AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-02-17, 12:55   Link #1
Kirarakim

Director & Seiyuu Connections

Director and Actor relationships are actually very important to film but I have never seen anyone discuss the relationships of Director & Seiyuu.

Off the top of my head I can think of three:

Kamiya Hiroshi/ Akiyuki Shinbo

Although Kamiyan has not been in all of Shinbo's series he has had the leading male role in 3 series/franchises from SHAFT

Sakurai Takahiro/ Nakamura Kenji

As far as I am aware Sakurai has had a part in every one of Nakamura's series. Yes some of these parts were small but that still seems pretty significant to me.

Sugita Tomokazu/ Takamatsu, Shinji

I am less familiar with this director's work but I have noticed that Sugita has started to show up in all of his recent series.

I am sure there are plenty of other examples of this that I hope other people will provide (especially in the female category). Perhaps the director doesn't have as much say on casts as I think although I hardly think this is a coincidence.
Old 2013-02-17, 14:08   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Shinbo also seems to have an affinity for Yuuki Aoi of late, starring her in Dance in the Vampire Bund and Madoka Magica. Of course, she's everywhere in anime it seems these days so perhaps it's just a coincidence. I thought her performance as Mina was top-notch, since her character took on so many different personalities. She had less to do as Madoka except fret a lot so it wasn't a memorable role of hers for me. (Neither of these come close to her revelatory performance as Murasaki in Kure-nai. One I heard her voice that role at fifteen I knew she was on her way to success.)
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 17:19   Link #3
Dawnstorm

Actually, if I think Shinbou and female seiyuu, my first association would be Chiwa Saito:

- Zetsubou Sensei series
- Monogatari series
- Madoka
- Arakawa - Under the Bridge
- Dance In the Vampira Bund
- Sasami San
- Negima

Most (All?) of the Madoka girls (plus Kyubey) appear in more than one Shinbou work, but I think Chiwa Saito is the most frequent and over a pretty long period, too, now.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 20:43   Link #4
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
Actually, if I think Shinbou and female seiyuu, my first association would be Chiwa Saito:

- Zetsubou Sensei series
- Monogatari series
- Madoka
- Sasami San
- Negima

Most (All?) of the Madoka girls (plus Kyubey) appear in more than one Shinbou work, but I think Chiwa Saito is the most frequent and over a pretty long period, too, now.
She's also in Moon Phase and Pani Poni Dash. Actually, those are the kinds of roles I associated her with for quite a few years - I remember cracking up when I realized that she played Hitagi as well.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 20:46   Link #5
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
On one point I thought this is about Directors and their romantic relationship with their Seiyuus...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 20:50   Link #6
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
On one point I thought this is about Directors and their romantic relationship with their Seiyuus...

LOL well I have to admit I am quite ignorant when it comes to that.

Now I am imaging the love affair between Kamiya Hiroshi & Shinbo.
Old 2013-02-17, 22:34   Link #7
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Shinbo with some of the Denpa Onna cast:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
(Neither of these come close to her revelatory performance as Murasaki in Kure-nai. One I heard her voice that role at fifteen I knew she was on her way to success.)
Slightly off topic, but some of the pictures of Aoi from back then crack me up - especially when contrast how quiet and well behaved she looks here with how she acted when Sugita Tomokazu's invited him on his TV show:
http://seiyuuplus.tumblr.com/post/94...o-part-2-ryoko

Old 2013-02-17, 22:37   Link #8
Kyuu
=^^=

How many did Aya Hirano sleep with?

Spoiler:
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 23:08   Link #9
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Shinbo with some of the Denpa Onna cast:
DOM are still hot in the eyes of young female teenagers... *envious....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 00:33   Link #10
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
DOM are still hot in the eyes of young female teenagers... *envious....
...And late-20s Japanese voice actresses.

Old 2013-02-18, 01:47   Link #11
scineram

Quote:

- Zetsubou Sensei series
- Monogatari series
- Madoka
- Sasami San
- Negima

I raise Nonaka Ai:

- Puella Magi
- Sasami
- Natsu no Arashi
- Zetsubo Sensei
- Denpa Onna
- Negima
- Pani Pony Dash
scineram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 02:22   Link #12
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
She's also in Moon Phase and Pani Poni Dash. Actually, those are the kinds of roles I associated her with for quite a few years - I remember cracking up when I realized that she played Hitagi as well.
She also played Subaru Nakajima, perverts-in-arms with Homura.
Old 2013-02-18, 09:36   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Before this devolves into a generic seiyuu thread, let me remind you all that this is about relationships between directors and seiyuu. If you want to discuss seiyuu in general, we have this thread for that.
Old 2013-02-18, 09:38   Link #14
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Before this devolves into a generic seiyuu thread, let me remind you all that this is about relationships between directors and seiyuu. If you want to discuss seiyuu in general, we have this thread for that.
Thank you

And while I do very much appreciate the humor some of you have brought into this thread (especially on a Monday morning) I hope people can think of more examples, and not just all the female seiyuu who work with Shinbo.
Old 2013-02-18, 16:30   Link #15
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Thank you

And while I do very much appreciate the humor some of you have brought into this thread (especially on a Monday morning) I hope people can think of more examples, and not just all the female seiyuu who work with Shinbo.
I'm having two problems with this:

One is personal. I don't know that many directors by name, so I often don't know who made what anime. It's easy with stars such as Shinbou, but others? An added difficulty is that some of the directors I know by name (e.g. the Ghibli ones) don't use seiyuu; they use actors.

The other problem I have is that I'm not sure when I can start speaking of a relationship between actor and director. For example, I noticed that both Kimi ni Todoke and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun are from the same director: Kaburaki Hiro. Both shows feature Nakamura Yuuichi (Ryu/Yuuzan) and Swashiro Miyuki (Ayane/Yuuzan [child]). Unfortunately, these two shows are almost all he did as a director (there's a show about consturction working rabbits and then that's it). Does this count?

The pool of voice actors doesn't seem to be the biggest one, so overlap is almost unavoidable. Still, it's certainly true that some director/voice actor pairings are more common. The reverse seems also to be true. For example, as high-profile as Hanazawa Kana seems to be, she doesn't seem to appear in Shinbou's works (a cameo in Denpa Onna is all I can think of). [Sorry to use Shinbou again; it's just easiest for me, since he's a star director.]

I'm pretty interested in this thread; it's just that I don't really know how to contribute.
Old 2013-02-18, 19:15   Link #16
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
IFor example, as high-profile as Hanazawa Kana seems to be, she doesn't seem to appear in Shinbou's works (a cameo in Denpa Onna is all I can think of).
While she's not one of seiyuus Shinbo has used the most her role as Nadeko in Bakemonogatari was one of her breakout performances and she's currently in Sasami-san@ganbaranai.

The other thing is that from listening to seiyuu interviews some of them forge solid (work) relationships with sound directors just as much as directors,but sound directors are not known to the general public.
Now I don't know if seiyuus mentioning sound directors so much means some have a say in casting decisions but when I see Kugimiya Rie cast in Toradora,Shana and Hidan no Aria who don't have the same directors but all have Aketagawa Jin as a sound director it makes me wonder if that's just coincidence.
Old 2013-02-18, 19:46   Link #17
Kirarakim

Quote:
I'm having two problems with this:
The other problem I have is that I'm not sure when I can start speaking of a relationship between actor and director. For example, I noticed that both Kimi ni Todoke and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun are from the same director: Kaburaki Hiro. Both shows feature Nakamura Yuuichi (Ryu/Yuuzan) and Swashiro Miyuki (Ayane/Yuuzan [child]). Unfortunately, these two shows are almost all he did as a director (there's a show about consturction working rabbits and then that's it). Does this count?
I just want to point out there is no wrong answer. With this example perhaps it's not much to go on but I would be interested to see if this director uses these same seiyuu in his next work.

I mean the idea only came to me for this thread when I was thinking of Sakurai's small role at the end of Tsuritama and then I realized wait he's been in all of Nakamura's series so far.

As for the Kamiya/Shinbo relationship I've often thought how that was a good relationship for him.

And I also didn't mean to imply I didn't want to hear about Shinbo's relationship with other seiyuu (I was just hoping to hear other stuff too). He is a high profile director so I would be surprised if he doesn't have a large say in his cast.

And I am happy you contributed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totum
The other thing is that from listening to seiyuu interviews some of them forge solid (work) relationships with sound directors just as much as directors,but sound directors are not known to the general public.
Now I don't know if seiyuus mentioning sound directors so much means some have a say in casting decisions but when I see Kugimiya Rie cast in Toradora,Shana and Hidan no Aria who don't have the same directors but all have Aketagawa Jin as a sound director it makes me wonder if that's just coincidence.
That is very interesting and definitely something I would not have known about. It is those type of patterns that I am looking for in this thread and I am glad you brought up something other than the main director.

Of course we would never know if something is a coincidence or not but I don't think it's too far of a reach to say they really could have some type of working relationship.
Old 2013-02-18, 19:50   Link #18
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
While she's not one of seiyuus Shinbo has used the most her role as Nadeko in Bakemonogatari was one of her breakout performances and she's currently in Sasami-san@ganbaranai.
Heh. I knew that, and yet I couldn't think of those roles... Shows how reliable my "negatives" impression is. I suppose that's why positives are more reliable. (I do wonder, though, where that comes from. It's... strange.)

Quote:
Very interesting. That wouldn't have occured to me. (I noticed that in your example all the shows you mentioned were JC Staff, but a quick check at MAL brings up the team for, say, ufotable or statelite, too, so it's not the studio.)
Old 2013-02-19, 08:22   Link #19
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Now I don't know if seiyuus mentioning sound directors so much means some have a say in casting decisions
I read that recently somewhere myself though I cannot recall where. (Probably either here or ANN.) It might represent a division of labor between a director who focuses more on storyboard and animation and a sound director having more responsibility for casting. I suspect choosing the leads involves the director, but perhaps he or (rarely) she plays less of a role in selecting the supporting cast.

I've also noticed some ties between seiyuu and studios with Kuwashima Houko's relationship with Madhouse being an obvious one for me. She has been a jill-of-all-trades at Madhouse with roles as different as Clare in Claymore, Shurrei in Saiunkoku Monongatari, "Isako" in Dennou Coil, and Washimine Yukio in the last arc of Black Lagoon, "Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise." These have four different directors though two of them, Claymore and Black Lagoon, have the same sound director, Honda Yasunori, who is still working as he approaches seventy.
Old 2013-02-19, 08:43   Link #20
relentlessflame

*Administrator

NOTE: I renamed the title to use "Connections" instead of "Relationships", just to avoid confusion.

In terms of a contribution to the topic, it may also be worth pointing out that sometimes there can be connections through Producers/Publishers as well. In the end, as was discussed with the Sound Directors above, it's an industry about "who you know" as much as any other, so when they're approaching doing a casting call for certain roles, any of the key players may have their own names of people they like and have worked with before, and who "jump to mind" when a certain role is discussed. There are also of course cases where a director is required to use certain voice actors in the production due to business arrangements or marketing plans (i.e. to use a certain seiyuu who will also sing the OP/ED in order to sell more CDs, or to use staff from a particular talent agency because they have some connection to the production), and this may come up more often with certain directors who often work with certain publishers. (For example, not to dwell on this particular example too much more, but almost all of Shaft's work has been either for King Records or for Aniplex.) That doesn't even count cases where a publisher of an original work may have already commissioned Drama CDs or other prior merchandise, so had a cast pre-selected (whether the anime production team wants to use them or not).

So yeah, I'd say it's probably a pretty complicated web of connections, in the end. I honestly wonder how many truly open casting calls are even required in this business.