AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-06, 11:54   Link #1
Dark_Yojimbo666

Question The oldest anime?

Waht is the oldest anime with the worst picture that is currently available for download?
Old 2004-03-06, 13:11   Link #2
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

Umm... what?
Old 2004-03-06, 13:23   Link #3
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

Perhaps Doraemon (1970s)
Old 2004-03-06, 13:28   Link #4
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Lupin III and God Mars are also both up for download.
Old 2004-03-06, 13:53   Link #5
a7m4

There is Lupin III 1st Season (1971), Devilman TV (1972), Ace o Nerae (1973), 3000 Leauges in Search of Mother (1976), Galaxy Express 999 (1978), Future Boy Conan (1978), Rose of Versailles (1979). The sad thing is I that I know most of these years from memory.
Old 2004-03-06, 14:17   Link #6
Hisoka44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7m4
There is Lupin III 1st Season (1971), Devilman TV (1972), Ace o Nerae (1973), 3000 Leauges in Search of Mother (1976), Galaxy Express 999 (1978), Future Boy Conan (1978), Rose of Versailles (1979). The sad thing is I that I know most of these years from memory.
Lupin iii pilot is from 1969, older series like 8th man and astro boy from -63 is good, think they show info on them on animenfo
Old 2004-03-06, 16:54   Link #7
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Here is a bit of Japanese history trivia for you

"Momotaro no Umiwashi" 1942
"Momotaro no Shinpei" 1945

They said that Japanese anime history can find its roots from old manga films such as "Norakuro" and "Dankichi" from the early 1930s.

In 1942, a man named Seo Mitsuo saw Disney's "Fantasia" and was astonished how great this American motion picture animation was. He wished he could do something like that for Japan. In 1942, he released Japan's first motion picture anime, "Momotaro no Umiwashi." It became an instantaneous hit in wartime Japan.

The tragedy begins when the Japanese Naval Department saw this massive hit to be utilized to make propaganda. Of course, during this time, Japan was at war with the United States.

The Japanese Military went up to director Seo Mitsuo and dropped 270,000 yen (approximately $4 million in 1940s rate) in order to make a propaganda anime. However, tons of cash can only go so far when there are not enough supplies. Film rolls and development inks were scarce (priorities went to military news coverage). Animators who worked on this anime were being drafted into the now-apparently losing war. As the anime was in the final stages, it was evident that Japan was losing as the Americans made their island hopping advancements.

"Momotaro no Shinpei" was released in Osaka on April 1945. If you ever get to see this anime, you will be surprised how such a great quality anime was made, even for 1940s standards, on black-and-white film, at a time of scarcity and wartime crisis. To give a run-down: "A legendary Japanese hero named Momotaro leads the Japanese naval squadron against American ships - which are commandeered by Popeye (he is a sailor), Mickey Mouse, and Betty Boop."

Unfortunately, this was not the time for people to be watching anime. B2 bombers were blanketing Japanese cities after cities with gasoline and bombs, more and more men were being conscripted to death squads, with women and children fleeing areas for survival.

Director Seo saw no hope and was on the verge to commit suicide. However, he received a single fan letter from a high school student who wrote: "I was much amazed by the quality of your work! I wish I can become and create something like this one day!!" He lived on.

War ended with the dropping of two atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki on August 1945. The movie was taken away by the Allied Occupation forces as "propaganda films." However, the Allied Forces saw his work and saw Mr. Seo as a very great animator. He continued then was given a job to make - propaganda films supporting Allied Occupation.

Flash foward to 1964. Mr. Seo, was in retirement. All he wanted to do was make something great as "Fantasia." He ended up making propaganda films - for the Japanese forces during the war, and for the Allied forces during the Occupation period. He had all but given up hope of making anymore anime.

One day, however, he was watching TV in his living room. There was a new "moving manga" to be appeared on TV for the first time. A national broadcast was interviewing the creator.

Interviewer: "Why did you decide to create animation?"
Animator: "Well, back when I was in high school, I saw this beautiful animation called 'Momotaro no Shinpei,' and I said to myself 'I wish I could make something like this someday' " "I sent the director a letter about my thoughts - I wonder if he read it."

As Mr. Seo's began recalling his memory, he scrouged through his piles of materials to find that letter. As he was searching for it, the TV show went into a commercial: "Stay tuned for the new program = "Tetsuwan Atom" coming up next."

Mr. Seo found the letter. It read simply:

"Dear sir, your animation was very great! I would like to become an animator and create something as beautiful as this after the war ends.

Yours truly,

Osaka City Number 2 High School - Tezuka Osamu."
Old 2004-03-06, 17:21   Link #8
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

that is interesting info! I never knew that sorta of stuff about the orgins of japanese animation.....
Old 2004-03-06, 17:27   Link #9
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Thanks KJ1980 for your history trivia. It was interesting. Your an asset to the AS forums thats for sure.
Old 2004-03-06, 20:16   Link #10
Evan
天使我爱你

Well,is macross still available for download??
Old 2004-03-06, 20:47   Link #11
Buckie06

wow!! That was some very interesting info!! Its very interesting to find out about Astro Boy's creator and who inspired him. Thanks KJ1980!
Old 2004-03-06, 23:40   Link #12
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by <EvAnGeLiOn>
Well,is macross still available for download??
It's been licensed and available for purchase for quite some time now.
Old 2004-03-07, 01:57   Link #13
Spyre
"Soon"

I was under the impression that Astro boy was the first anime (1950s?). Guess I was wrong
Old 2004-03-07, 04:07   Link #14
a7m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyre
I was under the impression that Astro boy was the first anime (1950s?). Guess I was wrong
Nope, Tetsuwan Atom (Astro Boy) which was from 1963, was far from being the first anime. However, it was one of the first anime television series.
Old 2004-03-07, 07:16   Link #15
gundam na jutso

why go retro
Old 2004-03-07, 07:28   Link #16
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundam na jutso
why go retro
because many old shows often go overlooked and you can find some excellent things to watch, sure the animation might not be as smooth as it can be nowadays or it might look a bit different to what people watch now but quite a few of my favourite anime shows are considered 'retro' and some of them can piss all over shows currently being shown or shown recently

^______^ but i guess it's all about preference, like one of my friends doesnt like watching old anime, thinks it looks weird ^___^
Old 2004-03-07, 11:16   Link #17
user6177
Account Closed By Request

I think the Lupin III Series 1 episodes still have decent/good picture quality despite their age.

Last edited by user6177; 2004-03-08 at 05:40.
Old 2004-03-08, 05:05   Link #18
Kain

Whooo, Kj1980
Impressive knowledge......
very interesting.....
Old 2004-03-08, 07:16   Link #19
Renaissance Otaku
Shadow Member

Send a message via AIM to Renaissance Otaku Send a message via MSN to Renaissance Otaku Send a message via Yahoo to Renaissance Otaku
That was fascinating info. I always heard Tezuka was inspired by Disney, so I've never heard this before. Where did you get your info. Its great to hear some new history on anime. Very inspirational. t B-29 Superfortresses right? The B2 is a little too new to be fire bombing Japan.
Old 2004-03-08, 07:32   Link #20
ichido reichan

Dude, your story blew me away, Im used to read the story of manga & anime and I didnt know that story, and the ending that he received a letter from osamu tezuka when he was in school is almost unreal, but ofcourse I believe it.

Another trivia, the first manga published in japan as cheap medium of entertaiment post-war was Shin takarajima (the new treasure island) and its animated version went in color in a full series 10 years after, and if you look closely at osamu tezuka's art you will find something very familiar with Merrie Melodie's (if somebody remembers that show).

What we call "old school anime" is not really that old, there are for me around 5 periods of anime fandom-

-Old anime (1960-1975) all anime black and white and melodramatic stories

-First Golden age (1977-1981) all anime based on classic books, gatchaman, first space anime, first classic old school robots.

-Second golden age (1982-1990) all the golden era of macross, gundam, saint seiya, dragon ball, giant robots and the growt of shojo anime

- Contemporary anime: (1990-1999) where anime exploded again to all the world, animes like Akira, Memories,Evangelion, rurouni kenshin, more DBZ,Macross plus, ninja scroll and the growt of the OVA in many versions.

-Digital anime era (2000-2004) the time we are now, with all the anime done via computers and almost all the shows doesnt use cells to animate, and the fans got lazy and cheap that they dont want to pay anymore for anime, they just download now. the titles of this era are known for everybody but special mention to Naruto, Full metal alchemist, Peacemaker Kurogane and Hajime no Ippo.
Closed Thread