AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-20, 03:56   Link #161
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Can anyone explain the joke behind the "Childish" sign?
Old 2010-10-20, 04:07   Link #162
Kakkou
Tch.

^ It's a language joke. When the big letters meant to be "sophisticated" get read along with the letters on the sign next door, it ends up meaning "childish" instead.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 04:29   Link #163
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

^ It's a bit more complicated than that. Tatsuno intended daininki (大人気), which means "hugely popular"

The first two characters form the word for adult otona (大人), add the ki and you get "maturity" otonage (大人気)* => if you negate that by adding the -nai, you get childish/immature.

* yes, the sound of the last character has changed as well. That's Japanese for you.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-10-28 at 09:10.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 04:46   Link #164
Kakkou
Tch.

Ack, rewatching that scene again while paying better attention made me catch that she said dainiki. This is what I get for not using my own ears when watching lol *slaps self*. I understand why gg used "sophisticated" from the very start to make the joke less confusing for non-speakers though.
Old 2010-10-20, 04:51   Link #165
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
^ It's a bit more complicated than that. Tatsuno intended daininki (大人気), which means "hugely popular"

The first two characters form the word for adult otona (大人), add the ki and you get "maturity" otonage (大人気)* => if you negate that by adding the -nai, you get childish/immature.

* yes, the sound of the last character has changed. That's Japanese for you.
It's unexpected easy to understand , to say the true...

Basically if it's translated to English it will be something like...

"Hugely popular...not "

??
Old 2010-10-20, 05:26   Link #166
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
It's unexpected easy to understand , to say the true...

Basically if it's translated to English it will be something like...

"Hugely popular...not "

??
It's not difficult to understand. But I'd say that it's pretty difficult to translate AND keep the actual meaning. Just by adding the -nai, the way we read it changes (i.e. the pronunciation of the kanji), so the meaning changes too.

=> "Hugely popular...with kids"

Sounds clunky, of course, but *shrugs* I'm just glad I'm not translating this...

And disclaimer...I haven't watched the subs, so I don't really know how they did it...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-10-20 at 05:52.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 21:25   Link #167
Midonin
Last Engage

I've noticed this trend for a while, but with "DOWN TOWN" getting a full PV for it, one of Shaft's musical trends is at the forefront. Maria Holic's ED. Vampire Bund's OP. SoreMachi's OP. Everything for Natsu no Arashi! that wasn't an OP or ED. Either Shaft, Shinbo or someone loves using covers of old songs for show themes.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 22:19   Link #168
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I've noticed this trend for a while, but with "DOWN TOWN" getting a full PV for it, one of Shaft's musical trends is at the forefront. Maria Holic's ED. Vampire Bund's OP. SoreMachi's OP. Everything for Natsu no Arashi! that wasn't an OP or ED. Either Shaft, Shinbo or someone loves using covers of old songs for show themes.
It seems to be a new trend of doing covers of old songs these days. While not used as a theme, Durarara!! is doing character cover songs with the dvd releases. Sora no Otoshimono uses covers as ED themes past the first episode for both seasons and Ookami-san not only had a cover of Akazukin-chan Goyoujin as it's ED, but also a character cover album. I wonder which series will be the next to follow.
Old 2010-10-22, 16:28   Link #169
Sparvid
*hic*

I'm happy with my current avatar, so I'll just leave this here as a freebie:

Old 2010-10-22, 16:43   Link #170
Woland
Latin Rascal

They improved the ED animation again for episode 3... Are they going to add a new sequence in every episode (something to look forward for the last episode, really)?
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 23:53   Link #171
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

I'm loving this anime more and more... It's about simple, recurring daily life, but that's why it is so entertaining. The humour here is just so realistic and reflective to us. Search of unreality from the realism, that's the main strength of this series.

ED is just brilliant.
Old 2010-10-23, 04:46   Link #172
Sides

Never notice how much efford they actually put into the surroundings. I didn't notice the pantings, in the café, until this episode.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 07:32   Link #173
firehawk12

I'm curious, what do the "poco" bits refer to?
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 08:32   Link #174
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Heh Hotori was having some major Osaka-like moments in episode 3. Also, Natsuhiko-sensei needs his own show.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2010-10-23 at 08:51. Reason: Oops!
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 08:33   Link #175
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Also, Arashiyama-sensei needs his own show.
Don't you mean Natsuhiko, the maths teacher? Arashiyama is Hotori's surname.
Old 2010-10-23, 13:05   Link #176
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I have to say, I was impressed by Omigawa's performance in episode 3. Hotori's cheeky moments were great, she sounded SO annoying. Did anyone here manage to find out the mystery behind the paintings before Hotori revealed it? She may seem dumb (and she is, to some extent) but she's got some nice detective skills.

Nice to finally see Kon! She was just as awesome as I thought she'd be (she's got a fang! a fang! :3 ). When Hotori told her she had an odd voice, I couldn't help but think "Look who's talking!"
I like Kon's very good boyish voice, actually.
Old 2010-10-23, 21:57   Link #177
broken270
Defying gravity

Spoiler:
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 21:59   Link #178
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This one is really growing on me. Sometimes oddball shows - especially comedies - kind of chip at your resistance until you let yourself enter their universe completely. The Shaft visual trickery is subdued but just noticeable enough to be interesting, and the cast is uniformly great. Best of all the humor is revealing itself to be really clever in a degenerate way...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 02:05   Link #179
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
It seems to be a new trend of doing covers of old songs these days... I wonder which series will be the next to follow.
Tamayura is using Yasashisa ni Tsutsumareta Nara, the old Kiki's Delivery Sevice ED, as its opening, also sung by Ma'aya by the way.

The band for this OP, Downtown, is Roundtable, who apparently left Nino at home this time out (fuming I'm sure at being bumped by Ma'aya).

This certainly is turning out to be quite a clever show. I had initially heard that this was to be a detective show, and we finally saw some detection. It was quite a clever puzzle that I didn't figure out.

The wordplay is clever and tough to keep up with. Does anyone have a better explanation of the cat-onion-squid sore wa ika thing than "squid pro quo"? Although that's quite clever too. I'll have to remember that for Ika Musume.
Old 2010-10-24, 05:49   Link #180
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
The wordplay is clever and tough to keep up with. Does anyone have a better explanation of the cat-onion-squid sore wa ika thing than "squid pro quo"? Although that's quite clever too. I'll have to remember that for Ika Musume.

Oh, I know that one. Hotori turned the phrase into 'sore wa ika-n'. Yeah, it was a pretty lame joke.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, romance, seinen