AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2008-11-04, 10:29   Link #1
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Fansubs using Theora?

Now that the Theora codec has been officially released, I wondered whether it might start appearing in anime fansubs. It's completely free (BSD license) and will be supported by default in upcoming releases of Firefox and Opera. H.264 is patented, and its use in some jurisdictions like the US requires payment of licensing fees.

I'm not trying to start a codec flamewar here, just wondering if Theora is a plausible choice for fansubbers. How does it compare to H.264?
Old 2008-11-04, 11:01   Link #2
emptyeighty

As far as quality goes, forget it. H.264 beats the VP3-based Theora hands-down. As for patent or licensing fee issues, so far no one has bothered. Additionally, H.264 can already be played back in every browser with a recent version of flash.
Old 2008-11-05, 03:49   Link #3
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Theora is competitive with MPEG-2. Xvid decodes faster, encodes faster, and gets better quality. Theora is stillborn. Almost nobody is going to use an awfully designed format just because its patent-free.

Contrast with Vorbis, which was promoted as patent-free, but widely accepted because it was actually better than MP3.

Also, internet distribution of H.264 video is free under the MPEG-LA licensing rules, so the point is moot.
Old 2008-11-11, 10:39   Link #4
Eviltape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Almost nobody is going to use an awfully designed format just because its patent-free.
Well, I can think of a lot of companies that will use this over MPEG2 just so they can free up space in the budget for better things other than licensing a video format. Maybe we'll see "Encoded with ffmpeg2theora" rather than "Encoded with TMPGEnc" in VNs, commercial games, and other things soon enough.
Old 2008-11-11, 11:42   Link #5
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltape View Post
Well, I can think of a lot of companies that will use this over MPEG2 just so they can free up space in the budget for better things other than licensing a video format.
MPEG-1 is already widely used for this purpose in many Japanese games.