AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-01-14, 08:07   Link #1261
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

It's basically a steam competitor. A funny thing about the whole "Origin is evulz" that goes around right now is that many of the complaints are the exact complaints steam used to get when it was in its younger stages.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 08:16   Link #1262
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

I was finding hard to choose between diablo 3 & ME3, after hearing about this cancelling my pre-order for ME3. Will have to see what happens in the future. Don't want to be using origin.
Old 2012-01-14, 08:45   Link #1263
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well even thought Origin is worse than Steam platform , it doesn't really do nothing bad... cancelling ME3 for that... i was annoyed too for BF3 but well , why cancelling a game for just a little thing.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 09:16   Link #1264
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
It's basically a steam competitor. A funny thing about the whole "Origin is evulz" that goes around right now is that many of the complaints are the exact complaints steam used to get when it was in its younger stages.
Haha, yeah. Exactly, when Steam came around and I was still in high school, many of my friends hated Steam with a passion because they didn't like that Valve was forcing it down their throats.. Now, everyone of them has an active Steam account.

Also, I wish people would shut up about Origin. Games For Windows Live is like 8 times worse and people barely even talk about that anymore. Besides, the existence of Origin is a good thing because Steam needs competition due to it already having a monopoly on the PC digital distribution market.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 17:26   Link #1265
Alchemist007
*Author

Monopoly? There are other digital distribution services. The fact that Steam is doing so much better is because Valve understands their customers so much better. And I remember the Steam hate as well, and it wasn't unfounded. My main problem with Origin is a bit different, precisely that it's from a company that I neither trust nor respect.
Old 2012-01-14, 17:46   Link #1266
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Games For Windows Live is like 8 times worse and people barely even talk about that anymore. Besides, the existence of Origin is a good thing because Steam needs competition due to it already having a monopoly on the PC digital distribution market.
Well, GFWL is Satan's spawn. Surely, everyone knows that already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
My main problem with Origin is a bit different, precisely that it's from a company that I neither trust nor respect.
Well, they too had their golden era once. Sometime after the 90s, they gave the studios all the time they needed for a healthy game development and every other distributor was labeled as the "bad guys". Dunno why it turned around again (new management, perhaps?)...funny to see things change like that.

Last edited by Larthak; 2012-01-14 at 17:57.
Larthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 18:07   Link #1267
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Before Steam became what it is widely known for today, it was a content delivery system designed to support Valve software (with anti-hack measures).

EA games are not really known to have continual support. Take a look back at ME2 for example. It received a grand total of 2 patches:
http://social.bioware.com/page/me2-patches
with minimal changes and bug fixes.

It is not a game where no additional work can be done: mordin's loyalty mission had an annoying bug which locks you into a room, the mattock is insanely overpowered in the hands of a soldier with adrenaline rush, the menu is terrible with limited customization: I would have paid another dollar just to be able to change mouse sensitivity and the FoV without having to dig through the settings file.

Instead their focus was purely on the numerous DLCs (which do not receive any support: Stasis can be used to 1 shot those giant mechs, Kasumi's passive talent does nothing...).
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 19:16   Link #1268
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

I had huge problems with origin. Also I don't like steam either, but because most of my new games are on steam I still use it. Il just wait and see
Old 2012-01-14, 19:24   Link #1269
Tokkan

Quote:
My main problem with Origin is a bit different, precisely that it's from a company that I neither trust nor respect.
That's ridiculous, no company deserves any trust or respect, they're all equally bad. And most of the problem comes from the shareholders forcing to do stupid things. Like DRM, you know how that's supposedly to stop piracy? Absolutely wrong, they know it won't stop piracy, they just put it in to appease to their dumb stubborn shareholders who don't know any better and actually think it does stop piracy.
Old 2012-01-14, 19:51   Link #1270
Alchemist007
*Author

Valve is a privately owned company and is not influenced by such shareholder bullshit. While I certainly don't trust them without question, right now Valve definitely does some of my trust and respect (certainly more than EA to say the least). If you do or don't, that's totally up to you.
Old 2012-01-14, 20:26   Link #1271
Tokkan

Quote:
Valve is a privately owned company and is not influenced by such shareholder bullshit. While I certainly don't trust them without question, right now Valve definitely does some of my trust and respect (certainly more than EA to say the least). If you do or don't, that's totally up to you.
Valve is a developer, I was talking about publishers. Companies like Activision, Ubisoft, Bandai Namco, Square-Enix, THQ, SEGA, Capcom and Atari. All of which are untrustworthy companies.

Valve only publishes on the digital platform, the physical copies of their games are, in direct irony to the Steam-Origin issue, published by EA.
Old 2012-01-14, 20:57   Link #1272
Alchemist007
*Author

I used the word company. Inherently, I don't trust any company, but Valve has shown they care about their audience.
Old 2012-01-14, 21:47   Link #1273
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Before Steam became what it is widely known for today, it was a content delivery system designed to support Valve software (with anti-hack measures).

EA games are not really known to have continual support. Take a look back at ME2 for example. It received a grand total of 2 patches:
http://social.bioware.com/page/me2-patches
with minimal changes and bug fixes.

It is not a game where no additional work can be done: mordin's loyalty mission had an annoying bug which locks you into a room, the mattock is insanely overpowered in the hands of a soldier with adrenaline rush, the menu is terrible with limited customization: I would have paid another dollar just to be able to change mouse sensitivity and the FoV without having to dig through the settings file.

Instead their focus was purely on the numerous DLCs (which do not receive any support: Stasis can be used to 1 shot those giant mechs, Kasumi's passive talent does nothing...).
To be fair, the fault there lies with Bioware more than EA (as they are responsible for the patching of their games and have a rather lacking reputation for doing so) and Mass Effect being available on Steam would not magically change this.

And while I did hold Steam in higher regard for a while... after they forced me to download Skyrim and wait for activation even though I bought a legal, physical copy, I no longer see any difference between the two platforms in customer friendliness.

But then, I'm going to buy this game for my 360 anyway.
Old 2012-01-14, 22:25   Link #1274
Alchemist007
*Author

No love for mods? I'm replaying the hell out of New Vegas and I've got like 25 of them running at once.

Check this out: http://skyrimnexus.com/
Old 2012-01-14, 22:26   Link #1275
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
To be fair, the fault there lies with Bioware more than EA (as they are responsible for the patching of their games and have a rather lacking reputation for doing so) and Mass Effect being available on Steam would not magically change this.
EA has a history of pushing for meddling things...
Before EA's acquisition, bioware rolled out games such as neverwinter nights, which was thoroughly supported and patches actually packed content.

Another example:
CnC4 was pushed down the pipe. Once the title was released the studio experienced massive layoffs. Somewhat "cruel" considering the history of the franchise.

I hope bioware does not pull a DA2 on ME3, it deserves better.

Last edited by Flying Dagger; 2012-01-15 at 09:45.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 22:33   Link #1276
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well, ME3's been delayed once already (which ironically yielded no small amount of RAGE on the web. Hypocrites.) so while I'm sure EA's still ringing bells and asking where their order is at, they don't seem to ring that loud this time.
Old 2012-01-15, 00:18   Link #1277
Nixl

I read off IGN that Origin will be required for ME3. Assuming it is true, I feel like requiring origin is bad idea. Sure it may have practical uses, but I feel as though it will resonate negatively in online communities regardless of whether the negativity is rightfully or wrongful placed. There is a lot of exaggeration most times, but nonetheless it exists.

Quote:
But then, I'm going to buy this game for my 360 anyway.
B-b-but no mods...

Then again, I do not remember much of a modding community for ME.
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 00:39   Link #1278
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I was reading that Origin is kind of like spyware (but not spyware). When installed, it gather info from your computer. I will post much info here to detail that. I'd like to know, are these claims about Origin being intrusive to our privacy really true?

Here is some info here.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to.../index/8975536

Quote:
Below are answers to the most commonly asked questions about Origin and Mass Effect 3. Thank you for your patience as we have worked to answer them.

*abridged*

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection?
Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

6) I’ve seen reports that Origin is spyware. Is this true?
Origin is not spyware, and does not use or install spyware on user’s machines. In order to allow Origin to install games and their patches for everyone to use, Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder. This is an ordinary Windows function, not an information-gathering process.

People in that thread I posted are worried about the 'spyware-like' qualities of Origin. A Bioware developer said "post evidence of that claim", so someone did. I'm guessing this is from the terms of agreement for Origin:

Quote:
You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services,"

"EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services," the section continues. "We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you.
Referring to the part I bolded (Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder), some people there also pointed out that Origin, via these Windows operations that scan filenames, scans the names of filenames for files other than those found in Program Data/Origin folder. It scans filenames on other parts of your hard drive, is what people are saying.

I'd like to know, are these things true about Origin? Do I have to worry about it being intrusive to my privacy?

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-01-15 at 01:07.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 04:55   Link #1279
Squarecrow
Supreme Ruler of Crowatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
EA has a history of pushing for meddling things...
Before EA's acquisition, bioware rolled out games such as neverwinter nights, which was thoroughly supported [url=http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Patch]and patches actually packed content[url].
Problem is EA's history of meddling is just pure speculation. I don't know when it happened but it seems like everyone decided to get together and form a pact to blame anything that goes wrong on EA.
"This sequel sucks! Oh, it's published by EA, THOSE MONSTERS RUINED MY GAME!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I'd like to know, are these things true about Origin? Do I have to worry about it being intrusive to my privacy?
Someone on another forum linked me to these two pictures and called Origin spyware:
Spoiler for space:
It's supposed to show that Origin is scanning the user's PC. I already have Origin on my PC so I downloaded Process Monitor and ran it and Origin together. Nothing like those pictures ever showed up after 20 minutes of running. I didn't take a screencap but someone I know did the same thing as me and took one:
Spoiler for space:
Origin was only accessing Origin. The first two pictures seem faked by angry fans to me. I've also never seen Origin.exe running in the background when I haven't launched it.

Origin certainly won't stop me from buying ME3 but perhaps BioWare might. Depends on how much they mess up. ME2 was pretty good but a step backwards for the series. If ME3 looks as bad as or worse than ME2 then I'm certainly not wasting my money on it. But I'll wait until the game is out and the reviews come in. Who knows, maybe the multiplayer will actually be good.
Squarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 05:02   Link #1280
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Origin and Steam exist as simply a means to an end. I was forced into Steam to play The Orange Box and (if I didn't have the option of playing the superior Xbox version) I'd probably be forced into Origin to play Mass Effect 3. I can continue to use them both, one or the other, or neither. As long as you're playing Mass Effect 3, it shouldn't be as big an issue as people make it out to be.
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
effect, games, mass