AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-01-02, 09:58   Link #1
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Ayakashi ~ Japanese Classic Horror

This is a new anime that comes out January 12.

Those who have followed "Honey and Clover" and "Paradise Kiss" will probably want to watch this, when it's out, since it's the 3rd installment of Fuji TV's Noitamina experimental anime block.

So, first they did a slice-of-life comedy with Hachikuro, then they did a romantic drama with Parakiss, now they are doing a horror story. The good thing is that the character designs are done by the master designer, Yoshitaka Amano himself. If you are unfamiliar with his style, he is the man who did designs for Vampire Hunter D novels and anime, Mamoru Oshii's Tenshi no Tamago, as well as illustrations for Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

All in all, it should turn out pretty interesting.

The plot is divided into 3 short ghost stories. Here is a synopsis:

Spoiler:

It's done by TOEI and here's the website: http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/ayakashi/

I can't say I am a big fan of horror stories, but this looks somewhat interesting and I am made hopeful by the success of previous Noitamina installments.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 10:06   Link #2
wao
OK.

I've always wondered whether this is really part of Noitamina or not... I always thought Noitamina was specifically josei.

But I guess either they changed the idea or I got it wrong (more likely)

Just one thing, Yoshitaka Amano's only doing the (original) designs for the first bit... the other 2 have their own designers.
Old 2006-01-02, 14:02   Link #3
mone-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
I've always wondered whether this is really part of Noitamina or not... I always thought Noitamina was specifically josei.

But I guess either they changed the idea or I got it wrong (more likely)

Just one thing, Yoshitaka Amano's only doing the (original) designs for the first bit... the other 2 have their own designers.
You can find alot of horror done by Josei artists so I see no problem with it being part of Noitamina as you can have horror stoies for a male or female audence.
mone-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 21:41   Link #4
harudasakurada

Send a message via AIM to harudasakurada
Oh, I'm so looking forward to this; I anticipate it the most out of all things starting in January.
I don't know if it's aimed at josei like Hachikuro and Parakiss, but I'm a girl, enjoyed the other two, and can't wait for it.
harudasakurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 15:32   Link #5
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Ayakashi

I have been looking forward to this series for sometime now after seeing it under the anime calender of AniDB. I am pleasantly surprised for getting the opportunity to create this thread because my search didn't yield in any existing threads on this show. It's also possible the recent forum crash took care of the existing thread.

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/ayakashi/
http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,3...,ayakashi.html

The series is based on a book Toukaidou Yotsuya Kaidan by Tsuruya Nanboku. The book is a collection of ghost stories which comes out in 1826. Apparently the book tells the tales of one of the most famous ghost stories in Japan. I didn't know much about this author prior to reading about him in various article. His original name is Katsu Hyozo. Then in 1811 he succeded to this name, Tsuruya Nanboku, from his father-in-law. He was a very successful palywright at that time in Japan.

The series is scheduled to air in the 10th of this month. It will be airing in Fuji Television in the same late night timeslot as its two previous series, Honey & Clover and Paradise Kiss. Seeing how good both of those series have been, I have high hopes with Fuji TV's current late night installment even if the genre is entirely different from its two successful series. I am very much fond of the dark moody art style as well, so I am looking forward to this series very much. Please feel free to add more information on the series.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 15:36   Link #6
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
I have been looking forward to this series for sometime now after seeing it under the anime calender of AniDB. I am pleasantly surprised for getting the opportunity to create this thread because my search didn't yield in any existing threads on this show. It's also possible the recent forum crash took care of the existing thread.

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/ayakashi/
http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,3...,ayakashi.html

The series is based on a book Toukaidou Yotsuya Kaidan by Tsuruya Nanboku. The book is a collection of ghost stories which comes out in 1826. Apparently the book tells the tales of one of the most famous ghost stories in Japan. I didn't know much about this author prior to reading about him in various article. His original name is Katsu Hyozo. Then in 1811 he succeded to this name, Tsuruya Nanboku, from his father-in-law. He was a very successful palywright at that time in Japan.

The series is scheduled to air in the 10th of this month. It will be airing in Fuji Television in the same late night timeslot as its two previous series, Honey & Clover and Paradise Kiss. Seeing how good both of those series have been, I have high hopes with Fuji TV's current late night installment even if the genre is entirely different from its two successful series. I am very much fond of the dark moody art style as well, so I am looking forward to this series very much. Please feel free to add more information on the series.
Sounds intresting, I love a good ghost story. A well done ghost story is even rarer then a well done Scifi series.

Rare, well done. now I am getting hungry for some steak
Old 2006-01-04, 19:18   Link #7
CelesAurivern
Mein Kampf :D
*Fansubber

This looks like a job for anime-kraze
CelesAurivern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 20:04   Link #8
Sakuya
*Artist

I have a feeling that by "Japanese ghost stories", they're referring to the folklore ones with weird monsters. I wonder if I should watch this series...
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 01:07   Link #9
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya
I have a feeling that by "Japanese ghost stories", they're referring to the folklore ones with weird monsters. I wonder if I should watch this series...
The following description is taken from animenfo to show why I am anticipating good things from this series..

Spoiler:
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 20:59   Link #10
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

This looks AMAZING, and considering its slot, it'll probably be the best anime of Winter '06. I can't wait!
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-10, 05:47   Link #11
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
This looks AMAZING, and considering its slot, it'll probably be the best anime of Winter '06. I can't wait!
You stole the words right from my mouth, mister.

And it airs today. Can't wait to see how it will turn out.
Old 2006-01-10, 21:54   Link #12
Sakuya
*Artist

Jigoku Shoujo and Ayakashi on the same day? It doesn't seem to be out yet... What time does Ayakashi air in Japan? I will definitely watch the first episode to see how it goes.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 03:46   Link #13
Ialdaboth

Quote:
What time does Ayakashi air in Japan?
On thursday night at 00:35.
Old 2006-01-12, 04:54   Link #14
kinniku_man
masked man

Friday, 0:50 - 1:20 am on FujiTV
Friday, 2:20 - 2:50 am on TokaiTV
Tuesday, 1:30 - 2:00 am on KansaiTV
kinniku_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 12:11   Link #15
LynnieS

Surreal artwork and character designs very much, IMHO, like those in old-style paintings. There's resemblance to "Samurai Champloo"'s style, I find.

Heavy on the dialogue... especially with the narrator and the keigo - I was pretty much lost. Very good introduction to the characters and their backstories, I thought, but the ED does give bits away... not that you don't already know how the story will play out, I suppose.

Music: OP is, of all things, hip hop, but the ED is of a calmer and softer style.

Initial rating: 7 / 10

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 17:13   Link #16
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

7 / 10 ... not bad! I can't wait until I get to see it... I asked yesterday, but unfortunately A-Kraze said they will not be subbing this series
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 19:41   Link #17
CelesAurivern
Mein Kampf :D
*Fansubber

S'ok I know some nice people who will
CelesAurivern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 19:51   Link #18
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Yup, it turned out to be part of Noitamina alright.

Good show too. I liked it, even though it was horror.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 21:42   Link #19
wao
OK.

Yeah... the front part had Noitamina thing. Honey and Clover's was blue, ParaKiss's was purple and this one's brown?

I was kind of lost with the dialogue at some bits, but it seems... ok to me. Nothing really freaks me out or scares me, but it's not got absolutely bad production... the most interesting bit was that lady with the baby looking very very sinister..

I like the character designs by Yoshitaka Amano the best. I only hope they feature more of his artwork.
Old 2006-01-13, 22:36   Link #20
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

http://www.sonicfighters.com/Fightin...0Island%5d.avi
Here's the opening video for those curiouis.
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noitamina