AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-09-18, 09:06   Link #1
Eternal72

A new translation compendium - The Translation Library

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let people know about my new site the Translation Library. Basically it is an online compendium, which will seek to catalogue the fan translation of visual novels and games, from their native Japanese into English.

New Link: http://translationlibrary.blicky.net

27/09: The commercial section is now up and running. It includes an A-Z listing and a timeline of commercial visual novel releases from 1993 to today.

It was inspired by Shii’s visual novel website which I followed for many years. As he no longer has the time to devote to following fan translation, I hope to fill the void; and continue to expand on his initiative.

I hope you find my website helpful and informative. If you have any comments or suggestions for improvement relating to this site please feel free to contact me via email at:
translationlibrary@hotmail.com

Eternal72

Last edited by Eternal72; 2009-09-27 at 09:02. Reason: Update
Eternal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 15:46   Link #2
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

I hope we can reply in this thread as well (not just e-mail you).

I'd prefer a website that wasn't made in FrontPage, as it inevitably creates web pages that only work well in IE. Not to mention the monstrosity that it outputs.

Framesets are to be avoided at all costs, as they are a problem for accessibility. Server Side Includes (which I doubt your free host has) is the answer.
Old 2009-09-18, 23:12   Link #3
Eternal72

Hi Benoit,

I created the website in FrontPage as you correctly assumed. The Translation Library is my first attempt at creating and publishing online and I agree that FrontPage is not an ideal piece of software to work with.

I’m aware it doesn’t work well with other browsers; but until I gain more experience it is what I have to work with. I understand that many people have issues with framed websites and will work on creating a frame-free version of the site for upload as you suggested.

Thankyou for your comments,
Eternal72
Old 2009-09-18, 23:16   Link #4
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Hmm... maybe you could check out this website for reference?
http://vndb.org/
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 08:24   Link #5
chaos_alfa

Here is another reference.
http://www.shii.org/translate/
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 10:21   Link #6
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Someone hasn't read the opening post properly. Or at all. :P
Old 2009-09-20, 09:37   Link #7
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Someone hasn't read the opening post properly. Or at all. :P
I should also have read the second part

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2009-09-20 at 11:07.
Old 2009-09-20, 14:15   Link #8
Eternal72

The Translation Library has moved to new hosting (kindly provided by Ayu) at Blinky.net. In addition I have updated the site to remove spelling errors, altered translator titles and release dates per request and added the titles suggested via email / forum to the database.

The next major update (in a couple of days) will include an A-Z listing. However first I need to watch the last episodes of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai. I encourage anyone who hasn’t watched the second series yet to check it out, it’s brilliant and really full of surprises!

Thanks for the suggestions and comments,

Eternal72
Old 2009-09-20, 17:53   Link #9
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal72 View Post
The Translation Library has moved to new hosting (kindly provided by Ayu) at Blinky.net. In addition I have updated the site to remove spelling errors, altered translator titles and release dates per request and added the titles suggested via email / forum to the database.

The next major update (in a couple of days) will include an A-Z listing. However first I need to watch the last episodes of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai. I encourage anyone who hasn’t watched the second series yet to check it out, it’s brilliant and really full of surprises!

Thanks for the suggestions and comments,

Eternal72
I rather wait until I have played the visual novel before seeing the anime.
*Waits for the release of the first 4 arcs by MangaGamer in October*
Old 2009-09-27, 08:54   Link #10
Eternal72

Hi everyone, the commercial section is now up and running. It includes an A-Z listing and a timeline of commercial visual novel releases from 1993 to today. Links have been added (whenever possible) to online stores for purchase, but as some games are no longer produced they can be expensive and/or in limited supply. Two games I’d recommend are the brilliant Ever 17 and Phantom of Inferno by the late Hirameki International.

Next on the agenda will be to attempt to fix the links so that they no longer open within the page frames. I hope people enjoy this new section please let me know if you spot any typos, have any suggestions, comments or ideas.

Eternal72
Old 2009-09-27, 14:05   Link #11
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

I suggest you drop the frames. Seriously.
Old 2009-09-28, 10:41   Link #12
Eternal72

I have gone ahead and completed a frames free version of the site as suggested. This has in avertedly solved the other issue (at least with the frames-free version), which was the links opening up within frame borders.

Now if people are happy enough with the frames free version I might go ahead and forget about the frames version all together. At the moment the index offers you a choice, frames / non-frames. Please let me know whether you would like the continuation of a framed version in addition to the frames free version, or if you think I should just continue frames free from now on.

Thanks again for the e-mails, interest and suggestions; I really appreciate the feedback.

Eternal72

29/09: Just a little update the links problem with the frames version of the site has been solved, they now open up within the current page and not within the frames set.

Last edited by Eternal72; 2009-09-29 at 08:36. Reason: Update