AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-15, 15:20   Link #3601
Midonin
Last Engage

Midonin's The Two iDOLM@STERs Comparison Diary
Week Twenty Six

Much later than I expected to do this, but leaving it incomplete would reflect poorly on me. Comparing a short series of vignettes with the end of a 26-episode serial is difficult to do, though the movie-within-a-show that most of the idols starred in in iM@S was much grittier than anything that happened in Xenoglossia, even if the latter had the end of the world as a plot point in its final episode. The common motifs of the stars were used to end both, but that's nothing particularly unique to either incarnation of the franchise. Which means overall comparisons should follow.

iM@S is more in the spirit of the games, and has way more characters, but the storyline isn't quite as serialized as Xenoglossia. The characters are really the central point of all this. Between the two shows, I find that those who have counterparts are largely similar in personality, in the broadest sense, with the two biggest deviations being Yayoi and Yukiho. Yayoi is either one of the least experienced members of the crew, or the most experienced idol on the show, and while Yukiho is calm in both iterations, her Xenoglossia version actually betrays people, which her mainline self is too timid to do.

Which one would I recommend? It depends on what kind of experience you're looking for. Xenoglossia, by placing Haruka front and center, is more of a traditional anime storyline, while iM@S has no true protagonist, not even the producer, and it's overall more episodic. Music is still integrated fairly well into Xenoglossia, all things considered, and the world setting does come up with some pretty interesting ideas, even if the science can be a bit iffy.

I don't know if I'll get to do another comparison like this again for two linked, yet wildly different, iterations of a franchise, but it's been fun.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 18:19   Link #3602
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

And it's finally complete *claps*
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 19:37   Link #3603
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Yay, rewatching eps 26 again...
The best part is still Karaoke chapter...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 22:35   Link #3604
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Time for me to watch it for the third time with the best subs.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 07:31   Link #3605
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Just watched it and still enjoyed the hell out of it. x3
Old 2012-08-16, 14:04   Link #3606
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

My iM@S 2 copy arrived this morning. Society may not see me for a few days.
Old 2012-08-16, 14:36   Link #3607
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
aw gawd. It's been nice knowing you. ;_;
Old 2012-08-16, 15:52   Link #3608
inisipis

Episode 26

Very enjoyable episode, entertaining and funny. This show is begging for a second season. Well, we can always hope.

Favorite part is the Sushi Kaiten segment. We finally get to see the epic duel between Studio 765 and Project Jupiter, and Takane won.
inisipis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 18:07   Link #3609
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Welcome to the P-san club.
Old 2012-08-16, 20:43   Link #3610
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Ok, good luck then...
Nice to know you...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 21:18   Link #3611
JohnNiles

Can't wait to see papermario's reaction when he gets the bad end.
JohnNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 22:01   Link #3612
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNiles View Post
Can't wait to see papermario's reaction when he gets the bad end.
With how badly I've been doing, I would not be surprised. The map is riddled with blue unimpressed faces. Is there like an English guide to this? I wanna stop seeing little girls be all unhappy and shiz.

Last edited by Hiroi Sekai; 2012-08-16 at 22:11.
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 22:35   Link #3613
JohnNiles

I assume you're referring to the faces that represent fan enthusiasm. I wouldn't worry too much about that- it's too much bother to get them all happy at the same time, so most people concentrate on one or two. It's the combination of fan numbers and fan enthusiasm that drives record sales.

There are guides- there's one on the Project Imas site- but for the most part, there are only a couple of spots where you can actually get stuck. I recommend that you save manually each week instead of relying on auto-save, and that you not save on the 53rd(?) week, the week before last, if you're feeling nervous about your prospects. You can get stuck with a negative reporter on the next to last week if you're not careful.

Oh yeah, which girls did you pick?
JohnNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 22:59   Link #3614
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNiles View Post
I assume you're referring to the faces that represent fan enthusiasm. I wouldn't worry too much about that- it's too much bother to get them all happy at the same time, so most people concentrate on one or two. It's the combination of fan numbers and fan enthusiasm that drives record sales.

There are guides- there's one on the Project Imas site- but for the most part, there are only a couple of spots where you can actually get stuck. I recommend that you save manually each week instead of relying on auto-save, and that you not save on the 53rd(?) week, the week before last, if you're feeling nervous about your prospects. You can get stuck with a negative reporter on the next to last week if you're not careful.

Oh yeah, which girls did you pick?
A'ight thanks, since my mild OCD was kicking in from that. Technically this is my "not serious" playthrough where I'm trying to just unlock stuff, but Miki's the leader, and Haruka and Yayoi are the members.
Old 2012-08-17, 06:03   Link #3615
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
With how badly I've been doing, I would not be surprised. The map is riddled with blue unimpressed faces. Is there like an English guide to this? I wanna stop seeing little girls be all unhappy and shiz.
I've personally been doing rather well with this guide. It's not perfect but should help you figure out what the regions on the map are at least

Actually my first playthrough (Haruka, Chihaya and Yaoi) felt pretty nice even if I didn't win anything. Acapella end. Now the second one (with the girls from Project Fairy) was the one I started actually doing it right. Got 2 regional awards and the big one. Felt nice (and puts the first troll by the twins on the special episode of the series in a different level but I won't spoil)
Old 2012-08-17, 13:07   Link #3616
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Thanks, that's the one I was referencing here and there, but I was mostly winging it with my limited knowledge of Japanese, experience in rhythm games and daily management sims. Don't know how much of an accomplishment is, but I believe on my 31st day and I've unlocked all of Ryuugu Komachi's members (including Ritsuko) and topped the chart once (and sequentially all of the other trophies under it as well). If I'm correct, I have to get into the extra episodes to unlock Nanairo Botan, but with these unlocks I think I already have SMOKY THRILL.
Old 2012-08-17, 13:24   Link #3617
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
On my first playthrough, it was Yayoi and Mami with Yukiho as leader. I was actually able to get the good end by getting the main award, and it wasn't until my third playthrough where I actually got my first true end with Miki as leader.

I would recommend that you do save at the end of your first playthrough so all your high scores the records of who got produced is recorded. You got nothing to lose anyway.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-17, 13:29   Link #3618
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Yeah, it's actually not too bad once you learn the ropes. One thing that's been driving me crazy since I got the game though...my DLC stuff doesn't show up in S4U. I'm sure I downloaded and installed them. I figured they might show up after a playthrough, so that's what I'm doing.
Old 2012-08-17, 13:32   Link #3619
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Yeah, it's actually not too bad once you learn the ropes. One thing that's been driving me crazy since I got the game though...my DLC stuff doesn't show up in S4U. I'm sure I downloaded and installed them. I figured they might show up after a playthrough, so that's what I'm doing.
btw did you download all the packs? Buying the DLC is just an activation key for the items already in the packs that you can download for free (but don't actually give you anything other than the ability to see the items when other people use them online).
Old 2012-08-17, 13:49   Link #3620
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
btw did you download all the packs? Buying the DLC is just an activation key for the items already in the packs that you can download for free (but don't actually give you anything other than the ability to see the items when other people use them online).
I swear I did, but I'll have a second look after I'm done with this playthrough, thanks. You're talking about the full packs next to the individual downloads in the store, right? I do have those, but maybe I didn't install them.

Tags
comedy, drama, idolmaster, musical, puchim@s