AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-10-30, 16:11   Link #21
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

WHAT in the goddamn hell
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 16:12   Link #22
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 16:12   Link #23
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Thrawn Trilogy was awesome back when it was the first new Star Wars project in about a decade. Thrawn was a good villain, and yet was not quite evil. At least not Sith Lord evil. He was clever and was playing from the underdog side of things. The once vast Galactic Empire, now forced to find ships and troops to fight the growing New Republic with only a quarter of its holding still left to the fallen Emperor's name. Most of the early 90s novels were all based around the Thrawn trilogy in one way or another. It kept the Star Wars EU into one nearly contained set of "canon" (unlike say Star Trek which until more recently, had novels going all over the place with no reference to each other outside a single author referencing their own works).

Stuff from the EU of the 90s have even made its way to television in the form of the Clone Wars. Characters, worlds, and other things show up from time to time. Thrawn has not, but he's not suppose to until after the Clone Wars anyway.
Old 2012-10-30, 16:13   Link #24
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Disney, you didn't disappoint with Avengers. Let's do the same with Star Wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
What's more farfetched? The Arc of the Covenant releasing all those whacky life draining spirits? Or a temple apparently built by aliens?
Personally, "The Arc of the Covenant releasing all those whacky life draining spirits" feels more "right" than aliens in Indy movies. Even Spielberg was so terrified by that idea but Lucas kept on pushing him until at one point Lucas basically said "Awright, they won't be aliens, but let's just say they're dimension travelers." Spielberg gave up at that point just to keep Lucas from pestering him further.

Btw, do you remember that terrible "monkey swing" in Indy IV? That's also came from Lucas.
Old 2012-10-30, 16:16   Link #25
Kyuu
=^^=

By the way:

Spoiler:

Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 16:17   Link #26
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Even Spielberg was so terrified by that idea but Lucas kept on pushing him until at one point Lucas basically said "Awright, they won't be aliens, but let's just say they're dimension travelers." Spielberg gave up at that point just to keep Lucas from pestering him further.
I aways find the interview where he talks about this pretty funny
Old 2012-10-30, 16:22   Link #27
Xion Valkyrie

They could always set it with the newer generation (Luke and Han's kids) and have the old actors reprise their roles as side characters so the age would work.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 16:25   Link #28
Kyuu
=^^=

Consider this:

Star Wars characters in the next Kingdom Hearts game.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 16:27   Link #29
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I don't see the big deal. It's not like Disney movies are inherently bad. If anything, it only irks me that they're continuing to number the franchise.
This.

It isn't "right" to call it Episode 7. This is clearly going to be a brand new franchise with a new plot and mostly new actors. By all means, call it Star Wars, but it makes no sense trying to force it into the 7th spot when no one really cares that much these days.
Old 2012-10-30, 16:27   Link #30
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Consider this:

It'd be a step up from the recent crop of terrible Star Wars games.
Old 2012-10-30, 16:28   Link #31
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That would be the later UE novels. Around the time of the Vong invasion or just afterwards, as that would be about the age of the actors at present.

I can't say if the three mains would do it. Mark Hamill might, not sure if Carrie Fisher would even consider it. Harrison Ford wanted Han Solo to die in Return of the Jedi, so I'm not sure if he'd enjoy playing the aged father of three Jedi who is still a rogue at heart and yet also hero of the Republic many times over.

Though if they followed the story about Chewbacca...the soul crushing/family breaking might be something. But that series was just darkness after darkness from novel to novel anyway.
Old 2012-10-30, 16:30   Link #32
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Consider this:

still waiting for my marvel world

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 16:31   Link #33
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
They could always set it with the newer generation (Luke and Han's kids) and have the old actors reprise their roles as side characters so the age would work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
That would be the later UE novels. Around the time of the Vong invasion or just afterwards, as that would be about the age of the actors at present.
I really hope they don't do those ones because to be honest I found most of the stories got worse the further into the future after RotJ we went.

Wonder what's the chance of just CGI movies? Would let the casts reprise their roles and I thought the Clone Wars show was good.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 16:31   Link #34
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wasn't Vader already in Kingdom Hearts...or was that some other game?
Old 2012-10-30, 16:33   Link #35
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Soul Calibur?
Old 2012-10-30, 16:34   Link #36
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I really hope they don't do those ones because to be honest I found most of the stories got worse the further into the future after RotJ we went.

Wonder what's the chance of just CGI movies? Would let the casts reprise their roles and I thought the Clone Wars show was good.
I stopped reading Star Wars novels around after Star by Star, partly because things wer getting too dark for me, I had too much else to do, and there were far too many novels coming out at once. I couldn't afford to keep up anymore. Wookiepedia solves most of the info dump things I need these days.

Quote:
Soul Calibur?
I think that was probably it.
Old 2012-10-30, 16:34   Link #37
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

Quote:
The Force Unleashed.
GoddyofAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 16:39   Link #38
Goggen

Quote:
The original trilogy is good because he's not directing it. When Lucas sits on the director chair, the result is Star Wars Prequels which are enjoyable as action movies but spits in the face of the original trilogy.
You do realize Lucas did direct the original Star Wars, right?

Quote:
Btw, Indiana Jones IV is also ruined because Lucas keep shoving his ridiculous ideas down Steven Spielberg's throat. Yes folks, that alien thing in Indy movie is one of Lucas' "genius" ideas.
You do realize Indiana Jones originated as one of Lucas' "genius" ideas, right?
Old 2012-10-30, 16:41   Link #39
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post

True. They also had a terrible case of DBZ powercreep. Luke was so powerful towards the end of his life that he was probably stronger than every single Jedi in the prequels combined and could destroy the Death Star with a single thought. That kind of power just wouldn't fit well with how toned down the force powers are in the movies.

I think if they're going to start fresh with a new trilogy for the new generation, they probably will set it in a timeline that's not directly related to the EU or a few hundred years after the EU. I'm thinking they might want to capitalize on Harry Potter's formula and the current teen/young movie craze so I could totally see something like the following happening:

Episode 7:
-Main characters are tween Jedi trainees at a Jedi training academy.
-Relative time of peace, but there are rumors of resurgent Sith.
-Love triangle between main lead and 2 love interests.
-Main character can use both light/dark side powers
-Jedi trainees go with their master to investigate Sith sightings on few planets.
-Sith kills their master and captures the trainees by the end, cliffhanger for episode 8.

Episode 8:
-Hunger games, but with the captured Jedis + sith trainees.

Last edited by Xion Valkyrie; 2012-10-30 at 17:08.
Old 2012-10-30, 16:44   Link #40
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
True. They also had a terrible case of DBZ powercreep. Luke was so powerful towards the end of his life that he was probably stronger than every single Jedi in the prequels combined and could destroy the Death Star with a single thought.

That kind of power just wouldn't fit well with how toned down the force powers are in the movies.
Which really annoyed me, especially after what Zahn wrote in The Hand of Thrawn duology. You know Luke understanding why Yoda and Obi Wan were the way they were and drastically cutting down his use of force to almost nothing. I know future writers in a non canon environment don't have to use what previous authors say but it made so much sense in context of the other books before it.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star wars