AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Midori no Hibi

Notices

Old 2004-05-01, 02:23   Link #341
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Ayase > 100000x Midori

And that's the truth!
can't agree more! Ayase RULEZ!!!!
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 07:03   Link #342
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm
Black hair is kinda ordinary as well ... probably more so in Japan than here.

Probably?
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 09:57   Link #343
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm
I for one assumed that Ayase was the "girl next door" as opposed to the magical girl Midori. So yeah, I guess she is drawn a bit that way. But brown hair in itself does not detract from prettiness. In Tenshi na Konamaiki the hero/ine has beautiful brown hair that takes the breath away from boys. Black hair is kinda ordinary as well ... probably more so in Japan than here.
Spoiler for Manga:
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 12:39   Link #344
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Th-... this isn't a magical girl show. There is no magical girl. BTW, my bad... I uh... misspelled LA... it'll be spelled correctly when it's added to the site's main archives ~_~;;

Anyway, Ayase's hair is brown in the manga. And people telling me that the anime screwed it up is getting more than a little bit annoying.

Spoiler for ch 49 color page (kinda big):

Spoiler for Lucy:
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 13:48   Link #345
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
Th-... this isn't a magical girl show. There is no magical girl. BTW, my bad... I uh... misspelled LA... it'll be spelled correctly when it's added to the site's main archives ~_~;;
I think he meant 'magical girlfriend'. You know: where the main guy will get a girlfriend out of nowhere. (Chobits for example) Doesn't mean the girl really has magic powers.
Old 2004-05-01, 14:12   Link #346
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

The girl next door as opposed to the magical girlfriend that pops up out of nowhere makes even less sense. And just FYI, that'd be like redefining a term on the spot without giving the new definition. The term 'magical girl' has a meaning, and Itlandm certainly appears to watch enough anime to know what that meaning is.
Old 2004-05-01, 16:22   Link #347
H2-FumoGuu
パンツ。。。好き

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackl
I wish they made Ayase's hair black instead of a kind of mundane brown. In the manga she looks stunning, in the anime she has more a mediocre look to her. But thats the whole manga>anime thing again.
Ayase has brown hair in the manga too. Look at the colored manga pics and u will see. It's just like Chidori in FMP. She has black hair in the manga but in reality she has always had blue hair.

Anyway I'm just glad Ayase didn't get turned into a red-head/light brunette like Aya (er maybe Maya i always get them confused) in TenTen.
H2-FumoGuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 19:33   Link #348
Itlandm
Porcupine

Well, it was just my early impression that Midori was supposed to be kinda magical and Ayase ordinary. (Ayase has normal proportions and a realistic hair color and a realistic personality, well in episode 1 it is. Midori is doll sized with bright green hair, appears out of nowhere with an unusual personality.)

After a while it becomes apparent that Midori's only magic power is to be two places at the same time, and Ayase becomes less trivial (in the manga at least ... which I regretfully had not read prior to watching the anime).

You must admit that when a girl appears on your hand suddenly, it is natural to suspect magic, and at the time I would not have been surprised if there had come more of it. But you're right, using the two word "magical girl" together does conjure the image of children's anime with ridiculously long transformation sequences and a girlish perspective. My bad.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 22:25   Link #349
Innotech

Im definitely oging to stick with htis one, if only to see how Midori ended up as Seijis hand in the firstp lace, but the real reason is because htis is a hilariously terrible idea for a show but executed in a comical and straitforward way, with osme great ideas and a minimum of fanservice. Its fresh, its interesting, and most of all it is entertaining enough to hook a viewer by the 2nd episode.
Innotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 00:09   Link #350
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

It doesn't just conjure the image...

But no... I never once suspected someone magically split Midori (or that she split herself) into two halves and turned one SD and added it to her crush's hand. In fact, the SD part of Midori was the first part of the show that pissed me off, since it has no correlating aspects to the manga, and thus wasn't needed and means nothing. Simply something to please the loli-cons.

On a side note, in the very very beginning I suspected a dream... but the more you watch it, the more that possibility becomes more and more far-fetched. The show revolves around the premise "girl becomes crush's right hand without any realistic (magical or conventional) explanation". It's simply better that way. In fact, they go to great lengths to make it 'just one of those things that has no explanation'.
Old 2004-05-02, 01:41   Link #351
sup12a
noob member

i wonder what could have possibly happened
sup12a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 03:07   Link #352
Itlandm
Porcupine

It's magic!

Anyway, is it just me, or does the first episode or two correlate strangely with the beginning of Pita Ten? Sure, the characters are now on the other side of puberty, but still ...

Boy is basically on his own. Girl appears by unnatural means and attaches to boy. Girl decides to help him at any cost, no matter how clueless she is. Boy is upset. Classmate is set up as obvious rival. Supporting cast is introduced. Hilarity ensues.

Perhaps it is as they say about novels, there are only a few good plots in the world... And this would be one of them, if they avoid dragging it to death.
Old 2004-05-02, 12:03   Link #353
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Actually, MnH has a terrible plot. It blows, really. There is absolutely no way any of this could happen. But it's a gag story, so that doesn't matter... kinda like Zushio, but... not as far-fetched.

And it's not magic. Geez...
Old 2004-05-02, 12:35   Link #354
Secca
nya`
*Artist

That! I got to see, if Zushio will be animated.

M.N. Zushio the animation. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 14:23   Link #355
Itlandm
Porcupine

OK, "plot" may be too grand a word for series like Midori no Hibi, Pita Ten or Happy World. It's more like, take this idea and run with it as far as you can. In Pita Ten and Happy World it's an angel which clings to the boy and he just can't get away from her. In MnH it's actually a normal girl, but that's not obvious until we find out that she actually has a life and a family elsewhere.

Magic, divine intervention ... it sure ain't surgery at least!

Anyway, the ending song is the best part of the anime, in my opinion.
Old 2004-05-02, 16:06   Link #356
a_nevels666

Quote:
Actually, MnH has a terrible plot. It blows, really. There is absolutely no way any of this could happen. But it's a gag story, so that doesn't matter... kinda like Zushio, but... not as far-fetched.

And it's not magic. Geez...
Just because it couldn't happen doesn't mean the plot is terrible. With that logic almost all anime have terrible plots. (Not that I think the plot is all that good though, but still, this show isn't even about the plot, it's just pure comedy.)

And it might be magic, we don't know what caused Midori to be on his hand.
(and IMO they're better off not trying to explain it...)
Old 2004-05-02, 21:45   Link #357
mah_damey

plz stop with all the spoiler links.. i cant help it.. i keep clicking on them
mah_damey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 23:20   Link #358
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Spoiler for why she's on his hand:

And if you wanna get technical, there is no plot to MnH. There's no goal that characters move towards with the general exception of the Midori/Seiji love thing. And that's not exactly a 'plot' as much as it's simple character developement through various interactions (ie, there's no underlying theme that pushes the characters together or apart or in the direction of resolution or conflict). Thus, the plot sucks. I still like it, but that doesn't mean it's literary genius, just that it's fun to read/watch.

And as long as they give us only 1 thread to talk in, there will be spoiler tags. Learn to enjoy them as much as I do.

Now, I finally got around to watching episode 5~

Spoiler for episode 5:
Old 2004-05-03, 00:54   Link #359
marin

Exactly, it's a comedy.

The overall story arc / plot is not what matters.

I mean, look at My Big Fat Greek Wedding (or insert your favorite comedy here, anime or not) for example. Absolutely completely unoriginal plot. So what?
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 13:10   Link #360
K_R
also known as K!

Quote:
And if you wanna get technical, there is no plot to MnH.
If you want to really get technical, Midori no Hibi has a plot...

narrative (story) - A chain of events in a cause-effect relationship occurring in time and space. A narrative is made up of all the events that we see and hear, plus all those that we infer or assume to have occurred, arranged in their presumed causal relations, chronological order, duration, frequency, and spatial locations. Opposed to narration, which is the show's actual presentation of certain events in the narrative.

narration (plot) - the process through which a show conveys or withholds narrative information, the way a story is told. Narration concerns the actual arrangement and presentation of the story in the show, the way in which the show distributes story information in order to achieve specific effects.

I guess a film degree is worth something...
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote