AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-06-10, 05:42   Link #2321
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Well it's certainly less sparse than Greenmantle started it with, that's for sure. However, it definitely needs someone who's much more savvier with the franchise than I am (or better, access to the series wikis, as those are blocked by my office's firewalls etc.).
Chrismas Cake and Fridge Logic had me LMAO!!! XD
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 06:20   Link #2322
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Christmas Cake was there before I even started on it. Take note, this was VERY bare-bones when I started this morning.

Also, someone who's watched most of the Yamato franchise seriously needs to pitch in. I haven't, so I'm pretty much groping in the dark.
Old 2013-06-10, 12:05   Link #2323
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I may be series knowledgeable. but I'm not trope knowledgeable.
Old 2013-06-10, 18:31   Link #2324
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Leave the trope-trawling to me. Got a lot of free time at the office right now, as apparently I can't even log in to the remote server today.

Anyway, let's start with the obvious: franchise mythology gags obvious to old hands, but would likely fly over the head of everyone else. Ithekro already mentioned that there's a whole gamut of characters in 2199 that only joined the cast in subsequent seasons, or were only present in the movies, and I remember someone saying that the "sinking" sequence during the Battle of Pluto was a nod to how the Yamato finally met its end in the third season. Stuff like that.
Old 2013-06-10, 19:23   Link #2325
macdawson

The sinking at Pluto is more than a nod to Final Yamato. The way yhe ship sinks, the rising plume of water and even the sound used are near carbon copies of that movie scene.
Old 2013-06-11, 18:04   Link #2326
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The problem could be that some of use have had this in their lives for pretty much their entire life, and just don't see what would be a homage from something normal anymore.

Or we see things that aren't there because we start reaching for connections. I see things that might be references or hints of other things, but I can't be sure they really are or not because of two things: I don't understand Japanese, and I don't know how this will end.

Understanding Japanese would help for things like interviews or reading the more intricate parts of the Japanese Wikipedia entries on Yamato 2199 (outside what a translation program can handle). Because if there are homages that I missed, I'm certain the older Japanese fans caught them and pointed them out.

The other problem of not knowing how it will end means that there are some homages that I can't tell if they are homagles yet or not. The plotlines that might connect the dots aren't there yet. I suspect somethings to be there, but it hasn't happened yet, so I don't know if it will happen. The largest ones being centered around the character of Mamoru Kodai. There are a bunch of things they might have done, and I suspect so many things, just I can't be sure if I'm right ot if I'm grasping at false signals.
Old 2013-06-14, 14:38   Link #2327
August138

I updated my blog with some musings on CHAPTER 6 with details on the contents of the Blu-ray, and other odds and ends. And then, there's this:

SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO: 2199 CHAPTER 7 "AND THE SHIP SAILED ON": Here is the herald for the final film opening in select Japanese cinemas on August 24th. The curious title is an allusion to Federico Fellini's E LA NAVE VA (And the Ship Sailed On, 1983), which depicts the events on board a luxury liner filled with a group of friends who have gathered to mourn a deceased opera singer.

Factoid: Interestingly, the Japanese translation of Fellini's title is「そして船は行く」(Soshite Fune-wa Yuku) while the Y2199 film substitutes「船」(fune) or "Ship" with「艦」(kan) from「戦艦」(senkan) or "Battleship" — which still can be read as "ship" in a nice play on words.
Old 2013-06-14, 19:35   Link #2328
calubin_175

The way Starsha is drawn on this poster definitely makes her the only character to resemble Leiji Matsumoto's style. It is still possible that Sasha is Starsha's twin sister in this continuity, but Yurisha is definitely younger.
calubin_175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 00:37   Link #2329
August138

Sasha and Starsha were never twins. In this continuity they are eldest, middle, and younger sisters.
Old 2013-06-15, 04:50   Link #2330
macdawson

First report on Chapter 6 with some awesome images.

http://newslounge.net/archives/82840
Old 2013-06-15, 06:10   Link #2331
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Wait, what, it looks like General Dietz is the one who's gone to the UN side for negotiations. Also, isn't that Domel's wife?

It bears asking, has Dessler ALWAYS been this big a Starsha fanboy even in the original?
Old 2013-06-15, 07:15   Link #2332
macdawson

Yes to both those questions. Though in the original, his passion for Starsha was a bit more subdued.
Old 2013-06-15, 10:16   Link #2333
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
First report on Chapter 6 with some awesome images.

http://newslounge.net/archives/82840
Mmm... Starsha and Yurisha. What I'd give to be on Iscandar. So sad that Sasha died at the start of the show though (and I liked her new outfit). I wonder who's the lucky bastard on the Yamato who'll end up with Yurisha.

BTW was it ever mentioned or shown in the original series if there were any male Iscandarians?
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 11:15   Link #2334
Beltane70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbayker View Post
Mmm... Starsha and Yurisha. What I'd give to be on Iscandar. So sad that Sasha died at the start of the show though (and I liked her new outfit). I wonder who's the lucky bastard on the Yamato who'll end up with Yurisha.

BTW was it ever mentioned or shown in the original series if there were any male Iscandarians?
No, it never was. Starsha and her sister are the only Iscandarians we ever see in the original.
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 11:24   Link #2335
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It seems inane to spoiler these but it has been requested.
Spoiler for Inane spoilers of the unknown knowledge:

Last edited by Ithekro; 2013-06-15 at 15:07. Reason: Inane is a fun word
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 12:21   Link #2336
enrico7113

this remake adds so much depth to the story and characters that you need to watch again old episodes to understand some questions that were left unanswered
enrico7113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 13:14   Link #2337
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

This was in the news section of Yamato2199.net (http://yamato2199.net/index.html)

What is going on in the lower most right image?
Spoiler for Large image:

Last edited by Ithekro; 2013-06-15 at 15:07.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 13:28   Link #2338
Vito
Asshole.

Slightly bigger pic than the one August posted http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/minhir315...1/610a258e.jpg was googling images for the last 24h and it popped up.
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 13:54   Link #2339
bumbayker

Well this was bound to happen sooner or later. Slapping Shingeki no Kyojin theme on anything is possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB4VC...ature=youtu.be
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 14:27   Link #2340
August138

Folks, watch the SPOILERS — especially in images —just tag them appropriately, please!
Spoiler for This will ruin it for you:
How hard was that?

Seriously, I don't want to be exposed to any more spoiler images until I receive my Blu-ray this coming week — so give us a break, please —use the proper posting etiquette in this regard, guys! If I look at a spoiler that's my business, but I don't want to be unknowingly exposed, especially since there are spoiler rules in effect on this board. I'm sure that others will appreciate your respect in this regard as well. Thanks!

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato