AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-28, 14:49   Link #1101
Shadow5YA

I'm glad that Yoshino getting shot melodrama turned out to be a red herring. I would have raged if Okada had her way.

All in all a good ending, but that final scene with Yoshino and Hakaze reuniting was a little too romantic. They're not supposed to be a couple, and I don't like how Okada makes them look like one.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 14:55   Link #1102
Bern-san

They completely changed the ending although the main ideas and dialogues were maintained. I'm happy that Yoshino being shot was dealt quickly and didn't take time.

Chronologically-wise I guess the anime ended before the manga? After all
Spoiler for manga:

If you want to see the appearances of Yu-chan and Mimori (Mahiro's girlfriend):
Spoiler for space:

Considering that episodes 1-12 adapted chapters 1-16 while episodes 14-24 adapted chapters 17-44 you can see why the second half is a bit disappointing in terms of content not explained well or omitted.
But all in all (with the exception of the last 2 episodes) I have been quite happy with this anime so 9/10.

Leaving the last image of the manga because I liked it and wanted to see the 2 characters mentioned above animated:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-03-28, 15:38   Link #1103
SeaDoor

Episode 24: An appropriate ending without even a hint of subtlety.

For the series: Delightfully entertaining. This theatrical and grandiose series deserves a standing ovation. Bravo!
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 15:42   Link #1104
Ddraig

Beautiful ending, I like it more than manga ending.
Ddraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 16:18   Link #1105
ookamigirl

Things were pretty serious this time.
The fights were hard as well, but also really good.
Pillar definitely didn't want to go down without a serious fight.
All's well that ends well ^^
Hakaze was pretty much funny without magic.
Everyone finally got a chance to relax after everything that's happened.
The ending was rather nice ^^

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 16:32   Link #1106
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well I can't say I'm impressed with what seemed to be a Dues Ex Machina ending with Hanemura there, who's character has often felt weaker that it should be for someone with his role but oh well. Everything after that was pretty well done and it was a satisfying conclusion overall. I like how the story cleared up the issue of Mahiro and Yoshino supposedly following logic and I liked their resolution with Aika's death overall. I can't say the second cour lived up to my expectations completely since it wasn't as good as the previous cour but I'll definitely take it. It's been an enjoyable ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I'm glad that Yoshino getting shot melodrama turned out to be a red herring. I would have raged if Okada had her way.

Quote:
All in all a good ending, but that final scene with Yoshino and Hakaze reuniting was a little too romantic. They're not supposed to be a couple, and I don't like how Okada makes them look like one.
It's not too romantic. It is romantic. It's meant to be romantic.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 16:45   Link #1107
Bern-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well I can't say I'm impressed with what seemed to be a Dues Ex Machina ending with Hanemura there, who's character has often felt weaker that it should be for someone with his role but oh well.
For the record, the scene where he is in the ocean and gives up until the sword appears (and that Aika flashback) doesn't happen in the manga.

Quote:
It's not too romantic. It is romantic. It's meant to be romantic.
And like the previous episode, Yoshino felt so OOC in that part.

What I liked is that Mahiro punched Yoshino in the grave after watching Aika's video and not before.
Old 2013-03-28, 16:49   Link #1108
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Yeah I don't know how much of a hand Okada had in these last two episodes, but there definitely felt something a bit off from usual in them. If what I am reading about her changes is true, it seems many of the issues actually stem from her . Just not as sharp as the previous episodes in characterization, and overall drama. I also just thought the show peaked a couple episodes ago with Hakaze and Aika and just didn't manage to follow it up very well.

This is definitely a story whose journey was greater than the end. Criminally underappreciated show. A very solid 8/10.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 17:12   Link #1109
Entravity

Didn't like the beginning part of the episode with the way Hanemura ended everything, but the dialogue portions at the end are okay. Not great, but suitable.
Old 2013-03-28, 17:13   Link #1110
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

It hurts to think how much of a well-kept secret this show might end up being. It seems well-regarded by most of its viewers, so I'm hoping it gets a little boost now that it's all wrapped up.

It was nice to see Hanemura get his big hero moment, even if Aika was the one twinking him. Apparently she can entrust the Sword of a Thousand Truths to a n00b.

9/10 for the last episode, and 8/10 for the show as a whole. A full-throated recommendation, even if things seemed a bit meandering to me in the early going.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 18:21   Link #1111
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Truly magnificent piece of work, especially the dialogue. Farewell message by Aika brought a tear in my eye, and Mahiros made a bunch of great lines that resonated in me (especially the part where he feels Aika is wrong in acting her life as if it was staged). In Okada I trust.

Apart from the dialogue, the music was fantastic. Yeah I understand some people's feelings about the music being TOO much, but as they say, anything worth doing is worth overdoing. XD

Director has done pretty well as well, which I guess if I remove my Okadafag glasses, he would be the reason why this was done so well objectively speaking. Especially if you compare this to say, Shin Sekai Yori, it's evident by how well everything was paced, how well the end of each episode made you want for more, and not to mention the magic fighting scenes were pretty darn impressive. So kudos to Ando... maybe it's a name I shall start remembering, as he did pretty well with Okada in Hanasaku Iroha IMO.

Definitely 10/10. I love the series so much that I'm gonna give it the edge over Humanity has Declined as my favourite show that started in 2012.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 20:51   Link #1112
novalysis

Zetsuen No Tempest is what happens when a Grandiose play is turn into a manga, which in tun is given life in anime form. A magnificent tale, and I hope it would be something well remembered, even though I suspect it will fall into unjustifiable obscurity.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 21:09   Link #1113
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I'd have enjoyed things more if the manga readers hadn't pretty much let us all know Yoshino lives after the last episode. Thanks.

The ending was all that one would expect from this show, even if all my secret hopes that there'd be one last plot twist were dashed. You know, Aika still being alive, masquerading as Yu-chan, and the whole thing just a play she orchestrated at every turn, and her last message to Mahiro/Yoshino was basically rubbing their noses in it all.

I wonder if they went to black prior to what was presumably "the kiss" on purpose? As an aside, I don't think I could handle the burden of being in a relationship with someone who was still so in love with their dead ex. But, here's to the two of them hopefully making it for the long haul.

The only real question I have left after the conclusion is...Junichirou. The anime made it out that he doesn't have magic, but he was shown able to defeat people in ways that weren't shown, so the question was always...what's special about him?
Spoiler for Spoilers? I guess? From manga?:
Also, lol @ his crush on Evangeline, though her boob size kind of made her an obvious crush for him. Evangeline, herself, seems to have a thing for Samon (or Natsumura, or both). Poor Junichirou. Short guys have a lot to overcome, unfortunately.

It's hard for me to rate this show. I love that it skewed towards a stage production in many ways, especially as someone who grew up doing musicals, and would love to see more shows that did that, but I still find myself giving Shin Sekai Yuri and Psycho Pass an edge over it. Still an excellent series, and proof that Bones isn't entirely dried up after a long list of shows that left me thinking I'd have to stop giving them an automatic "must watch" just because their name was attached to a series.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 21:17   Link #1114
garbage

highly under-appreciated but a gem of a show in my opinion.

good final episode especially the dialogues, the only thing is Hanemura's last strike and sword feels kinda DEM.
Old 2013-03-28, 22:06   Link #1115
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

About the DEM thing in the ending, I still find it not that implausible considering it’s the Tree of Exodus’ entire power put into one final weapon which probably manifested after seeing how cornered its mage is (as far as the anime is concerned. I haven’t read the manga). So at least, it doesn’t come out of nowhere like “the power of will” or anything shonen-ish like that.

Overall, I think this anime is excellent. IMO the story is the most fulfilling compared to any other series in both previous and this season. I think the overall good-ness of this series beats even the likes of Psycho-Pass and Shinsekai Yori. I enjoy those two immensely but I think Psycho-Pass has a lot of questionable logic in its world setting and Shinsekai Yori has a lot of plot holes which should’ve been filled. While Zetsuen smartly addresses and uses the accidental convenience and coincidences as part of its story by making the Genesis Tree controlling the world’s logic. Also, Zetsuen really delivers in the entertainment department. The animation is top notch, the visual is colorful, the characters are well written and their looks are easy for the eyes, the soundtracks are nice, action are abundant, and most of the interactions and conversations are really enjoyable to watch and listen to (they can genuinely make you laugh, not just tense). Unlike Shinsekai Yori and Psycho-Pass which are almost always “doom & gloom” in each episode both interaction-wise and visually. The only other shows this season I can think of as an equal for “intelligent entertainment” are Chihayafuru and, to some extent, Space Brothers.
Old 2013-03-28, 22:29   Link #1116
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
As if Aika's act started the whole Genesis Tree erasing civilization thing.

That's the whole purpose of the Genesis Tree and it would have thrown down that deadline to humanity whether or not Aika did anything.

You still don't get the purpose of the Genesis Tree. It's not some peacekeeping policeman
I am reluctant to say it, but I have to say you totally missed my points.

Double post below:
Point 1: Aika should take the action, and get over with it.

Point 2: Her deviated action caused the disaster. The consequence is that Tree of Zetsuen killing population. The tree of Genesis role is supposedly inactive until the time, or similar to some type of Mayan myth. Because of the decimation, it steps in to stops tree of Zetsuen and keeps the world peace. Else, the world is over and renders the function of begging tree unnecessary. Its purpose is keep few people, so they can rebuild the civilization. In last season, tree of Zetsuen nearly kill any chance for survivor.

I'm tired of any more clarification. So, it's end of my clarification now.
-----------
Spoiler for Spoilers? I guess? From manga?:

There are already a lot of speculation about him online.

Spoiler for mere speculation:

Images
Thereafter Mahiro's trust for Yoshino
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Too bad, Aika only shows her legs. Not even her belly button...

I'm glad that Hakaze is having the happy ending. The old women knows too well. Perhaps they had been there and done that.

Before the airing of anime, someone predicts it was a BL anime. I'm glad he was wrong. It's finally over. The guys just sit there and their love comes to them. It probably ends better than manga ending.

Hakaze is so fine.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust

Last edited by GundamZZ; 2013-03-30 at 14:36.
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 03:21   Link #1117
Blaat

I think after watching this that Bones should stick doing manga adaptations and keep the anime original work to a minimum.
Old 2013-03-29, 06:04   Link #1118
zero7090

Well done Bone, well done. Especially the second half was beautifully executed.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 07:37   Link #1119
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Zetsuen No Tempest is what happens when a Grandiose play is turn into a manga, which in tun is given life in anime form. A magnificent tale, and I hope it would be something well remembered, even though I suspect it will fall into unjustifiable obscurity.
I rather suspect the opposite - I think time is going to be kinder to this series than BD/DVD sales have been. It's a show that will be remembered long after splashier shows with bigger sales are relegated to obscurity.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2013-03-29 at 09:42.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 08:26   Link #1120
LKK

For me, ZnT has been nearly the ideal action adventure show. It's as if the writers looked deep inside my mind and made a list of the elements of my ideal action adventure show. Next, they and their fellow production staff combined those elements in the most perfect possible combination of story, characterization, acting, music, and animation. Finally, they integrated a discussion of two great Shakespearean plays as the cherry on the top of this delicious sundae knowing I'm a Shakespeare fan.

I'm going to be very disappointed if ZnT doesn't receive a home release, dubbed so my husband can watch it and blue-ray so I can revel in its full visual goodness.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, gangan, shounen, tragedy, zetsuen