AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-30, 23:57   Link #941
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As Irenicus says, good food is quite available in many locales for reasonable prices -- even in suburbs. But we're talking about a population mass that isn't self-aware or conscious to some extent. Take a bunch of students and parents somewhere and when food comes up, the first damn thing out of their mouth is "McDonalds". I'll point out chinese, indian, japanese, thai, vietnamese, italian, even quiznos/subway... but .... the response is usually "wahh!!!! Its different!!!"

They've been too well-trained to head to the corporate trough.
Old 2008-10-31, 10:10   Link #942
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Well, the nice thing about fast food is that they're cheap, warm, and bland. Makes them consensual.

For example, I personally dislike Chinese, Indian, and Vietnamese food. Though I've never tried it, I'm wary of Thai, which I've heard is spicy. Find a guy who doesn't like Japanese and Italian food and doesn't want just a sandwich, and between the two of us we've eliminated all of your propositions...
Old 2008-10-31, 11:07   Link #943
Shadow Kira01

When it comes to fastfood, as long as you don't drink 2-3 liters of coke everyday with a 500+ calories meal, it should be alright. (p_^)
Old 2008-10-31, 15:11   Link #944
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Vexx touched on it a bit, but the main reason for the difference between the average weight of Europe and America is not what we eat, since many of the staple dietary items are congruent, but rather what is in what we eat. Good food can be had in America, but it'll likely take you three times as long to do your grocery shopping at first as you flip over and read the ingredients list of everything you reach for, put it back and continue to hunt for a suitable replacement. Because this steps so far out of the comfort zone for most people and it's generally more expensive, most people aren't inclined to pursue it. I tend to use scare tactics with people and point out clinical studies that been done on various food additives that are in their foods and give them personal horror stories like when I ate at the wrong Chinese place and couldn't eat for twelve hours as my stomach and GI tract spanked me vigorously for what I'd put in it whenever it comes up. You literally become ill if you ever try going back once you've begun eating healthy for an extended period.
Old 2008-10-31, 15:26   Link #945
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Doesn't that mean you eat too healthy?
Old 2008-10-31, 16:32   Link #946
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Vexx touched on it a bit, but the main reason for the difference between the average weight of Europe and America is not what we eat, since many of the staple dietary items are congruent, but rather what is in what we eat. Good food can be had in America, but it'll likely take you three times as long to do your grocery shopping at first as you flip over and read the ingredients list of everything you reach for, put it back and continue to hunt for a suitable replacement. Because this steps so far out of the comfort zone for most people and it's generally more expensive, most people aren't inclined to pursue it. I tend to use scare tactics with people and point out clinical studies that been done on various food additives that are in their foods and give them personal horror stories like when I ate at the wrong Chinese place and couldn't eat for twelve hours as my stomach and GI tract spanked me vigorously for what I'd put in it whenever it comes up. You literally become ill if you ever try going back once you've begun eating healthy for an extended period.
My wife and I as a rule avoid processed foods (except for cereal; we do eat Cheerios or some froufrou hippy elf twigs and bark). We make a hobby of shopping and avoiding the crap -- one thing we're noticing is that the Big Box grocery stores are exhibiting the following patterns over the last 10 years:
1) Shrinking baking aisle - more and more prefab crap and less components and gear. People have forgotten how to cook and when they want to learn, its hard for them to find the stuff and tools needed.
2) Alien Vegetable&Fruits from strange lands where they do unspeakable things to vegetables -- often unlabeled as to source; not local stock.
3) Reduced choice of particular items - one "brand" and one store-label... or just store-label.
4) Reduction of package sizes and increase of price.
5) Alien meats/fish etc. from faraway places rather than local stock.

We end up doing some bulk shopping at Costco (membership warehouse grocery and stuff), some shopping at Uwajimaya (asian mart), a local Indian market (spices are much less costly than damn chibi-$$$-spice at Big Box), and the local "hippy food stores" (New Seasons or Whole Foods). It only takes a little more time -- time that we have because we don't watch much tv and its a nice way to get some walking in.

Tip for shoppers: next time you shop, look at the ingredients, how many items have some form of corn syrup as a main ingredient? How many are adding industrial stabilizers or thickeners? What kind of health is really important to you?

note: wow, we're really beating this news story to death.
Old 2008-10-31, 18:29   Link #947
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Good food can be had in America, but it'll likely take you three times as long to do your grocery shopping at first as you flip over and read the ingredients list of everything you reach for, put it back and continue to hunt for a suitable replacement.
It is true that good food can be consumed anywhere in America, but the problem isn't really about what people eat, but the idea of convenience. Good foods tend to take longer to prepare and also the list of ingredients can be tedious, whereas fastfoods can be much cheaper and also very convenient. More over, fastfood does not limit to what to eat at McDonald's, Burger King, Pizza Hut, KFC, etc.. It can be ate at home by methods of microwave.

Frozen meals can also be considered a form of fastfood. Purchasing frozen meals saves time and money, yet it is unhealthy to consume as a regular meal. Sodas as drinks are also a time and money saver, yet it is also unhealthy. People who eat too much fastfood, whether it be burgers or frozen meals may end of up with the risk of high cholesterol and obesity. People who drink too much soft drinks may end up with the risk of diabetes and also the increase of food intake due to an enlarged stomach caused by carbonated water within soft drinks.

Although I realizes this, I still drank a few cans of coke a week. Well.. The thing is that to prepare tea would consume a lot of time. First of all, the process of boiling water may take up to 5 minutes and the time for the tea to cool down will take another 2-3 minutes. On the other hand, to drink a can of soda, all you got to do is pop the can and drink. Quick!

As for fastfood, it is considered a popular meal type in America, because it saves time. Going to the supermarket to pick out ingredients may be a painfully long process, especially when ingredients are not available, whereas you can just simply buy a microwave-able meal, pop it into the microwave, set the time, and then have your meal. Simple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My wife and I as a rule avoid processed foods (except for cereal; we do eat Cheerios or some froufrou hippy elf twigs and bark). We make a hobby of shopping and avoiding the crap -- one thing we're noticing is that the Big Box grocery stores are exhibiting the following patterns over the last 10 years:
1) Shrinking baking aisle - more and more prefab crap and less components and gear. People have forgotten how to cook and when they want to learn, its hard for them to find the stuff and tools needed.
2) Alien Vegetable&Fruits from strange lands where they do unspeakable things to vegetables -- often unlabeled as to source; not local stock.
3) Reduced choice of particular items - one "brand" and one store-label... or just store-label.
This is probably the most healthy way to pick a meal. (^_^)
Old 2008-10-31, 18:51   Link #948
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Alien fruit and veg and meats, almost sounds... Martian
Now that I've been thinking bout it and comparing, I guess England being old farm country, most of the countryside towns where supermarkets aren't around and there's the typical 1 pub, post office, newsagents and all local businesses. We have markets and greengrocers who'd grow and sell their produce.
Even within London, on the side of a busy high road, opposite a large supermarket, there is usually a green grocers selling fresh fruit and veg (how fresh, don't ask, lol)
But it's a common presence which reminds us that we have a choice to eat healthy instead of going straight to a fast food joint or even the supermarket for frozen processed stuffs.
And seriously, at Maccy D's for example, don't they sell fruit bags, yogurt, juice and mineral water for the Happy Meals? O.o (like they do here...)
Or even then, I'd prefer to get a milkshake sometimes, but you all make it sound like fizzy drinks are the -only- choice in terms of beverages.
(Ah, but then I learnt this from Ledgem, since he wasn't sure what I was on about)
We also have fruit cordials, either homemade with fruit or store bought such as Vimto (a fave of mine, you can hyperlink to 'varitaion' or 'cordial')
Those are usually frowned upon by dentists, since kids kinda get addictive to them, but it's all in the mix which parents can decide, and for most part we're still consuming water.

Besides, if so many people are going to fast food joints, it doesn't make the food so fast then does it? :P
(The queues?)
Quote:
Although I realizes this, I still drank a few cans of coke a week. Well.. The thing is that to prepare tea would consume a lot of time. First of all, the process of boiling water may take up to 5 minutes and the time for the tea to cool down will take another 2-3 minutes. On the other hand, to drink a can of soda, all you got to do is pop the can and drink. Quick!
Okay, this is where i just call you lazy as hell.
America's sins: Sloth, greed and gluttony.
As for the order, you decide.
Making tea isn't that big a deal, yeesh, lol. For all the TV ads you have over there, it's more than enough time to turn the kettle on.
(Or just drink water if you're in a hurry)

But as for beating this news story to death...
well it semi deviated from your example in reference to my news story *cough*
But still just as informing, i'm learning about the eating habits over there, so I personally find it interesting to compare to how lifestyles are in London or small country towns here to suburban or city America.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2008-11-01, 13:08   Link #949
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Doesn't that mean you eat too healthy?
How can you be too healthy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
one thing we're noticing is that the Big Box grocery stores are exhibiting the following patterns over the last 10 years:
Something I've noticed at grocery stores around here (I'm talking Wal-Mart and Meijer) is a dramatic increase in the availability and variety of name-brand and store-brand organic products. Things like cereal, peanut butter, cheese, baking goods, juice, fresh bread, ice cream and even frozen pizza and frozen waffles can all be had as certified organic. Things are almost always in stock and while a little higher than the average slop, still reasonably priced. I actually bought organic apples the other day for cheaper than their mystery-history counterparts. Maybe you should move out here
Old 2008-11-01, 13:41   Link #950
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
How can you be too healthy?
You become unable to eat cheap, convenient, widely available fast food.
Old 2008-11-01, 16:43   Link #951
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Eh, I'm not the healthiest eater but I try to avoid foods with too much sodium or fat content. Because of this if I eat a really greasy burger or something very high in salt like packaged meats (hot dogs for example) my body really doesn't like it (but my taste buds do!).

Once you get used to certain kinds of foods your body digests things differently. It's why abruptly changing the brand or type of food your pets eat is frowned upon by veterinarians. Not only does it cause digestive problems it can be kind of messy.

One of the major reasons I don't eat healthier is simply because it's too expensive versus the longevity of the food. I can't afford to buy fresh fruits and vegetables each and every week so between those periods I consume more preserved stuff.

On the other hand, junk food isn't all bad for you. Part of the bigger problem with junk food is that because of the increased calorie/sodium/cholesterol/sugar content you have to burn more of it. With the relatively inactive lifestyles of the average person in America they just don't burn through an entire days worth of less than healthy foodstuffs. So gradually people just get fatter and fatter.
Old 2008-11-01, 17:19   Link #952
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
You become unable to eat complete garbage that kills you slowly.
Fixed for ya
Old 2008-11-02, 19:46   Link #953
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
*blinks*

In the immortal words of Dennis Leary from "No Cure for Cancer", "where's the problem?"
Old 2008-11-02, 23:13   Link #954
Kamui4356
Aria Company

This thread inspired me to go around checking the food in the house for corn syrup. As expected it was in things like soda and some snack foods, but it was also in the bread, hot dogs, and a few other things that suprised me. Perhaps more suprising, it was not in the chocolate chip cookies.
Old 2008-11-03, 01:55   Link #955
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Perhaps more suprising, it was not in the chocolate chip cookies.
The cookies probably have trans fat/hydrogenated oils in them, which are worse than corn syrup
Old 2008-11-03, 03:44   Link #956
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
*blinks*

In the immortal words of Dennis Leary from "No Cure for Cancer", "where's the problem?"
Money and time. Fast food may kill me slowly, but starvation and sleep deprivation will work faster!
Old 2008-11-03, 05:49   Link #957
othera

^ Your so busy spending time to eat makes you sleep deprived, and you would starve without fast food?..

Old 2008-11-03, 12:51   Link #958
Eggs in a Bottle
Ehh I love suits?

Well what really bothers me is eating the same food over and over, my taste buds can't stand that for some reason. I have to eat something special and new every day.

Well about news stories, a while ago, here in Finland, a wrong man was badly beaten by two guys when a girl had told the two guys to get this certain dude, and they happened to beat the wrong dude.

And a dude had to pay 7500 euros to a couple he had slandered over the internets with 30 posts. The woman "had" to take stress leave from work for a couple months and lost her pay for that time, and the internet meanie dude had to pay for the "lost" money. Nice boat.

Oh and the Finnish school shooting parents (of the shooter (Auvinen)) are coming onto a Finnish copy of 60 minutes to talk about everything, this should be interesting. NOT.
Old 2008-11-04, 06:08   Link #959
Sides

Scientists clone from frozen mice. That's something interesting, japanese scientists managed to clone of mice that have been frozen for about 16 years. So maybe cryonics does kind of work, in a sense.
Old 2008-11-05, 05:18   Link #960
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Ok, What. The. Cluster F*@$.

The famous music writer/producer Tetsuya Komuro is arrested for fraud, under suspicion of taking 500 million yen from a company with fraudulent sales of the copyright of his songs. Even though he had already sold all 800 song sto Avex, he agreed to sell them again to another vendor, and took 500 million yen from them... but never paid them back for the fraud.

Tetsuya Komuro wrote many, MANY hits in the 80s and 90s, including countless anime songs. (One of the most famous being the theme song for City Hunter, "Get Wild") His affliations includes TM Network, X Japan, Arisa Mizuki, hitomi, and many, many more. He has pumped out numerous million seller songs, and is possibly the most established and influential J-Pop producer in Japan, period.

God, this guy was revered as a god for the last 20 years... what the hell happened?
For a mere 500 million yen!? (That's 5 million US dollars)

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international