AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-01-25, 13:48   Link #2941
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

You're still missing the point. Innovator or not, Setsuna was a better pilot in an inferior machine up against superior machines. His "Flag custom" only had the upgrade of some missiles and a sword/rifle. It did not have upgraded maneuverability, upgraded armor, upgraded anything for the core structure of the Flag. And he still came out on top using brilliant tactics.

Kira, in the same position, was a better pilot in an inferior machine up against (supposedly) superior machines. The only upgrade he had was an altered Striker Pack whose upgrade only works in the atmosphere anyway. He was pretty much stuck in the same position as Setsuna, and despite a stunning series of successes in an inferior machine (as the Strike is somewhat inferior planetside, due to being designed for space combat) and brilliant tactics against pilots who had far more experience in battle (like Waltfeld, in a machine that can one-shot the Strike and was designed for its environment, not to mention the victories against the Le Crueset/Zala team). And he still failed and needed an upgraded suit just to achieve victory.

Shield or not, there is absolutely nothing in previous experiences on the two shows with Kira to say that he could not have defeated the enemy strike force with the Strike Rouge. The only reason that he failed is because the writer wanted to show off the Strike Freedom curbstomping all opposition.

This action, however, makes it pretty inconsistent for Kira compared to everything before.
Old 2012-01-25, 15:15   Link #2942
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
And the Strike Rouge had the Ultimate Coordinator, a veteran from a war two years ago, and is one of the absolute best pilots in the SEED universe. What's your point?
A major plot point in Gundam Seed is that Coordinators are still humans, and not really all that superior to naturals. That's why you have several ace pilot naturals like Mu La Flaga, and Edward Harrelson and some naturals are even able to pass themselves off as coordinators. Being the "Ultimate Coordinator" simply means that Kira was given the intended attributes.

On the other hand Gundam 00 makes it clear that Innovators are a new species, they live a lot longer than humans, and are superior in every way.

Last edited by Charred Knight; 2012-01-25 at 16:09.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 16:48   Link #2943
LightMaster

Quote:
Kira, in the same position, was a better pilot in an inferior machine up against (supposedly) superior machines. The only upgrade he had was an altered Striker Pack whose upgrade only works in the atmosphere anyway. He was pretty much stuck in the same position as Setsuna, and despite a stunning series of successes in an inferior machine (as the Strike is somewhat inferior planetside, due to being designed for space combat) and brilliant tactics against pilots who had far more experience in battle (like Waltfeld, in a machine that can one-shot the Strike and was designed for its environment, not to mention the victories against the Le Crueset/Zala team). And he still failed and needed an upgraded suit just to achieve victory.
The situation wasn't the same though, there were key differences, big key differences even. I'm not going to pretend like I remember the scene with Setsuna perfectly, fairly certain however there were less enemies to deal with. They were centralized too, three of them all in nearly the same exact place. Kira could have handled that easily. But when you've got a number of Mobile Suits flying around in different areas you can't watch everything...he couldn't shoot the ZAKU simply because he didn't have time, barely made it to block it.
LightMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 17:08   Link #2944
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
A major plot point in Gundam Seed is that Coordinators are still humans, and not really all that superior to naturals. That's why you have several ace pilot naturals like Mu La Flaga, and Edward Harrelson and some naturals are even able to pass themselves off as coordinators. Being the "Ultimate Coordinator" simply means that Kira was given the intended attributes.

On the other hand Gundam 00 makes it clear that Innovators are a new species, they live a lot longer than humans, and are superior in every way.
That's nice and all, but until SEED starts backing up the "Ultimate Coordinator isn't very special" idea they keep spouting, I'm going to keep believing the Ultimate Coordinator really is that. You and I both know that was the whole bloody point of Kira being the Ultimate Coordinator.

And it still does not change the fact that Kira is one of the best MS pilots in the entire bloody SEED franchise, if not the best, so that still doesn't excuse Kira's sudden subpar performance before getting the Strike Freedom.
Old 2012-01-25, 17:19   Link #2945
tetsuo69

monster has said pretty much what i wanted, there no way anyone else in kira place could had done anything else while trying to take a shot for eternal from the gunner zaku.
Old 2012-01-25, 17:19   Link #2946
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
This is the same director who said that the only newtypes in SEED are Rau and Mwu, 3 years later in Destiny, guess what? Kira is one now, and Arguably, Lacus is one too.
Didn't Fukuda claim that Kira's Newtype Flash was just an homage to MSG?

Quote:

This is the same guy who's said that Kira and Lacus are the intended antagonists for the show despite them hogging the focus of the story for the second half of Destiny.
Fukuda didn't say that, but he was quoted as saying that Kira/the Archangel Crew were "straying from the path of justice".

Quote:

If what fukuda says was true, then It's another point for SEED and Destiny being Twilight! With Mobile Suits.
Comparing Chiaki Morosawa to Stephenie Meyer is an insult to Stephenie Meyer.

Quote:
...if only Lacus' characterization wasn't Bellaish...
At least in the original Twilight novels, they were told in a first-person perspective, from Bella's point of view.

I don't know how the viewers can sympathize with Lacus.
Old 2012-01-25, 19:16   Link #2947
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
Comparing Chiaki Morosawa to Stephenie Meyer is an insult to Stephenie Meyer.

At least in the original Twilight novels, they were told in a first-person perspective, from Bella's point of view.

I don't know how the viewers can sympathize with Lacus.
Ohh my god, I know Seed isn't perfect, and Lacus is inherently flawed, but I'd sympathize with her over Bella any day. Leaving the Mary Sue stuff aside, at least Lacus has a cause and purpose in life and isn't focussed solely on being an eternal doormat to a pedophile stalker with sexuality issues.
Twilight is an awful, awful book in which absolutely everything is wrong and you need to read the thing back and forth to come up with at least one thing that was well-done or that's positive or sends any messages that aren't disturbing and/or misogynistic or plain retarded.
At least Seed, despite it's sometimes huge flaws has some good characters/ mech/ story that still keep people invested enough to want to watch a remaster years later.

Twilight has none of that going for itself, the plot doesn't exist, not one character is likable and everyone is pathetic to the core.

As much as Seed isn't perfect, and as much as I hate defending Morosawa, but she's done a much better job than Meyer ever did or could- we have to at least give her that.

Funny about your sig btw, thanks for clarifying I so hoped it was an actual interview, because that would just be hilarious (it still is, but you know what I mean).
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 19:32   Link #2948
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Shield or not, there is absolutely nothing in previous experiences on the two shows with Kira to say that he could not have defeated the enemy strike force with the Strike Rouge. The only reason that he failed is because the writer wanted to show off the Strike Freedom curbstomping all opposition.

This action, however, makes it pretty inconsistent for Kira compared to everything before.
Oh, there's no doubt that Strike Freedom was the point of it. But that doesn't mean there's any inconsistency in Kira's behavior.

All you're doing is comparing it to cases where Kira had his phase shift armor and/or his shield to help him back in SEED. And neither of those proved effective in this particular scene.

So, again, I must ask: Where is the inconsistency on Kira's part?

- Is it because Kira tried to block an incoming shot aimed at another target?
He's done that before in SEED.

- Is it because he came barging into a battle?

- Is it because he managed to dodge several shots aimed at him?

- Is it because he managed to score hits on multiple targets in a very short time?

The only thing that's different here is that his suit was damaged when blocking a shot. That's it.
And that says more about the difference in technology than it does about Kira as a pilot.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 20:02   Link #2949
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Ohh my god, I know Seed isn't perfect, and Lacus is inherently flawed, but I'd sympathize with her over Bella any day. Leaving the Mary Sue stuff aside, at least Lacus has a cause and purpose in life and isn't focussed solely on being an eternal doormat to a pedophile stalker with sexuality issues.
Twilight is an awful, awful book in which absolutely everything is wrong and you need to read the thing back and forth to come up with at least one thing that was well-done or that's positive or sends any messages that aren't disturbing and/or misogynistic or plain retarded.
At least Seed, despite it's sometimes huge flaws has some good characters/ mech/ story that still keep people invested enough to want to watch a remaster years later.
Lacus Clyne is a traditional Yamato Nadeshiko, nothing really to like but at the same time nothing to really hate. She's a character you can find a copy of in several places (most famously Belldandy from Oh My Goddess). There are far worse characters that I can think of who are obnoxious, and are treated like they are some great person.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 20:50   Link #2950
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
Lacus Clyne is a traditional Yamato Nadeshiko, nothing really to like but at the same time nothing to really hate. She's a character you can find a copy of in several places (most famously Belldandy from Oh My Goddess). There are far worse characters that I can think of who are obnoxious, and are treated like they are some great person.
that's what I was trying to say, more or less ^^' There are some things to like about her though, whereas there's nothing to like about Bella- who is just one example of those "far worse characters" imo.

I would actually credit Lacus for being a bit more than just a Yamato Nadeshiko however, for some of the better things she does.
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 21:38   Link #2951
Washu-Chan