AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ore no Imouto

Notices

View Poll Results: Ore no Imouto (Season Two) - Episode 14-16 Rating
Perfect 10 25 19.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 13.95%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 10.08%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 6.20%
6 out of 10 : Average 12 9.30%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.55%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 3.10%
3 out of 10 : Bad 10 7.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 3.10%
1 out of 10 : Painful 33 25.58%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-09-01, 01:26   Link #461
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizoku-Ou View Post
The story does make a point of reminding everyone that certain things can't happen in the real world and all the characters, including Kyousuke and Kirino readily acknowledge as much. However, it would be more accurate to say I don't put much stock in the characters making promises and saying they will never do "x" as they welch too much for it to have credibility. At the end of the story it is fairly clear the situation will remain complicated and subject to change, so presumably there will still be much welching in the future.
It is not a reminder for the audience, rather a coping mechanism of Kirino with her inappropriate feelings, in the light of her playing all those imouto genre eroge. Furthermore, it is only Kirino who says "Don't mix up eroge and reality". As for them welching, you are forgetting something, the recurring theme in the series is the love for each other and the realisation / coping with it. Despite Kirino always saying to Kyousuke that he's disgusting, her love for him throughout the series doesn't change. As for Kyousuke, his issue is realising his love. But at least from the end of season 1 forward, his love is showing itself quite often and doesn't change despite some of his outward actions. They may tell different things at different times, but this central theme is a constant. If you say the welched too much for their feelings to hold true, you are basically questioning and discounting the entire story in itself.
Old 2013-09-01, 12:10   Link #462
EmagEvil

... Wow... Just saw the ending, i didn't expecting it at all(get some spoilers from the last novel, so it was trolling then? The they get together without giving a damn of the World...)... After rejecting all those girls, after screaming that he love his sister so much time, to the end back like nothing happened?! He's the most crazy MC from a love comedy that i know! I'm disappointed... Watched the 1st & 2nd season, to end like this...
Old 2013-09-01, 12:47   Link #463
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmagEvil View Post
... Wow... Just saw the ending, i didn't expecting it at all(get some spoilers from the last novel, so it was trolling then? The they get together without giving a damn of the World...)... After rejecting all those girls, after screaming that he love his sister so much time, to the end back like nothing happened?! He's the most crazy MC from a love comedy that i know! I'm disappointed... Watched the 1st & 2nd season, to end like this...
Please read the thread, there are enough post stating the end is not like what it seems to be. They are not really going back like it was nothing. The author left enough hints as to the ending he really intended to.
Old 2013-09-02, 03:31   Link #464
bin1127

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
There are a few hitches with that interpretation. First of all is what relentlessflame has stated in a previous post. Due to Kyousuke's admisson of love, Kirino cancelled her plan to go abroad. This is important, as it shows, that they want to be together. Furthermore, by your argumentation it sounds like their love can be switched off on command, which is highly unlikely. If it can't be switched off and Kirino really wanted to keep it a short love, then she should have left abroad. Otherwise there is always the danger of that love flaring up. Finally, the epilogue suggests that despite the outward statement, they can't quite keep it. First with Kirino asking Kyousuke yet again to buy her a ring, which he does. Then with Kyousuke kissing Kirino (on the lips, that's what the author wanted). Somebody (I think it was once again relentlessflame) has stated that the purpose of staying together, even if it means going back to siblings in their normal behaviour, is at least Kirino's ultimate goal. Therefore they really aren't "on the market".

EDIT: Saw it only now, but relentlessflame has basically said what I indirectly quoted.
There is a lot of evidence that can point to a continued relationship like how in the epilogue Kyousuke was still flirting and Kirino receptive all the same. But I can't get over the feeling that Kirino has accomplished some ultimate goal so that furthering an adult love relationship isn't necessary. I always felt Kirino's love for her brother was mostly due to sibling admiration and ep13 and other flashbacks thrown in showing kyousuke growing out of taking baths together and kyousuke hanging out with his own friends without Kirino seemed to help justify that perspective for me. That gave me a very strong impression that Kirino has all along been trying really hard to win back her brother. Their holidate can therefore be seen as proof that is sufficient for Kirino to safely acknowledge that her brother once gain holds her as dearly as when they were small. At this point then Kirino doesn't have to run away anymore and the necessity to push the two into more serious relationship subsides.

Now of course KxK didn't just slip and locked lips accidentally. Though neither do I think every life counseling session is another step towards home base. It's not that I try to downplay how serious KxX takes their love for each other but the ending really gives strong undertone that "here are two siblings that were able to find their old best friend again" instead of "two lovers finally opening up to each other".
Old 2013-09-02, 06:01   Link #465
Kakurin
大佐

I wrote it in the interpretation of the ending back then in the novel thread. To me it is open, whether they live out a life as open lovers. But fact is, they do love each other (I do agree that Kirino's love sprung out of admiration, but due to the estrangement inadvertendly caused by Manami her longing turned admiration into romantic love), and want to remain by each other's side. That's why they both turned down potential love interests not once, but multiple times, and both stated that they don't want to see each other with a girl-, boyfriend. So, even if they don't act openly like lovers, it is not like they are open for other relationships.
Old 2013-09-02, 07:43   Link #466
Wilshere

Really doubt Kirino would let go of Kyousuke now that she made him fall for her. Refer to the last part in Volume 9.
Old 2013-09-02, 08:53   Link #467
Densetsuhakai
Imouto Lover x3

lol why are people still talking about this? It was said multiple times that they won't end their relationship just like this (stated by the author). And even IF it should be the case that they won't continue their relationship they still won't have a romantic relationship with any other girl/boy. That was the whole point in cutting off the bridges. I don't know why so many people still don't get it.
Old 2013-09-02, 09:03   Link #468
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Many people did understand how the story of Oreimo ended. But can you expect everyone to be happy with the ultimate ending?
No need to throw me those "this is what happened, deal with it" arguments. The point is, there are some people who did not like what happened.

Let's give it to the Kousaka siblings: they love each other and damn the world!
I would have been pleased if the story went with just Kyousuke and Kirino being really close siblings. But NOOOOOOO, they just have to end up with romance.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-09-02, 09:10   Link #469
Densetsuhakai
Imouto Lover x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Many people did understand how the story of Oreimo ended. But can you expect everyone to be happy with the ultimate ending?
No need to throw me those "this is what happened, deal with it" arguments. The point is, there are some people who did not like what happened.

I would have been pleased if the story went with just Kyousuke and Kirino being really close siblings. But NOOOOOOO, they just have to end up with romance.
Well, then what do you expect? That they change the whole story or what? You don't have another option than to accept how it ended. This is the way the author wanted to end HIS story. It would be way more sad if he would decide to write an alternative end just to please the audience. I'm actually really happy that this won't be the case, though I would be happier if the author would had the chance to write this actually the way he wanted it to be before the publisher said that he couldn't do this. See, even I must accept that it could been way more direct as it is now but it's not. So don't cry and deal with it because OreImo is history now.
Old 2013-09-02, 09:19   Link #470
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
don't cry
Don't remind me. ;_; I don't want to drop the last three episodes, but I continue to struggle to watch it. I imagine that I would explode from all of the emotions I would face. I have to give it to Oreimo for rousing rage and sadness in my heart, something that Toradora was unable to give to me (well, I was really pleased by the ending so Toradora wins).
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2013-09-02, 09:55   Link #471
Sakuratsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Densetsuhakai View Post
lol why are people still talking about this? It was said multiple times that they won't end their relationship just like this (stated by the author). And even IF it should be the case that they won't continue their relationship they still won't have a romantic relationship with any other girl/boy. That was the whole point in cutting off the bridges. I don't know why so many people still don't get it.
I think they need to use their brain (connects the dots). If it is not mentioned clearly, they won't believe it.

It is not easy to switch off your feelings. The epilogue is practically saying 'these two can never be normal siblings again'. If the author really wanted to pull that kind of ending (returning to a normal sibling life and dating somebody else). He wouldn't have to go trough the trouble like Kyousuke rejecting all the girls and closing all the doors for him. And Kirino not going abroad is also something important.

Kirino from the start (volume 1) has feelings for Kyousuke and kyousuke feels the same (later on in the story). Do you really think that kyousuke and kirino could forget this feelings that easily? Like nothing has happened?

They are still young and they can't do something openly that could destroy there life's. So this is the solution for them to stay together forever. The epilogue says despite the promise it is hard to act normally and so the life counseling continues. And life counseling is a special thing for these two. It is a way to convey there feelings in secret for each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post

In the end it is only 'fiction'. And like all the 'fiction' stories out there. You have people who like the ending and you have people who don't like the ending. Everyone has his own taste and that is something human and normal. So get over it, Oreimo has ended. Don't expect something else.

Edit: Besides, I would like to advice you (if you didn't do it before) to read the novel. There are big hints from the start that Kirino harbored some secret feelings for kyousuke. So it is not weird to think that it could have ended this way (romance).

Your sister is waking you up at night (you are on bad terms with her) and she wants life counseling and you have to play imouto eroge with her? And you think that kind of ending is not possible?

Last edited by Sakuratsuki; 2013-09-02 at 11:31. Reason: merge double-post
Old 2013-09-02, 12:34   Link #472
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bin1127 View Post
I always felt Kirino's love for her brother was mostly due to sibling admiration and ep13 and other flashbacks thrown in showing kyousuke growing out of taking baths together and kyousuke hanging out with his own friends without Kirino seemed to help justify that perspective for me. That gave me a very strong impression that Kirino has all along been trying really hard to win back her brother. Their holidate can therefore be seen as proof that is sufficient for Kirino to safely acknowledge that her brother once gain holds her as dearly as when they were small. At this point then Kirino doesn't have to run away anymore and the necessity to push the two into more serious relationship subsides.

[...] It's not that I try to downplay how serious KxX takes their love for each other but the ending really gives strong undertone that "here are two siblings that were able to find their old best friend again" instead of "two lovers finally opening up to each other".
I think the issue is that you have to consider the story from both perspectives.

From Kirino's perspective, she's had many years to come to grips with the fact that her "childish crush" basically has no hope of ever working out, so even after she accepts Kyousuke's proposal, she keeps thinking of the practicalities. Even to the point where he rejects Manami, she still has a hard time understanding why Kyousuke keeps shutting every other door. In her mind at that point, their romance really was going to end after graduation (even though she wasn't going to move away or anything) because she didn't want to hold Kyousuke down for a relationship that could never work out (and she already realized that there were other girls in love with him, even though he's the only one she ever loved). So, to her, it really was about getting her beloved brother back, and finally resolving their long-time conflict. Episode 13 was told from her perspective after all. So, although Kirino has been in love with Kyousuke all this time, her perspective at the end is: siblings.

Kyousuke's perspective on all this is a little bit different though. Although his sister was important to him in the past, he had never considered himself "in love" with her, and thus had spent absolutely zero time and effort figuring out how to make things work. It's only over the course of the story, as other potential romantic interests start entering his life, that he's forced to come to terms with his attraction to and feelings for Kirino and what he wants to do about it (and he only finally figures it out right near the end). Obviously resolving the long-time conflict with Kirino is a good thing, but to him that issue was not about unrequited romance, just a sibling fight. Kyousuke's romantic feelings for Kirino have basically nothing to do with Kirino's reasons (they didn't start in the past, but rather since life counselling started), and although he agrees that they'll stop acting out at the end of the three months (realizing the constraints of reality), he doesn't show any signs of seeing this as the end (and this is why he closes all the other doors). While this may be closing a chapter in Kirino's life, to Kyousuke a new chapter has just begun. Although Kyousuke has seen Kirino as a sister all this time, his perspective at the end is: lovers.

And that's why the very ending features the clash of these two perspectives: siblings and lovers. The truth is that each of them have both perspectives about each other, because they can neither stop being siblings nor deny what happened beyond that. If you ask me, I think that even after all the signs Kyousuke gave her, Kirino still underestimated just how serious Kyousuke was about choosing her and only her as his partner (because the idea that it couldn't happen was so engrained in her mind over the years).
Old 2013-09-02, 16:19   Link #473
Black Phoenix
Photography is my life!

Watching all the Anime again from the start, knowing the story as it ended, it shown why Kirino was the way she was. A real full time tsundere in love with his brother, the reason why she gone to the "Little Sister's Eroge" path, to try to compensate the lack in love from his brother.

It was again nice to see everything, I must say that this time, I saw the all the hints in the Anime, and the way it had gone. I recommend the ones that still do not understand or keep saying that the ending was bad to see all the episodes, first and second seasons with attention...
Old 2013-09-02, 19:56   Link #474
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Your sister is waking you up at night (you are on bad terms with her) and she wants life counseling and you have to play imouto eroge with her? And you think that kind of ending is not possible?
I'd treat her like a real younger sister and only that. Loving her romantically, incest aside, is a big risk; if I break her heart, not only did I lose a lover, but I also lost a sister, a family (considering this relationship would also cause us to be shunned by our family) and possibly our credibility to society (assuming that news of our love affair comes out).

As I had said in this thread before, I have no problems with incest. There's this specific aspect/s in this series that seems to tick me off.

Old 2013-09-02, 20:32   Link #475
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Hmm ... where to start.

Well, I'll start by saying that the first season was a decent series. Nothing fantastic but it was a above average harem series. Kirino was a bitch, but the other characters like Kuroneko, Ayase, Manami and the like were anywhere between decent to likable and Kyousuke was tolerable. Got bad towards the end of the series when Kyousuke became a total pussy and punching bag but for overall production values were solid and were some good lighthearted fun and laughs between the various facepalm moments.

Then the S1 OVAs. This is where the series was actually legit decent. With Kirino out of the picture for the majority of this mini-series, all the characters acted like characters and Kyousuke wasn't the sucking up pathetic volunteer punching bag he was towards the end of S1. Kuroneko shippers rejoiced here, but since I didn't ship (I seldom do) I didn't like it as much as they did, but it was nonetheless pretty solid.

Then S2 came and all hell started to take loose. I don't know if it was intended or not, but I came out of S2 hating every single character. In fact, Kirino wasn't even the primary problem because she was the same old same old from S1. It was everyone else. Kuroneko, who I lukewarmly liked from S1 came out to be one of the worst characters of S2. She effectively sabotaged her own happiness volunteeringly because the plot demanded an incest end. And Kyousuke... is he even the same character? He is literally the worst and most pathetic male character I've seen in many years even beating the likes of Shu from Guilty Crown and Jiromaru from Hanasaku Iroha. He's gone beyond being a volunteer punching bag and towards the land of masochistic lunatic... and the worst part is that we are supposed to take him and the Oreimo series overall somewhat seriously.

Then came the Oreimo S2 OVAs which has to be worst mini-series I have ever seen. It down's there in the bottom of the rung alongside the likes of the Unlimited Blade Works movie and Mars of Destruction. Yes it was a troll, but it was a extremely badly done troll because we were supposed to take the end result seriously, and that's where the difference is. It effectively and deliberately sank every ship and actually went for the incest route, absurd as it is, but unlike say Yosuga no Sora (not saying this series was good either, but boy would I take that over this piece of dung anyday) did not have the balls to go all the way, so also ended up half-assing it at the same time. The only part of the OVAs I remotely liked was the Manami and Kirino fight scene due to its absurdity more than the fact Kirino finally got what she deserved. It was more of a moment of ironic laughter than a legitimately good scene.

So, yeh, Oreimo started off decent then completely trainwrecked in its latter season and OVAs and I ended up hating every character. You know a series is bad for you personally if you end up saying Ayase was the least bad character in the series and because she was the most attractive looking (I fag over long hair k) but regardless she had a terrible halfass yandere/tsundere personality (sup Minko) and Kyousuke ended up beating Yuki Kaaji male characters in terms of patheticness.

It's franchises like this, Sword Art Online and Infinite Stratos that make me make me face-palm and further accentuates my disapproval of the Japanese light novel medium as some pandering cesspool. They are popular, praised and more and more are being churned out and adapted and also the type of series that tend to gets high budgets. Although not all light novels are bad (we've seen some fantastic ones like Hyouka, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, Spice and Wolf, Baccano to name a few) they are far and few. I would like to forget about this franchise, but because the damage has been done and in significant amounts, it's going to be ingrained in my memory.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2013-09-02 at 20:43.
Old 2013-09-02, 21:23   Link #476
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Yes it was a troll, but it was a extremely badly done troll because we were supposed to take the end result seriously, and that's where the difference is.
I don't think it was a "troll" at all, although I do think some aspects were "theatricized" (such as the over-the-top fight, and Kyousuke's over-the-top confessions). The ending wraps up an awful lot of plot threads that were established in the first season and developed over the course of the second season, so I didn't really see this transition to a "trainwreck" (it seemed to connect pretty clearly to me).

I guess, suffice it to say, I had an entirely different read on the show and on the ending than you did, despite there being aspects I would have liked to have seen better-rendered in the way-too-truncated anime (and some parts I would have omitted if it had been up to me).
Old 2013-09-03, 00:30   Link #477
Megatron420

First off Oreimo was awesome, the author took a taboo subject like incest, and disguised it as a poppy kids show(which is not easy). I'm surprised (credit to the writers diversion tactics which fooled a lot of you) he managed to make it all the way through season 2 without being shut down. It's one of the ballsiest series I've ever seen on T.V. That captured a wide international audience, and atleast for me since they are fictional characters (fictional-not real) by the end (and this was the authors intention) you want to see them together. If you watch the series from beginning to end you can see their relationship escalate to a fever pitch.

Once again - Megatron420!
Old 2013-09-03, 00:37   Link #478
Mubyoshi

So I finally got around to watching the finale and as I was watching it I kept having this thought in my head "please let this be one of kyousuke's dream". Aaaaand I guess it wasn't. I give this anime a final rating of so-so.
Old 2013-09-03, 00:52   Link #479
Megatron420

I don't understand the previous post at all, what other outcome could there have been with out it getting x-rated which they couldn't do because of censors/airing time/etc. Most people are pissed cause its over, not many popular shows only go two season deep.

- Megatron420
Old 2013-09-03, 01:04   Link #480
Mubyoshi

Not sure what you're trying to get at. I'm just saying that I had hoped that the whole sequence of episodes 14-16 was just a dream of Kyousuke's or something. Something akin to the ending of Danshi no koukousei no nichijou. I honestly just find it hard to believe even after seeing all their interactions that two siblings would actually fall for each other.
Closed Thread