AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-03-04, 23:08   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 779 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Spoiler's here! The summary is out courtesy of AP's Redon and Aohige:

-Chapter title is "Final Fight". No ministory this week since we get a color splash instead.

-Zoro has a brief flashback where Mihawk teaches him about haki. Apparently, the reason why the master swordsman's blade is black is due to haki. He tells Zoro that he's prohibited from drinking alcohol until he can darken his swords as well, heh.

-Back at the town, Fujitora uses his gravity powers to prevent Pica's statue from crushing the citizens. Also, while Trebol has noticed that the Smile Factory is being destroyed, he's confident that it's a minor setback, as he believes the captive dwarf princess can restore it, as well as heal the officers. Unfortunately, he's unaware that she's already been freed....

-Speaking of the princess, she attempts to heal Kyros, but the warrior tells her to save her abilities for someone else. We then see a conversation between Sabo and Koala. It seems she asks him for help and he refuses at first, but as soon as she tells him that Luffy may be in danger, he decides to go to action straight away. Meanwhile, back to Luffy vs. Bellamy, the spring man tells Luffy he's aware that Doflamingo doesn't care for him, but he stubbornly risks his life for him anyway just to be recognized by the man. Luffy understands his plight, but he doesn't mess around anymore.... for he finishes Bellamy off the same way he did at Jaya. But unlike the last time, Luffy is freaking pissed. Full of rage, he calls out Doflamingo's name....

-As for Doflamingo himself, he says Luffy will be surprised when he sees Law's corpse.....!!!

So "Final Fight", huh? Does that mean Luffy has to face Mad Gear before taking on Dofla? Also, I'd be more worried about Law if we weren't already introduced to a dwarf lady with healing powers a few chapters back.

And now let's complain about the break ....er, discuss the chapter! Yeah, that's it!

Last edited by marvelB; 2015-03-05 at 05:40.
Old 2015-03-05, 00:17   Link #2
P_Dezz

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post

-Zoro has a brief flashback where Mihawk teaches him about haki. Meanwhile, Luffy is done messing around with Bellamy and eventually takes him down. As for Doflamingo, he says Luffy will be surprised when he sees Law's corpse.....

So "Final Fight", huh? Does that mean Luffy has to face Mad Gear before taking on Dofla? Also, I'd be more worried about Law if we weren't already introduced to a dwarf lady with healing powers a few chapters back.

And now let's complain about the break ....er, discuss the chapter! Yeah, that's it!
I'm surprised we're even getting another haki lesson, I pretty much thought what we got from Rayleigh, and the fight between Vergo and Smoker was the definitive haki explanation we needed, at least in terms of Busoshoku. The only thing that has yet to be explained is how Akainu was virtually un-phased by a lot of haki strikes in the war.

Honestly, from the pace of things, we probably won't see the final fight until at least 782. I predict before Doffy and Luffy get down to business, that Doffy will reveal some more things about the D's.
Old 2015-03-05, 00:40   Link #3
marvelB

Updated with a more detailed summary! Well, Bellamy went down as expected, but in exchange, Luffy's totally pissed at Dofla now. Also, judging from the Sabo scene, I guess he'll be the one to take on Trebol? In that case, I don't see that fight lasting long either since he had a draw against freaking Fujitora earlier, lol.
Old 2015-03-05, 02:15   Link #4
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
.... so wait, Mihawk's sword is always black.... hell, it's pretty much called "Black Sword". So, he's just ALWAYS using Haki on it?
Old 2015-03-05, 04:19   Link #5
bonsobon

After all the speculation and arguments over the years about whether Mihawk is able to use haki or not, surely this chapter answers that question once and for all, right?
Old 2015-03-05, 04:37   Link #6
Ultragunner

I doubt Law is really dead though...even if he did, uh oh, Doffy, you shouldn't have done that, there would be just a bigger hole for for your ass
Old 2015-03-05, 04:42   Link #7
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Mihawk has always since his introduction been called the strongest swordsman in the world and has gone toe-to-toe with Shanks in the past, so him being able to use haki would naturally make sense. Never thought it's what made the color of his sword black though.~

Seems we're finally reaching the tip of the climax of this arc after 80 chapters. Damn it's been a long one.
Old 2015-03-05, 04:57   Link #8
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Sabo is the ultimate brocon.
Old 2015-03-05, 07:52   Link #9
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Now I'm wondering if the sword is actually black at all . It was somewhat a nice message especially for Zoro who has actually lost one of his swords like that.

Thankfully the Bellamy stuff only lasted a few pages (a few pages too many but oh well). Should be a good smack of reality to Luffy if Law actually has died because he was messing around with Bellamy the whole time.

Just need to finish off the rest of Doflamingo's group and that's that.
Old 2015-03-05, 08:09   Link #10
Avaricia
My Lord

What the fuck!?! Was Robin as tall as Rebecca's waist and Kyros's height kneeling down?
Old 2015-03-05, 08:16   Link #11
Wandering Soul

So is Mihawk's sword actually black or is he using haki on it all the time?

I doubt Law is actually dead and he was most likely beaten to an inch of his. Either way Luffy will be pissed.
Old 2015-03-05, 08:49   Link #12
Belise
Rokushiki User
*Artist

I wouldn't mind of Law dies actually. Might teach Luffy a lesson in that he can't spend so much time on nonsense. Or that major battles against foes in the New World aren't as straight-foreword as his "IM GONNA BEAT YOU UP" philosophy suggests.

I'd love for Luffy to get another dose of reality for once. He jokes too much.
Old 2015-03-05, 09:14   Link #13
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

lol.. Sabo is a brocon
I think it is also time for Zoro to get a "legendary" sword or something since he learned how to treasure his sword well

Serious Luffy is coming but I really hope Law is not dead yet
Trebol sounds like has a dangerous plan...
Old 2015-03-05, 09:25   Link #14
imza

Great chapter once again!

I'm curious what role Sabo will play once he gets up there, considering he could probably take out Doffy and Trebol, I don't necessarily want him to engage. I'd rather someone like Robin take on Trebol.
Old 2015-03-05, 09:42   Link #15
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Finally! Luffy is serious! I hope Law dies man, like you guy's said it'd give Luffy a wake up call, New World is not a play ground to mess around in. I love Luffy, he's my favorite and love his fun personality and love for fights. There's times for fun and times for serious matters and this should be time to be serious. So, was it cuz Luffy was Hoping Bellamy would redeem himself and go good that he was trying to take all those hits on purpose, if so Hurray! Hopefully all this Zoro > Luffy crap can stop now UGH It's been a pain to deal with

YES! Luffy V.S Dof begins now! Thank you Oda. Love how Luffy did that, I hope we get more of those type of stuff in the future, time to stop messing around here Luffy.

Loved the chapter, been along time since I actually liked a chapter

Edit;

I don't want Sabo to help out thanks, I really want him to stay out of this. What about the brother code Luffy and Ace had till the War? Don't get in each other's ways?

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Old 2015-03-05, 10:25   Link #16
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaricia View Post
What the fuck!?! Was Robin as tall as Rebecca's waist and Kyros's height kneeling down?
No that was just the perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by imza View Post
I'm curious what role Sabo will play once he gets up there, considering he could probably take out Doffy and Trebol, I don't necessarily want him to engage. I'd rather someone like Robin take on Trebol.
One has to ask what Kaola needs him for. I mean aside from Trebol and Doffy, the only ones left in the palace should be grunts. She shouldn't need Sabo for them.
Old 2015-03-05, 11:13   Link #17
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Also, judging from the Sabo scene, I guess he'll be the one to take on Trebol?
I got that impression as well. I doubt Law is done for, but he probably won't be fighting either of the last 2 bosses. Sabo vs Trebol should make for an interesting logia fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dezz View Post
I'm surprised we're even getting another haki lesson, I pretty much thought what we got from Rayleigh, and the fight between Vergo and Smoker was the definitive haki explanation we needed, at least in terms of Busoshoku.
it's more like an explanation of what zoro was doing when he struck down pica. we learned that zoro learned that.

Quote:
The only thing that has yet to be explained is how Akainu was virtually un-phased by a lot of haki strikes in the war.
isn't it just that he has godly stamina? his personal strength/endurance/haki is similar to whitebeard, but whitebeard was even more so of course, especially in his prime. this goes back to last weeks discussion about DFs having a set power and that people's overall strength depends more on them than the DF they possess. In Akainu's case, he's just a beast. Even with both DFs, Blackbeard didn't want to mess with him after Marineford and wound up fleeing from the island he was waiting on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one above all View Post
So is Mihawk's sword actually black or is he using haki on it all the time?
this chapter is implying that he's using haki on the blade every time we've seen him. he probably does it subconsciously at this point. if he ever dies or stops using haki for some reason, i bet his sword would look normal steel color

Quote:
I doubt Law is actually dead and he was most likely beaten to an inch of his. Either way Luffy will be pissed.
yea, i highly doubt law was off-paneled. although i wouldn't mind him dying. his character arc is pretty much wrapped up unless he gets a new one after this storyline.
Old 2015-03-05, 12:13   Link #18
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dezz View Post
I'm surprised we're even getting another haki lesson, I pretty much thought what we got from Rayleigh, and the fight between Vergo and Smoker was the definitive haki explanation we needed, at least in terms of Busoshoku. The only thing that has yet to be explained is how Akainu was virtually un-phased by a lot of haki strikes in the war.
I feel like you should think of Haki like damage reduction. The strong akainu's haki, the more powerful Haki you need to damage his logia form. Don't hit with enough damage then it will be minor pain or a major annoyance. you need to overcome his Haki to damage his logia... Like with Pica or Vergo, their haki normally would have protected them from attack, but Law and Zoro had powerful enough Haki that they were able to break through thier's

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
this chapter is implying that he's using haki on the blade every time we've seen him. he probably does it subconsciously at this point. if he ever dies or stops using haki for some reason, i bet his sword would look normal steel color
I'm not sure if that is what was being implied. I think he was just comparing a haki infused sword to the Quality of his own. If you put Haki into your blade then your sword can be as strong as the highest quality of sword.
Old 2015-03-05, 12:22   Link #19
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
I'm not sure if that is what was being implied. I think he was just comparing a haki infused sword to the Quality of his own. If you put Haki into your blade then your sword can be as strong as the highest quality of sword.
yea it could easily be a translation issue. i just reread it and it's very ambiguous. it would be cool if the swords turn black with haki though. that would be similar to some armament haki we've seen after all
Old 2015-03-05, 13:31   Link #20
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Guys, I so hope that Law's really dead. It would be so good. The thing is that it's unlikely, though. First of all, this is One Piece. Secondly, we just found out that he's a D. Where would that story thread go if he was dead? Also, somebody has got to use or at least attempt to use the immortality power of the Ope Ope no mi at some point in the manga. Hey maybe Law is gonna go out using it on Luffy this fight? Eh, maybe not, though.

Anyway, I like how Robin calls him Traguy as well.