AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-04-22, 19:32   Link #1
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Question Install Linux, problem solved

Some people have been posting solutions to Windows tech problems to the effect of "Install Linux, problem solved". While they of course have good intentions, and I do hope that people will switch to Linux, a Windows support thread is not a place to evangelize, especially considering Linux installation is still a difficult process in many cases, and the switch requires much technical knowledge and hard work. People who have Windows problems most likely want them solved quickly so they can get back to work, not solved in the long run with a switch of entire operating systems.

I'd like to propose that the moderators edit out such things when they see them, because although the posts are well-meaning, they are not very on-topic in the thread, and they have a good possibility of starting a flame war thanks to *cough* CERTAIN OTHER PEOPLE.
Spoiler:

People who have the urge to post this sort of thing when replying to a tech support thread can either take it to the newly created Windows vs. Linux thread instead, or transform your minority love of Linux into the accepted, Internet-wide hatred of Windows with a pithy jab like "Windows sucks, doesn't it?"
Old 2004-04-22, 21:44   Link #2
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

I'm not going to respond to any of that here. Could you move that post to the Windows vs. Linux thread, please?
Old 2004-04-22, 22:53   Link #3
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3psi
and a one button mouse so you cant play any video games, darn.
hehe. yeah. My school actual has all microsoft mice for their Macs which I always found pretty funny.

I also agree with Ashibaka. I've seen many tech threads where someone comes in and sets up flame bait like "install windows" "get a real OS" or "Get Linux" when it doesn't relate to the tech thread.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 23:50   Link #4
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I admit I'm guilty to the above charges. Its just that switching to Linux was such a good thing for me, and even if someone gets their Window tech problem solved, they are probably going to have another problem in the next few days, and then one after that, and they will continue making virus help/adware threads in General Chat (instead of Tech Support, where all these threads should be going...). I'm just sick of seeing a Windows problem/new virus thread pop up in General Chat twice a week I guess.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 23:56   Link #5
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I'm inclined to agree with ashibaka. The next time I see a non-helpful "Switch to Linux" message, I'll probably just delete it since that just isn't a reasonable answer to the problem.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 16:48   Link #6
Yeti

I find that both operating systems have their advantages and problems.

It is almost comparable to the Coke and Pepsi choice , both are there to drink, its up to the drinker to decide

OS wars is like Pepsi vs Coke vs Dr Pepper wars... for the most pointless ranting. I have seen them on many other boards.

In the spirit of community ( something a message board is ) posters need to be more considerate of others. If I am driving a BMW and a guy in Mercedes had engine trouble and I knew what was wrong I am going to help him out not drive past shouting "Get your lame self a BMW! thats what your problem is!"

I agree with ashibaka
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 16:58   Link #7
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
I kind of disagree *covers scared* if someone wants to advice switching OS I think that is perfectly fine, there is nothing wrong with that IMO, you can argue that the problem is that the post in question would be a one liner but well, there are a lot of one liners...
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 17:14   Link #8
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
I kind of disagree *covers scared* if someone wants to advice switching OS I think that is perfectly fine, there is nothing wrong with that IMO, you can argue that the problem is that the post in question would be a one liner but well, there are a lot of one liners...
I think the problem is that people aren't asking for help or advice on switching their OS. They want to know how to fix the current problem on the OS they have, not be told "Get Unix/Linux!" or other such things that don't help them solve their immediate problem.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 17:41   Link #9
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
I think the problem is that people aren't asking for help or advice on switching their OS. They want to know how to fix the current problem on the OS they have, not be told "Get Unix/Linux!" or other such things that don't help them solve their immediate problem.
yes. very true.

like me asking how to fix my playonline browser and someone telling me to "get BF1942"

suggestions to get BF1942 are nice, but I really dont give a shit about BF1942/switching, or else i would have already done it.

glad ashibaka did the "reasonable"thing.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote