Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-03-31, 02:54   Link #2121
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
Quote:
so there's a chance he doesn't even understand Kyubey
there's a chance Kyuubey doesn't even quite understands hiimself/themselves.

Quote:
The idea that Kyubey is a force of nature stems from the impression that nature itself is impartial and objective - nature lacks emotion.
Well, I personally don't see Kyuubey as a force of nature, my point is that he seems to be pulling off that impression. I could even go as far as to suspect that his whole lecture in ep 9 might have been about this. Yes, audience-san, this IS a villain of the show, but he's dealing with far greater goals, he does not percieve evil, he even fails to feel emotions and ACT like your traditional villain - so turning this show into an anti-Kyuubey crusade would be pointless. That's the message I have an impression of getting back there. Of course, we still have two episodes, and the script obviously doesn't waste these on beaches and onsens, so I still expect a solid pack of info.

Quote:
I think that Kyubey has one last revelation to share with Madoka, given that all Kyubey does in this anime is talk.
It'll be ironic if he ends up being the one to inform Madoka of Homura's origin and goals. Which can be possible if he decides to play a shameless gambit: "So, basically, this girl is trying her best to save you, and she is determined to face Walpurgisnacht alone to protect you, but she stands no chance and will most likely meet her death in this unassisted battle... too bad, huh?" /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-31, 21:49   Link #2122
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
Well, I personally don't see Kyuubey as a force of nature, my point is that he seems to be pulling off that impression. I could even go as far as to suspect that his whole lecture in ep 9 might have been about this. Yes, audience-san, this IS a villain of the show, but he's dealing with far greater goals, he does not percieve evil, he even fails to feel emotions and ACT like your traditional villain - so turning this show into an anti-Kyuubey crusade would be pointless.
So by our limited human definitions, Kyubey is evil. In the scope of the universe (and nature), Kyubey is something far greater. You feel that Kyubey is a force of nature because he lacks emotions and ideas of evil.

That part sounds good and is supported by his own speech. However, I note Kyubey has intentions. I feel Kyubey to be unnatural because of the methods by which Kyubey achieves his intentions. He explains that human emotion can fix the universe's entropy, a natural occurrence. In order to harvest human emotion, Kyubey grants a wish.

If one can wish for anything, then the process by which Kyubey grants wishes seems unnatural. Kyubey can warp the minds of humans, fix severe disabilities, and even save people from dying. Kyubey notes that his race is technologically advanced enough to do this and harvest human emotion - another piece of evidence to suggest Kyubey is disrupting the natural processes of the universe. Therefore, I find Kyubey to be unnatural.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-31, 22:47   Link #2123
Xacual

I don't know if it was posted yet at least I didn't see a link in the last 5 or so pages, but Kyuube has a game now.

http://illucalab.com/incubator/incubatore.html

Contract girls and use them to fight witches and eventually they'll become witches and fight walpurgis night at the end. My high score was 46k.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-31, 23:47   Link #2124
kaigan
Segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I don't know if it was posted yet at least I didn't see a link in the last 5 or so pages, but Kyuube has a game now.

Contract girls and use them to fight witches and eventually they'll become witches and fight walpurgis night at the end. My high score was 46k.

great game! i dont know how to read japanese floating on the screen but i manage to defeat walpurgis effectively.

tips:
assemble as many normal girls as possible within the area of your mouse pointer. click and hold. the progress bar surrounding the girls will speed up. surround weaker witches or familiars with pms. pms should not be too close to each other when fighting. when normal girls appear onscreen move them out of witches'/familiars' range by dragging. they are easily get killed. pms inactive in battle will eventually become a witch but slowly. a faster way is to drain their energy when fighting.

i don't know how to use the skills. i've reached level 9 girls but skills seemed to be blank.

when things get tough, homu-chan will save the day.

my highest score 56788

EDIT: instead of click and hold, you could click rapidly, it seems to progress faster but quite unhealthy to my index finger and the mouse button.

also defeating higher level witches and familiars up your pms, if your pms are of lower levels.

it also seems there is no time bonus. the faster i reach walpurgis night with an increasing army of pms, the lower my score is

homu-chan will always finish witches/walpurgis if you happen to reach 0 pms.

Last edited by kaigan; 2011-04-01 at 03:49.
kaigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 02:33   Link #2125
waffo
25% Unknown

Send a message via AIM to waffo Send a message via Yahoo to waffo
I need to practice. I only got 36,124. I'm not persuasive enough to contract people.
waffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 02:49   Link #2126
pinoscotto

http://www.mbs.jp/madoka-magica/
what does that mean?
pinoscotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 02:53   Link #2127
Tokugashi
Masou-shouju/Zombie/Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffo View Post
I need to practice. I only got 36,124. I'm not persuasive enough to contract people.
49k ^^ I did pretty good I think.
Tokugashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 03:02   Link #2128
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoscotto View Post
In the final video it mentions the number 14... maybe they plan to air the next episode of Madoka on April 14th?

Edit: Though probably not, because now I remember it would be considered April 15th in Japan, I think.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 03:08   Link #2129
Antinomical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
Well, I personally don't see Kyuubey as a force of nature, my point is that he seems to be pulling off that impression. I could even go as far as to suspect that his whole lecture in ep 9 might have been about this. Yes, audience-san, this IS a villain of the show, but he's dealing with far greater goals, he does not percieve evil, he even fails to feel emotions and ACT like your traditional villain - so turning this show into an anti-Kyuubey crusade would be pointless.
I think so too. I think it would be rather unfair to view Kyubey as the typical villain with clearly evil objectives. Whatever his motivation, the very act of trying to justify (for many of us, I doubt he actually succeeded) his actions redeems him from the stereotypical evil villain. Instead of merely explaining his actions Kyubey puts the question to Madoka, "If you feel like dying for the universe, we'll be waiting". Madoka's death saves the universe. Is it not that much different from a heroic sacrifice. The difference, and the reason why we hate Kyubey (I think), is that Kyubey fails to see the morality problem we all do. That there is something wrong when someone sacrifices himself/herself to save others, when he/she is not even aware of making that choice.

Kyubey's evil lies simply in that he has a different morality, one that is focused on simply achieving objectives. Even by the standards of other alien beings, Kyubey could very well be evil. But I think the point here is not if Kyubey is an evil villain, but that if Kyubey is even a villain. If the only way his species knows to stop a natural disaster from occurring is to trick Sayaka, Mami and the girls, is he wrong to do so? I think the deeper question here is, if the only way to save a 10000 people is by killing 100 other people, would you do it? Which is more wrong? To let 10000 people die, or to kill 100? Depending on how you see it, Kyubey may be a villain, or he may not.
Old 2011-04-01, 03:14   Link #2130
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
In the final video it mentions the number 14... maybe they plan to air the next episode of Madoka on April 14th?

Edit: Though probably not, because now I remember it would be considered April 15th in Japan, I think.
i think that 14 you say its the one that says madokas age.
Old 2011-04-01, 07:10   Link #2131
Coppola
Junior Extraordinaire

There's a spin-off of Mahou Shoujo by Shaft - Mahou Shoujo Sonico★Magica : 3DCG-interface...

They made an OP in yt, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23C3tjF14nA
Old 2011-04-01, 07:42   Link #2132
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
Quote:
Kyubey can warp the minds of humans, fix severe disabilities, and even save people from dying. Kyubey notes that his race is technologically advanced enough to do this and harvest human emotion - another piece of evidence to suggest Kyubey is disrupting the natural processes of the universe. Therefore, I find Kyubey to be unnatural.
It's not Kyuubey's race that do this all - they are just technologically advanced enough to operate the power that does. Such cute alien wizards, heh. The term "unnatural" remains credible, though... as we'll never know if magic itself is an anomaly for this world or an advanced set of cosmic laws overlapping the known ones (some things modern physics deal with would be considered pure magic as far back as in the 1890s).
As these comments sound like contrarguments, maybe I should clarify my point - I DON'T consider Kyuubey on par with laws of nature, I just have an impression that he seems (or... tries?) to pass for something like that. "Interesting position", indeed.

Quote:
sigh, I'd prefer it much sooner anyway.
Whatever production delays are there, I almost HOPE they're about crucial points of the episode's quality. After three weeks' wait, I'm not sure I'm dying to see all the "immediate" cosmetic improvents, even if they'd promise to crank the visual side all the way up to Kara no Kyoukai level. C'mon, Shaft, let us see the ending itself, make us clench our fists and wipe our tears again - then use all the time you'll have until autumn to cram all these cosmetic fixes into the BD release. Hell, two or three MORE weeks without Madoka and some fans (myself probably included) might be desperate enough to swallow another Bakemonogatari ep 10 case if it were to come up...
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 13:14   Link #2133
waffo
25% Unknown

Send a message via AIM to waffo Send a message via Yahoo to waffo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokugashi View Post
After destroying the lives of several girls, I now am able to get a 75k! There really are a lot of games people have made for this series already, huh. I have to say this Kyubey game is the most fun so far.
waffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 17:33   Link #2134
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
That is where I find Kyubey and nature different. While nature follows the flow, Kyubey has intentions of his own. Kyubey actively seeks out the girl with the most powerful emotions, and tries to convince her with devised schemes. To say that Kyubey is a force of nature is to suggest that nature can think for itself and hold intention - as far as I know, that is untrue. Nature has yet to talk to us and ask us to stop killing it.
Those who believe in the "Strong" Gaia theory might argue that there is more to the "force" of Nature than you are giving it credit for. In that case, you could even argue that Kyubey is a more understandable representation of a willful force of nature that makes it a little easier to understand while at the same time being on another level impossible to understand.

Of course, that makes for some uncomfortable questions about why Nature would choose such an Earthquake - but it may see us as being just as disposable as Kyubey does.
Old 2011-04-01, 21:38   Link #2135
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokugashi View Post
73k....this game is seriously addicting...
Old 2011-04-01, 22:20   Link #2136
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:

Playing that game has helped inspire a different video game idea for me.

It's pretty lengthy and detailed, so I'm going to share it in the spoiler space below.

I'd love to know what my fellow Madoka fans think of this video game idea:

Spoiler for Kyubey: Magical Girl Creator!:

So what do people think of my video game idea here? Would you like to play it?

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-04-01 at 23:17.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 22:48   Link #2137
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yes, if it involves trolling, count me in.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 22:58   Link #2138
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Playing that game has helped inspire a different video game idea for me.

It's pretty lengthy and detailed, so I'm going to share it in the spoiler space below.

I'd love to know what my fellow Madoka fans think of this video game idea:

Spoiler for Kyubey: Magical Girl Creator!:

So what do people think of my video game idea here? Would you like to play it?
That's awesome......applicable for future CEOs, dictators, secret agents and other generally sneaky types...
Old 2011-04-01, 23:23   Link #2139
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Yes, if it involves trolling, count me in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
That's awesome......applicable for future CEOs, dictators, secret agents and other generally sneaky types...
Glad you guys like the idea.

I'd really love to play a game like this, lol.
Old 2011-04-02, 00:23   Link #2140
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:

Speaking of that game... the competition is on! My best score was 86538; next time, I should aim for 90k.
EDIT: Well... I think the game got easier. I got 132.8k!

Spoiler for Large screenshot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Those who believe in the "Strong" Gaia theory might argue that there is more to the "force" of Nature than you are giving it credit for. In that case, you could even argue that Kyubey is a more understandable representation of a willful force of nature that makes it a little easier to understand while at the same time being on another level impossible to understand.
What? I have difficulty understanding.

The entropy Kyubey speaks of has yet to be confirmed as a natural process, but if our own universe is an accurate model of the Madokaverse, then entropy is natural. Perhaps the Madokaverse's natural entropy is far more accelerated than our own, but something seems a little strange here. Even if I avoid my unfounded suspicions about Kyubey - that his technologically advanced race is the reason why heat death is coming so quickly - then Kyubey is working against the natural process of entropy. Exploiting young girls and making them feel more happiness than they probably would in their normal lives seems quite unnatural to me. While I consider human emotion to be a natural existence, the way in which Kyubey draws emotion out (through reality-changing wishes and magical circles), as well as his goal to reverse a natural process... feels very artificial.

Last edited by Deconstructor; 2011-04-02 at 01:12.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
despair, hope, madoka magica, magical girl, urobuchi gen