AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-13, 17:48   Link #301
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Great episode, it's just full of manliness it is quite refreshing from all the overexposed moe. I find it hard to believe it was directed by the same director who did InuxBoku where you couldn't find a trace of any alphamale. I guess it's not at all strange. I didn't know what to expect honestly coming from David Production but seems I got so much more than I expected.

I must say, beside the op, it's not too well animated but it just seems intentional to keep the spirit of the manga with the whole sound effects and it was exaggerated to the great effect, I just can't help but love this. While I like the op, I do like ED more just because I never expected them to use the song from old progressive band in the 70's.
Old 2012-10-14, 04:35   Link #302
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
I'm liking the sound of this. I have never seen such awesomely GAR englishmen. If this is only an appetizer, the main dish must be exquisite.~

In the case of episode 2, I figured that the mask had something to do with vampires. Now I'm wondering just how the Joestar family came into possession of such an item...

And yeah, it seems like there is some censoring for the more brutal attacks during fight scenes, but there's a large likeliness that it may be uncensored in the DVD release. Heck, it could be a LOT worse. They could have removed blood all-together.
As far as I'm concerned, you haven't even been seated yet.

Also, they seem to skipped the part about where the mask came from (only giving hints in the ED) but they never really explained how the Joestars got it in the first place. Considering that the mask was decoration at one point and this is 19th century Europe, I think the Joestars just bought whatever wasn't nailed down at the time.
The Bloodlust Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 13:03   Link #303
GundamZZ
残念美人

Just finished watching episode 2. Jojo just makes a friend from London's "Ogre Street". His name is REO Speedwagon... The hint makes me smile. The description of manga artist was he's fan of western pop music. This ending theme is so 1980's.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 13:24   Link #304
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
I'm liking the sound of this. I have never seen such awesomely GAR englishmen. If this is only an appetizer, the main dish must be exquisite.~
What's even better, this entire Part One segment is one of the weakest saga in Jojo.

Which doesn't mean it sucks, it simply means it the other arcs are godly.
Old 2012-10-14, 13:49   Link #305
rpgman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Great episode, it's just full of manliness it is quite refreshing from all the overexposed moe. I find it hard to believe it was directed by the same director who did InuxBoku where you couldn't find a trace of any alphamale. I guess it's not at all strange. I didn't know what to expect honestly coming from David Production but seems I got so much more than I expected.

I must say, beside the op, it's not too well animated but it just seems intentional to keep the spirit of the manga with the whole sound effects and it was exaggerated to the great effect, I just can't help but love this. While I like the op, I do like ED more just because I never expected them to use the song from old progressive band in the 70's.
A website showed the progress of male anime characters from the 80s' to the present and it was a huge change. From athletic mature characters to feminine younger characters over a period of time.

Ep.2 reminds me of Fist of the North Star since the men are GAR and over the top. The ED song is surprising since the singer is singing English. Modern shounen series tend to be softer and more emotional in general. At least Jojo reminds us of what shounen anime was like back then.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 14:00   Link #306
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bloodlust Kid View Post
As far as I'm concerned, you haven't even been seated yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
What's even better, this entire Part One segment is one of the weakest saga in Jojo.

Which doesn't mean it sucks, it simply means it the other arcs are godly.
Oh, man. I had always heard good things about Jojo; it's one of the series you always at least hear mentioned when you're part of the anime/manga community, but in the internet age, I've quickly grown accustomed to shrugging off hype. I hoped this would be good, but it's just exceeded every hope and expectation by so much it's scarcely believable.

There's not a single, no not one, second of boredom in these episodes. The larger-than-life characters are so earnest and compelling, it's virtually impossible not to get drawn into the plot and their start caring about the plights. If this represents one of the lower tiers of what the work has to offer, I don't even know what to expect anymore. But I sure as hell am eager to find out.
Old 2012-10-14, 14:22   Link #307
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post
The ED song is surprising since the singer is singing English.
It's a 70s song from that progressive group Yes.
Probably chose it due to Araki's fascination with western rock.
(You'll see many familiar rock nouns throughout the series)

EDIT: Oh wow, just saw the article about Araki meeting Clint Eastwood, and having him do Jotaro pose. That's just sheer awesome.

Last edited by aohige; 2012-10-14 at 14:40.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 14:59   Link #308
ellifeedn
Thinker

Which pose is that and are there pictures?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 15:42   Link #309
rpgman1

Quote:
It's a 70s song from that progressive group Yes.
Probably chose it due to Araki's fascination with western rock.
(You'll see many familiar rock nouns throughout the series)

EDIT: Oh wow, just saw the article about Araki meeting Clint Eastwood, and having him do Jotaro pose. That's just sheer awesome.
Yeah I thought as much, but it does make me wonder if the anime is targeting those who read the manga. The viewers have to be at least my age or even older to enjoy this kind of anime. Closest modern anime to Jojo with GAR and over the top lines is Sengoku Basara.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 16:24   Link #310
Blaat

I admit I thought the first episode was a parody but the second episode was awesome, DAT OP!
Old 2012-10-14, 16:43   Link #311
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm actually surprised that so many people are enjoying Phantom Blood so much, since as aohige already said, it is by far the weakest part of the saga (pretty much an Hokuto no Ken rip-off with vampires with rather dated storytelling, but it's part of its charm). It makes me wonder just how much you will love what will come next. You guys haven't seen anything yet.

I really can't wait until we get to Battle Tendency, one of my favorite part. This is when Jojo truly came into its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Which pose is that and are there pictures?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...clint-eastwood
Old 2012-10-14, 17:16   Link #312
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That's pretty much the coolest thing I've ever seen.
Old 2012-10-14, 20:02   Link #313
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Damn right, that's why when the anime announced everyone was like "OMG, plz at the very least let it cover Battle Tendency!"

Battle Tendency's where JoJo started its own formula and everything became awesome, although I'm surprised how I'm very entertained with this PB arc so far.. when I'm reading the manga its kinda boring and lame lol, although there is its own moment.

Can't wait for the next episode, shit about get real.
Old 2012-10-15, 03:05   Link #314
Blaat

Quote:
I'm actually surprised that so many people are enjoying Phantom Blood so much, since as aohige already said, it is by far the weakest part of the saga (pretty much an Hokuto no Ken rip-off with vampires with rather dated storytelling, but it's part of its charm).
I think this has more to do with the OP than the content of the episode.
Old 2012-10-15, 04:12   Link #315
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
I'm actually surprised that so many people are enjoying Phantom Blood so much, since as aohige already said, it is by far the weakest part of the saga (pretty much an Hokuto no Ken rip-off with vampires with rather dated storytelling, but it's part of its charm). It makes me wonder just how much you will love what will come next. You guys haven't seen anything yet.

I really can't wait until we get to Battle Tendency, one of my favorite part. This is when Jojo truly came into its own.
My thoughts exactly. That being said I started following the manga series from the thrid arc and only later I recovered the previous volumes, so this is probably why reading the first pages of phantom blood made me wonder if I wasn't reading something else completely

Not only the story, as someone already said in this thread, is more like a GARified version of Candy Candy but even the art style is different.

At this point Araki didn't even have a clear idea about what to do with this story, and there is still a blatant emulation of "Hokuto no Ken" in male designs, which will slowly evolve in Araki's own peculiar style.

I always thought of Phantom Blood as an interesting read for those who already knew what JoJo is truly about, since you can see in it the seeds of what will become later, but they have yet to fully blossom.

It's really strange to see how it is already being appreciated this much, well I guess this means the anime studio is doing a good job.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 04:26   Link #316
MartianMage

hahaha this episode... Jojo's just too GAR.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 10:45   Link #317
marvelB

Quote:

Heh, I actually posted that article about a week ago in the thread for the manga. But yeah, I guess I should've posted it here instead since more people would pay attention to the anime, anyway.....

Anyways, I've been wanting to give my impressions of the anime for a long while now, but limited internet access on my end prevented that. But luckily, I JUST finished marathoning the first 2 episodes! And what can I say, it's over-the-top, just as I'd expect from Jojo (though the violence was very obviously toned down..... it's been a good while since I've last read Phantom Blood, but I specifically recall we actually SAW Danny burning to death). And man, I had somewhat forgotten what a huge dick Dio was way back then ("Sure, I'll teach you boxing techniques, but never tell Jojo about it!"). But now I'm just waiting for when a certain Mr. Zeppeli (easily one of the most badass early Jojo characters) finally appears.....

Also, LOVE that opening. But still, it's going to be really weird to see how the anime handles all of the Jojo sagas past Stardust Crusaders....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 10:50   Link #318
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
But still, it's going to be really weird to see how the anime handles all of the Jojo sagas past Stardust Crusaders....
I'm actually very excited with the possibility of seeing Part 5 getting animated, as it's my favourite one. I hope they won't stop at Battle Tendency, but maybe I'm asking too much...
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 15:03   Link #319
Jetzero Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKey View Post
I'm actually very excited with the possibility of seeing Part 5 getting animated, as it's my favourite one. I hope they won't stop at Battle Tendency, but maybe I'm asking too much...
Well just looking at Amazon the show is looking like it may actually sell(kinda surprised me so I guess I underestimated the franchise's popularity a bit). Of course it's still too early to tell but if it does turn out to do pretty well then odds are we'll see part 3 and beyond animated(and hopefully with a better budget).
Jetzero Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 16:55   Link #320
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKey View Post

From what I heard, the anime's apparently covering ALL of the sagas, but I'm not entirely sure if that's true or not (so take that with a grain of salt, if you will).

Anyway, I suppose it's true that there's at least a high chance that we'll see part 5 getting an anime adaption.... it's one of the most popular Jojo sagas, after all (it's not my favorite personally, but that's just me). And the fact that it's more battle-oriented compared to part 4 and Stone Ocean certainly helps its case, as well. BTW, the same can also be pretty much said about Steel Ball Run (which I like a LOT more, BTW. It has the benefits of Gyro Zeppeli AND President Valentine, after all. ).

But really, it's part 4 and Stone Ocean that I'm worried about. Those two sagas are so atypical compared to the other sagas that I can't help but feel it would be a real beast of a task to give them a proper anime adaption. Guess the same could be said of Jojolion as well, but it's still relatively early in the story so who knows how that'll end up....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fabulous