always, except, I have to admit, the very last part. But I didn't like Wien in the first place nor power rangers nor old musical movies, so probably it's simply because of that Even if, until the end of the episode, I was able to enjoy him, but the very end was a bit over the top, far beyond Sawa going to school with her horse.
I really liked Wakana's parts. PA is doing a splendid work in dealing with the drama. Oh, and Sawa's mum is awesome, like her daughter

About Wakana I tend to agree with Kazu-kun about her passion for music, she sings because that connects her to her mother. We have always seen her playing music with her mother, so it difficult to know if she really was passionate or was simply mimicking her mother. And they even hinted that she could be interested in going to an arts college. I think first she needs to complete their song to step forward. In which direction is not predictable, music, art or whatever doesn't matter.

Instead talking about Konatsu, yep "frivolous" should have been the right word to describe her, if it were not for the negative connotation it implies. So I wouldn't use it, but it's quite near the idea I had of her in the first episodes. For that reason I didn't like her back then. I like her a lot now, btw.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.

Last edited by Arya; 2012-09-04 at 07:50.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 08:37   Link #1274
Otani-kun
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
I actually really liked the part where they all sang the theme song.

Who cares if it's a bit ridiculous?
Otani-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 08:47   Link #1275
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otani-kun View Post
I actually really liked the part where they all sang the theme song.

Who cares if it's a bit ridiculous?
well.. that part shows the consistency of this anime...
this is a chorus anime...

I like that part
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 09:23   Link #1276
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
To be fair, that purse snatcher didn't strike me as being all that great at riding a bike. He was a pretty low-grade thief, really.
In the first place he shouldn't try to steal a purse on a bike, during the day, and in plain view of the crowd.
Really, that thief was only a plot device to make Wien look good.

Quote:
Wien isn't a character without flaws. We've repeatedly seen how gullible he can be, for example.
Except that this supposed "flaw" just makes his character more endearing to the viewers.
I wouldn't call him a Gary Stu -he is way too irrelevant for that- but... he is just too plain.
He has no conflict and his only problem (not being able to contact Jan) is ridiculous compared to the others.

Quote:
Also, why does Wien need a specific reason for loving sentai?
Because it's a fiction. When the writers give a peculiar quirk to a character, I expect that it will be explored, unless it's intended as pure comedy.
Don't you feel an unbalance between the male and female characters in TT?
The girls' problems were treated seriously, while Tanaka was given half an episode to shine and Wien is a big joke.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 09:35   Link #1277
Nico87

Heh, I must say that the bicycle chase thing was kinda cool. It's obviously not meant very seriously and is kind of a parody/homage scene. It's a good thing that the writers feel that they can take the freedom to do this kind of thing, for me anyway. It doesn't really try to take itself too seriously with regards to that scene.

I felt that it fits really well with the whole sentai thing. I mean, a sentai wouldn't pick up a random bike and start chasing, he'd just go ahead and do what it takes, like Wien does in this scene.
I also don't think that it's a scene that should, or needs to be, analyzed, or at least I don't think that's what the writers intended. Just take it for what it is

The first BD volume should ship any day now, can't wait! The box that comes with vol. 2 is gorgeous!
Nico87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 09:41   Link #1278
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
In the first place he shouldn't try to steal a purse on a bike, during the day, and in plain view of the crowd.
Really, that thief was only a plot device to make Wien look good.
Yeah, I agree with you here. The thief is like an unnamed gangster in a superhero comic - He's there to give the hero somebody to defeat.

But I'm entirely cool with that, since I doubt a more serious villain would work in a show like this one.

Quote:
Except that this supposed "flaw" just makes his character more endearing to the viewers.
I wouldn't call him a Gary Stu -he is way too irrelevant for that- but... he is just too plain.
He has no conflict and his only problem (not being able to contact Jan) is ridiculous compared to the others.
Well, he did have the problem of trying to fit in with the rest of the group. For the longest time, Wien was just kinda there, and you had the sense that none of his friends were taking him seriously at all. Well, the Wien arc has changed that, I think. Wien's new friends now know more about him - They know just how passionate he is about sentei heroes, and they know a bit about his personal history in Europe. And they know that the guy went all-out to successfully get Konatsu's bag back (which contained her most prized possession, the autographed Condor Queens album). I'm sure that has endeared Wien to his new friends, so he'll be more a full part of the group now.

Quote:
Because it's a fiction. When the writers give a peculiar quirk to a character, I expect that it will be explored, unless it's intended as pure comedy.
Don't you feel an unbalance between the male and female characters in TT?
The female characters do get the more serious issues and/or focus, admittedly. But at least the ensemble cast now feels like an actual ensemble cast to me, and not just three important girls and their two male hanger-ons.

Given what the modern anime world is like, this is probably the best we could hope for.

In the end, I get why some people didn't like the final scene of this episode. It's pure camp, and I find that camp is pretty polarizing. Personally, I usually love camp so I loved that final scene. It's the most GAR moment I've seen in anime in a long time.
Old 2012-09-04, 11:34   Link #1279
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think the term "suspension of disbelief" was coined for this episode. I just look at the whole ep as one big croque monsieur - ham and cheese. I liked the first scene with the Shoprangers better than the last, but I think that last scene was so unrealistic that it crossed the line into parody and homage - like a Bollywood film where everyone breaks into a giant musical number at the end.

This wouldn't have worked for every show. For Tari Tari? If the shoe fits...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 12:05   Link #1280
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think the term "suspension of disbelief" was coined for this episode. I just look at the whole ep as one big croque monsieur - ham and cheese. I liked the first scene with the Shoprangers better than the last, but I think that last scene was so unrealistic that it crossed the line into parody and homage - like a Bollywood film where everyone breaks into a giant musical number at the end.

This wouldn't have worked for every show. For Tari Tari? If the shoe fits...
It certainly was amusing: after getting hit in the face, Wien's first reaction, to sing, comes off as a little unrealistic to me (most people would probably return a few hits of their own or run away). The thief's utter shock and confusion at the appearance of the others might be justified: he is probably as surprised as we were

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico87 View Post
Heh, I must say that the bicycle chase thing was kinda cool. It's obviously not meant very seriously and is kind of a parody/homage scene. It's a good thing that the writers feel that they can take the freedom to do this kind of thing, for me anyway. It doesn't really try to take itself too seriously with regards to that scene.

I also don't think that it's a scene that should, or needs to be, analyzed, or at least I don't think that's what the writers intended. Just take it for what it is
I couldn't have said it better myself! For Tari Tari, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief and simply enjoy the moment.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, music, original anime, pa works