3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.25%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-04-21, 23:25   Link #241
pikachuwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
Watching Nutbladder's 11. Now I'm really pissed.

Spoiler:
Quote:
The entire reason he met Sayaka was because he was stalking Madoka to activate her inherent powers.
that was only in the current timeline we saw in the season

who knows, in past timelines where madoka wasnt so attractive Sayaka could have y'know, been just another battery for Kyubey?

and also your "ohmahgawd Madoka gets stupidsuperstrong instantly" argument has flaws

1) as stated before, Madoka DID show a general, if uneven power increase throughout the flashbacks in ep 10.

2) the huge leap between Madoka's powers in timeline 4 and the earlier timelines could be explained by teh simple fact that Timeline 4 MAY NOT HAVE TAKEN PLACE DIRECTLY AFTER THE PREVIOUS TIMELINE SHOWN (this goes for all the other timelines shown in ep 10)

As stated in ep 11, homura had gone through countless repetitions, making madoka stronger and stronger in the process. For all we know Homura could have repeated another 10,000,000 timelines in between timeline 3 and timeline 4 of ep 10
Old 2011-04-21, 23:26   Link #242
pikachuwei

and the gretchen of the current timeline is exponentially more powerful than the gretchen in timeline 4, current gretchen covered the entire planet.
Old 2011-04-21, 23:26   Link #243
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Quote:
Watching Nutbladder's 11. Now I'm really pissed.

Spoiler:

What gave you the idea that Kyubey was specifically interested in Madoka in the original timeline? There was no indication as far as I could tell that she was anything but an average Magical Girl through the first 1-3 timelines. It wasn't until timeline 4 that she showed any kind of special power beyond what was within the realm of normal variance. Now if you're referring to the timeline that the main story encompasses then yes, Kyubey being particularly interested in Madoka is an important plot point but it's also justified at that point given how many times Homura has looped.
Old 2011-04-21, 23:30   Link #244
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post

No. There are plenty of other magical girls. Homura is not alone. You see Kyoko and Mami. The system is still in place. They just no longer turn into witches. Unless the twist is they turn into demons now. I kid, I kid. About the turning into demons part.
While yes Kyoko and Mami reappear, after you watch the credits, it shows Homura in a desert (post-apocalyptic?) seemingly all alone, fighting the demons. While there may be still other Puella Magi, the scene seems to imply that Homura is the only one left.
Old 2011-04-21, 23:31   Link #245
pikachuwei

^OR homura was just fighting demons in a desert. XD

i mean as long as the human race exists, kyubey and co will be able to contract more MGs so homu dying isnt that bad.

and if the human race went extinct there wouldnt be demons, as they are born from the accumulated grief of humans.
Old 2011-04-21, 23:32   Link #246
Makender
Varsity Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I suppose that's how it's supposed to be interpreted, though it would seem to negate Madoka transcending space and time for all eternity taking on all that grief and despair. Meh. Not gonna let this take away from a great series. I'm sure even a generic shonen-like Magica spinoff will be better than 9/10th of what is aired these days anyways.
Well Madoka didn't wish for grief and despair to be entirely negated. She just wished that witches should never be born in the future or past, thus changing the system, and having the direct of effect of relieving all magical girls of their burden (grief/despair).

Although this now makes me wonder what a wish of no grief and despair in the world would accomplish. I suppose witches would continue to exist from depletion of magic, but I also think they're a direct result of accumulated grief and despair. Bleh its too complex to think if that would better change the system or not.

Makender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:33   Link #247
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Yea that makes sense but then that raises another question. If everything got reset then how did Homura get to this new world without her time space powers? If she was reborn in the new world with her memories then does that mean she turned back in a normal girl but contracted again to protect the world? Since witches don't exist but curses still do then does that mean Madoka have no jurisdiction over this new world?
Let me see if I can word this differently...Remember Homura's original wish was to go back in time to protect Madoka, However since Madoka transcended to god hood and has become part of the universe itself the nature of Homura's wish and powers have also changed. This means that Homura is no longer has the power of a time traveler but a kind of lets say an angel whos powers are strong enough to protects the universe wherever it's needed.
Old 2011-04-21, 23:33   Link #248
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Now, I've been a fan of this genre since... Sailor Moon came out.

My thoughts on this, is that this is by far the best of the mahou shoujo genre that I have seen in years. The ending was actually very good, and also keeps it somewhat open. This anime is going to be ranked high in my list among other mahou shoujo animes I've enjoyed watching in the the past couple decades. The characters were likeable, the animation was unique and artistic in some ways. And, the story was much different than what I've seen in other mahou shoujo series.
Spoiler:
octoberasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:34   Link #249
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
well played QB, should you not warn Madoka that without magic girls humanity would still live in caves, she could have made a wilder wish (say for his race to disappear, or infinite energy, or for everyone to be happy and content, etc).

Anyway, at least she sacrificed herself (Jesus-style), redeeming herself for all the inaction and angst during the main time-line

Oh! and Homura just got pawned for remembering Madoka, therefore unable to benefit from her sacrifice, unlike Kyouko, and Mami... speaking of which, why did she survive, her death was not because of Madoka

Overall, very good ending, and show, storytelling and pacing were excellent, and I don't see any gaping plot-holes... well except Mami, but I might have missed something.

PS: How the Hell people can say that this was a "deus ex machina" ending!? There was an 11-episode built-up to Madoka's wish and deification!!!
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:35   Link #250
J the Drafter

To be honest, the ending was disappointing to me. The situation got resolved not through Madoka's effort and will, but by manipulation of a narrative device that could by nature handle anything asked of it. I wanted Madoka (and Homura) to gain their ending by working for it, especially since wishes were built up as things that can have no happy outcome. I still like the show, and I'm grateful for the precedent it's set for the magical girl genre, but I wanted a better ending.
Superman: “You know what, Ein? Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And on my soul, I swear — until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share — I'll never stop fighting. Ever.”

“Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom” and “Superman vs. the Elite”

(Mostly accurate dialogue, but with a little editing to make it mesh better.)

Last edited by J the Drafter; 2011-04-21 at 23:40. Reason: Moved an idea to its own sentence.
J the Drafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:36   Link #251
pikachuwei

i think if people who have only watched the raws watched the subbed versions, a lot of the confusion will disappear

as for me im still a bit puzzled by Homura's new role (Wings??) in the end. Is she just another powerful Magical girl, or is she something more?

also, has 2Chan crashed yet? XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
well played QB, should you not warn Madoka that without magic girls humanity would still live in caves, she could have made a wilder wish (say for his race to disappear, or infinite energy, or for everyone to be happy and content, etc).

Anyway, at least she sacrificed herself (Jesus-style), redeeming herself for all the inaction and angst during the main time-line

Oh! and Homura just got pawned for remembering Madoka, therefore unable to benefit from her sacrifice, unlike Kyouko, and Mami... speaking of which, why did she survive, her death was not because of Madoka

Overall, very good ending, and show, storytelling and pacing were excellent, and I don't see any gaping plot-holes... well except Mami, but I might have missed something.

PS: How the Hell people can say that this was a "deus ex machina" ending!? There was an 11-episode built-up to Madoka's wish and deification!!!
mami was killed by a witch. Madoka's wish removed the existence of witches hence mami didnt die

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-04-21 at 23:51. Reason: Let's be mindful of the double-posting when just editing your post is sufficent.
pikachuwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:38   Link #252
Elestia

After the amount of hype and tension surround the ending, I felt that the finale of the series was a bit underwhelming. That is not to say the ending wasn't satisfied in a conclusive manner, but the overall emotional impact wasn't too heart wrenching or sad really. Although, Madoka's wish does help give Magical Girls the end they desire, which is not regretting their wishes. All the magical girls ended up dieing/disappearing to maintain their own personal beliefs and will. It's the bittersweet ending I had really hoped for to end the series.

QB seemed become much more tolerable considering she hanging around with Homura, thanks to the rearrangement of the universe.

Not too happy with how Sayaka ended up. Both Kamijou and Hitomi can go die in a fire for all I care, worst childhood friend and "girl" friend ever.

On a last note, anyone catch in the very end of the final episode, where Homura starts growing some cosmic shadow wings behind her back, that there were some of the strings of fate being being broken, referenced by QB previously?
Elestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:39   Link #253
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachuwei View Post
mami was killed by a witch. Madoka's wish removed the existence of witches hence mami didnt die
And...
Spoiler:
octoberasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:39   Link #254
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
as for me im still a bit puzzled by Homura's new role (Wings??) in the end. Is she just another powerful Magical girl, or is she something more?

I'll just quote darkwind because it makes a lot of sense to me

Quote:
Remember Homura's original wish was to go back in time to protect Madoka, However since Madoka transcended to god hood and has become part of the universe itself the nature of Homura's wish and powers have also changed. This means that Homura is no longer has the power of a time traveler but a kind of lets say an angel whos powers are strong enough to protects the universe wherever it's needed.
Old 2011-04-21, 23:39   Link #255
pikachuwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by J the Drafter View Post
To be honest, the ending was disappointing to me. The situation got resolved not through Madoka's effort and will, but by manipulation of a narrative device that could by nature handle anything asked of it, especially since every other wish ended in despair. I wanted Madoka (and Homura) to gain their ending by working for it. I still like the show, and I'm grateful for the precedent it's set, but I wanted a better ending.
The situation DID get resolved by Madoka's will in a way, Madoka had to have the will to resign herself to an eternity of saving MGs in infinite timelines and such. Basically like Homu's timeloops but worse. She also had to be ready to be erased from existance, remembered by none of her loved ones except Homura. That requires a lot of determination
Old 2011-04-21, 23:39   Link #256
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I'm satisfied with the ending myself. However since I have a deadline tomorrow I don't feel like writing a lengthy post explaining why so I'll just expect people remembering my post style from the past and filling in the gaps.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:41   Link #257
Helmet-kun
Local Crackpot

This isn't the last we'll see of Homerun-chan. At least, with that sort of ending, we might see the cast (Fingers crossed for the whole cast) show up again for another season.

Though, I read some where (on here, too lazy to dig up post) that it might be a slice of life. I wonder how many people would watch that?
Old 2011-04-21, 23:41   Link #258
atua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makender View Post
Although this now makes me wonder what a wish of no grief and despair in the world would accomplish. I suppose witches would continue to exist from depletion of magic, but I also think they're a direct result of accumulated grief and despair. Bleh its too complex to think if that would better change the system or not.
Removing all despair and grief wouldn't be an ideal long term solution either. Cleansing demons, even after the removal of witches from the system, help solve QB's entropy issue, even if it's a much less efficient method than before.
atua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:42   Link #259
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

no grief and despair in the world = evagelion ending (original movie)
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:43   Link #260
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
The situation DID get resolved by Madoka's will in a way, Madoka had to have the will to resign herself to an eternity of saving MGs in infinite timelines and such. Basically like Homu's timeloops but worse. She also had to be ready to be erased from existance, remembered by none of her loved ones except Homura. That requires a lot of determination
And she was only able to make that wish because she had an incredible amount of power that she had because Homura repeated the timeline countless times instead of just giving up so I'd say she did some pretty hard work.

Tags
episode discussion, final episode thread, madoka magica