AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-12, 17:38   Link #1121
GrimJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
[B] To bring it back, could you show village elders sacrificing a child in modern Japan without it seeming totally impossible? I wonder.
It would really have to be fairly isolated community but just watch the news and we can see horrors daily.

...In some parts of Africa it is not unknown for children to be sacrificed to protect people from witchcraft, not pretty but it has been known to have happened in recent memory to me... I heard about it on the BBC.

as a response to your response.. the story in question did not happen in a backward community but in a modern urban setting, the main connection is fear of the unknown.

when people are truly afraid all kinds of nonsense can be justified

I am not sure on the amount of human sacrifice that occurred in the past at Shinto Shrines or even if it ever did, (most probably though) The thing is the village elders used the plague to cover up the sacrifice as they would put it out that the victim just died of the plague.

Why Aki and Yukariko would keep silent is a matter of power imbalance and fear of being isolated (if not killed) as well. The people who perpetrated this crime are those in power and there was little recourse to go anywhere else. This was post war Japan under American occupation after all, not the modern society in Japan now

Last edited by GrimJack; 2012-06-12 at 17:54.
GrimJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 17:50   Link #1122
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

^ It can also happen in an urban areas, all you need is a charismatic leader, remember the Sarin gas attacks in the tokyo subway, such cults could just the same perform human sacrifice and if the leader is also wealthy/influential they might even have help from the local authorities.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 17:53   Link #1123
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Simple, just because we have ipads, skyscrapers and planes, does mean we can't also have people that believe in old, barbaric religious (or otherwise) rituals and lunatics that make up their own.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 18:39   Link #1124
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
@FredFriendly -- I had the same reaction you did about the "Japanese boy" thing,
Spoiler for more more or less off-topic stuff:

Quote:
Sorry, getting off-topic. To bring it back, could you show village elders sacrificing a child in modern Japan without it seeming totally impossible? I wonder.
It seems that this sort of thing is more common than one would expect, though perhaps not in Japan. Check out this article from March, 2012, purportedly originally reported by the Associated Press. There are probably other recent examples out there on the Internet.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-06-13 at 02:19.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 19:43   Link #1125
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

I'd say it goes even beyond simple cultures and right down the main thing that affects everybody to some degree; old-fashioned fear and paranoia.

When you're right in the middle of what feels like death itself, it can drive people to do pretty irrational things that they otherwise probably would not do (unless they're just that sick an individual). In this case, everyone around them was dying of a plague and it always gave off a feeling of, "Am I next?", really. As it hit closer to home (entire families having died), the paranoia and fear just become worse.

I like to like this is sort of an isolated Black Plague-like scenario, which caused a HUGE amount of religious zealotry and paranoia throughout Europe, with many people imprisoned, tortured, and/or killed off as accused "witches" or "causes" of the plague in order to appease god to miraculously make the plague go away. Main difference being that this is just presumably isolated within the town and not around the whole country.

Of course, it's also a common theme portrayed in post-apocalyptic-style scenarios where there's usually 1 person(s) who ends up snapping.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 20:44   Link #1126
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Hmm... Someone else said that previously. Was it you? Is there something inherently different between 12-year old Japanese boys and, say, 12-year old British boys, or Canadian boys, or, for that matter, any other 12-year old boys? Are they more prone to giggle? To blush at a naked girl's body? To tell a girl around his own age to not expose herself to him?

Not that I even believe that last one. At the age of 12, when hormones were beginning to run wild, I don't think any of my male classmates would have objected if one of our female classmates were to disrobe in front of us. That must just be an anime thing. Or, maybe it is a Japanese thing.
I can tell you plenty of 12 year olds here would be extremely embarrased by something like that, in fact I'm actually surprised that Westerners would be so open to it. 14-15 years and above would be everyone's wet dream but 12 is still a kid's mentality....at least that's the way it is here in general...
Old 2012-06-12, 20:57   Link #1127
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I can tell you plenty of 12 year olds would be extremely embarrased by something like that, in fact I'm actually surprised that Westerners would be so open to it. 14-15 years and above would be everyone's wet dream but 12 is still a kid's mentality....at least that's the way it is here in general...
Thanks for clarifying this!

I have seen this trope a lot in anime, even with teenage boys as old as 17, wait, even beyond teenage boys (I can think of at least one college age "man" with what most guys would consider a smokin' hot, live-in girlfriend), and even beyond. So, not being Japanese, it's hard to tell if this really is the way a lot of Japanese guys would act.

And then there's the other guys that permeate anime, the complete perverts (the boob grabbers, the voyeurs, etc.). Are they really all that common in Japan?
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 02:20   Link #1128
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Several posts have been deleted. Please try to keep the discussion on topic from here on out.
Old 2012-06-13, 12:24   Link #1129
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Silver Link did well with this ep. The first-person view really added to the impact. Being walled up is certainly a shitty way to go...
Old 2012-06-17, 13:52   Link #1130
GrimJack

lots happened in this episode but to really make sense of it I will have to wait for the subbed version.

Yukariko seems much nicer than in the manga though

Spoiler for but...:

Last edited by GrimJack; 2012-06-17 at 15:36.
GrimJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 16:13   Link #1131
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

Spoiler for ep 11:

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 16:15   Link #1132
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecd View Post
Spoiler for ep 11:
Spoiler for 11:
Old 2012-06-17, 16:21   Link #1133
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Spoiler for 11:
Spoiler for reply:
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 16:23   Link #1134
GrimJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Spoiler for reply:
it is in the preview for next week
Old 2012-06-17, 16:30   Link #1135
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJack View Post
it is in the preview for next week
Spoiler for reply:
Old 2012-06-17, 17:44   Link #1136
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

There are really only three ways this story can end.

Spoiler for And they are::

The only other option would be not to end it, like it's a sitcom where Teiichi has to put up with that wacky Yuuko causing trouble all the time. At least they're not going there.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 17:44   Link #1137
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Spoiler for reply:
Aye *brofist*
Old 2012-06-17, 18:07   Link #1138
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
There are really only three ways this story can end.

Spoiler for And they are::

The only other option would be not to end it, like it's a sitcom where Teiichi has to put up with that wacky Yuuko causing trouble all the time. At least they're not going there.
Indeed. No matter how you spin it, it'll end in one of those three ways. But at the end of the day, I'm just a person who will always prefer option 1 and 2 to option 3; no matter how horribly written those endings may be. I hate seeing lovers get separated. But eh, I suppose there's still enough time for us to be proven wrong, but I doubt it.
Old 2012-06-17, 18:50   Link #1139
novalysis

There are various creative ways for option one to take effect to be honest.

Ranging from being reborn as Niiya's daughter, to even more squickier possibilities. Like possession of someone else living. Like Kirie, for instance.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 19:06   Link #1140
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I thought ep11 was outstanding. Loved the emotions. Loved the Shaftiness. Well done.
Spoiler for ep11:
And yes, Hara Yumi singing the ED was good, too.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2012-06-17 at 19:18.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, romance, shounen, slice-of-unlife, supernatural