AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-08-04, 11:56   Link #1041
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

If Einhart have that much troubles facing Corona i'm pretty convinced that Sieglinde will mop the floor with her xD

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 12:47   Link #1042
Justin_Brett

I guess just being able to throw rocks around is a side effect of the whole golem thing.

Hopefully Corona won't completely overshadow Einhart just because she got first blood.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 12:52   Link #1043
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I'm not sure it's a side-effect. After all, we've got Nanoha able to do the same thing with Stardust Fall, and that's apparently a complicated spell... so that just makes what Corona's doing all the more impressive.
Old 2011-08-04, 13:02   Link #1044
Justin_Brett

Eh. If you can make a statue that can shoot its arm out on your command, I doubt it's much of a stretch to just take out the middleman.
Old 2011-08-04, 16:53   Link #1045
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I'm not sure it's a side-effect. After all, we've got Nanoha able to do the same thing with Stardust Fall, and that's apparently a complicated spell... so that just makes what Corona's doing all the more impressive.
The thing with that is we see Nanoha take rocks from other places. Corona materializes them out of nothing.

Anyways, it's not unusual to have a character do well at first only to have them defeated in the end. Gives them a chance to show what they can do before they're eliminated.
Old 2011-08-11, 07:56   Link #1046
Jimmy C

Got to read ch27 in Chinese. They shed more light on the tech behind the tournament. It seems that, altough the contestant can't really injure each other with magic attacks, there's a physical injury simulator running during the matches to give the contestants the realistic sensation of suffering when they hurt each other hard enough!
Get hit hard enough and the system determines the amount pain you ought to feel in the appropriate body part. Get hit harder and feel the sensation of broken bones and loss of limb usage!
Get slashed and suffer a bleeding wound? Not only pain, but gradual loss of Life Points and eventually conciousness as well.
And since it's all simulated, it's all ok after the match.
You know, if the DSAA has this for sporting events, the Bureau ought to have it for their own training programs as well.
Speaking of the Harri-Els match, it seems like Els has trouble thinking outside the box due to her rules-bound nature, but Harri outthought her and used her own attacks to defeat her.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 10:16   Link #1047
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Hmm, this chapter began the sinking feeling that this is going to get boring soon for me real soon. I mean, yeah the fights are cool and all... but they're missing a good plot to drive them. There's no real mystery, no real goal beyond 'try to win.' It's just... well... another tournament manga.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 11:00   Link #1048
Zero Hurricane
I'm here for the reason..

Send a message via Yahoo to Zero Hurricane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Hmm, this chapter began the sinking feeling that this is going to get boring soon for me real soon. I mean, yeah the fights are cool and all... but they're missing a good plot to drive them. There's no real mystery, no real goal beyond 'try to win.' It's just... well... another tournament manga.
Yeah, another typical tournament arc like Dragon Ball or Naruto's Chuunin Exam Third Phase.

But if you want a more seriousness, why not hope that one day in the middle of Inter Middle Tournament, there are going to riot, and the Mage unite to stop the source of the problem? I mean, just like in the Invasion in Konoha incident.
Old 2011-08-11, 11:09   Link #1049
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Why are these pointless tournaments so popular in mangas, anyway?
Old 2011-08-11, 11:20   Link #1050
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Because it's cool to have a good excuse to pit heroes agianst other heroes in a fight XD

Sadly, we don't have a military tournament where all the old cast can exchange blows, cause that would be awesome xD!

So far ViVid is ok for me, i'm not dying of love for this manga but i like the expansion of side characters and while the fights are pretty generic the variety of magic styles mantain those fresh and entertaining. Most of the new characters can't catch to me because they are too many new faces so i really read ViVid to watch what happen to the old cast.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 11:38   Link #1051
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Hurricane View Post
Yeah, another typical tournament arc like Dragon Ball or Naruto's Chuunin Exam Third Phase.
At least the chuunin exam arc had several plotlines running alongside it. You had Orochimaru slithering in the background, the mystery surrounding Gaara, the Neji/Hinata conflict, this kept things interesting. Also, the tournament had a clear goal: advancing to chuunin, which meant Naruto would be one step closer to his life's goal.

This tournament? Not so much. Yeah, there's the 'why did Sieg drop out last year?' but that's more of a question than an actual mystery. More so, winning doesn't seem to accomplish any goals. Even Einhart's goal doesn't really catch anything here, though it also doesn't help that the definition of achieving that goal are pretty vague. Heck, the cast isn't even in the mindset of winning to begin with. They're in the mindset of "let's see how far we get."

So yeah, no plot, no real goals... I hope something comes in to spice things up soon.
Old 2011-08-11, 12:59   Link #1052
Justin_Brett

Whenever you think a tournament is just going to be a tournament in a shonen series is when some spanner comes into it.

And damn, that's kinda brutal for something ten year olds can enter.
Old 2011-08-11, 13:04   Link #1053
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Consider for a moment though, that these ten year olds can do that kind of damage for real too.
Old 2011-08-11, 13:12   Link #1054
Justin_Brett

Yeah, but most of the older members are probably going to be more experienced with dealing with it than little kids, especially ones who are there for the first time.

Did Nove know about this? Don't recall her mentioning it before.
Old 2011-08-11, 13:25   Link #1055
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

If the kids are of a level that they can survive the prelims, then they are of a level that they can handle that kind of stuff. If you can do that kind of damage, it generally means you've been practicing with or against people who can do so as well.

And I'm pretty sure these kinds of things are in the standard available-for-everyone rules, so Nove would have known about it. Heck, Megane fought in this tournament before and was still excited about it.
Old 2011-08-11, 13:48   Link #1056
Justin_Brett

Eh, I guess. Still kind of skews it toward veterans, but that's the point.

And wait, does this mean you can't actually physically break someone's arm, or could that theoretically happen, causing them to experience the pain of it twice?
Old 2011-08-11, 14:10   Link #1057
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
does this mean you can't actually physically break someone's arm, or could that theoretically happen, causing them to experience the pain of it twice?
The tournament safety protocols probably prevent true physical injury.
As far as simulated injuries go, yes, you can suffer multiple breaks on the same bone, just like in real life. That in fact did happen to Harri during her match with Els. By round 3, her right arm was broken in 2 places.
And on the bright side, if this were a tournament in almost any other manga, those would have been real, physical injuries.
And of the contestants, Rio, Vivio and Lutecia did read the rules, so they know about the simulation. Shanti, the nun, appears to have skipped that part of the guide and so didn't know about it until the other 3 told her.
Old 2011-08-11, 14:36   Link #1058
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Eh, I guess. Still kind of skews it toward veterans, but that's the point.

And wait, does this mean you can't actually physically break someone's arm, or could that theoretically happen, causing them to experience the pain of it twice?
Any tournament is skewed towards veterans. Experience tends to do that.

But this system is probably just introduced to have the drama that comes with mid-fight injuries without having the actual injuries, making it easier to handwave miraculous recoveries for the next round.
Old 2011-08-11, 14:42   Link #1059
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Plus magic and Device weaponry would make it far more possible for accidental death in tournaments without such safeguards in place, magic damage or no.
Old 2011-08-11, 15:00   Link #1060
Jimmy C

And just think of the possibility that Nanoha's been using it in her training for years already!

Tags
vivid