AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 44 33.85%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 47 36.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 12.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 12.31%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 1.54%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-02, 22:39   Link #81
cshard

Agree especially on the points for Takeshi. Seems to me that either he gets his cash from the same place Aono is getting hers from or he gets it's from less than legal means... imo it's like there's some phantom interest free loan company that gives money to orphans, runaways and the recently revived. Also, something that did bother me about the sword was, who in their right mind would actually make it? Unless Yakas were some plague that overran Japan some time in the past or near present, I can't see any swordsmith crafting it for absolutely no reason, let alone have a detailed method on how to use it to revive a yaka with it.

It's a pity that we probably won't get most of those answers from the special eps, since answering them would take way too long. If they at least give us additional backstory / future events relevant to the first 13 episodes. I'll be happy.

Anyway, it's not like I'm really gonna hate the series for not giving enough exposition. It's still one of my top choices for the year.

@ Telliamed

Having Yorito be something other than paper would be a good option, but in that case, they'd have to really rewrite much of the interactions between Aono, Matsuri and him. It'll have to be that he dies in all routes, revives / reincarnates in a few selected ones, or he's always human in them imo.

Mana gets shafted in the first option, so I hope it's option two at the least.

Having Mana as a playable character, or perhaps THE main character would be pretty unique. XD Although you kinda wonder what Mana is doing peeping in on any romantic moments for the other characters if that's the case.
Old 2007-07-02, 22:44   Link #82
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Eh? I just assumed that Aono creates her own money. I mean, she can transform paper into swords, houses, and people, so why not some good-old currency?
Old 2007-07-02, 23:01   Link #83
cshard

I mean after she reverts to being human. Which is why I mentioned "...the recently revived..." Guess I forgot to explain that properly. ^_^'

She was definitely her own bank when she was still a Yaka.
Old 2007-07-03, 04:01   Link #84
JediNight
キズランダム

I wonder what the significance of the 2 cans of Tomato Shiruko on the bench is supposed to be at the very end of the episode. Obviously we are supposed to be reminded of Yorito and Matsuri, but is it some hint at a "everyones happy" ending in the special eps where they somehow came back to life or something?
Old 2007-07-03, 04:05   Link #85
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
I wonder what the significance of the 2 cans of Tomato Shiruko on the bench is supposed to be at the very end of the episode. Obviously we are supposed to be reminded of Yorito and Matsuri, but is it some hint at a "everyones happy" ending in the special eps where they somehow came back to life or something?
I believe it's just a sign to everyone that Yorita and Matsuri was not an illusion or a dream, they did excist, and weand Aono should not forget them.

for they to be alive I don't think it's possible.
Matsuri maybe but I don't think it's wice to think anymore about it.
Then we will be talking abourt the countless possibillities forever ^^

Old 2007-07-03, 04:29   Link #86
JediNight
キズランダム

She could have stabbed herself and Aono thru the stomach with the sword now that it was "activated" with the blood lol
Old 2007-07-03, 05:34   Link #87
Nemesis2124

Well, this sort of thing is specifically designed so it's impossible to ever really conclude anything, thus prolonging interest as long as possible. After all, they have a game and DVDs to sell now.

It's also rather rare for a show to throw you a related bone in the extra content. So, it's probably best to ignore it now, or risk being perpetually confused.
Old 2007-07-03, 07:29   Link #88
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

The cans seem to be under attack here I don't think they survived, and not like they would be the only ones that could have put the cans there, but it is not that hard to come up with an explanation how the two could have survived either. Since we have no exact idea on how the sword works, we can speculate that Matsuri drained Aono of her yaka powers (transfering them to herself), thus making Aono human. In turn she gained Aono's ability to make haunted toilet paper and resurrected paper Yorito. Voila

Though seriously - i don't think they have survived and the cans are simply a reminder of their existence.
Old 2007-07-04, 01:52   Link #89
Forever
Revealing the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshard View Post
I mean after she reverts to being human. Which is why I mentioned "...the recently revived..." Guess I forgot to explain that properly. ^_^'

She was definitely her own bank when she was still a Yaka.
She probably keeps a lot of real money just in case. She probably keeps making big notes so that she will get back lots of change. I cant imagine how many people have been conned by her, considering she lived so long. I can forsee lots of people all over the world reporting they have been robbed and the theives have replaced their notes with paper.
Old 2007-07-04, 18:39   Link #90
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

sola

Well, this is for me the end of another beautiful and elaborated story.

I think a single reason why sola worked with its rich content and execution was due to its small cast of characters, which kept us immersed and focused upon them.

With few characters in the main and supporting roles there's plenty of room to actually care for them all and witnessing how they grow up.

I can have solid conclusion about the ending, which is only from my personal view, therefore, I am only speaking on behalf of myself.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-07-04, 23:42   Link #91
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well I guess that's it for the series. Really was quite the ending and I enjoyed how things worked out even if there are some holes and inconsistencies that have been already looked into.

Nice to see Aono starting everything over again and being willing to live. Guess she was able to take a lot of time figured out that living wasn't such a bad option after all. Could be some of the bonds she made with Koyori for example was enough to keep her living. Even if she wouldn't remember seems like the feelings are still there which is why it was easy to build the friendship again.

Gotta love the bit with Takeshi really getting it. Personally I found the music dying off when he made the comment about her fashion sense kind've funny. Curious what would happen to those two down the road but guess we can just hope for the best. Wouldn't be bad to have a little arc for them really.

Really the cans I felt too were just a symbolic thing. Letting us know that they weren't forgotten and personality traits and memories live on even if they've left. For some reason having Yorito stabbed was a nice thing as well. (Hadn't felt that positive about a character death since Flllay got blasted into oblivion.)

A pretty good series overall. Liked how the things ended off and its a show I'll remember.
Old 2007-07-05, 01:58   Link #92
Horo Haru
nyah~ :3

I think the cans were related to prove that Matsuri and Yorito are not gone. We can think about Matsuri and Yorito wandering together in the night without anyone knowing because some unkown reason.
Old 2007-07-05, 07:54   Link #93
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I agreed with the ending but i was still freakin sad i mean i know better than to get attached to star crossed lovers in anime we all know what happens to most of them. The ending did showed that through 2 sacrifices 1 other was able to live her life to the fullest and it looks like Aono will do that. At least i didnt cry like a little baby like i did with Air
Old 2007-07-07, 19:18   Link #94
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
It was a good ending episode. I don't think that the ending was meant to make the audience sad, but smile. Of course, I personally was hoping that it would turn out that all three became human. I know the two cans were meant as a reminder of sorts, but it makes you think of the possibilities. With Mayuko seemingly being the last Yaka, I feel bad for her. She's stay that age forever until she's turned back to normal while Takeshi ages and will eventually die. But, like I said before, it was a good ending.
Old 2007-07-07, 23:58   Link #95
nanafan
horo fan

i thought it was a good ending.
Spoiler for end:
Old 2007-07-08, 21:00   Link #96
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler:
Old 2007-07-09, 00:00   Link #97
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Wonder if Koyori's skull has some dents in it? Poor Koyori keep getting a karate chop on her head by Mana. That's no way to treat a cute girl like Koyori no? Lol! she even developed a scared reflex everytime she sees a hand in a karate chop gesture (as proven by Aono's action )
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2007-07-10, 11:08   Link #98
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
Wonder if Koyori's skull has some dents in it? Poor Koyori keep getting a karate chop on her head by Mana. That's no way to treat a cute girl like Koyori no? Lol! she even developed a scared reflex everytime she sees a hand in a karate chop gesture (as proven by Aono's action )
Thats what therpy is for
Old 2007-10-08, 13:37   Link #99
Caiobrz
Frantic Waller

Lots of stuff already said, I would just add my 2 cents on the cans since for some reason beyond any logic people keep nagging about it...

The two cans are just a pretty representation of the two main characters that were lost and did not participate in most of the end episode, as well as a reminder for them. Period.

I don't think that reading too much between the lines is healthy =p

Now, about Aono's seeming lack of guilt and remorse over how she was granted her life, come on people, it takes place 6 months after those events, if 6 months are not enough than how long it is? Do you want to see her crying and punching herself for weeks, than just sobbing for some other weeks, and then finally comming to terms with this and returning to the town ... 6 months later? that would totally spoil the title.

Yeah she did regret and suffer enough their deaths, and I do think 6 months is more than enough, specially if you take into consideration that it's common oriental behaviour to respect those long gone by actually living on respecting their memories, the same as she does ... 6 months later.

To me, she had enough time of sorrow, all that time avoiding contact proves that.
Old 2007-10-14, 06:35   Link #100
wtffmp111

My personal opinion is that they're alive. You can easily explain Matsuri being alive, there's plenty of predecessors that keep characters alive through scenes like that.

Yorito, now that's a little more tricky. What I'd bet on is that the *real* Yorito is a Yaka somewhere. It would be simple to write that into the story I think, after all Matsuri herself said she "never found his body" in an earlier episode's flashback. There's plenty of room to have him be a Yaka in a second season or something, no paper Yorito's necessary!

:P

On the episode itself though, I was really saddened/disappointed by the ending until the cans shot. I hate animes that end sadly like sola did. I'm the type of guy who always wants the protagonists that I like to succeed in the end, it's just not enjoyable afterwards if they don't. That's why I'm nursing a small hope for the 2nd OVA at least, and maybe a 2nd season because of the 2 cans scene.

Personally, I hate Aono, I think she's selfish and definitely didn't deserve to claim both Yorito and Matsuri's lives for the sake of her happiness.

Love Matsuri though, her character makes me so sad though, the way she's alone.
Closed Thread