AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2008-11-25, 20:38   Link #1
Nerroth
NePoi!

Merlin (BBC series)

Hi.

Looks like Auntie has a new take on a certain legend.

Although, it has no sub-Romans, Merlin's not a de-Ascended Ancient, and 'Arthur' is not Arturia... but aside from all that, I wonder if it's any good?

And also:

Quote:
In April 2008, broadcast rights were purchased by NBC,[9] the first British television series for many years to be purchased by a major television network in the US. The distributor, FremantleMedia Enterprises, also sold broadcast rights to CTV in Canada and Network Ten in Australia.[10][11][12] The series will be broadcast in the U.S. in January 2009.
Old 2008-12-14, 19:11   Link #2
achirist

It is immature, watered down, cliched stupid, moralistic trash that turns the legends into the stuff of conservative 'family television.' It might as well be a spinoff of the old xena/hercules series; it features the same childish morality, complete with a wildly murderous pro-monarchy subtext that I'm sure serves the BBC well with their focus on feudalist dramas about poor rich people in the past. The low-budget renderings have a monster-of-the-day episodic format nearly as ridiculous as that in sailor moon. It is brainrot, pure and simple.
achirist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-14, 19:13   Link #3
iLney

Man, take a chill pill. Even if it's that bad, you can still watch it for the lulz
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-14, 21:05   Link #4
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

Terrible show. Stopped watching after the second or third episode, hoping it would get better. Turned it off after the dragon says something along the lines of "it is not the end, Merlin, but the beginning" and Merlin responding with an equally moronic "Oh that's just great."

Did I mention the close-up of Merlin's eye? The opening sequence has a mysterious close-up to his eye. I guess it's supposed to look hip and edgy.

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-14, 22:07   Link #5
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

as a uk citizen i have to say..........NBC is the most stupiedst networks ever. the show is really bad and possiblly a bad representation of what the UK is capeble of.

the start is like oh Merlin is a sorcerer and they are banned, and get there head chooped off, so lets send him to the capital of the place, where everyone hates them and are looking to kill them. what a clever idea......

there are so amny better series out there. some of my favs are Hustle, which is by far the best in the BBc schedule. then shows like Dr Who and ITV have Primevil, which is a great show.

by far a big mistake.
if they have that much money why not start up Journyman again(don't know which nework it was shown on as i am British)
Old 2008-12-14, 22:19   Link #6
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

The BBC only really make a good show every so often, this unfortunetly isn't one of them.

Dr Who is way better.

thing with BBC is making big WOW factor shows I think they kinda lack somewhat but on the other hand they do know how to make a documentary. Noone else can compare to the BBC on Docs. I'm a huge fan of the BBC's doc on well whatever they do, espeically their nature ones.

most of British tv is taken up by reality shows, which made me hope and look forward to this, pity that its rather crap

*goes to watch Top Gear on BBC iPlayer* now thats a show
Old 2008-12-14, 22:40   Link #7
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

Top Gear rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2008-12-14, 23:15   Link #8
Xvoki

Lol, This has to be the worst adaptation of the Arthurian legend I have ever seen. I can't believe they wasted TV Licence payers money for this shit.
Xvoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-14, 23:40   Link #9
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post

*goes to watch Top Gear on BBC iPlayer* now thats a show
Exactly. BBC's best productions are Top Gear and Top Gear [the mag]
Everything else is meant for old aunties in some faraway cottage in the most remote corner of the Scottish Highlands or some secluded place in SE England, near enough to France that they get bombarded with French messages every day.
Old 2008-12-14, 23:56   Link #10
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Exactly. BBC's best productions are Top Gear and Top Gear [the mag]
Everything else is meant for old aunties in some faraway cottage in the most remote corner of the Scottish Highlands or some secluded place in SE England, near enough to France that they get bombarded with French messages every day.
Lies! Pride and Prejudice the miniseries was the best Austen adaptation I've ever seen, ever.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 18:44   Link #11
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I don't watch shows like this to begin with, I do watch others from time to time but from the commercials you see you can generally tell if it is a fail show or not, either way I didn't like it to begin with not that I mind Merlin but I don't like the setting and everything they placed it in
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 20:15   Link #12
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Pride and Prejudice the miniseries was the best Austen adaptation I've ever seen
I concur, it was quite good, but then a lot of the BBC period dramas are, if you like that sort of thing (which I do), because they put a lot behind them.

The base stories are generally from a specific and established author with strong literary heritage, wouldn't be a period drama if this were not the case. Clearly not the case with Merlin, as it seems to be a completely new story with no real roots. So you're left with whatever the screen writers come up with, and their ability.

The effect of the variability of which is evident in Dr. Who, I think. Some episodes are very good (my opinion of course) and some are dire. With Pride and Prejudice as with the recent Dickens adaptation, Little Dorrit (both penned by Andrew Davies), you have a well know and liked writer, who knows what he is doing with the material. It is rare to get a good screen writer on a project like Merlin (not impossible, just rare).

Thirdly, the actors involved. Period drama always attracts a good set established actors, often with strong stage careers (even the younger ones, e.g. Claire Foy) doing similar material. The big names in Merlin are only there as part of the promotional gloss. What were they thinking with the whole dragon thing... x_x.

Add it all up and Merlin is destined to look awful to the point that they're almost incomparable.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 00:08   Link #13
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayote View Post
Top Gear rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
^^ Sheesh, I actually agree here. Top Gear is THE best BBC production ever!
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 14:03   Link #14
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

I don't remember past episodes so well, but on Merlin wiki for Morgana and Merlin says ''They shared a beautiful kiss once.'' Now because anyone can edit wiki I was wandering if someone here can confirm this and if it did when did it happen (which episode). Thank you
Old 2012-12-17, 03:14   Link #15
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Hrm. It appears Merlin will air its last episode with the series 5 finale. It's too bad, as while it's always remained cheesy, the actual story has become more interesting with the will they or won't they surrounding Merlin, Morgana, and Mordred (though still remains very ham-fisted; Merlin's attitude towards Mordred in season 5 has been painfully poorly written and acted out).

It appears to be doing well, and for a nice change of pace, it wasn't the suits who cancelled it, but the producers who wanted to end it instead (according to several UK outlets, at least). Which is strange, since the pacing made it seem like it was being ended by the suits, far earlier than intended.

I honestly thought, with this past season, that we were looking at least another year or two to deconstruct the Mordred, Morgana, Merlin relationship, and was caught quite surprised that it looks to instead be ending just when the story seemed to be getting started. I wouldn't have realized it was ending for good if I hadn't read the news while looking for a trailer for the season finale.

Anyways, it appears Morgana now knows who Merlin is, Mordred will likely be leading her Saxon army, and Arthur should meet his end in this battle that literally came out of nowhere. It's been mildly entertaining to see no good people in this show, with even Merlin himself being shown to be a rather unsavory guy, this past season.

If anything, Mordred was the one person in Season 5 who seemed truly good, and with the show's enthusiasm for taking aspects of the Arthurian legend very...liberally, I wonder what the odds are that Mordred kills Arthur, then ends up becoming the king Arthur failed to be, bringing actual peace to the kingdom and the druid community. I suppose there's a small chance, considering all the other liberties they've taken, that they end this take on the Arthurian legends by having Arthur survive (and win), but I really hope that, at least, they remain steadfast with tradition on. Morgana, at least if the previews are anything to go by, is likely not going to have a nice fate in store for her, which is too bad. I remember when the actress who played her was asked early on when the show was still getting off the ground, what she wanted to see in her character's future, and her response was really great, and would have made for a far more interesting Morgana than the one we got in this show.

Though, if Katie McGraw is right, Arthur should end up dead, as she's always said everyone knows the fate of the major characters. It's the how that the show is concerned about.

Finale Trailer:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
I don't remember past episodes so well, but on Merlin wiki for Morgana and Merlin says ''They shared a beautiful kiss once.'' Now because anyone can edit wiki I was wandering if someone here can confirm this and if it did when did it happen (which episode). Thank you
I've watched every single episode, and while I'm hardly a die-hard fan of the series, I can't recall Merlin ever kissing (or being kissed by), Morgana. In fact, the unresolved sexual tension between Merlin and Morgana seems to be one of the more popular things fans of this series are dying to see resolved (and I very much doubt it is resolved in any way with only one more episode left). Morgana-Merlin "shipping" seems to be one of-if not the most-popular topics among this show's fans.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2012-12-17 at 04:15.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 01:29   Link #16
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

OH NO THEY DIDNT!!!!!!!! how could they have ended a great series LIKE THAT!!!!!!!
Old 2012-12-30, 20:02   Link #17
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
OH NO THEY DIDNT!!!!!!!! how could they have ended a great series LIKE THAT!!!!!!!
The ending was so bad I had to laugh.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 21:27   Link #18
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I can't believe how the ending turned out. It would have been better for Arthur to discover Merlin's true identity rather than finding out in the last episode. That would have set the stage for more drama. The ending is definitely rushed. Watching the finale, I don't feel a proper sense of closure.

Poor Morgana. You are truly and utterly insignificant in the ending.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help

Last edited by MUAHAHAHAHAHA; 2012-12-30 at 22:15.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote