AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-08, 15:38   Link #81
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I thought episode one was very promising. The animation was decent, the backgrounds atmospheric, the music good, and the voice-acting excellent. Koshimizu Ami's Horo was both wolf and woman, and Fukuyama Jun's Lawrence was on target as both young and mature -- even if, as Kurogane says, he may not have quite settled on a voice. Those long conversations between Lawrence and Horo may work after all. We even got Nazuka Kaori doing a star turn as the village maiden who wants Lawrence.

I thought the pacing and feel of the piece were very good, much like the manga. And just as in the manga, the main female character was effectively naked through most of the episode -- and it didn't seem gratuitous. Anyway, so far so good.

By the way, I noticed a lot of Korean names in the credits for the animation, and a lot of Vietnamese names for the backgrounds. Is it possible that Imagin has improved itself with foreign talent?

By the way, since aroduc's post wasn't spoilered, I didn't spoiler mine, either. I don't think there are any real spoilers in what I wrote, especially for anyone who has been reading this thread.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-01-08 at 15:59.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 16:47   Link #82
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 1
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 16:52   Link #83
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
ep 1
Spoiler:
well, I can't tell if the manga obmited things or the anime added because both are beased on the novels.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 17:23   Link #84
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Anime added a character. Downloading RAW. Just barely containing myself. Going to explode, etc..

EDIT: Fuck yeah, awesome OP. I can see this being a very calming, sleeper anime. Win. I have enough explosions in my life as it is.
Old 2008-01-08, 17:45   Link #85
Woland
Latin Rascal

Mmmm, it's probably me but Horo speak with a strange inflection/dialect. I can't remember if I've never heard those expressions before...
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 17:52   Link #86
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

She's speaking in an ancient dialect of japanese (since she's a bit older, eh?). Very formal and poetic in some ways. Points to the script writers for including that aspect.

Random Curiosity has spoiler review and screencaps up for anyone who is interested. I can't say I'm ecstatic at the animation and anime artwork... but then I'm still Kyoani-damaged. (proceeds to spin in the chair hoping someone has picked it up for subbing).

I'm going to be interested to see how any sub group handles her dialog.... ... okay I'm not certain what time period the story is set in (other than "mid-feudal") so I'm not certain what stylism a subgroup might go for.

Given that the main cast speaks polite-modern japanese mostly.... drop back 250 yrs.... hmmm, almost Middle English if they use modern polite english in the sub????
Old 2008-01-08, 18:04   Link #87
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
She's speaking in an ancient dialect of japanese (since she's a bit older, eh?). Very formal and poetic in some ways. Points to the script writers for including that aspect.

Random Curiosity has spoiler review and screencaps up for anyone who is interested. I can't say I'm ecstatic at the animation and anime artwork... but then I'm still Kyoani-damaged. (proceeds to spin in the chair hoping someone has picked it up for subbing).

I'm going to be interested to see how any sub group handles her dialog.... ... okay I'm not certain what time period the story is set in (other than "mid-feudal") so I'm not certain what stylism a subgroup might go for.

Given that the main cast speaks polite-modern japanese mostly.... drop back 250 yrs.... hmmm, almost Middle English if they use modern polite english in the sub????
Yeah, that's going to be interesting to see. I don't know if anyone's subbing it. Hope someone out there is. Some guy lurked #moob a while back researching the series for whatever group he belonged to. :l

Time for me to edit ClockworkGiantPandas.com. D:
Old 2008-01-08, 18:20   Link #88
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
Mmmm, it's probably me but Horo speak with a strange inflection/dialect. I can't remember if I've never heard those expressions before...
Yeah! I was having to rewind to some parts of her dialogue too.
Old 2008-01-08, 18:30   Link #89
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Makes me wonder if the japanese version should have had Horo's dialog subtitled for Japanese A lot of English speaking people have a terrible time with Shakespearian of even Victorian dialog.
Old 2008-01-08, 18:41   Link #90
golthin

Quote:
A lot of English speaking people have a terrible time with Shakespearian of even Victorian dialog.
that is so funny, i never had problem with those!
Old 2008-01-08, 18:46   Link #91
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
that is so funny, i never had problem with those!
Perhaps you got a decent education or paid attention in English class. You might have even read classical books instead of filling your head with useless vidyagaem factoids as a young adult (I'm looking at you, Mr. 19-year-old Pokemaniac).
Old 2008-01-08, 18:47   Link #92
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It isn't that they can't follow the grammar... its that the word usage and complexity of sentences -- they're unfamiliar with.

A lot of high school students will spend an entire semester just trying to figure out what Shakespeare's lines mean (using lots of footnotes, definitions, and references), especially in his social and political satires.

I've run into problems with students who need help with authors as recent as Mark Twain or H.G. Wells.

And of course, just go far enough back -- hardly anyone traverses Beowulf without a jaunt into the language of Old and Middle English.

Sorry, linguistics and ancient tongues are one of my personal interests and quirks so I'm rather interested to find out what era they've placed Horo's language style in.... I've also seen conflicting data on her goddess aspect's age: one source said 250 yrs, another said 600 years.

(rats, my usual source for 'original files' doesn't have ep 1 listed yet...)
Old 2008-01-08, 19:27   Link #93
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

It's closer to 600 years, Vexx. Also, some translation I read leads me to believe no human in this series lives past the age of 75. It could have been a mistranslation, perhaps the average lifespan for a human is 75 years in WaS's universe. Either way, I'm pretty convinced there's some interesting underlying plot, other than "lol, Church haet Horo, Horo is an immortal pagan diety". I'm getting serious Scrapped Princess vibes.
Old 2008-01-08, 19:38   Link #94
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ah thanks... .... and yeah, I'd suspect the intent of the human age was that it was average or simply rare for anyone to live past 75. Average lifespan for humanity was about 40 yrs until the 19th C. You either died as a young child... got injured and died by 40... or became the rare astonishing elder and lived a long life.

I'm assuming there's the Church-pagan transition plot (shades of the recent film adaptation of Beowulf... or a lot of the transitional stories in the Arthurian sagas) coupled with the relationship of wolf and merchant (professional, social, romantic?) coupled with her potential immortality and his short lifespan (ala Arwen and Aragorn).
AND, of course, the interesting economics of early trade, merchants, and agriculture.
Old 2008-01-08, 19:54   Link #95
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

The 40 year life expectancy was a function of a bimodal distribution of life- most either died very young or old.

So far I'm not impressed with this. All depends on where they go from here. I'll keep a cautious hope.
Wavedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 19:57   Link #96
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Well, after downloading the raw, I was rather entertained not understanding 99% of the dialogue.

I liked the unhurried pace of the episode and was not bored at all. A good start and gets a solid 9 out of me.

Here are some Horo avatars and a sig from episode 1:

*. *. . *. . *. *. .

Free for all!

EDIT: * Denotes claimed avatar

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2008-01-09 at 03:07. Reason: listing claimed avatars
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 19:58   Link #97
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Ah thanks... .... and yeah, I'd suspect the intent of the human age was that it was average or simply rare for anyone to live past 75. Average lifespan for humanity was about 40 yrs until the 19th C. You either died as a young child... got injured and died by 40... or became the rare astonishing elder and lived a long life.

I'm assuming there's the Church-pagan transition plot (shades of the recent film adaptation of Beowulf... or a lot of the transitional stories in the Arthurian sagas) coupled with the relationship of wolf and merchant (professional, social, romantic?) coupled with her potential immortality and his short lifespan (ala Arwen and Aragorn).
AND, of course, the interesting economics of early trade, merchants, and agriculture.
You bring up a very interesting point with the LotR reference. It'll be fun to see how that plays out.

Anyhow, uploading raw to Veoh. This might take a while. I am a gigantic faggot for Horo. Updated ClockworkGiantPandas.com and continually adding more stuff as you guys post it/I find it. Please continue.
Old 2008-01-08, 19:59   Link #98
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I'll grab this one. Thank you kindly
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 21:01   Link #99
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Saw the first episode. I have to agree it feels a bit slow, but the stopping point is perfect as a first episode, so I guess they had to stretch things out a bit and hope for a quicker pace soon. Being dialogue heavy coupled with Horo's accent doesn't make things easier, either.

Koshimizu Ami's Horo was just perfect, I retract all doubts about her being Horo. The accent she put in is just enamoring. On the other hand, Fukuyama Jun sounded too much like Lelouch. I think it'll take me a while to get Lelouch out of my head.

Edit:
Spoiler for Episode 1:

Last edited by dahl_moon; 2008-01-08 at 21:12.
dahl_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 21:34   Link #100
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen